Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2668 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 14, 2014 7:06:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jefferies,

Edit: I have tried modifing the visibility data and zoom distance levels in gameplay.constants with no success. Either its a value somewhere else or I haven't understood how to get it right.

Well there is a zoom distance value in each individual star file, but I don't remember what it does, so you might try there...

October 18, 2014 3:36:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Greetings.  Me again.  ( I may as well start living in this forum.  )

My hard drive recently died, and I switched over to a duo-boot system.  ( A split SSD for my OS and a 1TB HD for my main storage system. )  And it seems to have broken my mods.

My game ( Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, through Steam. ) is stored on the 1TB ( E:/ ) while my my main OS ( Including C:/Users/X/My Documents/My Games/Ironclad Games/Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion/Rebellion 1.82 ) is on the SSD.

I've made a few mods that change research, mainly the ability to research it multiple times ( I've tried to change Mass Transcendence and Advent armor, among other things. ) and when I go to the mod menu to enable it gives me a checksum indicating that the mod is, in fact, working.

However, when I load the game up itself, it's still showing the same level limits, as if the mod didn't effect the game.  Can anyone think of why this might be, and provide any tips on how to get my mods to work?

October 19, 2014 4:57:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

From the little I know about modding, I'd ask have you created a mod folder with relevant subfolder entries and the files in question in said mod folder? Then enabled in the mod manager? Dunno if that helps you at all....

I'm wondering how to go about adding new planet types into a mini-mod that just adds new planets. I can't seem to get it to work; I can add new planet types in galaxyforge, but ingame they don't show up, no phase links to them at all... Anyone have any suggestions on what I'm missing?

October 19, 2014 8:07:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey Unikraken here from Sins of the Prophets, we're currently working on our faction economy and I'm curious if anyone has any data-gathering techniques for that kind of thing that can speed up how we're able to visualize what's going on?

October 20, 2014 12:05:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Unikraken,

Hey Unikraken here from Sins of the Prophets, we're currently working on our faction economy and I'm curious if anyone has any data-gathering techniques for that kind of thing that can speed up how we're able to visualize what's going on?

Um, what kind of data are you wanting? I would think the end of game statistics would be your best bet.

October 20, 2014 4:57:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm having trouble making a new ability. My aim is for it to fire a missile just as if it were firing as a normal weapon of this kind. I would like to combine the control and cost of an ability with firing such a weapon.

In the past I have done this by using ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravel. However this makes the missile fire regardless of the relative position of the target ignoring the weapon bank directions front, back, left right.

To overcome this I have tried to combine this with ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone. So in the ability.entity I set buffInstantActionType to ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone and make it play a buff.entity with ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravelNoFilterNoRange To make it fire at ships within the weapon bank direction.

Unfortunately, it does not work. It will consume antimatter for firing but I can't get a buff.entity with ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravelNoFilterNoRange to be triggered by ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone.

Is this simply not possible or am I doing something wrong?

October 20, 2014 11:06:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jefferies,

I'm having trouble making a new ability. My aim is for it to fire a missile just as if it were firing as a normal weapon of this kind. I would like to combine the control and cost of an ability with firing such a weapon.

In the past I have done this by using ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravel. However this makes the missile fire regardless of the relative position of the target ignoring the weapon bank directions front, back, left right.

To overcome this I have tried to combine this with ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone. So in the ability.entity I set buffInstantActionType to ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone and make it play a buff.entity with ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravelNoFilterNoRange To make it fire at ships within the weapon bank direction.

Unfortunately, it does not work. It will consume antimatter for firing but I can't get a buff.entity with ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravelNoFilterNoRange to be triggered by ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone.

Is this simply not possible or am I doing something wrong?

Well, the only direction "Bank" you can simulate if forward, since you can set the line MustFaceTowardsTarget (or whatever its called near the top of the ability file) to True. There is no way to only say have it fire left or backwards, it must either be only forward or it must be ominidirectional (in fact some mods use this to simulate turrets with 360 degree fire). In either case, you need to use ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravel. DirectionalCone is what the Vorastra uses to suck ships in with the Maw, it does not keep track of a single target that ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravel needs.

October 20, 2014 11:09:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone can do any one of the four banks, but it applies it to all targets in the cone.
I dunno if you can use it to trigger other buffs to simulate weapons fire though.

October 21, 2014 1:10:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The problem with MustFaceTowardsTarget  is that the ship must come to a complete stop and then turn to get into the right position which looks really silly as all my ships have fighter movement.

Regarding the target number issue, what you can do with ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone  is you can limit the amount of targets to 1. It would then pick a random target in the cone I would have thought which is fine by me. But alas it just wont trigger ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravel to deliver that missile to the random target.

October 21, 2014 1:18:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jefferies,

Regarding the target number issue, what you can do with ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone  is you can limit the amount of targets to 1. It would then pick a random target in the cone I would have thought which is fine by me. But alas it just wont trigger ApplyBuffToTargetWithTravel to deliver that missile to the random target.

That is what I was trying to say. ApplyBuffToTarget seems to only refer to the original target that the ability was cast on. ApplybuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone was programmed to place a buff on targets and that is it, it does not have the ability to provide ApplyBuffToTarget with a different valid target.

October 21, 2014 11:33:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Perhaps what could be done is go with ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone and amount of targets set to 1, with an ApplyBuffToFirstSpawnerNoFilterNoRange to do an ApplyBuffToLastSpawnerWithTravelNoFilterNoRange with the missile effect and damage?

October 21, 2014 11:12:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Perhaps what could be done is go with ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone and amount of targets set to 1, with an ApplyBuffToFirstSpawnerNoFilterNoRange to do an ApplyBuffToLastSpawnerWithTravelNoFilterNoRange with the missile effect and damage?

man that is some buff ballet going on there lol

October 22, 2014 1:09:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

I forgot we had a last spawner with travel. That is just crazy enough to work.

October 23, 2014 7:35:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

This is a fine idea and I have just tried it. Unfortunately, it still wont trigger. It seems that the sequence stops with ApplyBuffToTargetsInDirectionalCone just as GoaFan said it would.

Thanks for trying to help. I think I will try and create an ability that enhances the firing of the missile instead rather than firing it directly as a compromise solution.

October 23, 2014 8:07:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll repost as I'm stumped.

Trying to create a mod that imports various planet types just for my own entertainment - I've started small, with only one planet; I've created the mod directory as per normal, copied over all relevant entity, mesh & texture files, updated the GalaxyScenarioDef, English.str & entity.manifest (copied the one from stock SINS and just added them in) & also updated the count all around. I can get the planet to show up in Galaxyforge, but if I make a simple map with said new planet (for testing) with only one phase link from each homeworld to it... it doesn't show up in game.

What am I missing?

October 27, 2014 2:57:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs43/i/2009/115/7/0/cosmonaut_by_himnotep.jpg

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

Vanilla Syntax

Entrenchment Syntax 

Diplomacy Syntax

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

Eclipse Definitions Wiki

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Filefactory

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

Zoomba's Galaxy Forge Help (new)

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

MyFist0's Mega Modding Site

October 27, 2014 2:57:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Added Zoomba's GF help thread to header: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/174739/ 

November 8, 2014 1:38:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hello guys!

Does anyone knows why AbilityMicroPhaseJump with needsToFaceTarget TRUE setting, is ends up with turning the ship but not to face the target location rather broad side and then its jump.

I relay would want to create a sort jump capability for my frigates, but the AbilityMicroPhaseJump behaves such a silly way, by tossing the ships trough space, while they are having every kind of facing.

My question is why would any ability set needsToFaceTarget TRUE, casts itself with the ship using broad side stance?

November 8, 2014 3:06:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@lordcronos: If I'm understanding your situation correctly, I believe that is because the Micro Phase Jump type abilities do not have a target per say. You click an empty point in space to use that ability, and I'm guessing that does not count as a target for "needsToFaceTarget". It was probably programmed to only work when the target is another entity, as that was all you could do before Rebellion, and was not updated to Micro Phase Jump.

November 8, 2014 5:21:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Interestingly when needsToFaceTarget  is set to false (only in the case of AbilityMicroPhaseJump ), the ship will cast the ability immediately, while when needsToFaceTarget is set to true the ship will perform a turning maneuver until it achieves the broadside stance.

I belive the "ApplyArbitraryTargettedBuffToSelf" is buggy or rather the needsToFaceTarget True part of this "method" gets the wrong data.

Simply put it is a bug. And since there is no other method which takes ArbitraryTarget as a "parameter" (targeting space and not a ship or other fix entity), therefore i dont have a substitute way to this jumping to one place to another facing toward the damn place, where i want to jump!!!

Wááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááá

Unless anyone else have a better way to do it

November 8, 2014 9:11:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ah, I didn't quite fully understand you then. I swear I remember the Vorastra doing a straight jump before. Perhaps its just hard coded to perform the micro jump when its less than 90 degrees of the direction of the target location.

Edit: Also, why doesn't this thread like quoting.

November 8, 2014 9:57:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The quoting thing seems to be affecting the whole forum at the moment

November 9, 2014 2:47:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

About  the Vorastra as it is slow moving slow turning as all titans, the jumping is a sort of getaway ability therefore it is not slowed down by forcing the Vorastra to turn. You even can jump with it backward if you like.

December 1, 2014 2:50:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hello guys!

Do you guys know how to create an ability which is an aura

projecting another aura onto a starbase

and that aura's effects the planet in the gravity well.

Is there any similar ability where aura projects an aura onto a target?

Anny help would be great!

thx guys!!!!

December 1, 2014 9:17:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What the heck do you mean by an Aura? An AoE effect? Sure, you can link as many AoE spreading effects together as you want. Probably aren't any buff examples, but you might find some on weapons effects that hit multiple targets and the spread further damage. Kortul's ultimate ability comes to mind.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time: