Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Pre-order Discount for Sins: Rebellion Ends this Month

By on September 14, 2011 12:35:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

If you own Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity and Sins: Diplomacy and haven’t gotten your pre-order in for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, you have until the end of September to lock in your discount.  By pre-ordering now you save $10, but that special will end at the end of the month, so pre-order now!

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store#rebellion

Locked Post 157 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 14, 2011 12:47:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

September 14, 2011 1:34:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I haven't seen enough to merit a preorder, other wise I would.

September 14, 2011 3:17:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So, does this mean that at the end of the month the Beta comes out

September 14, 2011 4:26:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No.

September 15, 2011 9:49:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Emplear,
So, does this mean that at the end of the month the Beta comes out

There's no date set, this is just a notice that the promotion is ending soon.

September 15, 2011 10:08:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Zeta1127,

Same here, I want to hear more about the improvement to ICO before I consider pre-ordering. I remember the bad old days where it was nearly impossible to get a game without someone either minidumping, getting disconnected or the game was out of sync. The game has improved a lot since than, but I do want to know more before pre-ordering.

September 15, 2011 10:21:32 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Tagging to remind myself.

September 15, 2011 10:22:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do hope there is some more info before promotion runs out. For me major thing which will decide if I buy game or not is late game lag and smurf solutions for on-line players.

I don't really see a reason to buy something that has almost no informations how will it look and what issues will it have,

If you guys end promotion before data is released you force us to buy "air" or pay higher price later on. I think that this move if it happens will alienate a lot of loyal customers. 

In my opinion promotion should last at least until first week or two into beta. But that is just my opinion.

September 15, 2011 3:25:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Greg30007,
I don't really see a reason to buy something that has almost no informations how will it look and what issues will it have,

That is my reasoning too.

September 15, 2011 7:51:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm sad to see that the $10 off promotion will not be permanent or at least available for the first several month's after Rebellion's release.  After all, I already own all of the previous games and to some extent part of the $40 price encompasses IP for the earlier versions of the game.  Why should I have pay what someone who never purchased any of the earlier games will pay?

For me the biggest issue is ICO activity.  Will people play Rebellion in online multiplayer PvP?  Given the game's current amount of online multiplayer PvP activity, I don't think I'd want to spend $30 or $40 on it.  (I probably will in time because I'm a sucker for this game.)

September 15, 2011 7:59:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Greg30007,
I think that this move if it happens will alienate a lot of loyal customers.

Won't alienate me lol. I haven't pre-ordered and I will still pick this up. I'm just waiting for more information before I 'pre-order' for access to the beta when it goes live.

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
Why should I have pay what someone who never purchased any of the earlier games will pay?

Because this is a capitalist market, IronClad / Stardock have to make money, and you shouldn't get 'hand-outs'. Why does everyone feel like they are entitled to a 'give me' mentality.  You must be like the Vasari and simply TAKE what you want! 

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
Will people play Rebellion in online multiplayer PvP?

I will definitely give it a go as 'theoretically' the learning curve will be less steep as less experience players will likely check it out. Depending on the new interface and features it will likely seal the deal.

September 15, 2011 8:03:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I would like to have seen some more content before I buy, but whatever, time to bust out the wallet.

September 15, 2011 10:26:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

LOL.

September 15, 2011 10:28:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
I think that this move if it happens will alienate a lot of loyal customers.
Won't alienate me lol. I haven't pre-ordered and I will still pick this up. I'm just waiting for more information before I 'pre-order' for access to the beta when it goes live.

I will probably purchase it as well but the thing for me is 

As it stands now they are basically selling something that has no information what it is. I do think that it's not good practice to say buy now (when you don't know what you buying) or wait and buy at higher price later (make informative decision before you buy). You could look at it as if you want to know what product you are buying you will be paying premium.

With my opinions I'm not flaming stardock. Support they shown to SINS so far is far beyond any what other software companies have done. 

September 16, 2011 5:42:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I bought Sins of a Solar Empire in February 2009 for $20. I had a lot of fun with it. Not long after, I picked up Entrenchment for $10. Had fun with that.

Then Diplomacy was coming out, and there wasn't a whole lot of information on it, but I thought, "Hey! I'll preorder it anyway." I've only played diplomacy (or Sins, for that matter) a handful of times since then.

Now it sounds like the same old story. Another relatively small tweak to the current game which will change strategies but likely not revitalize the game all that much.

I'm not going to make the same mistake I did with Diplomacy and preorder when there's little evidence there'll be anything except what has already been announced, which isn't really that much larger or gamechanging than what's already come out (the two smaller expansions). I figured back with Diplomacy that the small amount of information was just because they weren't ready to talk about it. Turns out the short list of new features really was all they added.

Don't get me wrong. I like Sins (though the novelty has worn off.) I've spent many hours conquering the stars when I ought to have been doing other things. But I've gotten the feeling that Ironclad has gotten a bit... creatively stale. Sins doesn't seem to be changing a whole lot, but there seems to be quite the grab for cash with Rebellion. $40 is just too steep for what boils down to another mini-expansion. $40 is buying a completely new AAA PC game a bit after it comes out. Deus Ex (amazing game!) just came out, and now you can get it for $40. I also just picked up another indie RTS (Achron) which has some really crazy features. That complete game costs only $30. Rebellion is essentially a 3-year-old indie game priced like a current AAA title.

Who but the hardcore-est fans (i.e. play it more than once in a blue moon) would get Rebellion, other than people who haven't sank the money in for Trinity (either $40 as I did, or $20 with the bundle)? It's just not that much new content. The bang for the buck is just bad.

If you want to drop $40 (or $30) and get it, I have no problem with that. Ironclad is a small studio and I'm sure they need the money since the initial sales of Sins are probably down by now. But chances are, I won't be getting Rebellion unless the price drops. Significantly. Or they announce that their list of new features was only a partial one, and that this is actually the large "stand alone" expansion they claim.

September 16, 2011 6:05:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There's more to it then simple little upgrades.  Granted we know next to nothing about what has been planned for it, but then again, I've paid a grand total of $60 to date and pre ordered rebellion and am still happy considering other games that I'm a much bigger fan of, for example Command and Conquer, Supreme Commander, and Starcraft, their most recent releases cost that much, and their expansions do pretty much only the same thing that entrenchment and diplomacy did, add more units and whatnot, and would cost me another $20 to $60 on top of the original.  So the way I'm looking at it, I'm already ahead of the game having already seen two expansions for the same cost of their original titles only.

At least I'm not being promised the ultimate gaming experience and then being let down.  As my opinion and input matters to the fine folks at Ironclad and Stardock and I have many opportunities to influence the future of the franchise, I will be taking it's success or failure a bit more personally then I would with any other game I've ever owned.  Now really...  What's the price for that kind of an experience with a game?  I don't hear EA making that kind of a promise.

September 16, 2011 4:02:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just wish the beta would roll around so I can close my old bank account that the pre-order was made with.  They're gonna start charging people to have checking accounts and charge to use debit cards starting in November lol 

September 16, 2011 4:22:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't speak for C&C or Supreme commander, because I haven't played them... But SC1's Brood War expansion, while it did add just a handful of new units, it also provided a lengthy single player campaign. SC2's Heart of the Swarm will do the same thing, and I suspect it'll be set for a $20-$30 pricepoint.

It's true: Ironclad isn't promising the "ultimate gaming experience." With Diplomacy, quite literally, what they said was what we got. There was no false advertising. Not worth the money IMO, but it was honest. I don't expect Rebellion to be any different.

September 16, 2011 7:36:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I thought the $10 off the price was for being a registered owner of Trinity... interesting. When did this switcheroo take place?

September 16, 2011 8:27:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Diplomacy and Trinity are the same thing.

September 16, 2011 9:53:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,
At least I'm not being promised the ultimate gaming experience and then being let down. As my opinion and input matters to the fine folks at Ironclad and Stardock and I have many opportunities to influence the future of the franchise, I will be taking it's success or failure a bit more personally then I would with any other game I've ever owned. Now really... What's the price for that kind of an experience with a game? I don't hear EA making that kind of a promise.

^This to the greatest extreme. Stardock has been VERY responsive over the years to the community at large. Compared to many other games, the feedback and implementation alone makes this the holy grail of developers listening to their consumer base.

Think about it. If you want your voice to be heard as far as game changes / implementation of fixes, patches, and improvements of features you have to have a legal copy of the game to download the fruits of your voice through IC and SD's labor? Priceless.

I remember when the community begged for pirates to be turned off. Look what happened there! How about for multiple star maps where everything looked like a white cluster of doom? Hey, it was fixed! The list of 'listened too and fixed' far outweighs the lists of everything else if you look at the long life Sins has so far run and likely will continue to run.

*steps off soap box* [e digicons]:')[/e]

September 18, 2011 7:44:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Its stardock, they aren't the bastards that other companies are!

case and point, those who bought elemental before a certain date will get to have the remade game for free.

When I heard that I figured there were some smart companies other then blizzard out there after all.

September 18, 2011 8:14:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It would be nice to at least see some gameplay before committing.  Hell, we haven't even seen a single in-game screenshot.  Not a one...

And Blizzard isn't necessarily smart, since they're alienating about 30% of the adult, non-senior, US population with their 'online only' approach to Diablo 3.  I.e. 30% of folks don't have stable high speed Internet, with higher percentages in the South.

Back to the point though, taking away the discount before a single asset is shown makes it seem like it was more like investing in a start-up with an unimplemented idea. 

September 18, 2011 9:27:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I really haven't seen anything that would warrant Rebellion being a $40 purchase. There's some new big ship, some new presumably little ship, and some "rebel" mechanic. There's also the artist's rendition of the big ship. Annnnd that's it.

$40 is a full game purchase cost. Based on what little we know, I have no reason to believe that there is an entire game's worth of new content for existing Trinity owners. I got Dawn of War II: Retribution for $30 on release day and as near as I can it came with more new content for existing customers than this will. Perhaps if Stardock or Ironclad were willing to actually discuss the product they're expecting customers to plunk down cash for sight-unseen, I might have enough faith that my purchase would be worth it, but as it stands I'm only seeing as much new content as Entrenchment + Diplomacy, and that's only $20.

This price just smacks of Stardock leaning on SoaSE loyalists to make up funds for the disastrous release of Elemental. I'm not sure ANY Stardock game will be worth the cost for a couple years as they bilk their loyal customers to make up for that.

September 18, 2011 10:19:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree that Rebellion seems to be about Entrenchment+Diplomacy in terms of amount of content. Admittedly, they were low-priced at $10 each, but at best, Rebellion is looking to be $30 worth.

Not pre-ordered and no plans to do so.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0005250   Page Render Time: