Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

GTX 560 vs Radeon HD 6870

By on January 17, 2012 1:58:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Whisker_Fish

Join Date 01/2012
+4

So I'm looking for a new graphic card for a budget gaming pc an would like to stay under $200. It would seem that my best two options are either the GTX 560 or the 6870. Both are about the same price at 189 on Amazon.com (newegg is around the same). And from all the research I've done, it seems like these two cards perform very similarly when it comes to benchmarks. In fact, the only noticable difference I've found is that one takes up a little less power.

Since I've not built a computer in a while, I'd like to know your guys opinion on which you prefer, including (but not limited to) any personal experience with either products.

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 17, 2012 2:16:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Speaking from a preventative problems stand point, ATI cards sometimes have issues with the .dds format (nVidia format) that Sins uses and is heavily used in mods trying to save on space, and picture portraits in game get messed up.  Not that playing Sins should be the deciding factor, but its worth at least a mention.

January 17, 2012 3:33:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,
Speaking from a preventative problems stand point, ATI cards sometimes have issues with the .dds format (nVidia format) that Sins uses and is heavily used in mods trying to save on space, and picture portraits in game get messed up. 

I have a soft spot for nVidia since my first computer I built had an 8800 in it. Ever since then, I don't know I think nVidia has been what I prefered. But I'm not sure I like the idea of either a dumbed down card (Since it's essentially the 560 ti, just one of the cores or whatever it's called turned off). And I've seen a lot of love around for the 6870, so I keep going back to it though.

Quoting Stant123,
Not that playing Sins should be the deciding factor, but its worth at least a mention.

Considering this is a Sins forum, I think that's a fair point. Besides, there are three games I want this system to run out of the game at as high a setting I can get; Old Republic, Sins, and Civ 5. I believe that Sins with the graphic improving mods is probably the highest demanding of the games I want to play, so actually Sins is a leading factor in which card I play.

January 17, 2012 12:02:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Talking of Star Wars, my guildie mentioned that some people with ATI cards were having some graphic errors, like green lines.  But, I've also heard that everyone is having them.  I have less trust with ATI since I had problems years ago with a strange stutter step in LOTR and some other off line games. 

January 17, 2012 12:46:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

talking about games in general it should be Nvidia
comparing those 2 cards immediatly gives me the itch... the HD6870 doesnt even come close to the gtx 480 ! thze 560 gtx is even stronger than the 480
Unsure what test you reviewed but to answer you that question quick : take the GTX560 it also has physx for games like batman or alice

January 17, 2012 3:14:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Talking of Star Wars, my guildie mentioned that some people with ATI cards were having some graphic errors, like green lines.  But, I've also heard that everyone is having them.  I have less trust with ATI since I had problems years ago with a strange stutter step in LOTR and some other off line games. 

Interesting enough, it would seem that the game has some difficulty running Crossfire for the ATI cards. Though my current build is a budget pc and i'm not looking to run Crossfire/SLI, it still is part of the equation. (My motherboard doesn't even have the option currently).

Quoting Roloccolor,
talking about games in general it should be Nvidia
comparing those 2 cards immediatly gives me the itch... the HD6870 doesnt even come close to the gtx 480 ! thze 560 gtx is even stronger than the 480
Unsure what test you reviewed but to answer you that question quick : take the GTX560 it also has physx for games like batman or alice

Here you go, a review of the card as well as some benchmarks you can flip through:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-amp-edition-gtx-560-directcu-ii-top,2944.html

January 17, 2012 7:50:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tiger Direct has the ZOTAC ZT-50304-10M GeForce GTX 560 Ti OverClocked 1GB GDDR5 Video Card for $250 - $25 off with coupon code GBG52984 - $25 rebate [Exp 1/31] - $15 rebate [Exp 1/22] = $185 with free shipping.

LINK

Not spamming, just sayin'

January 17, 2012 8:22:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Old Republic, Sins, and Civ 5 don't need anything close to that powerful of a card. Your old nvidia 8800 will run things up to BF3 on decent settings let alone the much less graphical intense games you listed.

That said if I was choosing I would go for Nvidia cards over ATI as they seem to run into the least amount of problems when it concerns games. There is a reason why the Nvidia logo shows up in a lot of games as well as the first and maybe only thing to show up in the video card requirements. The majority of these high graphic triple A games are optomized for the Nvidia driver. ATI not so much. That should be a big deciding factor when choosing between the two.

That and I have been using Nvidia for years and they havn't let me down yet so why switch?

January 18, 2012 10:09:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have used ATI cards for many years after a bad Nvidia experience (it was 10 years ago though).  Never had a single problem with ATI cards on new games.  Granted I don't play shooters.  But my 6950 rocks Skyrim on full Ultra at 60 fps with no hiccups and I had no problems at launch of that game either.  Just keep your drivers up to date and look for beta drivers targeted for your specific game if there are issues.  Nvidia does the same thing.

January 19, 2012 12:59:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just bought the ATI 6770 for about $135us and it runs Skyrim smooth as silk on ultra, and all my TBS games just fine.

January 19, 2012 1:18:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

First off, I'd like to thank you all for your productive comments and suggestions. Free cookies (or Karma if you prefer) for all!

Quoting Rovert10,
Old Republic, Sins, and Civ 5 don't need anything close to that powerful of a card. Your old nvidia 8800 will run things up to BF3 on decent settings let alone the much less graphical intense games you listed.

Very true Rovert. What I meant was that those were the games I was going to get when I first built the computer and would start to play immediately. However, I'd like to play more RPG's on the computer, due to the modding community. For example I'd love to get into Skyrim...

Quoting bonscott,
I have used ATI cards for many years after a bad Nvidia experience (it was 10 years ago though).  Never had a single problem with ATI cards on new games.  Granted I don't play shooters.  But my 6950 rocks Skyrim on full Ultra at 60 fps with no hiccups and I had no problems at launch of that game either...

Quoting mqpiffle,
I just bought the ATI 6770 for about $135us and it runs Skyrim smooth as silk on ultra, and all my TBS games just fine.

That is interesting, when you say Ultra, is that with FXAA enabled? And how about Transparent/Adaptive AA? In any case though, the 6950 is a little bit above my pay scale, as I'd like to keep the graphic card below $200. The 6770 though is interesting, though I think I may pay the extra $20 if I'm in that range for a little more performance from the 6850.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: