Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

shield mitigation plus armor benefits?

By on October 12, 2011 10:34:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

RiddleKing

Join Date 04/2006
+32

Ok i recently posted a reply detailing how i use advent shield and shield mitigation plus armor upgrades to minimize the damage recieved on ships to also make good use of the guardians shield spread. I seem to have forgotten the maths. 

Can someone do the maths to show just how much damage is reduced when i use this technique?

I know the mitigation figures under fire is the percentage of damage reduced . e.g 50 shield mitigation = 50% damage reduction ?

How does the armor maths work and when combined with the extra %4 mitigation on damage reduced?

To not complicate matters we should ignore phase missiles and shield penetration bonuses. If u feeling sure about there maths go ahead and let speak up.

RiddleKing

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 12, 2011 12:03:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Isn't a definition of armor and mitigation in AJ's reference chart? Is that what you are looking for?

October 12, 2011 5:21:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The community doesn't know whether mitigation applies first or armor but they work separately as follows:

Shield Mitigation is a direct percentage based point for point drop in damage. 30% Mitigation= a literal 30% drop in the damage being applied. Theoretically, IF you could get 100% mitigation, the target would reduce damage by 100 % and no damage would be taken.

Mitigation starts at 15% and goes up 1% per 10 pts damage. It falls 1.25% per second so it requires 12.5 dps to keep mitigation constant.

Armor is trickier:

2 Armor=10% reduction; 5= 25% reduction; 10=50% reduction; 20=100% reduction; 30=150% reduction

Before people go crazy and start screaming "YOU CAN"T HAVE 150% REDUCTION!" Let me explain the fuzzy math that comes into play, like I said, armor calcs are trickier.

The Armor Reduction acts as a dividor vs the original damage in order to cut the damage but never completely stop all damage. It is easier to see in the equation than explain.

Assume 100 damage against 2 armor, the calc flows as follows: 100/1.1= 91 damage after armor; Against 5 Armor, 100/1.25= 80 damage; Against 10 armor, 100/1.5= 67 damage; etc etc.

Even if you could get 100 armor you would still take some damage ie 100/5= 20 damage.

This is the same mechanic at play with the Vasari Super Shield on the Orky, hence why it can say that it reduces damage 200/300%. Yes the damage is GREATLY mitigated, but it never is completely gone. I suppose you could do a mod where you got 3001 armor, this would theoretically round down to zero after fully divided but I don't know if the game always rounds up to at least 1 damage per weapon hit.

Those are the basics. Again it is unknown if the armor applies first or mitigation and there are also unconfirmed reports that some cap ship specials bypass mitigation.

Hope this helps.

October 12, 2011 5:43:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting gamerlamb,
Those are the basics. Again it is unknown if the armor applies first or mitigation and there are also unconfirmed reports that some cap ship specials bypass mitigation.

Any abilities that do direct overtime hull damage (I.e. it says it does x damage per second) like nanites or incendiary shells bypass mitigation (and possibly armor). Any abilities that just do "damage" like GRG, Cleansing Brilliance, PM Swarm etc. are affected by shield mitigation.

Further, I advise that the Devs add custom map sharing to Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

October 12, 2011 11:04:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting gamerlamb,
Theoretically, IF you could get 100% mitigation, the target would reduce damage by 100 % and no damage would be taken.

Can and has been modded to do so. No damage taken.

October 13, 2011 11:47:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Anyting higher than ~85% migitaion results in unkillable ships, when you factor in passive regen or sheilds and HP.

October 13, 2011 10:01:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Anyting higher than ~85% migitaion results in unkillable ships, when you factor in passive regen or sheilds and HP.

If you can put together enough "spike" damage you can break through, but it's going to be tough.  At this point, though, the discrepency between regular weapons and phase missiles is so enormous as to be incomparable.

October 15, 2011 1:59:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Beyond the standard scenario questions of when shield mitigation is taking damage off, you're asking about shield projection.

1. I'm pretty sure the guardian's mitigation does nothing for the other ship (hence forth, this shall be known as Ship B.)
  2. Your shield upgrades mean that the guardian has a much bigger pool of shield points. Ship B is affected as well, but since the guardian starts with a bigger pool, the upgrade has a bigger impact on it than Ship B.
  3. The Bigger pool of shield points mean that both ships can take more drain on their shields. Since the guardian is sharing its shields, this means that Ship B will experience a large increase in it's lifetime while under the guardian's protection and you take those upgrades. I don't have any math to back this up (im too lazy to go figure it out atm), but I would expect an exponential curve for the average lifetime of Ship B as you take the upgrades.
  4. Shield mitigation is another can of worms. as you get higher amounts of shield points for both ships, mitigation is unaffected, but your survivability still goes up (you're losing points, but you got much more to lose).
  5. Increasing mitigation also increases survivability, but by reducing incoming damage, which is what causes mitigation to grow in the first place. Theres definately a point where you might be taking to little damage to be getting the maximum affect out of mitigation
  6. Shield projection takes 33% of the damage away from ship B. Period. My guess is that Ship B then experiences mitigation after that, and then the guardian takes it's mitigation, but I cant say for certain.
  7. guardians+shield upgrades+shield mitigation=always confusing subject. just sayin
October 16, 2011 12:57:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

^^ Hit the nail on the head, methinks.

October 18, 2011 9:51:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

my head does hurt and has a nail-shaped impression on it...

October 18, 2011 9:54:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I know of a good skull surgeon, if you need one.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000140   Page Render Time: