Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modders MP Zone

Archive of the pros versus modders game and current MP setup thread

By on November 14, 2011 12:41:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

GoaFan77

Join Date 10/2008
+582

As most of us know, there are two main communities in Sins of a Solar Empire, one for multiplayer and one for modding. Bar the occasional group of friends playing a mod on ICO together however, these two communities rarely interact with each other, besides occasional discussions of game balance.

Therefore I propose a little icebreaker in the true Sins fashion, complete with the typical disintegration of metal, screams of nuked worlds, and if we're lucky even the rare space pony sighting, that we've all come to know and love, regardless of which form of Sins we get most of our entertainment from. Yes, I think its time for the first ever Pro Player vs Modders MP game!

Of course as we are meeting in the Pro player's home court, I think in the interest of a semi-interesting game the modders will need a team advantage of some sort. Any ideas on the exact number of players on each team as well as the best time to arrange this will be welcome (I'd guess sometime on Thanksgiving weekend). And of course, if you're interested do let us know.

I'd like to have one pro player sort of be in charge of the logistics of making the game who promises to be there, presumably if any of the other pros don't show we can find substitutes at the game launch. As modders don't often log on to ICO don't commit unless you're sure you can make it at whatever time we agree on. Also if possible I think it would be nice for as many different mods as possible to be represented, but obviously filling the roster comes first.

Results:

Game 1 (4v4)

Auqia versus modders youtube

Modders FFA youtube

Replays

Locked Post 875 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 14, 2011 2:08:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am interested in this, playing on the modder's team.

You have my support, GoaFan77.

My bet is that the Pro Players will win, and then proceed to abuse the poor skill that the modders display.

BOO ON FLAMING

November 14, 2011 2:37:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Play the mods, advantage destroyed.

November 14, 2011 5:22:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting psychoak,
Play the mods, advantage destroyed.

Well maybe if they feel adventurous afterwards maybe we can get them to agree to that for the second round, though of course us modders then have to decide whose mod gets played.

Just to get the discussion on time going, I think the best time to do this is Thanksgiving weekend, as at least in the US everyone should have that Thursday/Friday off. I'm leaning towards Black Friday myself as I'm guessing most Sins players don't spend to much time shopping even then, but I can do it anytime Thursday-Saturday.

November 14, 2011 5:35:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm willing. 

November 14, 2011 5:49:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

count me in on the pros side-

[DT]Star Player

November 14, 2011 5:50:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I can't make it, but I would suggest the following.

First game is pros/modders... though I'm pretty confident what the outcome would be.

Second game would be pros and modders following normal 5v5 pug match rules.

Maybe in this way you might get some modders to play MP online in the future.

November 14, 2011 6:32:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Count me in... but in reality it'll probably end up being just ICO vs Modders.

November 14, 2011 7:50:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
First game is pros/modders... though I'm pretty confident what the outcome would be.

The teams should be stacked enough (in favor of the modders) for the outcome to not be certain at the beginning I think. 3v7 or something.

Well, I can't make it...

I'm sure they would appreciate a strong supporting player like you though (someone who's actually played a good number of standard multiplayer).

November 14, 2011 7:54:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,
I'm sure they would appreciate a strong supporting player like you though (someone who's actually played a good number of standard multiplayer).

I've paid the price for playing Sins on vacations before... If I were in town I'd partake in the festivities time permitting.

November 14, 2011 8:08:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
Well maybe if they feel adventurous afterwards maybe we can get them to agree to that for the second round, though of course us modders then have to decide whose mod gets played.

Too bad Sins doesn't really allow spectators, as I would like to see this match in action.  Hmm, perhaps this could be a best-of-three series?  One game without mods, one with, and the other the result of a coin toss?

As to which mod, I nominate either Distant Stars as the most complete mod overall, or Sacrifice of Angels for its total revision of Sins combat.  No Borg allowed!

November 14, 2011 10:45:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Mecha-Lenin,
Count me in... but in reality it'll probably end up being just ICO vs Modders.

Well when I thought of the title that's basically what I meant, but who knows, maybe we can Tyr out of retirement with Aquia (sorry if I misspelled those names) and someone else that is at the very very top. If that ends up happening we'll certainly need it to be a 3v7, maybe with an additional handicap too, just to keep the game from being a total slaughter.

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
Second game would be pros and modders following normal 5v5 pug match rules.

Maybe in this way you might get some modders to play MP online in the future.

Didn't think about just using the Plug rules, I suppose that's another way to do it.

And yes, the idea is to hopefully get some good exposure for both communities, ICO most directly in this case (they probably need the help more), but if we ever extend this to mod matches as well that could also get the mods some attention as well.

Quoting Wrath89,
The teams should be stacked enough (in favor of the modders) for the outcome to not be certain at the beginning I think. 3v7 or something.

Yeah, I was thinking a 4v6 at first, but depending on how many people sign up and how confident you ICO players are we can certainly do 3v6 or 3v7.

Quoting SpardaSon21,
Too bad Sins doesn't really allow spectators, as I would like to see this match in action.

If this this ends up happening I'll give in and finally get Fraps (I was planning to get it for Christmas but in this case a little early present is justified I think ), so I could record it and put it on YouTube. Granted you'll only get my fairly noobish perspective and commentary, but we'd probably put up the replay too.

Quoting SpardaSon21,
Hmm, perhaps this could be a best-of-three series? One game without mods, one with, and the other the result of a coin toss?

If its a success we can certainly try doing this more often, and discuss which mods to use if the MP players are willing. If this ends up becoming a fairly regular thing we can even alternate Vanilla - Mod1 -  Vanilla - Mod2 etc., letting additional people participate each time.

November 15, 2011 2:13:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
...though of course us modders then have to decide whose mod gets played.

Will not take a lot of time for modders to create a "cheat" mods who will allow modders to crush the pro player

Same with a usual mod, it is not sure that pro-player will win... there is mods who change a lot the game mechanic and pro player will need to learn again the game... and modders who have create the mod already know the new mechanic from their mod...

By example, long time ago, i have play 7DS on Hamachi... few people was knowing how to play with the rogue race... a race without colony frigate... there is a ship with colony ability but it need to be researched and need a lot of research lab ( so, it is for late game )... the trick is to capture colony ship from other faction...

November 15, 2011 9:40:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd love to see the 'pros' get their asses kicked, myself, then maybe they'll stop trolling and flaming players they deem worse than them, though I doubt it.

November 15, 2011 11:58:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

lag should be low, the ICO server is beefy and the number of players left is really low.

November 15, 2011 12:21:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I would say I'm tempted to throw my hat in, but I fear I may be more of a liability than an asset. Even then, I'm more likely to be free Saturday than Friday. Not a big shopper, but I know my girl might be jonesing to get out after all the family stuff.

November 15, 2011 12:40:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
 ( in secret training grounds modders prepare for the game of their lives to prove once and for all who are the kings of the sins universe )
November 15, 2011 2:13:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

of course! If we're going to play, we have to be ready. Practice, practice, practice.

November 15, 2011 3:12:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
If its a success we can certainly try doing this more often, and discuss which mods to use if the MP players are willing. If this ends up becoming a fairly regular thing we can even alternate Vanilla - Mod1 - Vanilla - Mod2 etc., letting additional people participate each time.

I think it might be interesting if people tried the Sins Plus (extra planet types) mod in the games, but I've never seen that happen on ICO.  Since mods won't auto-download even a small mod that just adds extra planet types won't get played.

Quoting JA_394,
I'd love to see the 'pros' get their asses kicked, myself, then maybe they'll stop trolling and flaming players they deem worse than them, though I doubt it.

If you're such a tough guy, you should stop talking smack and log onto ICO and kick some pro players' asses.  Learn how to play against actual human players and then dish out some whoop ass.  Of course, if you ever get to that point you'll lose all interest in playing against the AI and you'll become part of the crowd you hate, but you'll like it.

November 15, 2011 4:43:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
Of course, if you ever get to that point you'll lose all interest in playing against the AI and you'll become part of the crowd you hate, but you'll like it.

Been there with other games. Certainly not a truism.

November 15, 2011 4:50:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Draakjacht,

Quoting DirtySanchezz, reply 18Of course, if you ever get to that point you'll lose all interest in playing against the AI and you'll become part of the crowd you hate, but you'll like it.

Been there with other games. Certainly not a truism.

Have played MP. And not just a comp stomp. Still prefer AI.

November 15, 2011 5:25:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Draakjacht,
I would say I'm tempted to throw my hat in, but I fear I may be more of a liability than an asset. Even then, I'm more likely to be free Saturday than Friday. Not a big shopper, but I know my girl might be jonesing to get out after all the family stuff.

Lol, well the date's not set in stone, Saturday works for me too. To be honest I'm still not sure just how big the DS mod team is but it seems large enough that we statistically need to have at least one of you.

Quoting RiddleKing,
 ( in secret training grounds modders prepare for the game of their lives to prove once and for all who are the kings of the sins universe )

Why of course. The training regiment consists of 4 hours of click training, 1 hour of hotkey memorization,  2 hours of macro theory, 1 hour of fleet composition lessons, and 4 hours of team dynamics practice. On the weekends, they are tested by how long they can endure a rush from an actual pro player and if they fail to improve, they are forced to fend for themselves for dinner.

Ryat, Dirty, either of you interested in doing this?

November 15, 2011 5:26:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll play.

November 15, 2011 5:37:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Saturday's good.

You should compile a roster of those in attendance and on which team.

Will we be using Teamspeak or something?

November 15, 2011 5:44:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
Ryat, Dirty, either of you interested in doing this?

Maybe, we will have to see what the weekend holds for me.

November 15, 2011 5:53:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
I could record it and put it on YouTube. Granted you'll only get my fairly noobish perspective and commentary, but we'd probably put up the replay too.

Is it possible to save a replay of the game as well so that you can see all perspectives and what not?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: