Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

LAN game problem - Help about making a lan game

By on November 23, 2011 12:41:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mysterious_07

Join Date 11/2011

Hey everyone, i am new to sins of a solar empire and this community.

I tried to play LAN with my friend, and when i made the game he couldn't see it, and vice versa, i also noticed that beside the game list there is "IP" and "Port" what is their function?? can i connect directly with IP? if i can, how to?

i am really confused, it would be much better is someone posts a step by step to tutorial to play LAN.

i really appreciate ant help!! 

Locked Post 20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 23, 2011 8:18:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As far as I know, there's no reason to change "Port", whatever number that is there you should probably just leave alone...what you will need to do is enter an IP address to connect to...

Let's say your friend is trying to connect to your computer (so basically, you are the host)...he will need to enter in your IP address to connect to the game you are hosting...

In order to find your IP address, run command prompt (either enter "cmd" in the windows "run" utility or open up command prompt under accessories)...once command prompt is open, type "ipconfig"...

Most likely, a lot of information will pop up...what you want to find is the heading "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection" or something similar to that...listed under that should be several addresses...IIRC the one you want is usually labeled "IPv4 Address"...I could be wrong though, so if that doesn't work you may need to try some of the other addresses (like "Default Gateway")...

Anyway, if your friend enters in your IP address then he should be able to find your game...it's important that you are actually on a Local Area Network, and not simply trying to connect through the internet...

November 24, 2011 12:48:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thanks very much for the information, i will try and tell you what happened, although there is a site which can tell me the my IP address directly, and btw what what program do you advice me to use? hamachi or tunngle?

November 24, 2011 1:08:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well if you are actually on a LAN (corporate/university buildings often are, or you could just use a LAN box), then you won't need anything like hamachi...

If you are not actually on a LAN, then I'd just use ICO (ironclad online, just click the button on the main menu)...especially with the recent updates, I don't think there's any reason to bother with hamachi....and if you use ICO, you don't need any IP addresses, you simply find people in the lobby common to all people on ICO...

November 24, 2011 2:45:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Mysterious_07,
although there is a site which can tell me the my IP address directly,

If you are both on the same LAN that ip address will NOT help you in the slightest. That is the address for your internet modem (cable, dsl etc). What you need to do is follow Seleuceia's directions and look for a 192.xxx.xxx etc ip address. This is what you want to use.

If you aren't in the same LAN and you want to setup a VPN to simulate LAN, AND want to avoid the ICO service (which honestly I would use as it would solve your problem and is EASY to use, no configuring is required), I know Hamachi works well.

November 24, 2011 10:12:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ok when my friend typed my IPv4 address, it displayed an error message "Disconnected from game server", but when i tried his it worked, do you guys have any idea why? also thanks very much for all your help guys.

November 24, 2011 2:12:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you guys are really having a problem, try logging onto Ironclad Online (the "Ironclad Online") button and just play over ICO.

November 24, 2011 2:15:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, that is a "good" sign in that at least you can see the game and know (most likely) that you have the right IP addresses....

This is one of those annoying things that comes up a lot and I don't have a surefire way to deal with....in my experience it can be one of a million different little things that can cause, not the least of which sometimes is just random bad luck...

Sometimes, simply restarting everyone's computer with the LAN already set up sometimes works, especially if LAN boxes are involved....

Sometimes, you have to turn on network discovery, mess around with firewall settings, or things like that...sometimes, it's because someone doesn't have the latest driver for their ethernet port...and sometimes, you just have to suck it up and have somebody else host (in this case, if your friend can host then don't worry about it too much)...

November 24, 2011 5:02:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

no i can join his game and play, in fact we played for hours, but why he couldn't join mine?

November 24, 2011 5:48:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
If you guys are really having a problem, try logging onto Ironclad Online (the "Ironclad Online") button and just play over ICO.

This.

November 24, 2011 6:29:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

With my network only 1 connection on the router is allowed to be a server with ports open for servers. On the router you can open all ports which on some is called DMZ or open each port manually which is safer. The routers firewall is hardware where windows firewall is software and ports must be opened or allowed to be a server. Usually when installing something that can be connected to a pop-up will show up after install asking if you want these ports opened. Check the windows firewall settings.

There are 2 types of IP addresses. One is for the internet which you can find with WhatsMyIp on google and the others are internal assigned by the router which mine look like
192.168.0.101 my comp which has ports open for server
192.168.0.102 living room
192.168.0.103 Xbox 

So if my living room computer wants to connect to mine the living room would use 192.168.0.101 but I could not connect to the living room because the router is not allowing those ports to be open. If a friend wanted to connect over internet they would use the IP I gave them using WhatsMyIP. I can have a person connect from the living room using the internal IP and a person over the internet with the external IP.

Thats the basic difference between internet and intranet. 

Routers will use different internal IP ranges

If you are on a home router you can try and switch the cables and see if you can connect. If you can then the router is blocking the port. If you cant then chances are your windows firewall is blocking the port or both.

November 24, 2011 8:02:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey everyone, i am new to sins of a solar empire and this community.

I tried to play LAN with my friend, and when i made the game he couldn't see it, and vice versa, i also noticed that beside the game list there is "IP" and "Port" what is their function?? can i connect directly with IP? if i can, how to?

i am really confused, it would be much better is someone posts a step by step to tutorial to play LAN.

i really appreciate ant help!!

Only really matters if you have something complex going on with your home network/security crazy.... well, that and pr0n purposes.

192.168.0.101 my comp which has ports open for server
192.168.0.102 living room
192.168.0.103 Xbox 

I'm going to ping you with 4 gig packages now.  Enjoy.

November 25, 2011 3:20:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,
This.

i have 2 computers in my home and i have 1 cd key only, it's much easier for me to connect the two with a LAN network, my friend also has the game so if me and my brother want to play with him,it is easier to connect the two with LAN, and then my friend joins the network (through hamachi), so i can't use ICO in this situation.

Quoting myfist0,
With my network only 1 connection on the router is allowed to be a server with ports open for servers. On the router you can open all ports which on some is called DMZ or open each port manually which is safer. The routers firewall is hardware where windows firewall is software and ports must be opened or allowed to be a server. Usually when installing something that can be connected to a pop-up will show up after install asking if you want these ports opened. Check the windows firewall settings.

can you please tell me how exactly?

November 25, 2011 10:14:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

sorry each router is to different but I am sure google has loads of help if you ask the model. Typically when you want to setup the router you enter the router IP into your browser. Mine is 192.168.0.1 and password is blank. Then all the setting show under different tabs.

And the DMZ setup but mine has 4 computers in that list but only allowed to open all ports or DMZ. Or open specific ports only under the Applications tab. Exposed means incoming connections or host or server.

You should not need HAmatchi. And if your friend is connecting over the internet it is not a LAN. LAN is Local area Network which is who is connected to your router directly. There is also VPN which is Virtual Private Network which is like a LAN setup over internet. I think Hamatchi is a type of VPN.

You should be fine with IP direct which the other comp in the house uses the internal IP and the friend over internet uses the external IP to connect to the host with the ports opened to accept incoming connection..

If you had a true LAN setup you would not need the IP as the game would show up in the list automatically for people connected to the router or over a VPN.

Once you are in there I recommend protecting you wireless as your neighbours might use this to do some real bad stuff.

November 25, 2011 11:24:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ok i got to the DMZ menu, there is a text box called "DMZ host IP" i tried both my IP and IPv4 address and my friend also couldn't join,any clue? am i doing something wrong? or there is something still need to be done?

November 25, 2011 11:55:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I really suspect that it isn't supposed to be this hard...

November 25, 2011 12:09:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

maybe there was a misunderstanding here, i have 2 computers and 1 cd key valid for only one account, i have a friend who also has the game, me and my brother want to play with him, so we are trying to connect to each other through a VPN (hamachi) we can't connect through ICO because my brother wont play that way, so when i create a game no one can join, when he does we all can connect and play, so what is the problem?

November 25, 2011 12:57:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you are using 'HAMACHI' then all you need to do is this.

1) Start Hamachi on each machine.

2) Start Sins of a Solar Empire.

3) One person creates a multiplayer game.

4) The others join.

Using Hamachi it is THAT simple.  Hamachi over-rides your local IP and gives you a new number to use. Any programs started after it is turned on use the new IP. There shouldn't be any issues related to this one way or another unless your computer is blocking the program. If your computer is blocking the program, Alt-Tab once you start the game to see if ther is a windows firewall box that pops up. If there isn't you can always go into your firewall settings through your control panel and in one of the tabs you can set Sins up as an exception.

I don't know what else to tell you as it is that easy. Hamachi simplifies it so it should not be this complicated.

November 25, 2011 1:09:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There could be a setting issue or driver issue if one person consistently can't host....there are a million different little settings that might be causing that and I certainly don't know even half of them, but it wouldn't hurt to look in your network settings and see if there are discrepancies between the problem computer and everyone else....

Also, doesn't hurt to make sure you have the latest ethernet port driver...

November 25, 2011 4:51:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

em, i finally got it to work  , thanks of course to your help and support i really appreciate it very much, with out it i would have been playing against CPU till now, and you don't need to know how i got it to work (for many people will go cross, and i will get killed  ), thank you very much guys!!

January 9, 2012 12:08:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey All,

Sorry if this qualifies as necro-posting or what have you, but I and my brother were having this exact same problem and worked through a variety of potential solutions which all failed to make the problem any better. After much frustration, we found a pretty simple guide on how to make it work.

We are currently using a laptop and a desktop both running windows 7 and connected via a direct ethernet connection (no routers or anything).

We were able to finally get it to work by going through "Network and Sharing Center" and clicking on the "Change Adapter Settings" on the left hand side of the window. After, we right clicked on the "Local Area Connection," then we then unchecked  the TCP/IvP6 dialogue box under the properties tab and selected TCP/IvP4 (if it wasn't already selected).

We then followed this guide pretty much step by step:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-25120-how-to-connect-two-laptops-using-lan-cable

You cannot select to automatically change the DNS settings, so leave those blank.

Make sure the other computer connected to the host inputs the host's IP address in the multiplayer "Join Game" screen. We used port 6112 and had no difficulties.

Hope this helps alleviate some headaches.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time: