Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Hi

New to SOSE - GALCIV2 veteran

By on September 28, 2011 6:10:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ManOWar2

Join Date 03/2006

So, I just bought the game, SOSE : Triniy throught digital download in impulse. I played the tutorial for basic movement and the game look awesome.

Should I start playing it by chapter or right-away with trinity (diplomacy?)

Is there any major difference between theses mods ?

Is the game already up to date ? Do I need to make other update ?

Thank you in adva.ce

54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 28, 2011 6:19:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The game is downloaded fully up to date. As for "chapters" its more of a feature thing. Vanilla/Original is just fleets with basic defenses. Entrenchment comes with a big upgrade in defenses. Diplomacy/Trinity has major changes in Diplomacy. You can either jump in with all features under Diplomacy/Trinity or start off with the basics with Vanilla/Original and work your way up with the new features.

September 28, 2011 6:30:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It purely depends if you think you can learn the game better by just taking things one step or if you prefer to just get thrown in the middle of everything and try to figure out how it all works.

Either way, one tip I'd recommend for new players is to play your first game without any AI opponents (I.e. you are the only player in the game), as the tutorials really don't explain how nearly everything works. A lot of it you'll just learn as you research and build things, so this lets you experiment without any real risk of losing. If you'd prefer to start against the AI right away turn the pirates off, they are good for combat experience when you're learning by yourself but they tend to give new players a hard time in a real game.

September 28, 2011 6:34:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You should aim to eventually be playing on Diplomacy. (Diplomacy = Trinity) Still, taking in everything at once can be difficult though, so you might want to start on original Sins.

There's absolutely no problem with starting with Trinity/Diplomacy though, but if you do, I highly suggest playing with Locked Teams until you have a sense of what's going on and how to play.

September 29, 2011 12:22:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I started a new game and decided to go progressively. 1 game of each before going to trinity.

Epic spaceship battle !

September 29, 2011 1:46:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do recommend turning off pirates while you're learning the game.  If you're having any troubles, feel free to ask for advice over on the strategy forums.  The game's learning curve can be a bit steep, but we've got a good community and we try to help out as best we can.

September 30, 2011 12:59:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I tried two normal games of sins, but yeah pirates drain so much of my attention I neglect my Easy computer AI ennemy...and when I'm finnally ready to get more than 2 planet and 2 asteroid I dont have enough ship to take on a planet. lol

Hard game, so much fun thought.

Freaking pirates killed all my colony while fighting the ennemy

September 30, 2011 12:59:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So yeah I'll turn them off next game. lol

September 30, 2011 1:34:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and when I'm finnally ready to get more than 2 planet and 2 asteroid I dont have enough ship to take on a planet. lol

Here's a tip: you can colonize the planet even before the militia are all dead, and then start building turrets and repair platforms to help fight them.  Only the "Krosov Siege Frigate" unit is capable of bombarding your new colony, so if you quickly knock out them you're good to go.

The Krosov is actually vulnerable to the scout of all units.  A pack of a dozen scouts can be used to very quickly snipe out the Krosovs and allow you to colonize.  By jumping in your capital ship first, it will aggro the militia and very few will attack your scouts.  It can be a little tricky to sneak in a colony frigate to actually lay down the colony, but if you're using a capital ship with such an ability, it's trivial.

As for defending against pirates (or defending in general), repair platforms are your friend.  They're really inexpensive, and vastly increase the longevity of your units.  Be sure to always build them in pairs, since they cannot repair themselves.  Building a frigate factory nearby can be a good idea, and this makes a very solid and cost-effective defense since you'll constantly be building reinforcements during the fight.  One of the big problems with hangers and turrets is that they don't do anything if the enemy isn't attacking, but a frigate factory / repair platform combo gives you a nice place for your forces to regroup even when you're on the offensive.

October 1, 2011 1:06:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I started a new game and turned the pirate off. Much more easier.

I will also be able to devellop an economy wich I totally lacked skill for in my early game. I waited so much time in my previous game that the easy AI was able to assemble a huge fleet he did that probably while I was learning how to develloped the planet...lol

Well, why are Pirates so strong ? I read that they are even worse in diplomacy (I'm in sins)

Why ?

Even if I try to put bounty on my ennemy he always put more and they come to me.

I guess playing a 1v1 with pirates on isnt an option ?

October 1, 2011 1:15:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't know why the devs made pirates as they are, as they can cripple newer players.

That said, it isn't that hard to defend against them if you know what you're doing: a few turrets (gauss defense, for TEC) and a few repair bays should take care of most of them.

The AI is pretty good about outbidding you and forcing you to take the pirate attack - this is especially true on the higher difficulties. It's very annoying.

You could just turn the pirates off. That's what I'd do, even though I'm relatively experienced.. They're too chaotic and annoying for me. Those who play online almost never play with pirates anyway.

October 1, 2011 4:24:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, why are Pirates so strong ? I read that they are even worse in diplomacy (I'm in sins)

Pirates are balanced based on the experiences of veteran players.  By the time the initial 15 minute timer is up, I'll probably have a fairly developed empire with 5-6 planets.  In that respect, I'm more than ready to repel pirates with a few good defensive tactics.  In fact, in the original game being attacked by pirates is a good thing, giving me extra XP to raise the level of my capital ships.  In Diplomacy, pirates got stronger and give much less XP, so they're actually a threat to veterans.  However, to beginners they're totally overwhelming.

October 1, 2011 5:32:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darvin3,
Pirates are balanced based on the experiences of veteran players.  By the time the initial 15 minute timer is up, I'll probably have a fairly developed empire with 5-6 planets.  In that respect, I'm more than ready to repel pirates with a few good defensive tactics.  In fact, in the original game being attacked by pirates is a good thing, giving me extra XP to raise the level of my capital ships.  In Diplomacy, pirates got stronger and give much less XP, so they're actually a threat to veterans.  However, to beginners they're totally overwhelming.

Although decent players can repel pirates reasonably well, I tend to think that the investment required is more than it should be, in Diplomacy at least. A capital ship out of action from the 17-25? minute mark, plus maybe 2 extra repair bays, plus some more for turrets if desired, is simply too much that early in the game - if the players are playing relatively competitively. Of course most of such players play with pirates off, so this is a moot point anyway, but still.

And all this can be done to a player at a very low cost (250 creds possibly, maybe even 0 often) and can also simply be a result of bad luck (not increasing bounty at the precise second necessary).

When a good opponent can have 2 carrier capital ships knocking on your doorstep at 15 minutes, the addition of pirates can mean the loss of a front-line planet in 1v1, which could make the difference between a win and a loss depending on planet type and placement.

October 1, 2011 7:02:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I tend to think that the investment required is more than it should be, in Diplomacy at least.

In Diplomacy, I'll agree that the first raid is a bit of a problem.  In the original game, not at all.  The early pirate raids there are easily beaten by a single capital ship with decent combat traits (add in a turret or two if it's a weaker variety) with a repair platform behind it.  While that's a lot to have out of commission, the extra XP was well worth it.  The benefits of the raid exceed the costs to defend against it, and in Vanilla/Entrenchment I never bother to bid on the pirates. 

Diplomacy 1.00 definitely was overboard, but after a few patches pirates are now much more reasonable.  The biggest problem remains the all-or-nothing Ebay bidding system with no refund for the losing bid.  In terms of strength, the pirate raids are now about right. 

I will totally agree that the timing means winning that bid at the 15 minute mark with a favourable planet layout can clinche a rush, and is one of many reasons why multiplayer gamers will refuse to play with pirates.

October 1, 2011 8:51:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darvin3,
The biggest problem remains the all-or-nothing Ebay bidding system with no refund for the losing bid.

The all-or-nothing is a problem, but small refunds are possible, in a way, if you anticipate it, and if you get lucky... by attacking the other player with whatever meager fleet you can summon up at 15 minutes (caps, most likely) and killing a few of their ships or strike-craft for a little bounty reward. (hopefully the enemy has close enemy frigates or SC)

In fact, this probably wouldn't be a horrible strategy for either player, whether they win or lose the bid, so they can get a few credits back... although in some cases it could well be better for the cap(s) to be doing something else instead, like fighting militia.

October 1, 2011 10:07:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ManOWar2,

Why ?

Even if I try to put bounty on my ennemy he always put more and they come to me.

Well, when you will begin play with more AI bidding become more easy... with multiple AI, i usually bid on two AI who don't like each other much... let say 1000 credit on one AI and 1025 credit on the other AI... usually, the second AI wil simply add something like 50 credit on the first one... followed by the first AI adding 50 more to the second... and so on...

Once they start these bidding spirale, you are almost save since AI will need use a huge amount of money on you for break these bidding spirale...

If you are catch in a bidding race with a ennemy AI, these is nothing wrong to bid on a friendly AI... they will not know that you have bid against him and when pirate are in "severe" mode, best to have them visit your friendly AI that yourself... 

Well, there is numerous tactic possible who can lead to victory and numerous style of play... and pirate in diplomacy are nothing when compare playing against a other human... some can rush you after a few minutes of play, long before the first pirate raid... have only play LAN game... have try ICO 2 or 3 year ago but people was very unfriendly there and i have give up...

Almost forget, if you become bored with single human player game, you will find numerous mod here... a good one for beginner is "Distant star" ( http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474 ) who add more diversity to the planet type, enhanced battle graphic ( volumetric explosion ) and some balance to the game... later, you can move to races specific mod like Babylon 5 mod, Star War mod, Star Trek mod, Stargate mod, Halo mod, etc... and once you have no more problem with the pirate, there is mod who add several capitalship, starbase,structure to the pirate and make them more difficult

October 2, 2011 1:58:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for all the help here,

but now that I turned the pirate off, I'm playing against an easy CPU. I think I managed slowly to win battles and defeat some capîtal ship with taking maybe half of a small map (14 planet)

then I decide to move on the suposed weaken easy cpu and I see a fleet double of mine (70-80 vessels)

wtf ? lol

I guess I'm playing the game too slowly, galciv 2 style.

Must I colonize lot of planet fast or must I devellop a few of them before ?  Where to build what and where to build defense ? I guess intersection point are the best to hold a defense right ?

I've been handling battle pretty well but for my 3rd game I started I feel like I'm not able to catch up the pace of the game.

And I'm a veteran gamers...I'm no noob to this kind of game here. so I'm I doing something wrong ? 

October 2, 2011 1:59:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Thoumsin,
Quoting ManOWar2, reply 9Well, why are Pirates so strong ? I read that they are even worse in diplomacy (I'm in sins)

Why ?

[...]

I'll try more MOD when I can at least beat an easy cpu in the original game setting. lol... 

October 2, 2011 2:43:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ManOWar2,
I guess I'm playing the game too slowly, galciv 2 style.

Must I colonize lot of planet fast or must I devellop a few of them before ? Where to build what and where to build defense ? I guess intersection point are the best to hold a defense right ?

Yeah that's probably the thing. In Entrenchment this is a little more viable, but only because the AI sucks at attacking defenses, not because its a good strategy. Early game you should try to get as many neutral planets as possible, and in general only start to develop trade and high population upgrades once you can no longer expand easily. Once you have a decent sized Empire you can turtle against the AI if that's your play style, but for the first stage of the game you should be quite aggressive about expansion.

The good thing about original Sins is that it forces you how to really use your fleet well as, both tactically and strategically, as your defenses are fairly weak, forcing you to beat the AI without the "crutch" of starbases that many casual players use to beat the AI in the expansions. Not that it will get you to the multiplayer level, but better than the expansions.

October 2, 2011 3:45:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

then I decide to move on the suposed weaken easy cpu and I see a fleet double of mine (70-80 vessels)

70-80 vessels isn't a lot.  The easy AI will pull its punches, but given enough time it will still build up.

Must I colonize lot of planet fast or must I devellop a few of them before ?  Where to build what and where to build defense ? I guess intersection point are the best to hold a defense right ?

The faster you can colonize, the better.  Colonizing more planets will increase your income, both by giving you more tax and extractor income, but also providing more space to build structures like trade ports.  As for defenses, your best bet in the early expansionary phase is to use your mobile fleet for defense.  Many planets could simply become backwater worlds that never see combat, and investing money to build defenses there is wasteful.  Once things settle down and you have a bit of a stable front-line with the enemy, then you can put down defenses.

If you really do want to be prepared, the best defense is always a frigate factory with repair platforms nearby.  Even if it's never attacked, this will still act as a place where injured units can retreat to regroup.  If it is attacked, you can use the repair platforms to hold out while you build defenders and your main fleet moves to respond.

And I'm a veteran gamers...I'm no noob to this kind of game here. so I'm I doing something wrong ?

Feel free to post a replay (ensure you're patched to the most recent version so we can view it!) and I can take a look to see what's going on. 

October 2, 2011 4:37:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Thoumsin,
Well, when you will begin play with more AI bidding become more easy... with multiple AI, i usually bid on two AI who don't like each other much... let say 1000 credit on one AI and 1025 credit on the other AI... usually, the second AI wil simply add something like 50 credit on the first one... followed by the first AI adding 50 more to the second... and so on...

These "bidding spirals" are certainly quite useful.

Quoting Thoumsin,
Well, there is numerous tactic possible who can lead to victory and numerous style of play... and pirate in diplomacy are nothing when compare playing against a other human... some can rush you after a few minutes of play, long before the first pirate raid... have only play LAN game... have try ICO 2 or 3 year ago but people was very unfriendly there and i have give up...

Almost forget, if you become bored with single human player game, you will find numerous mod here... a good one for beginner is "Distant star" ( http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474 ) who add more diversity to the planet type, enhanced battle graphic ( volumetric explosion ) and some balance to the game... later, you can move to races specific mod like Babylon 5 mod, Star War mod, Star Trek mod, Stargate mod, Halo mod, etc... and once you have no more problem with the pirate, there is mod who add several capitalship, starbase,structure to the pirate and make them more difficult

If you get bored with single-player, I highly suggest trying your hand at online games with humans instead. Humans add a much more strategic dimension to the game: although they're harder, humans are much more enjoyable to play with, in my opinion. There's much more tactics and strategy involved.

Though mods are certainly an interesting creative exercise.

Quoting ManOWar2,
Must I colonize lot of planet fast or must I devellop a few of them before ?  Where to build what and where to build defense ? I guess intersection point are the best to hold a defense right

Are you developing your planets out of the red? (if you don't develop planets immediately after you colonize, you lose a lot of credits!)

Yes, after accounting for development costs, you should generally be colonizing as fast as possible. Try using the turret and scout trick Darvin described: you should be able to get a new planet at least every 4 minutes, until you have 5 or 6 planets.

It also helps a whole lot if you can research trade ports, and build a few of them in a chain; trade ports increase your credit income rate. If you can do that, then you should be able to support a pretty decent sized fleet by the 30~ minute mark in the game. Build frigate factories on your front line world, build a fleet (composed mainly of LRM or Assailants or Illuminators) and attack the enemy! If you're playing against Easy this should make winning the game relatively quick.

Generally, you shouldn't be researching anything except for the bare essentials (ship types, planet colonization), and you shouldn't be building much of anything on your planets except for extractors, trade ports, and the few necessary military/civilian labs.

If you do this, then it shouldn't be difficult to build a fleet much more massive than the Easy AI and steamroll it.

October 2, 2011 6:58:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ManOWar2,
then I decide to move on the suposed weaken easy cpu and I see a fleet double of mine (70-80 vessels)...And I'm a veteran gamers...I'm no noob to this kind of game here. so I'm I doing something wrong ?

There is nothing wrong to learning... one strategy game is not the other...

A fleet double of yours mean nothing... if the ennemy fleet is made only from 70-80 scout, a single capitalship can destroy all of them... in the original sins, AI build a lot of the same type of ship and it is part of your learning process to discover the right counter ship...

About capitalship, do you know that the first one is free ( no money, metal and crystal needed )... it is a good idea to build a capitalship shipyard as fast as possible and claim your free capitalship... some choice the colony capitalship but other choice a more offensive one or the support one with strong ability... having already a capitalship in the first few minutes of play can make a huge difference later ( and can be used for counter the first pirate wave and earn experience early who allow to increase the capitalship level )...

If i play TEC, i certainly choice the Akkan colony capital ship for my first free capital ship because it give me free structure and a temporary economical boost to the newly colonized planet... Armor and speed are low but killing militia at planet will allow to earn XP and improve the capitalship level...

Well, a good reading about strategy for beginner can be found at http://sinsofasolarempire.wikia.com/wiki/Strategies

October 2, 2011 9:26:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Thoumsin,

Quoting ManOWar2, reply 16then I decide to move on the suposed weaken easy cpu and I see a fleet double of mine (70-80 vessels)...And I'm a veteran gamers...I'm no noob to this kind of game here. so I'm I doing something wrong ?

There is nothing wrong to learning... one strategy game is not the other...

A fleet double of yours mean nothing... if the ennemy fleet is made only from 70-80 scout, a single capitalship can destroy all of them... in the original sins, AI build a lot of the same type of ship and it is part of your learning process to discover the right counter ship...

If the AI has a large fleet like that, it'll be mostly combat-oriented... the solution would either be to have a starbase, or to have the correct countering units, or to overwhelm the enemy with numbers.

October 3, 2011 1:38:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for all your help, after starting another game I am getting better and got the colonization trick much faster. I realize that I was expanding too slowly. I was also overdevelloping the little planets I had.

The game is much more massive than I imagined, and I'm just in the regular SINS,

cant wait to beat that cpu.

I read that there is different trade pattern in the two expansions ?

Also pirates are strongers ? lol I dont know how I'm going to manage them.

October 3, 2011 2:02:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Not sure about the trade patterns but the pirates become a whole lot easier with Entrenchment. Starbases are the death of pirates. Diplomacy made attempts to compensate but never truly made a successful attempt aside from the über pirates of death, which have been nerfed down to something "manageable". Some mods (Distant Stars being one) made better attempts (aka capital ships with anti-structural abilities) but the devs refuse to use those methods.

October 3, 2011 2:06:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ManOWar2,
I read that there is different trade pattern in the two expansions ?

I don't think the trade pattern is any different, but with entrenchment you can expand your trade chain into uncolonizeable planets via starbases, so you can often get longer chains.

Quoting ManOWar2,
Also pirates are strongers ? lol I dont know how I'm going to manage them

Diplomacy has the stronger pirates. The pirates got ridiculously easy in Entrenchment thanks to the improved defenses. If you don't like them of course you can keep them off.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000687   Page Render Time: