Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Bad FPS on a very competant system

By on December 9, 2011 1:47:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

willsor

Join Date 12/2011

Hi

I am really trying to enjoy this game, but I have an absolutely terrible FPS for pretty much the whole time playing. At the very start of  games I get about 20fps, and during any sort of combat, however large, it goes into the single figures.

My computer can run BFBC2 at 60fps, BF3 at 35fps and Shogun 2 Total war at about 25-30fps, all at 1920x1080 and max-ish settings

• My system
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
  • Foxconn FlamingbladeGTI mobo
  • Intel core i7 930 2.8gGHz (tried both normal, and overclocked to 3.6GHz
  • 6144MB RAM
  • DX11
  • Radeon HD 5850 1GB

I have tried with hyperthreading both enabled and disabled. I'm not sure what's going on here, something must be wrong, as even on the menu screen I only get 20fps. 

I have tried with every single effect in "Effects" unchecked, all graphics options on low, at 1280x720 and no AA, and nothing helps.

I have checked my CCC and for some reason the page shows my card still on the "low performance/power saving" mode (ie reduced clock speeds) even when the game is running and the activity of it is 0% all the time. Here is a screencap

Can anyone help?

Thanks

(I realise there are a lot of threads about this, but they were all from a few years ago so I wanted to see if anything had changed/been fixed)

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 9, 2011 8:42:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Sins menu is weird. Even with all effects off and even with the 3d galaxy backdrop turned off, it still frequently uses almost all of my CPU just to display the text and buttons.

If you want to determine performance via FPS you might get a more accurate reading from seeing how things are ingame, rather than on the menu.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but the Aero explorer interface may be taking a little bit of system resources (but it shouldn't be significant enough to affect Sins performance much at all, given your system's stats). You could also try running Sins in fullscreen rather than in a window - some have said that that can improve performance as well (but I'm not sure about that either).

Try it out, see if you get different results...

December 10, 2011 6:32:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi Wrath, thanks for the reply. 

I think the screenshot is a little confusing. I was just trying to show the activity of my GPU while playing the game, and the bad fps on the menu screen.

I have tried the game fullscreen, and even in game the fps is still as bad as the menu screen, I just mentioned the menu screen but I because I thought it might have better fps than in game.

I have also tried the game using gamebooster (it switches to the basic windows theme in addition to closing unwanted processes in my system) and still no joy.

I appreciate this is a hard problem to diagnose(and come on, there MUST be a problem with an fps this bad) so thanks for the help

December 10, 2011 9:05:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1.Go to control panels/ Power options/ ------- then change to high performance.

2.Download the latest graphics drivers and re-install them from 

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/downloads.asp

3.download this program to monitor your cpu temperatures when playing the game:

http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=exe

Post them here when u r done. 

Goodluck.

December 10, 2011 10:48:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi RiddleKing

I changed the setting to High Performance and it didn't help and the link for drivers said they were all up to date.

I ran a memtest (windows and memtest86) and they came out with no errors.

My computer does run hot (60-70 degrees Celsius on full load) but that hasn't stopped my fps in any other games. 

December 10, 2011 11:08:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have you tried redownloading?

December 10, 2011 11:58:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Did you assemble the machine yourself?

Make sure your motherboard is screwed properly onto the pc case and also the cpu fan is attached/screwed properly. 

What anti-virus are you using?

Also download this:

http://www.tune-up.com/

Then run the turbo feature ( should be a wizard of sorts. You'll figure it out)

December 10, 2011 1:37:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Try closing your other programs in the background, especially your web browsers (ESPECIALLY if one of them is on a site using Flash). At least on my machine I've found that to increase my performance significantly. Steam also occasionally has a tendency to spike to 100% CPU for minutes/hours on end, especially if it's stuck in a bug caused by who-knows-what, so that's something else to consider.

Active antivirus and other general running programs could be causing an issue as well... have you tried running the game with no other processes running except for the essential Windows ones?

December 10, 2011 4:01:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

also what SPEED ram do you have,( eg 1333mhz, 1600mhz, 1866mhz, 2000mhz), and how large a map with how many players?

the sins game engine is RAM speed & cpu SINGLE core m/ghz limited from my own testing and the more players(ai)= more ships=MORE work for the poor single core of the cpu( as it does all the calcs in ram(from my observations) before sending the results to the video card.

harpo

December 10, 2011 4:45:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for all the help guys. Not sure which part exactly fixed it, but the game now runs well enough, at least it has had a significant improvement. (About 40fps at the start of games, 25 when it gets really hectic).

May have been the re-install that did it, or the tune up program.

Thanks everyone

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: