Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2668 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 19, 2014 10:45:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wintercross,

There shouldn't be any issues with weapon types or classes.
Most likely something went wrong in the conversion process for the mesh.

I'll redo the mesh and see if that's it

Quoting Makon86,

This may be a dumb question, but did you put at least 1 target on the "back" weapon bank in the ship entity file?

Yes, just double checked to make sure.

Gonna test something else out that I thought wouldn't matter that very well might be the issue...brb

Edit: Ok, now I am confused.  I tried again without making any changes and its working now.  The hardpoint isn't located in the right place (i tried to give a best estimate since I know nothing of modelling and didn't wanna go thru too much trouble for one hardpoint).  I am loading a save game so that may have been the cause and i also had my computer put to sleep while I was out so maybe the old mesh was still in memory until the computer hibernated?  Sorry for the trouble, I should be able to take it from here

February 19, 2014 11:56:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Quoting Wintercross, reply 2174

There shouldn't be any issues with weapon types or classes.
Most likely something went wrong in the conversion process for the mesh.

I'll redo the mesh and see if that's it

Quoting Makon86, reply 2175
This may be a dumb question, but did you put at least 1 target on the "back" weapon bank in the ship entity file?

Yes, just double checked to make sure.

Gonna test something else out that I thought wouldn't matter that very well might be the issue...brb

Edit: Ok, now I am confused.  I tried again without making any changes and its working now.  The hardpoint isn't located in the right place (i tried to give a best estimate since I know nothing of modelling and didn't wanna go thru too much trouble for one hardpoint).  I am loading a save game so that may have been the cause and i also had my computer put to sleep while I was out so maybe the old mesh was still in memory until the computer hibernated?  Sorry for the trouble, I should be able to take it from here

That happens sometimes when messing with hard points while in-game.  Sometimes the game reloads it properly, sometimes it does.  One thing I found was that sometimes ability and weapon points would seem to reload when in game just fine (after minor edits in notepad to fine tune positions), but exhaust point alterations would require me to start a new game or restart sins entirely.  it is just sins being funky.

February 19, 2014 12:40:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Makon86,

That happens sometimes when messing with hard points while in-game.  Sometimes the game reloads it properly, sometimes it does.  One thing I found was that sometimes ability and weapon points would seem to reload when in game just fine (after minor edits in notepad to fine tune positions), but exhaust point alterations would require me to start a new game or restart sins entirely.  it is just sins being funky.

Thats the thing, I always quit out of Sins when I make edits and then restart and reload the save.  Only time I have seen this not work was when I added an ability to a spawned unit.  Respawning the unit fixed that.  I was actually beginning to think that because my mesh hardpoint was "off" (since I made a educated guess) that that was the reason why it wasn't firing.  Glad to know thats not it.  Now if I can just figure out why one race is not expanding in a multistar system where the other 2 are I will be pretty good.

February 19, 2014 2:01:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Quoting Makon86, reply 2177

Thats the thing, I always quit out of Sins when I make edits and then restart and reload the save.  Only time I have seen this not work was when I added an ability to a spawned unit.  Respawning the unit fixed that.  I was actually beginning to think that because my mesh hardpoint was "off" (since I made a educated guess) that that was the reason why it wasn't firing.  Glad to know thats not it.  Now if I can just figure out why one race is not expanding in a multistar system where the other 2 are I will be pretty good.

I have noticed that with the AI's as well... During testing of 7ds ill switch active players to the AI and just watch what they do, sometimes they take friggin forever to do anything.  I attribute it to shoddy AI logic lol, because sometimes they behave fine and expand freakishly fast... But other times, not so much...

February 19, 2014 4:32:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Makon86,

I have noticed that with the AI's as well... During testing of 7ds ill switch active players to the AI and just watch what they do, sometimes they take friggin forever to do anything.  I attribute it to shoddy AI logic lol, because sometimes they behave fine and expand freakishly fast... But other times, not so much...

Yea, I have noticed that too.  But more often than not, recently I might add, its this one race which seems to never scout/expand where the other 2 do most of the time.  I have been making alot of changes to this race recently but don't know what I could have done to cause this behavior.  Does it "confuse" the AI to assign multiple roletypes to frigates?For instance, I set my siege frigate to "Seige" and "Light" so it would also attack other ships without having to be directed to do so manually every time.

February 19, 2014 4:39:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,
Does it "confuse" the AI to assign multiple roletypes to frigates?

No, it does not.

Quoting AceXMachine,
I set my siege frigate to "Seige" and "Light" so it would also attack other ships without having to be directed to do so manually every time.

Frigates that can bomb planets will always rush planets no matter what role type you give them.

February 19, 2014 8:20:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Yea, I have noticed that too.  But more often than not, recently I might add, its this one race which seems to never scout/expand where the other 2 do most of the time.  I have been making alot of changes to this race recently but don't know what I could have done to cause this behavior.  Does it "confuse" the AI to assign multiple roletypes to frigates?For instance, I set my siege frigate to "Seige" and "Light" so it would also attack other ships without having to be directed to do so manually every time.

Yeah as lavo said the number of role types shouldn't matter, I know we have some frigs with multiple roletypes and the AI is fine with it.... I know that if you don't have certain role types defined (i.e. if you don't have a 'heavy' frigate or 'starbase constructor' frigate type) sometimes the game will throw a fit.

February 20, 2014 9:25:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Quoting Makon86,

I feel kind of bad tooting my horn, but I did quite a bit of research into Sins' AI and wrote all my findings in the Artificial Unintelligence thread on the forum (along with posting the AI mod I made based on said findings).

frigateRoleType will only affect what ships the AI builds, it does not affect the way it handles said ships once they're built (with the exception of AntiModule, since that automatically makes it so that ships can only attack buildings). For example, you can have the AI build less siege frigates by assigning the Siege frigateRoleType to other ships; if you assign it to a Heavy Frigate, the AI will consider building either a Heavy Frigate or a Siege Frigate when it wants to build "siege" ships. Based on what someone else found and I verified, the AI will always, ALWAYS go straight for the planet with any frigate that can bomb planets, irrespective of their frigateRoleType. The only way you could make AI siege frigates actually participate in fights is to remove their planet bombing capability (maybe have it toggleable with an ability that autocasts if there are no enemy ships nearby?).

As for the AI reacting slowly, that has to do with the BuildXYZ values in Gameplay.constants. Said BuildXYZ values are check frequency parameters and are set to single-digit numbers by default. Simply multiplying every value by 100 will produce noticeable results (it will increase AI reaction speed by about 4x), but a word of warning: the higher you set those values, the more lag you'll get with AI in the game, since eg. instead of checking whether they want to research every minute or so, they'll be checking every 10 seconds.

February 21, 2014 2:14:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm not sure if anyone has messed with Random Events much, but from my experiments spawnType "RacialBuffAtLocation" appears to only work on triggers, not other types of random events. Which is quite unfortunate, as that seems to take a lot of flexibility out of this mechanic.

February 21, 2014 2:40:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
I'm not sure if anyone has messed with Random Events much, but from my experiments spawnType "RacialBuffAtLocation" appears to only work on triggers, not other types of random events. Which is quite unfortunate, as that seems to take a lot of flexibility out of this mechanic.

I can confirm this based on my own testing as well. I can also confirm that "RacialBuffAtLocation" cannot be used in tandem with the Open Rebellion event/trigger.

February 21, 2014 2:53:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
I can confirm this based on my own testing as well. I can also confirm that "RacialBuffAtLocation" cannot be used in tandem with the Open Rebellion event/trigger.

Well, that solves another one of my problems. So you mean RacialBuffAtLocation can only be used on a culture flip?

February 21, 2014 3:21:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
Well, that solves another one of my problems. So you mean RacialBuffAtLocation can only be used on a culture flip?

That is what I would assume. When I tried mixing it and Open Rebellion, iirc the planet was successfully killed, but the fleet never spawned nor was the planet re-colonized. Got an odd dialogue message for the event on top of that.

February 22, 2014 12:45:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Quoting AceXMachine, reply 2180Does it "confuse" the AI to assign multiple roletypes to frigates?

No, it does not.

Quoting AceXMachine, reply 2180I set my siege frigate to "Seige" and "Light" so it would also attack other ships without having to be directed to do so manually every time.

Frigates that can bomb planets will always rush planets no matter what role type you give them.

OK, good to know about the multiple roletypes.  I was aware about the bombing run for ships with bombing capabilities, I just wanted them to also attack other units automatically when not in an enemy's planet grav well.

Quoting Delnar_Ersike,

I feel kind of bad tooting my horn, but I did quite a bit of research into Sins' AI and wrote all my findings in the Artificial Unintelligence thread on the forum (along with posting the AI mod I made based on said findings).

frigateRoleType will only affect what ships the AI builds, it does not affect the way it handles said ships once they're built (with the exception of AntiModule, since that automatically makes it so that ships can only attack buildings). For example, you can have the AI build less siege frigates by assigning the Siege frigateRoleType to other ships; if you assign it to a Heavy Frigate, the AI will consider building either a Heavy Frigate or a Siege Frigate when it wants to build "siege" ships. Based on what someone else found and I verified, the AI will always, ALWAYS go straight for the planet with any frigate that can bomb planets, irrespective of their frigateRoleType. The only way you could make AI siege frigates actually participate in fights is to remove their planet bombing capability (maybe have it toggleable with an ability that autocasts if there are no enemy ships nearby?).

As for the AI reacting slowly, that has to do with the BuildXYZ values in Gameplay.constants. Said BuildXYZ values are check frequency parameters and are set to single-digit numbers by default. Simply multiplying every value by 100 will produce noticeable results (it will increase AI reaction speed by about 4x), but a word of warning: the higher you set those values, the more lag you'll get with AI in the game, since eg. instead of checking whether they want to research every minute or so, they'll be checking every 10 seconds.

I actually reviewed a good bit of that thread for info so I was aware about alot of what you mentioned.  Somewhere I learned that if scouts were set to autoattack by default that my hurt the AI in scouting (something I did change so scouts would at least pretend to put up a fight when scouting).  I have changed this back and will see if thats the case with the race I am having difficulty with because the other 2 races I didn't make that change and they expand just fine.  I am also playing almost exclusively on my own custom maps with heavy neutral colonies (had to increase pirate strength as well because raids couldn't make it past more than 2 or so terran/desert/etc planets with heavy defenses hehe).  I have found this to be the most fun as it allows me to play against the hardest/multiple AIs without being overwhelmed before I can get a decent economy/fleet going and the battles are epic.  

Big thanks to all the help provided for me in this thread.  

February 24, 2014 12:43:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey guys!

I have noticed something very odd. For some reason the galaxyfoge and every premade map is ignoring the fact that i have changed this two valuable (moveAreaRadius 160000.000000 hyperspaceExitRadius 130000.000000). Only random maps using my modified version of the planet entities. However, the metal and cristal asteroids are still calculating their position useing my modified variables effectively placeing them outside of the gravity well!!

Is anyone has any idea that what the hell is going on?

February 24, 2014 1:06:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lordcronos,

Hey guys!

I have noticed something very odd. For some reason the galaxyfoge and every premade map is ignoring the fact that i have changed this two valuable (moveAreaRadius 160000.000000 hyperspaceExitRadius 130000.000000). Only random maps using my modified version of the planet entities. However, the metal and cristal asteroids are still calculating their position useing my modified variables effectively placeing them outside of the gravity well!!

I'm not sure I understand exactly how you configured the maps (Are they Random Seed maps you edited in GalaxyForge?), but I do know GalaxyForge does not play nice with Random Seed maps so you may want to change those variables using a text editor after restoring the original maps if that is the case.  Disregard if I have completely misunderstood the scenario.

February 24, 2014 1:32:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Galaxy Forge needs an updated copy of the galaxy file in the same directory as the exe.

As for existing maps, designed maps have set values for these and will override your planet setting.  You'll have to go through and change them.

February 24, 2014 1:45:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lordcronos,

Hey guys!

If you look in the map files, you'll notice that you can specify the exact moveAreaRadius and hyperspaceExitRadius of each individual planet. As a result, galaxy forge maps do not use the values in the entity files anymore, they use the ones specified in the map.

February 24, 2014 2:36:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, run into another stumbling block (this is getting old)

I have a ship that has an ability to make itself invulnerable for as long as its antimatter holds out (ability drains antimatter).  I wanted to make it so that when the ship fires its weapons it loses its invulnerability for a short time (1-2 seconds).  So in the Ability's Buff I added an PeriodicAction to activate a new buff "onweaponfired" that is supposed to interrupt the CannotBeDamaged using CancelCannotBeDamaged with the appropriate timeframe but nothing happens.  I have tried every reasonable combo of buffInstantActionType, actionIntervalTime, with and without DoInterrupt in the second buff etc I can think of and unless the "OnWeaponFired" is special someway I can't figure out how to get it to work.  If I change "OnWeaponFired" to "AlwaysPerform" then it does it for the set interval/timeelapsed.  Whats weird also is that even if I add a weapon entitymodifier like "WeaponCooldown" I don't get that either with on OnWeaponFired set.  This is what I have so far on my last attempt

Main Buff:

http://pastebin.com/vb7mHQhf

Second Buff:

http://pastebin.com/RrzV8Rvq

(Are there no code boxes we can use for these things or am I just missing it)

Edit: Used PasteBin

February 25, 2014 6:51:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, since it appears that OnWeaponFired is tied to ApplyBuffToTargetOnWeaponFired I created another buff to chain to the CancelCannotBeDamaged.  I tried setting the 2nd buff to ApplyBuffToTargetsInRadius with the targetFilter set to Friendly/Player and Titan with the final buff having the CancelCannotBeDamaged but that didn't work either.  Also tried ApplyBuffToFirstSpawnerNoFilterNoRange, still no joy.  What the hell am I missing?

Buff 1

http://pastebin.com/W6AxFRzx

Buff 2

http://pastebin.com/qsbnuNzD

Buff 3

http://pastebin.com/91DjNrQ9

Thanks for any suggestions you may have

February 27, 2014 6:13:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No ideas anyone?

February 27, 2014 6:36:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Try looking at AbilityDisruptiveStrikes.entity

February 28, 2014 9:25:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

just wondering, is there any other options for: spawnShipsHyperspaceSpawnType "FleetBeacon"?

or is "FleetBeacon" the only choice?

February 28, 2014 9:33:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wintercross,

just wondering, is there any other options for: spawnShipsHyperspaceSpawnType "FleetBeacon"?

or is "FleetBeacon" the only choice?

There is a pirate raid option. However I think this only affects what sort of message comes up when the ships come in. It doesn't appear to make a difference functionally which one you use.

February 28, 2014 10:11:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there any way to get a spawned ship to say the onbuild line when spawned?

February 28, 2014 10:21:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wintercross,

Is there any way to get a spawned ship to say the onbuild line when spawned?

Nope.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: