Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2668 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 20, 2014 11:41:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting simonak,
Um, I'm like really rookie with this stuff, how do I make those, is there a tutorial around you could suggest?

It is just a null, you can create those from the menu on the left. Just look for some general XSI tutorials since no one has made any specific too Sins outside the PDF included in the forge tools in the download section.

Quoting simonak,
Also got a new question, this ones a bit of a doozy though. I've been exporting models from EvE Online and a few of them are multi texture models. I get the basics of how to make alpha layers, data maps and normal maps from the video, but what do I do with multi texture objects, how do I try get all those textures onto one model? I hope I'm explaining ok as I don't know much in the way of terminology or how this all works, real work in progress learning if you get me

You need to give the model multiple materials, which is also explained in the PDF I think (I've never done it myself though). Or you can combine all the textures into one sheet and then move the UV map sections to the proper places.

May 21, 2014 4:07:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Feel a bit of a tit by asking those things now, i'll do a touch more research before hitting up the questions thread

May 21, 2014 12:19:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Made a tutorial for exporting Sins models, from 3ds Max to Softimage to a ConvertXSI-ready XSI, should be helpful for people here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VYVC0RznBA

May 29, 2014 5:40:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does anyone know how to make the game recordings (recordreb files) save to a text-based format instead of binary? I know it's possible to do that for save games. I'd like to write an external parser/plotter for various things over time from recordings, in particular in order to better evaluate the combat effectiveness of some maneuvers by plotting things like hp and effective dps over time for ships with all-around weapon banks when they move around. I know how to look at the instantaneous values of effective dps in the dev exe, but I need them plotted over time to gain more insight. This is for my Orky guide right now, but I can imagine it would be useful for other things.

May 30, 2014 12:02:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And a different question: does anyone know the exact angles for the weapon bank firing arcs? Are they moddable? The horizontal ones seem to be 120 degrees total (60 degrees on both sides of the weapon's axis), but I've seen ships fire at more extreme angles when the target is in motion; in particular, guns seem to fire at an even wider angle (close to 90 degrees off axis) when the target is moving toward the firing cone. It's also not clear where the tips of the cones are located. For instance, on the Orky the side banks seem to originate further to the sides while the front and back ones are almost centered; this is most obvious when vertical angles are considered because the side banks have a bigger blind spot on top of the Orky compared to the front and back banks.

May 30, 2014 3:01:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting RespawnedTitanL10,

And a different question: does anyone know the exact angles for the weapon bank firing arcs? Are they moddable? The horizontal ones seem to be 120 degrees total (60 degrees on both sides of the weapon's axis), but I've seen ships fire at more extreme angles when the target is in motion; in particular, guns seem to fire at an even wider angle (close to 90 degrees off axis) when the target is moving toward the firing cone. It's also not clear where the tips of the cones are located. For instance, on the Orky the side banks seem to originate further to the sides while the front and back ones are almost centered; this is most obvious when vertical angles are considered because the side banks have a bigger blind spot on top of the Orky compared to the front and back banks.

You are over thinking this. Yes firing arcs seem to be somewhere between 120-180 degrees degrees and no they are not moddable. Weirdness with moving targets occurs because weapon effects are purely cosmetic in Sins. When the weapon was set to fire and did its damage the ship was in arc A, but it then moved into arc B so the weapon effect fired into arc B, since it will always hit its target. Its just like missiles continuing to follow the target after it jumps into phase space.

May 30, 2014 9:52:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

You are over thinking this. Yes firing arcs seem to be somewhere between 120-180 degrees degrees and no they are not moddable. Weirdness with moving targets occurs because weapon effects are purely cosmetic in Sins. When the weapon was set to fire and did its damage the ship was in arc A, but it then moved into arc B so the weapon effect fired into arc B, since it will always hit its target. Its just like missiles continuing to follow the target after it jumps into phase space.

hopefully Sins 2 will go for object based weapons and fix this problem while also allowing weapons to miss

May 31, 2014 7:01:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting RespawnedTitanL10,

Does anyone know how to make the game recordings (recordreb files) save to a text-based format instead of binary? I know it's possible to do that for save games. I'd like to write an external parser/plotter for various things over time from recordings, in particular in order to better evaluate the combat effectiveness of some maneuvers by plotting things like hp and effective dps over time for ships with all-around weapon banks when they move around. I know how to look at the instantaneous values of effective dps in the dev exe, but I need them plotted over time to gain more insight. This is for my Orky guide right now, but I can imagine it would be useful for other things.

After opening rebellion.user.settings I found 

SavedGameFileFormat 1
RecordedGameFileFormat 1

Since changing the former to 0 is known to produce a text save, any dumbass could have figured that the latter does exactly the same for recordings... What's more interesting is the recording format. It's basically a save game followed by some simulation steps. This at least explains why a bug in a save game also shows up in a recording thereof...

June 8, 2014 6:49:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Made an interesting discovery right now. It appears that particle effects have "priority" over shield meshes. To illustrate, say you have a ship that is made invisible. It's actual "mesh" is created through a particle effect of size 1x, while the shield mesh of the ship is the "mesh" at a size of 1.03x. When the ship is attacked, you will not see the full shield mesh flare up, even though it is bigger, you will only see the outer edge of the shield mesh light up.

June 8, 2014 11:21:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Made an interesting discovery right now. It appears that particle effects have "priority" over shield meshes. To illustrate, say you have a ship that is made invisible. It's actual "mesh" is created through a particle effect of size 1x, while the shield mesh of the ship is the "mesh" at a size of 1.03x. When the ship is attacked, you will not see the full shield mesh flare up, even though it is bigger, you will only see the outer edge of the shield mesh light up.

Could you get a video of this effect?

June 9, 2014 1:47:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Unfortunately I cannot; when I had written that post I had already removed the buffs and meshes used in that experiment.

June 16, 2014 3:28:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Listing below appears towards the end of the "Gameplay" file. I am wondering what the highlighted number actually means?, and goes between 0 and ?

playerAISharedDef
        table-Aggressive
            BuildShip 27
            BuildModuleTactical 2
            BuildModuleCivilian 1
            BuildModuleResearch 3
            UpgradeResearch 3
            UpgradePlanetArtifactLevel 1
            UpgradePlanetPopulation 1
            UpgradePlanetInfastructure 1
            UpgradePlanetSocial 1
            UpgradePlanetIndustry 3
            MaxBountyBidCount 3
            UpgradeStarBase 2
            BuildMines 1
        table-Defensive
            BuildShip 23
            BuildModuleTactical 4
            BuildModuleCivilian 2
            BuildModuleResearch 2
            UpgradeResearch 3
            UpgradePlanetArtifactLevel 0
            UpgradePlanetInfastructure 2
            UpgradePlanetSocial 2
            UpgradePlanetIndustry 2
            MaxBountyBidCount 3
            UpgradeStarBase 3
            BuildMines 3
        table-Research
            BuildShip 23
            BuildModuleTactical 2
            BuildModuleCivilian 2
            BuildModuleResearch 5
            UpgradeResearch 5
            UpgradePlanetArtifactLevel 2
            UpgradePlanetInfastructure 1
            UpgradePlanetSocial 2
            UpgradePlanetIndustry 2
            MaxBountyBidCount 3
            UpgradeStarBase 1
            BuildMines 1
        table-Economic
            BuildShip 24
            BuildModuleTactical 2
            BuildModuleCivilian 3
            BuildModuleResearch 2
            UpgradeResearch 2
            UpgradePlanetArtifactLevel 2
            UpgradePlanetPopulation 3
            UpgradePlanetInfastructure 3
            UpgradePlanetSocial 0
            UpgradePlanetIndustry 3
            MaxBountyBidCount 3
            UpgradeStarBase 1
            BuildMines 1

June 16, 2014 3:59:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They AI makes checks, I'm not attentive enough to know the details, assuming anyone has the foundation solid without an actual dev saying "it does X" but the basic idea is that the higher the number, the more often the ai goes "should I build this" or "can I build this".

Really high numbers can potentially result in a more proactive, useful AI, but the higher the numbers are, the more the AI lags the shit out of the game.

June 16, 2014 5:41:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting rjhughes67,

Listing below appears towards the end of the "Gameplay" file. I am wondering what the highlighted number actually means?, and goes between 0 and ?

Psychoak nailed it, but this is the thread all the AI stuff has been discussed in, though its a bit messy and scattered around. 

June 17, 2014 9:09:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting psychoak,
They AI makes checks, I'm not attentive enough to know the details, assuming anyone has the foundation solid without an actual dev saying "it does X" but the basic idea is that the higher the number, the more often the ai goes "should I build this" or "can I build this".

Correct, but there is one caveat though: the AI still only gives out orders during AI ticks, which happen once every 10 seconds. Even if the AI is checking whether or not it should build ships once every second, it will still only queue up ships to be built every 10 seconds, so increasing the values to very high values becomes pointless after a while.

Quoting GoaFan77,
Psychoak nailed it, but this is the thread all the AI stuff has been discussed in, though its a bit messy and scattered around.

I'm guessing you're talking about the Artificial Unintelligence thread. Eh, sorry about the formatting, I initially wanted to group stuff by entityType, but things soon started to overlap and I started uncovering stuff that isn't tied to any entityType, so that's why details might be in weird places. I've been intermittently making minor formatting tweaks, but the more I fiddle with it, the more I realize I'll eventually need to move it over to a separate webpage, since there's only so much you can do in a forum post. Also, I think I found an easy way to trigger the generic faction AI, so I might just be able to hone in your odd capital ship grouping thing.

June 17, 2014 10:13:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Delnar_Ersike,
it will still only queue up ships to be built every 10 seconds, so increasing the values to very high values becomes pointless after a while.

Is this affected by game speed in settings (slow, normal, fast, faster)?

June 17, 2014 10:49:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
Is this affected by game speed in settings (slow, normal, fast, faster)?

As far as I've seen, it isn't: all game speed settings do is multiply various income, speed, acceleration, etc. values as dictated by gameplay.constants, they don't actually increase the speed of the game itself (eg. Slow Income Speed decreases your resource income by a certain amount instead of increasing the amount of time between income ticks). However, speeding the game itself up by 2x, 4x, 6x, and 8x via the plus and minus buttons next to the salvage button does increase AI tick frequency.

BTW, the easiest way to get a generic faction AI is to alter the planetModuleRoleType of a faction-specific tactical structure to that of a faction-generic one. For example, if TEC's shield generator's planetModuleRoleType is changed to REPAIRPLATFORM, TEC AIs will operate using the generic faction AI; ditto for Advent with their antimatter rechargers and Vasari with their weapons jammers. The best part about this trick is that no actual stats are changed, so factions still play like they would in the unmodded game.

June 18, 2014 7:00:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hello Guys!

I am struggling with understanding that why isn't AbilityDetectPhaseJump doesn't seam to work when i give it as an ability to my new SensorStation orbital module.

Also, is there any thoughts on why does the reference files contains 3 buffs for this ability but only 1 directly referenced from the AbilityDetectPhaseJump.entity file and the rest are seam to be hanging in the air and referencing each other. "Strange!"

BuffDetectPhaseJump.entity

BuffDetectPhaseJumpModuleOnPlanet.entity

BuffDetectPhaseJumpModuleOnSpawner.entity

Any help would be appreciated.

Just to be clear what i want to make with all this, it is a sensor station capable of detecting incoming enemy ships without the need for RESEARCHSUBJECT_HYPERSPACE_DETECTIONTECH0. Also when i say sensor station i mean a build-able orbital module not a star-base.

Thx Guys!!!

June 19, 2014 4:30:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The big 5v5s maps popular on ICO (Huge Single-System Random Map Fair.galaxy) use basically just WeightedRandomFair and RandomFair for most of the map (except for the moon/roid/volcanic Fair near the homeworlds). There are approximately four times more WeightedRandomFairs than RandomFair on those maps. Does anyone know how the WeightedRandom[s] work, i.e. how are they weighted? 

Ah, the answer is rather simple in GalaxyScenarioDef.galaxyScenarioDef: the "Weighted" lists contain repetitions for the same planet type (so as to make the [probability] distribution non-uniform). There's probably no other kind of weighting going on.

June 19, 2014 5:37:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lordcronos,
Also, is there any thoughts on why does the reference files contains 3 buffs for this ability but only 1 directly referenced from the AbilityDetectPhaseJump.entity file and the rest are seam to be hanging in the air and referencing each other. "Strange!"

Abilities can only reference one buff, then that buff spawns the other buffs that are needed.

Honestly I've not done much with this ability so I can't answer any of the details.

June 20, 2014 5:50:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Quoting lordcronos, reply 2293Also, is there any thoughts on why does the reference files contains 3 buffs for this ability but only 1 directly referenced from the AbilityDetectPhaseJump.entity file and the rest are seam to be hanging in the air and referencing each other. "Strange!"

Abilities can only reference one buff, then that buff spawns the other buffs that are needed.

Honestly I've not done much with this ability so I can't answer any of the details.

I was afraid that this ability is not so much been tinkered with.
For some reason the entityBoolModifier "DetectIncomingHyperspacingEntities" seams to show up on the orbital module but the effect does not .

Though i know that Abilities can only reference one buff that two other buff seams not to be referenced from any ability. 

Anyhow i believe i can go around the problem though it wont be so nit

Thx guys!

June 20, 2014 6:21:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hello Guys Again!

I was wondering that if anyone would help me a bit with 3ds Max 2013 and the SOASE 3dsmax importer and exporter tool updated for Rebellion. I am not a modeller, and the only think i learned so far is how to import a bunch of Sword of The Stars assets and set them up with their respected textures so they are looking gorgeous but only within the confides of 3ds Max. The next step would be to set up the hardpoints and to export it so SOASE Rebellion likes it. I read as much as i could on the matter, but no luck, as i am the type of guy who learns from show and see and then i can do it myself.

I am asking for anyone who knows this stuff and would have a couple hours on Skype and on TeamViewer9 showing it to me. 

I have done a good chunk of the economic research tree so far, and if you played SOTS then you can guess how research is going to look like. So soon i have left no more with then the Weapons tree which could realy use the ships to begin with, this is why i am in need to figure this exporting stuff out soon.

Here is my sykpe: borbas.zoltan24

Contact me on it if you can help.

Thx guys!

June 20, 2014 8:51:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lordcronos,

Hello Guys Again!

I was wondering that if anyone would help me a bit with 3ds Max 2013 and the SOASE 3dsmax importer and exporter tool updated for Rebellion. I am not a modeller, and the only think i learned so far is how to import a bunch of Sword of The Stars assets and set them up with their respected textures so they are looking gorgeous but only within the confides of 3ds Max. The next step would be to set up the hardpoints and to export it so SOASE Rebellion likes it. I read as much as i could on the matter, but no luck, as i am the type of guy who learns from show and see and then i can do it myself.

I am asking for anyone who knows this stuff and would have a couple hours on Skype and on TeamViewer9 showing it to me. 

I have done a good chunk of the economic research tree so far, and if you played SOTS then you can guess how research is going to look like. So soon i have left no more with then the Weapons tree which could realy use the ships to begin with, this is why i am in need to figure this exporting stuff out soon.

Thx guys!

Hey man, I can give you a quick run through on what is needed. It is rather easy once you work it out. One thing I recommend though is using XSI tool for setting up the models for Sins. I wouldn't be able to help you with exporting from 3DS max as I don't have it or know how to set up tangents in it. (which are pretty important for Rebellion)

June 21, 2014 3:27:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wintercross,

Quoting lordcronos, reply 2297
Hello Guys Again!

Thx guys!

Hey man, I can give you a quick run through on what is needed. It is rather easy once you work it out. One thing I recommend though is using XSI tool for setting up the models for Sins. I wouldn't be able to help you with exporting from 3DS max as I don't have it or know how to set up tangents in it. (which are pretty important for Rebellion)

Hey Eli!

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have both XSI and 3ds Max, the SOTS models are imported into 3ds max but i am sure with your help they can be exported with the proper extension for XSI.

Pls find me on my skype: borbas.zoltan24

Thx!

June 23, 2014 12:42:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wouldn't surprise me if someone else has tried this; however you can put civilian structures in the tactical tab and vice versa. Additionally, the titan factory works as a 100% civilian structure without issue.

What will happen if you say, have a civilian structure in the tactical tab, when you hover over the tactical tab, said civilian structure will show up as having 0 slots, as it costs no tactical slots, but it will take up logistical slots even though it does not show up when you hover over the civilian tab.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time: