Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Whats with the horrible multiplayer public community?

Droppers and leavers

By on September 24, 2011 1:33:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

petemyster123

Join Date 05/2011

I don't think I've seen as worse a community as this game's. I mean, sure I could understand someone going afk or leaving the game after 2 hours or something, but in the games I've played someone just goes instantly afk after 10mins of the game.

Its so frustrating to lose to someone worse than you purely because your team mate was afk. Yea this is a rant thread, but I just wanted to check if I'm the only one who comes across this or what?

Locked Post 53 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 24, 2011 1:58:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Among the regulars at least, I don't see all that many people suddenly leaving a game or going afk for no reason... it is incredibly rude when it happens though.

Still, sometimes people get minidumps, and from what I've heard they've gotten more common recently (where the player's game crashes, they leave the game, and nothing can be done about it).

The active players online that I've seen very rarely suddenly stop playing or leave the game for no reason. That said, there are a good amount of newer players online who do this, which is a problem - but it's a problem with them, associated with being new, and is not a serious problem for the community as a whole or with the regulars.

September 24, 2011 7:55:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the community has been killed by minidumps and desyncs over the years.

Edit: and lag!  don't forget how laggy it was/is

September 25, 2011 1:58:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The biggest problem is still that 99+% of all Sins players never logged on.  Then about 70% of those that do only play against the AI instead of playing real games.

September 25, 2011 2:22:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ROFLMAO @ "REAL GAMEs" 

Count me in as never logged on. To many freaks for me  . Lots of people play with friends via LAN or IP and don't need ICO AT ALL.

If IC fixes the smurffing I might think about it.

September 25, 2011 2:28:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fully agreed with myfist0.

September 25, 2011 5:20:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hamachi ftw

September 25, 2011 5:44:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
The biggest problem is still that 99+% of all Sins players never logged on.  Then about 70% of those that do only play against the AI instead of playing real games.

My games against AI are just as real as yours.

September 26, 2011 2:28:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Doshka19,

Not really because the AI is a retarded opponent.  Your opponent is completely incapable of strategic and tactical thought.

September 26, 2011 8:39:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you carefully craft maps you can get some exceptionally good results from the AI--but it does lack the nuance of a human and is hard to balance/predict.

September 26, 2011 10:02:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
If you carefully craft maps you can get some exceptionally good results from the AI--but it does lack the nuance of a human and is hard to balance/predict.

No matter how you set up maps, the AI will still completely suicide itself on your starbases and other static defenses, will often refuse to retreat until *after* you kill its capital ships, is almost incapable of dealing with two threats at once, expands its empire VERY slowly, builds and places structure very weirdly, is relatively bad at building proper countering units, always follows the same rote (predictable and easy-to-counter) tactics...

They can provide a challenge to those new to the game, but the AI is just too dumb, even with the harder ones' massive advantages.

September 26, 2011 12:21:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've been playing since sins vanilla, so im not new to the game, and I enjoy my AI games. Often me and my friend LAN against AI where we team up, wipe them all out, then go against eachother. But usually I play AI matches by myself with DS mod or Sins of the Fallen, or the star trek mod, and I enjoy myself. 

I don't need to play an asian kid in chess to enjoy the game.

edit: Though, on second thought I realize I tend to take a more RP element to it. when I play, I play as the leader of a space faring faction, not as a player with a mouse and keyboard.

September 26, 2011 12:44:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

AI matches can be fun for some people ... even if it's shooting fish in a barrel.

September 26, 2011 12:57:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I love the mind-bending that I can engage in on ICO, when I can fool ignorant noobs into thinking that I'm going to attack them, and then flank them or expand without worries...

^^Okay, now that there was a lie, I'm not a troll on ICO, I haven't even ever flamed anyone to my memory, and I haven't ever quit out unless everyone on my team agreed to it. Just because there exist people who are poor sports doesn't mean that everyone is... (I do have to admit that I have met people who aren't the nicest, and they completely wreck the game by quitting out or spamming or some other wasteful strategy, but I've been fortunate enough to meet only a few...)

I think that if we had a larger community on these forums, and some more clan activity, we might have a chance of bringing ICO back, and a better chance of teaching noobish players how to survive...

I'm sure that Rebellion will bring a large amount of old players back to the game and pump ICO population numbers.

I also believe that I've had a better ICO experience than most other people have.

September 26, 2011 1:15:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's not the same as against players--the AI can not match the complexity of a human with so many variables in the game--but if you put your self in a disadvantaged situation on a custom map you can get a little run for your money.  It's more akin to grinding in a mmorpg but you can learn some fleet management and building efficiency at least.

The only players I have ever had up and quit were the "old hands" who would suddenly say, "Oh!  So-and So is on!  I'm going to grab a game with them!"...and then, POOF, they were gone in the middle of a team vs. team game (has happened three times to me).

September 26, 2011 6:57:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Doshka19,
Quoting DirtySanchezz, reply 3The biggest problem is still that 99+% of all Sins players never logged on.  Then about 70% of those that do only play against the AI instead of playing real games.

Little known fact: what you think of as the single player game is just a figment of your imagination. It might seem like you're moving your mouse and pressing keys and whatnot, but none of it is actually happening. Your mind creates the illusion of a game, that you then imagine you interact with. It's like Inception . This is not the case with multiplayer, because when two or more real, live humans imagine the same thing it becomes real. This only happens with humans, and cannot occur if you replace one with a computer. Hence DirtySanchezz's assertion that playing against the AI is not "real." This effect is known as the Multiplayer BS Reality Theory.

Of course, one could probably make the argument that playing against the opponent that the developers programmed into the game is real because you're actually playing against the game. One could also say that declaring one part of the game to be more "real" than the other is just as stupid as the AI. They could even go so far as to say that that kind of attitude is doing more to hurt the already pitiful ICO player counts than help them.

September 26, 2011 8:37:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To many freaks for me 

Yep, i'm quite freaky, PM me and i'll tell you more.....

hehe.

Seriously Ironclad online games are about 100 times as fun as AI games, as long as you get to play the whole game.

The AI has NOTHING on a human player.

I will quickly outline an effective strat vs. AI.

1.  Get trade ports

2.  Build starbases

3.  Build perfect full endgame fleet with many capitals while the AI suicides on your starbases.

4.  Attack AI with awesome endgame fleet and win

This strategy works for all difficulty levels of AI with all races.

Against players, this is not going to work at ALL.

September 27, 2011 3:07:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kyogre12,
Little known fact: what you think of as the single player game is just a figment of your imagination. It might seem like you're moving your mouse and pressing keys and whatnot, but none of it is actually happening. Your mind creates the illusion of a game, that you then imagine you interact with. It's like Inception . This is not the case with multiplayer, because when two or more real, live humans imagine the same thing it becomes real. This only happens with humans, and cannot occur if you replace one with a computer. Hence DirtySanchezz's assertion that playing against the AI is not "real." This effect is known as the Multiplayer BS Reality Theory.

Of course, one could probably make the argument that playing against the opponent that the developers programmed into the game is real because you're actually playing against the game. One could also say that declaring one part of the game to be more "real" than the other is just as stupid as the AI. They could even go so far as to say that that kind of attitude is doing more to hurt the already pitiful ICO player counts than help them.

I didn't mean to say that people who only play against AI aren't actually playing a game.  I just meant to say that it isn't a "real" game because their AI opponents are retarded.  It just doesn't seem like much of a game when your opponents are retarded and commit suicide for you and do other silly non-strategic things.

October 22, 2011 2:28:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Playing vs AI

Doesn't result in weird frakking dumps.
Means your enemy won't be going afk or crashing to desktop.
Gives you something reliable to play against even if it is a lame AI which isn't a smurf for a really kick ass AI who will beat you down and laugh at you.
Allows you to pause while taking an epic crap so the enemy doesn't rush you while crapping; also doesn't mind if you have to deal with real life stuff and can't play for more than an hour at a time.

6 Hour SOASE MP matches are just too damn long to set aside for anyone with a life.

SOASE needs a campaign, campaign editor, and deathmatch modes with advanced start options + tons of technical boosts.

October 22, 2011 5:21:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,
6 Hour SOASE MP matches are just too damn long to set aside for anyone with a life.

Games rarely take longer than an hour to be decided, at which point the losing side very often surrenders so they can get on with their life or play a different match.

October 22, 2011 11:49:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,
Games rarely take longer than an hour to be decided, at which point the losing side very often surrenders so they can get on with their life or play a different match.

Not saying it's a bad thing but this is also the reason that my friends and I LAN via Hamachi or ICO for 'slow' setting huge mp games 8-12 hour sessions etc. It's what we like.

What is so awesome about Sins is that while it doesn't do things perfectly, it does give players the options to have short games, long epic games, small maps, large maps, etc etc.

For crying out loud you can SAVE a multi-player game! Back before Diplomacy we would get together and have epic weekend matches. We'd set the scenario as to who was invading, what was happening and the AI were the 'random civilian system/states' in the way. It was epic. The longest match we had last six days with about five or so hour matches on the same map being common.

October 23, 2011 7:40:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,
Playing vs AI

Doesn't result in weird frakking dumps.
Means your enemy won't be going afk or crashing to desktop.
Gives you something reliable to play against even if it is a lame AI which isn't a smurf for a really kick ass AI who will beat you down and laugh at you.
Allows you to pause while taking an epic crap so the enemy doesn't rush you while crapping; also doesn't mind if you have to deal with real life stuff and can't play for more than an hour at a time.

You have to decide what's important to you--the quality of the game you're playing or the benefits of playing offline.  What good is the reliability of playing single player offline if the game doesn't offer a strategic challenge?  Over time hundreds of players have concluded that having to put up with occasional minidumps and scheduling bathroom breaks between games is worth it in order to be able to enjoy a game of strategy.

Also, note that the PvP games don't take anywhere close to 6 hours to play and normally take no longer than 2 hours with most games ending between 1:15-1:30.  (If a game does go longer, it's probably a good one.)  How is that possible?  Unlike when you play against 9 AI opponents in a 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1, in a 5v5 or 4v4 you don't have to kill the other 5 or 4 players single-handed.  Instead, you have teammates for that.  It would take a couple hours if every last losing team planet had to be bombed out.  Instead players on the losing team call it "gg" (good games) and quit so that a new game can start, sparing the winning team of having to go through the boring motions of mopping up.  

October 25, 2011 12:03:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As I said before, I don't play this online because I don't have time. It's not just "scheduling bathroom breaks between games" that is the problem, unless you are a person who can afford to cut himself away from the world for 2+ hours. I can't. I have to make and receive important phonecalls, guests, fulfill my duties and attend appointments during the day; not just crapping. I'm not going to spend the night first waiting in a lobby, then launching the game and then get the game ruined by a dump or an afker. I am not going to waste every night in a week to maybe get one good game among them.

I had made this mistake years ago with WoW. I would decide that I want to go for a raid and that it should take about 2hrs. Then people started changing minds, afking, leaving, rejoining, killing our party and generally the whole enterprise stretched into 3+ hrs. I was pissed, late for whatever I planned to do on that day, my wife (then gf) was (rightfully) pissed off and when I finally finished the raid and grabbed that damn uber piece of gear, it felt like I actually wasted the day.

Nah, I prefer the SC2 way.
Find match, ~10s wait time, 10-25 minutes of an action packed game, gg; if I have the time then find match again, otherwise quit.

October 25, 2011 12:50:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A large number of people that play the Sins single-player are similar play times to Sword of the Stars, Galactic Civilizations, Total War, where you can hop in, play for a bit, then just leave and come back to it later. In all of these games it is hard to get a sustained multi-player experience either in a short amount of times or spread out over many sessions with 'match-making' lobbies etc.

*shrugs* It's life for half the people that play Sins.

October 25, 2011 1:27:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting N3rull,
Find match, ~10s wait time, 10-25 minutes of an action packed game, gg; if I have the time then find match again, otherwise quit.

That can be done on Sins easily enough. Recently I've been playing Point Blank more than usual for that reason, among others - although Sins player counts aren't quite high enough for a 10 second wait time, since it's a 1v1 map it usually doesn't take long to find another player, and then the actual game rarely takes more than 20 minutes or so (loser surrenders).

Or if I have more time, random smalls work as well. It usually takes more like 40 minutes (or more if skill levels are very similar) but that isn't too bad.

I just wish the skilled multiplayer community wouldn't focus so much on the so common 5v5s, which take so long to set up and can be ruined quite easily by a single player with a problem.

October 25, 2011 4:51:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,
I just wish the skilled multiplayer community wouldn't focus so much on the so common 5v5s, which take so long to set up and can be ruined quite easily by a single player with a problem.

You start to see more players on ICO if there were various ammounts of different game styles on ICO.

And not just map sizes, playing on normal speeds and such would help draw in some of the non SC2 RTS-style players. A large chunk of SINS demograph is/was Turn-based/4x gamers. Catering to all types of players never hurts a community.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000907   Page Render Time: