Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD] Rebalanced Races: Rebellion V2.03 [For Rebellion 1.82]

An attempt to balance the races and ships of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

By on September 13, 2011 2:33:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

Volt_Cruelerz

Join Date 06/2008
+94

About

A lot of people complain about the state of the balance of the game due to various reasons.  I am one of them.  For this reason, I made a mod that reworks or buffs the underpowered units of the game in an attempt to make them better and nerfs various overpowered units.

Not one of the things I have in here is something I believe is something that could not be in some form effectively integrated into the game.  I am also basing many of these things off the extensive discussions and tests myself and others have had on the subject.  I do not claim perfection, but I do claim a great deal of effort and I would hope improvement.

This mod is not about making cool new additions.  This mod is about one thing and one thing only: balance.  While some in the community feel that the game has intrinsic problems, I believe that without fundamental changes to the gameplay itself, this game can be balanced.  The objective of this mod is to balance as objectively as possible the races, factions, ships, and abilities of the game.

Download Structure

As this mod expands, if files are given in text format, it will result in slower loading times.  As a result all the files are given in binary for easy of loading for beginner users but advanced users can simply click on ConvertBinToText.bat to run ConvertData to look at the files in text format.  The needed files for this process are included in the GameInfo folder itself for your convenience and needn't be relocated to function.

Reuse

As this mod has expanded, there have unfortunately some changes that have had to be made which modify the entity.manifest, thereby prohibiting the use of it with any other mod that modifies that file.  If you truly wish to combine this mod with another, you will have to take the custom entries in the entity.manifest of one of the mods, add it to that of the other, and drop the files from one mod into those of the other.  In other words, if you already know how to do the above, it's a piece of cake.  If not, there are resources around the forums to help get you started on modding.

If you are releasing your own mod and wish to incorporate either Rebalanced Races: Rebellion or Rebalanced Races: Diplomacy...

• If incorporated in its entirety, please cite the mod's name and myself in your credits and I would preferably like to receive a PM at some point prior to the integration as I might be interested in helping you.  
  • If not in whole and no modifications requiring entity.manifest changes are added to your mod, I'd ask to be in at minimum a "Special Thanks" category.  
  • If not in whole and a modification(s) requiring modification to the entity.manifest is added, I would like to ask that I be included in your credits list.
  • Artwork reuse is restricted due to the fact that it is the work of Axxo2 and not myself

Credits

RespawnedTitanL10, furyofthestars: original versions of the Corsev fixes

Axxo2: He did the artwork for the logo/loading screen

NOTE: fixed the startup crash of 1.6.  My apologies for the inconvenience.

Changelog From Default (as of Rebellion 1.82)

-ADVENT-

Radiance Battleship: port and starboard laser batteries now deal anti-light damage and can target SC; also there are two port and starboard bank targets.  This allows the Radiance to better deal with bombers and corvettes in rush situations.

Deliverance Engine: the DE now captures all culture centers at the target planet, assisting the primary effect of dominating culture.  Depending on user preference, the centers could either be left up to torment the previous owner or scuttled for resources for the user.  See this thread for details.

Guidance: AM changed effect from 10%/20%/30%/40% on ability cooldowns to the same effect on both ability and bombing cooldowns.  This is likely a temporary change until something better comes along or I make this do something else entirely.

Clairvoyance: spawns culture at a power of 0.0/0.8/1.6/2.4 at the target planet, allowing players to increase their odds of having an advantage at a planet when attacking and can be used to cement a cultural advantage in culturally contested wells.  This can also be used early on to culture-bomb your opponents as an Advent Loyalist, handicapping their economy and thus military.

Detonate Antimatter: damage rate buffed from 12/14.9/17.8/20.7 to 16/21/28/35.  For some unknown reason, DAM was nerfed by Starclad between Diplomacy and Rebellion, so I buffed largely to undo this unknown nerf.

Vengeance: The target ship now deals 8%/16%/24%/32% bonus damage for the duration.  This does apply to titans.

DominationDue to various mechanics added in Rebellion that outshine Domination, it has been buffed to have a guaranteed conversion of the target frigate and will also convert 2/3 other nearby frigates if fleet supply for them is available.

Animosity: This ability now synergizes with Ruthlessness for a late-game synergy between underused units.  When the Radiance is within the radius of Ruthlessness, Animosity is amplified to deal a DoT of 8/12/16/20 DPS to afflicted units.  Though this may seem excessive when paired with Malice, consider that at the same point in the game, you will likely have a Coronata or Eradica, both of which have very high damage abilities that work well with malice.  In addition, Animosity now also increases damage dealt to afflicted units by 2%/4%/6%/8%.  Fixed a longstanding bug regarding buff application.

Ruthlessness: now applies a buff to friendly capitals, causing them to deal 8% bonus damage.

Telekinetic Push: Increased range from 4200 to 4200/4700/5200/5700 to help deal with alpha-strike damage as pointed out by the MP community.

Martyrdom: damage increased from 250 to 650 and now stacks infinitely

Unity Mass: base damage reduced from 1000/1500/2000/2500 to 900/1300/1700/2100 and modified to remove 150+2.4/2.6/2.8/3.0 AM per ally nearby.  Also fixed an bug from RR:R 1.3

Fury of the Unity: changed from 10% to 4.5%/9%/13.5% and also added 1%/2%/3% mitigation in culture and increases culture spread rate by 5%/10%/15%

-TEC-

Kol Battleship: autocannons now deal anti-light damage and can target strike craft

Adaptive Forcefield:  made passive and nerfed to 3%/11%/19%/27% from 15%/23%/32%/40%

Incendiary Shells: now stacks 2 times instead of 3 and reduces shield regeneration/healing to the afflicted target by 10%/15%/20%/25%

Radiation Bomb: area of effect increased from 1200 at all levels to 1200/1500/1800/2100 and DPS increased from 7/13/18/24 to 8/14/20/26, allowing the Marza to better combat corvette spam

Boarding Party: now converts the ship at 35%/45%/55%/65% health (as per Respawned's modification) and does 10/12/14/16 damage directly to hull.  Capturing results in a 10%/20%/30%/35% hull heal and a 20%/30%/40%/50% shield heal.

Demolition Team: implemented the fix from Fury for the explosion delay.  Stock Rebellion's DT deals damage the moment it is cast rather than when the animation says it should.  The animation and the damage now line up.

Salvage Operations: reduced to 4%/6%/8%/10% from 10%/15%/20%/25% for non-boarded targets and 10%/13.3%/16.7%/20% from 20%/25%/30%/35% for boarded targets.  The string has been changed to accurately reflect that the % is the percentage of the Corsev's health, not the frigate.

Elite Crews: prevents target ship from being disabled from non-ultimate disables

Hardened Defenses: moved to Tier III

Starbase Compartmentalization: moved to Tier V

-VASARI-

Kortul Devastator: pulse beams now deal anti-light damage and can target strike craft

Kultorask: forward PM damage increased from 150 per volley to 170

Skarovas Enforcer: damage increased from 103.5 to 113.5

Wave Researchables: now affect the damage output of Pulse Waves

Phase Missile Swarm: increased target count from 4/7/11/14 to 6/8/11/14, leading to more use at lower levels, encouraging players to invest the initial point.

Phase Out Hull: Removed the heal/damage functionality; on friendly units does not disable regen or sublight movement and also increases linear velocity by 300%/455.3%/577.6%/600% and linear acceleration by 550%/766.7%/983.3%/1100%.  Also decreases angular thrust by 25%/45.1%/63%/85.3%.  When used on friendly units, buffed from 6/8/10/12 seconds to 8/10/12/14.  Unchanged duration on enemy units.

Subversion: When used against an enemy planet, now applies buff to neighboring enemy planets as well

Dissever: now applies to capitals, titans, and starbases

Desperation: stacking count changed from 15 to 60, duration changed from 10 at all levels to 10/12/14/16, and cooldown effect reduced to 1%/1.5%/2%/2.5% from 1%/2%/3%/4%, giving the Vorastra better performance in larger battles.  Applies AoE buffs via Phase Missiles and Waves due to the weapon type change of the Vorastra in Rebellion 1.03

Micro Phase Jump: after completion of the jump now increases the Vorastra's rotational thrust by 33%/55.3%/77.6%/100%

Microphasing Aura: buffed from a 20%/30%/30%/35% chance per 4/4/3/3 seconds to a 20%/30%/30%/35% chance per 3/3/2/2 seconds

Regenerative Hulls: Increased regen from 50%/100% to 75%/150% and also gives 2 armor points per level

Energetic Pulse Charging Researchable: 
 now properly buffs damage of Pulse Guns, Pulse Beams, and Pulse Waves

Armor Restoration: moved to empire tree, no longer requires other hull upgrades, requires all trade upgrades, and requires Enemy Relations.

Shared Shield Technology: moved from T6 to T8 and now requires Enemy Relations

Stabilize Phase Space: this ability now has 2 levels with the second level installing a phase drive on the Orkulus

Starbase Mobilization: now requires both levels of Enhanced Tunneling and level 2 Stabilize Phase Space

AbilityPhaseStarbaseSameOrbitbodyDebuff: Orkies around the same star will no longer disable each other.

Jump Destabilization: ships will no longer take damage leaving a gravity well through which an Orky has passed.  Via Yarlen mod.  Also due to the above changes, it now fills the slot ability4 on the Orky, resulting in the player being unable to see it.  It is still applied as normal however.

-GENERAL BALANCE-

ANTIHEAVY: now does 160% to HEAVY (up from 150%)

Changelog From Previous Version of RR:R (Version 1.6)

• ANTIHEAVY damagetype now does 160% rather than 150% against HEAVY armor type.  This is to minorly tweak the power of Flak Frigates
  • Fixed a series of bugs with Animosity
  • Reverted the change to GRG.
  • Enforcer damage increased from 103.5 to 113.5
  • Updated for 1.82
  • Support for the DLC packages
  • Removed legacy Yarlen mod
  • Reworked Corsev's first three abilities from my previous fixes for them
  • Fixed a major layout bug with the TEC Loyalist defense tree
Explanation of RR:R V2.02 Changelog

I wanted to update this mod now that the game has gone static.  Flak is also quite powerful.  Argued as OP by some, merely very powerful by others.  As such, a minor increase in the counter strength has been applied.

While I don't like its current state, I don't think GRG needs a change and this mod is about changes that are necessary, not just what I want.

The Enforcer has long been rather inefficient in regards to damage.  As such, a minor damage buff has been applied.

The previous fixes I had for the Corsev didn't really address the fundamental problems which are bug/clarity related.

Boarding Crews is now a guaranteed capture at X% and only affects hull (though does less damage to compensate).  Stock BC is a dice roll as to whether the ship is destroyed or not.  This is due to a race condition with the DoT as discovered by Respawned.  

Demolition Teams was broken due to the fact that it was applying the damage immediately rather than when the animation suggested it should.  This has been fixed.  

Salvage Operations this has been radically nerfed as the percentage of regen is NOT that of the frigate as the infocard suggests.  Instead, the ability actually heals for a percentage of the Corsev's maximum health.  This should help prevent Corsev immortality late-game.

Disclaimer and Conclusion

I'm by no means saying that this new iteration is balanced, but I think it has many components which if integrated into the game would help matters significantly.  This is the Rebalanced Races Mod, not the Balanced Races Mod.  If you have suggestions regarding the balance of those above or otherwise included in the mod, feel free to respond in the comments.

Locked Post 137 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 13, 2011 3:47:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sweet! Will have to try it tonight

September 13, 2011 4:43:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I will give it a go and post back with what I find out 

September 13, 2011 4:54:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll give it a go as I like to see people ways of thought on balance.

Can you some time soon though post up a changelog with the difference you made? It be easier for me to give positve feedback if I know how something is changed.

For example 'GRG is better' How is it better? lol

I would suggest you look at the Celio's Embolden and Dunvo's Sheild Restore if you not yet. Ive reworked them personaly a bit awhile ago. I would compare notes with you on them if or when you change them.

Good to see another balance attempt going on. I do find it intresting on people's thoughts on balance.

Btw, what is your prefered race?

September 13, 2011 5:42:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@Lamb/Siv: good to hear.

@Carbon: Lol, I completely forgot about embolden.  I played as TEC in a game while testing Zombie's mod and thought to myself, "I really need to do something about this in RR.." Only I never did lol.  I never really considered the Dunov's SR due to the fact that some people consider it to be very good already, which at level three, it insta-gens 750 every 11 second (IIRC).  IMO, that's pretty dang good.  Get two Dunovs (or even three) and your capitals will refuse to die to anything but PM's.

I'll post a real changelog later.  I wanted to get it up so people could see/try it this evening but I had class, so I had to rush.

As for my preferred race..  Well, if you look up at the OP, you might think I've been drinking a bit too much of the Advent coolaid.  In reality, I play as Vasari about 90% of the time, Advent 9.9%, and TEC only when I'm testing other people's mods or other such circumstances.

September 13, 2011 6:48:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have a fix for the Suppression, Embolden, etc. I just haven't released them yet in my mod.

It was a joint effort with pbhead, pyschoak and myself but it appears to be working really well.

Basically ApplyTargettedBuffToSelf was changed to ApplyBuffToTarget pointing to the target buff. The target buff then calls back to channel the caster. The only new buff is to remove the target buff when the caster stops channeling.

This should work for Entrenchment or Diplomacy though I've only tested in Diplomacy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5790092/Temp/AbilitySuppression.entity

- now uses ApplyBuffToTarget calling BuffSuppressionTarget

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5790092/Temp/BuffSuppressionTarget.entity

- Starts the actual channeling by calling ApplyBuffToLastSpawnerWithTravelNoFilterNoRange with BuffSuppressionCaster.
- I set hasWeaponEffects FALSE which seems to work without any issues 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5790092/Temp/BuffSuppressionCaster.entity

- Still does the channeling but issues a call of ApplyBuffToLastSpawnerWithTravelNoFilterNoRange with BuffSuppressionChannelEnd back to the target

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5790092/Temp/BuffSuppressionChannelEnd.entity

- Watches the domina to see if it's still channeling. If it stops or dies (i.e. LastSpawnerNoLongerHasBuff BuffSuppressionCaster) then it removes the BuffSuppressionTarget buff.

Why this all works wonderfully is the ApplyBuffToTarget takes into account if the target already has the buff or not (i.e. similar to how repair bay's or the Hoshiko works).

September 13, 2011 6:52:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In my solution, you can actually somewhat stack the healing of the Domina.  The first places a 20 HPS buff and a 5 HPS.  The 5 HPS buff stacks while the 20 HPS buff doesn't.  In this way, you can load up on defense of a capital ship, but it is less efficient than defending multiple.

I still don't see how embolden is going to do much.  Designate Target is awesome.  Embolden is just weak.  50 or so AM for 5 SPS and -10 CD on weapons.  It just doesn't seem worth it to me.  I don't know what I'll do yet.  Now, if Embolden was an AoE that was capped at like two targets and decreased CD by like 20%, that would be more valuable simply because now you have something that can really support your fleet.

September 13, 2011 6:56:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
In my solution, you can actually somewhat stack the healing of the Domina.  The first places a 20 HPS buff and a 5 HPS.  The 5 HPS buff stacks while the 20 HPS buff doesn't.  In this way, you can load up on defense of a capital ship, but it is less efficient than defending multiple.

Our focus was to fix the Domina's targeting with the ability as this is the primary issue with the targetted channeled abilities. I'd rather have them working right before I worry about fundamentally changing them. This actually solves the real problem with these abilities.

September 13, 2011 7:01:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

lol didn't expect you to respond so quickly..  I added more to my previous post...

Anyways, that would certainly help.  I might try that sort of thing for Embolden, but I personally prefer what I did with the Dominas.  Good work though discovering that.

September 13, 2011 7:06:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ya, Embolden is actually already setup right from a targetting perspective. I actually meant designate target...

Sorry about that.

September 13, 2011 7:08:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cool look forward to the changelog.

For embolden, my personal taste for it is this:

2% increase in migitation
5% increase in PM block
10% weapon cooldown

and you could add 5% reduced cooldown. But might be a bit over the top for one ability.

for Sheild Restore i added an AoE effect around target of the buff. Any friendly unit in 250 range (i think that what I use) gets an 5/7.5/10 per second for 5 seconds. Doesnt affect target of original buff, currently.

But my issues with SR was it had no synergy with fleets. And given late game fleets particualy Phase missle based fleets the sheild restore was almost usless.

Its a small change IMO but one that lets the Dunvo support from beggining to end.

September 13, 2011 7:53:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@Zombie: lol okay.

@Carbon: I like where you're going with Embolden, but I'd like a few independent verifications before I go changing an ability some people swear by.  I'm not trying to be rude here, but what's your favorite race?

@Everyone:  Changelog is up.

September 13, 2011 8:31:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Im a straight TEC unless Im bug testing for DS.

I asked that orignially b/c most balance mods will lean towards one race or another. Its natural and a human condition. I asked just too make sure if I start suggesting alot your not a diehard TEC like myself. I hate to skew your mod.

As for the changes, they are just suggestions. Embolden isnt bad in its current state. I think the 10% weapon cooldown is great. Its the sad sheild restore I find bothersome. A simple increase in that would be better and doesnt change the ability.

Anyhow thanks for the changelog. Look forward giving you my 2 cents.

September 13, 2011 9:55:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1.1 uploaded (containing Ruthlessness and Embolden), now with readme

@Carbon: I look forward to getting your two cents. 

September 17, 2011 1:30:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1.2 uploaded.  In a test, the TEC was able to hold itself against the Vasari with each having ~6 planets for almost 17,000 seconds before I started messing with files mid-game and accidentally caused a minidump.  I assure you, 1.2 is perfectly stable, I was just messing with other stuff at the time but the reload caused problem for the game.

At any rate, 1.2 is out, and some comments would be appreciated 

September 19, 2011 3:53:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Still testing through it but a friend of mine and I tested TEC vs Vasari in a few different games with different fleet types. All of the below tests were ships without any upgrades, baseline only and with no healing ships to remove that factor in the equation. We also let all abilities run at Autocast to remove the player skill variable so that the results would be more straight ship-to-ship balance specific. I'm not going to go into the specifics but here are a few trends and things we noticed.

TEC:

Early Game- Kol is now much more viable as an early game Cap Ship. With Adaptive as a passive it frees Anti matter for use with the upgraded GRG and FB. We tested Akkan + Kol+ Flak/LRF fleet vs typical 2 Carrier Vas Rush + LRF/Scout support fleet. When TEC was defending (and thus had full AM), TEC worked over the 2 Carrier Rush pretty handily killing all SC & 1 carrier plus about half the support fleet with Akkan & Kol plus 1/2 of fleet intact before a reasonable player would have withdrawn their Vas fleet. When TEC attacked, Akkan was defeated and Kol withdrew with about 1/4 of TEC fleet surviving with 1 Carrier and most of LF/Lrf support surviving for Vas.

Mid-Late Game:

TEC Late game utility greatly improved. Uber Fleet composed of Kols, Dunovs, LRF, Cielo, Hoshis & Flak is highly effective. High synergies between Adaptive+Shield Restore+Repair Bots+Embolden+Designate Target turns the Kol into a PM Immune Death Dealer. When this fleet hits level 5-6 Caps, utility is unreal. With the aforementioned synergy paired with Finest Hour, Flux Field, L3 GRG, Magnetize & EMP............DEATH!!!!

VAS:

Early Game- Egg is better than ever and is a very powerful Capship Assassin. Paired with the improved Kortul, it was a deadly pair and was quite resilient vs 2 Sova Rush though not as powerful as Akkan/Kol vs 2 Skirantra Rush. Once it caught the carriers though, the Egg stopped them and ate through them quickly again as long as there was support from Flak Frigs and Jam Weapons.

Egg & Desolator also made an interesting siege rush combo. Together they were able to clear a HW of the Frig Factory, Cap Ship Factory and all mining platforms and jump out of system before real resistance came back to attack. Then the Egg Grav bombed the returning Caps and had enough time to jump away with half shields intact

Overall, I think the changes went a LONG way towards making other caps viable openers rather than the normal carrier/colonizer combo or 2 carrier rush combo. We will try to do some Advent testing as well but truthfully we mostly only play Vas & TEC thought thats because Advent hasnt been balanced so maybe that will change with this MOD

Random question, haven't tried yet but does anyone know if this MOD can be overlayed with DS. I really miss my extra planet types.

September 20, 2011 8:03:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Both manipulate the entity.manifest file, so unfortunately no.  It would be easy to incorporate as all the new files in mine (not too many) are at the top of all the files, so you could just copy them over to your DS ones.  You'll have some conflicts though because I know DS messes with a LOT of stuff in the game.

Still though, I'd never imagined I'd ever actually make the Kol useful lol.  I mean, it makes sense though, it is the only dedicated warship the TEC has.  But now that you've mentioned it, the TEC do have a lot that would make the now-useful Kol nigh unstoppable.  It seemed like it wasn't immortal though and was significantly more powerful, which is good.  Glad to hear it    Tell me what those Advent results are.  I look forward to them. 

September 21, 2011 11:08:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Version 1.3 uploaded (further buffs Radiation Bomb slightly)

October 20, 2011 10:51:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've been lurking a bit, but not really paying that much attention to the forums to know.  Are there any balance issues aside from those already resolved in the mod that need to be taken care of or are there any rebalances within the mod that people would like to request after a month?

April 20, 2012 8:35:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll be working on a new rendition of this for Rebellion once I manage to get it.  As always, I'd love for this to be a test-bed for various potential balance changes/suggestions people have for the game as well as something that is actively reworked to be as balanced as possible for private play.

Already planned unless things change is a significant buff to Subjugating Assault by only draining AM upon ship capture, a general nerf to corvettes (probably speed, though Idk yet), and perhaps a very slight buff to Illuminators.  I'd also love to add something that allows players to bring more than just capitals and corvettes to a titan fight, though I wouldn't know how to do this via balancing so any suggestions in that regard I would be open to.

Feel free to make further suggestions as things go along through the Rebellion Beta.

April 20, 2012 10:00:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cool.  Looking forward to it.

May 19, 2012 1:37:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Rebalanced Races: Rebellion 1.0 released and OP updated.

May 21, 2012 2:06:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

RR:R 1.1 released.  Only change is the addition of Phase Missile Swarm.

May 21, 2012 5:08:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

you are modding rebellion beta and releasing stuff so people can play your material instead of the beta?  Sounds like bullshit to me.  I mean, Rebellion isn't yet released and here's a mod already out showing how it should be done.  Other modders are testing away, but at least waiting for final release to put their mods out.

This is yet another reason for a separate rebellion modding section. 

May 21, 2012 5:39:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"you are modding rebellion beta and releasing stuff so people can play your material instead of the beta?  Sounds like bullshit to me."

Last paragraph of the OP:

The Rebellion component in particular is prototypical.  It is meant as a potential testbed for various changes to the beta and also to attempt to make the game more fun for it's users.  Given that Rebellion is a beta, I would discourage anyone from using this as their default game setting as most games during the beta should be played without mods activated for testing purposes.

So, I'm not telling them to play mine instead of the beta.  I am saying that players in fact shouldn't play mine beyond testing a few things.  It incorporates various ideas that people have had and allows testing of those ideas alongside others.

"I mean, Rebellion isn't yet released and here's a mod already out showing how it should be done."

Next to last paragraph has the following sentence in it:

This is the Rebalanced Races Mod, not the Balanced Races Mod.

I in no way claim perfection and welcome suggestions in the following sentences.

"Other modders are testing away, but at least waiting for final release to put their mods out."

I actually already have ideas for a mod which I will ultimately release for Rebellion but it does more than rebalance, hence why I'm not releasing it yet.  Betas exist for the purpose of testing before final release.  Obviously, the developers aren't going to release multiple builds of the game whereas this contains the text form of many suggestions players have made.  If you want to test particular components, rip out the rest.  It's not hard as it's all in text format.

So yeah, it's a mod for Rebellion.  But I tell people specifically not to play with mods by default and I tell them that this is a method that they can use to try out various suggestions without having to wait for a weekly update from the devs.

May 21, 2012 5:42:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,
you are modding rebellion beta and releasing stuff so people can play your material instead of the beta?  Sounds like bullshit to me.  I mean, Rebellion isn't yet released and here's a mod already out showing how it should be done.  Other modders are testing away, but at least waiting for final release to put their mods out.

This is yet another reason for a separate rebellion modding section. 

No one is forcing you to play this mod.  If you would rather play Beta, play Beta.  No reason to get your panties in a twist over someone trying to make the game seem better, even if you disagree with the outcome of the mod. 

And for the record, im not playing this mod, or even Rebellion (yes I own it) at this point.  Sacrifice of Angels for Diplomacy ftw.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000984   Page Render Time: