Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Whats with the horrible multiplayer public community?

Droppers and leavers

By on September 24, 2011 1:33:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

petemyster123

Join Date 05/2011

I don't think I've seen as worse a community as this game's. I mean, sure I could understand someone going afk or leaving the game after 2 hours or something, but in the games I've played someone just goes instantly afk after 10mins of the game.

Its so frustrating to lose to someone worse than you purely because your team mate was afk. Yea this is a rant thread, but I just wanted to check if I'm the only one who comes across this or what?

Locked Post 53 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 25, 2011 4:57:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah--I hate 5v5 fast speed, max resource games.

I think what would really be a fun fast game would be fixed fleets.  No construction or colonizing etc.  Put a bunch off dead asteroids up scattered about with repair bases for each side seeded about them and have pre-supplied ships  fight until one side or the other is dead.

October 25, 2011 9:51:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
I think what would really be a fun fast game would be fixed fleets. No construction or colonizing etc. Put a bunch off dead asteroids up scattered about with repair bases for each side seeded about them and have pre-supplied ships fight until one side or the other is dead.

Entirely plausable with a mod, Im sure you know that.

Also plausable to start with limited resouces and let people build their fleet as they see fit, then fight it out.

There was a mod during Entrechement that was being developed for straight Deathmatch/Single battle/Quick skirmishes. It was call the Dome. The modder just went MIA. A search for it might help someone make the same style of gameplay quicker. Shame it died.

But that requires a mod, which the majority of online players seem to be avoid like a plauge?

October 25, 2011 9:59:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lack of large blocks of time is a very good reason to play it in single player.  Of course, you're sacrificing being able to play a better game.  I suspect that a great many single players do have large blocks of time; not all of them are full-fledged adults with busy family, work, and social lives.

October 25, 2011 10:01:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting -Ue_Carbon,
But that requires a mod, which the majority of online players seem to be avoid like a plauge?

There are so few players online it can take 30 minutes or more to get a standard 5v5 game going in ordinary Sins. Attempting to get enough players for a mod could take forever unless you get everyone organized beforehand, which is annoying and can often fail.

It sucks. Sins just plain needs a larger base of players to begin with, and the devs aren't helping it all that much.

October 26, 2011 3:30:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wrath, what do you think the Devs could do to encourage the mass of single players to come try it online?

October 26, 2011 3:57:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
Wrath, what do you think the Devs could do to encourage the mass of single players to come try it online?

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/412282

Among other things, the suggestions made in that thread would help a great deal, although I fear it's too late for such significant reworkings for Diplomacy. (Diplomacy is relatively old anyway and new people probably aren't buying it much)

October 26, 2011 4:14:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You don't even need a mod for this at all.  Just give the starting resources at dead asteroid, add artifacts for wormhole and star travel there (or seed it elsewhere and make it be found--might be fun) and put the constructors at the start base.

You're good to go then.

I'm working (slowly) on two maps for it now.  I just finished a custom map with random features and this is a great place to expand on that.

I love mods but until we get a more new player friendly and larger community mods make it harder for new players.  We Really have to start be inclusive of noobness if we want to have more players.

I think the best thing you could do for new players is have a permanent game standing for new players to play in and that had good players take turns on it to teach them to play.

October 26, 2011 5:16:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Automatic download of custom maps from party leader (similer to SC2 when joining a party) would go a LONG way to making the multi-player scene much better.

October 26, 2011 7:26:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
Automatic download of custom maps from party leader (similer to SC2 when joining a party) would go a LONG way to making the multi-player scene much better.

Yes--this would be the absolutely perfect solution.  I play a little on an open source game that runs exclusively player created maps and the servers that are cooking are always the ones with the best maps.

October 27, 2011 9:47:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We're working on it. Goafan's pleas have been noticed.

October 27, 2011 10:18:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Huzzah!

October 27, 2011 2:44:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

He plea'd well.  Now he can plea for his life in combat against me.  Fear me if you dare Goa creature!

October 27, 2011 7:18:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

WOOT! [e digicons]:')[/e]

October 28, 2011 4:40:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yay!

October 29, 2011 11:06:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Alright, I'll take that has a "shut up already", so I'll desist, but I expect to see it on the next updated feature list.

Quoting Sinperium,
He plea'd well. Now he can plea for his life in combat against me. Fear me if you dare Goa creature!

You won't get the pleasure of me begging for mercy today! Heck I can take you on this weekend if you'd like. Though I didn't realize it took daring to fear someone.

October 31, 2011 9:14:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't play any games because im afk. 

October 31, 2011 2:23:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

great for custom maps, work on a decent deathmatch mode.

November 1, 2011 4:50:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Lots of people play with friends via LAN or IP and don't need ICO AT ALL.

This.  Besides, this game is best play through LAN.  Most people prefer to have long sessions with this game.  Too many people have the attention span of an 8 year old.

November 2, 2011 12:53:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting XATHOS,
This. Besides, this game is best play through LAN. Most people prefer to have long sessions with this game. Too many people have the attention span of an 8 year old.

To each their own, though I do fall in the 'long session' category.

November 2, 2011 1:13:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,

To each their own, though I do fall in the 'long session' category.

It's much better to be able to have the option to physically hurt your opponent.  Think about it. 

Besides, LANing always win in multiplayer.  It's become more of a lost art due to laziness from developers.  Just like not everything has to have a tower defense/DOTA element in it.

November 2, 2011 8:25:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The problem with LAN play is that it doesn't do you much good if you don't have a pre-existing group of friends to play with or if you want to play when your friends aren't available or if you don't like having to adhere to scheduled meeting times.  It must also be difficult to get 8 or 10 people together at the same time to play a 4v4 or 5v5.

November 2, 2011 12:23:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sanchezz ... no one here is advocating that we do away with ICO or that we do away with LAN. There are two VERY distinct player groups that play this game and unfortunate as it may be, many of them do not play online for a multitude of reasons, the one Xathos is talking about is a very valid reason.

My LAN group plays via Hamachi and sometimes ICO but we seldom get involved in games with 'strangers' because we want a relaxed slow paced game where we can drink beers, goof around, save it, and come back another weekend.

Some of us just don't want to deal with the stress, highs and lows of fast paced multiplayer on ICO.

So as I said before, to each their own.

November 8, 2011 12:39:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
The problem with LAN play is that it doesn't do you much good if you don't have a pre-existing group of friends to play with or if you want to play when your friends aren't available or if you don't like having to adhere to scheduled meeting times.  It must also be difficult to get 8 or 10 people together at the same time to play a 4v4 or 5v5.

Well, there is sometime LAN party where there is hundred people playing... unfortunaly, soase is not well know here and big LAN party with soase happen maybe 2 or 3 time by year, lasting for 1 or 2 days at max...

Have try online play a few year ago but it is difficult to find somebody for play ( European time zone ) and a lot of people online are not very friendly with newbie...

A other big problem with European version from Kalypso is that almost nobody upgrade to the last version due to the lack of localization with the patch... Stardock release patch in English but Kalipso don't release them... mean that thousand of European player who have buy Trinity via Kalypso remain with old version and never connect to ICO... We pay 29.99 euro ( 41 $ ) for Trinity via Kalypso... double of the Stardock price... but without the Stardock support...

Myself, i have move to the English version, not a real problem since English is my third language but not all my friend know enough English for play sins ( my little country have already 3 national language )... hope that Stardock will find a other European distributor for Rebellion, a serious one who release patch with localization... it can only improve the amount of player online...

November 8, 2011 2:13:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Thoumsin,
Have try online play a few year ago but it is difficult to find somebody for play ( European time zone ) and a lot of people online are not very friendly with newbie...

I'll be happy to help you if you're confused about ICO etiquette and good multiplayer strategies to use, but if you aren't able to play on ICO during afternoons or evenings US time you'll have problems finding players...

A other big problem with European version from Kalypso is that almost nobody upgrade to the last version due to the lack of localization with the patch... Stardock release patch in English but Kalipso don't release them... mean that thousand of European player who have buy Trinity via Kalypso remain with old version and never connect to ICO... We pay 29.99 euro ( 41 $ ) for Trinity via Kalypso... double of the Stardock price... but without the Stardock support...

That is a huge problem. Fix this, please, Stardock... use a more reliable European distributor...

November 9, 2011 5:32:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,
...but if you aren't able to play on ICO during afternoons or evenings US time you'll have problems finding players...

I was able to play... mainly Saturday/Sunday very early due to the 6 ( east US coast ) and 9 ( west US coast ) hours time zone difference...

But now, it is not very important... most of my free time is used for make models for various mods...

Quoting Wrath89,
That is a huge problem. Fix this, please, Stardock...

Well, a other huge problem is the "upload upgrade" button on the main menu... a lot of people click on it and since it don't work, they don't update their game ( who mean less potential online player on ICO )... maybe a patch who allow a pop-up windows when you click these button who explain about Impulse and how to update will be great...

Maybe add a new main menu button called "Forum" who send people here... will be useful for European distribution since in the Kalypso manual, the forum link is www.sins.kalypsomedia.com , a now dead site who forward to the Trinity store page...

The low amount of multiplayer people can only increase when these problem are solved... as today, i have 13 friend who own sins but only 5 of them was knowing about Impulse and was updated to the last version... almost none of them was knowing about Entrenchment or Diplomacy before Trinity was released...

Almost forget, when upgrade the european version using Impulse, player end up with the "string not found"... we need to manually rename the .str file or make a full english reinstall via Impulse...

Sins have a huge potential for multiplayer... 200000 copy sold the first month, 500000 in Sep 2008... sure that today, it is over 1 million copy... if only 1% was able to play online, it will mean a potential of 10000 online player...

Will be great if all these issue are resolved with Rebellion... a "upload upgrade" button who send customer to web page who explain about Impulse and how to upgrade... if Rebellion is sell with localization, solve the "string not found" problem who happen with patch... add a "forum" button on the main menu who send people here, the only forum with real Stardock support... waiting after the release of Rebellion will be a big mistake, solve it before release can only be good for a bigger online community with Rebellion...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: