Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Titan Color Comparison w/Screenshots

By on March 5, 2012 12:03:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

YnrhedZombie

Join Date 07/2010
+10

Note: This post started out as a "Hey why are the colors on this screenshot different from mine" post, but eventually evolved into a color chart for the Titans in Beta 1.

Compare:

Official Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion Screenshot http://stardock.cachefly.net/www_sinsofasolarempire_com-assets/screenshots/SinsRebellion_beta1_2.jpg

To the following from my game (closest I could get):

To be honest, I didn't even see the blue until I saw the official screenshot.

BLUE

Those color highlights are really subdued on mine. How about you guys. Does your Ankylon look like mine or the screenshot?

Edit: Here are some more. Different background to contrast.

Still subdued. Is there a slider that can adjust the color opacity? If not, what would you guys think of that?

That being said, good to know that color determines the engine trails. Gotta try purple!

Gonna just go ahead and post them all while I'm at it.

LIGHT BLUE

RED

YELLOW

LIME GREEN

NEUTRAL (From the Starting Menu)

ORANGE

(DARK) GREEN

(DARK) BLUE

PINK

PURPLE

TURQUOISE

RAGNAROV (Taking a different approach with these)

LIGHT BLUE

RED

YELLOW

LIME GREEN

NEUTRAL (From Starting Menu)

ORANGE

(DARK) GREEN

(DARK) BLUE

PINK

PURPLE (Getting attacked while I'm trying to take a picture! Sheesh!)

TURQUOISE

Locked Post 28 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 5, 2012 12:25:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I must admit - great job on recreating the screenshot.

Also, to answer your question, my Ankylon(s) looks like yours.

March 5, 2012 12:27:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The color highlights are subdued a bit. What would make a better comparison is to change your team color to match that of the Yellow in the original picture and update the OP. Make sure that the planet is also Volcanic with the same sun in the system and the same skybox if possible. All of these things change the color of light, shadows, and brightness of objects in the game to my knowledge.

March 5, 2012 12:34:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Will try yellow on red background right now.

Gonna try my darndest to make it look like theirs! lol.

March 5, 2012 12:46:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Uploaded it. It's right under it to compare more easily.

March 5, 2012 1:03:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That last screen shot looks a lot more like the developer's screen shot. I guess that lighting really does have an affect on the trim.

March 5, 2012 1:06:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That's pretty good! To nitpick ... ... take the shot on the other side of the gravity well so that the Sun, Planet, and Titan are all in the same orientation (for shadows). Also, make sure the Sun is the same color if it wasn't already.

I think they might have played with the color levels in Photoshop for the picture (or used a brighter Player Color setting) at the time the picture was originally taken.

Otherwise it looks almost identical.

March 5, 2012 1:15:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

*Pouts* But I wanna do all the cowors fiwst!

March 5, 2012 1:21:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting InvalidSN,
*Pouts* But I wanna do all the cowors fiwst!

Then I task you to give us the ship in all possible colors - I am talking about the full RGB spectrum. I want to see some 444444 going on!

Edit: What am I thinking? That is gray! I should be punished for demanding gray on gray.

March 5, 2012 1:28:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm going to redo some of these and have the vapor trails so that they all resemble

Work in progress btw if this changes constantly.

March 5, 2012 3:00:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Starting on Ragnarov.

One thing we all learned today is ANKYLON Y U NO GLOW IN DARK?

Finished. With my luck, all these colors will change and my four hours of doing this will be for naught 

March 5, 2012 9:33:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To answer your question, the team color on the TEC loyalist Titan was tweaked a bit after we finalized the beta build, but before we took that screenshot.  It will look similar to the top screenshot in future builds.

March 5, 2012 10:18:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is one thing, i do not like about the Ankylon´s look, namely that curvature on those side panels (or how to call it). More precisely, the curvature is fine idea, but it should have been IMHO a single continuous curvaceous surface, not 4 flat surfaces arranged into slight curve, separated with those vertical pylons...

March 5, 2012 10:37:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree with the OP. The colors are not as distinct on the Titans as I thought they would be. Even the flares from the engine and the markings are not as clear cut.

March 5, 2012 12:22:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting cbray,
To answer your question, the team color on the TEC loyalist Titan was tweaked a bit after we finalized the beta build, but before we took that screenshot.  It will look similar to the top screenshot in future builds.

^ DEV? If so, thank you for the update!

March 5, 2012 12:32:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Then I`d like to add a question: The other Titans lack Team colour at the moment (exept the Advent Rebell one) is this subjekt to future changes? (probably yes I`d guess)

Edit: How did you get the screenshots to be viewed by public .... would love to add some pics but can t link to steam

March 5, 2012 1:33:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Exidius,
Edit: How did you get the screenshots to be viewed by public .... would love to add some pics but can t link to steam

Go to your desired screenshot in your steam library, click "view full size" in the options window on the right, right click the image and click "copy page url."

URL should come out like this and be viewable to all who have the link, as an example, I took this while checking for changes in the tutorials because of the pretty skybox:

Direct link: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/487751575566822036/D4230E060E60D4983C7CAA4F4100860CB222DA05/

And now I'll post it as an image:

March 5, 2012 2:05:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What Mr. Haze said. It's kind of a pain though. My game likes to crash a lot when I take screenshots so I save a whole ton. Also you have to view the screenshots, upload them, view online, view full size, right click to copy url, then go here, find where you want to put the screen shot, click the green tree thing, and paste it. Doing it 22 times takes a while haha.

Also this website I think registers photos as full size so there is a lot of dead space below the post when it compresses itself. I think. There is for me at least.

March 5, 2012 2:45:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks a lot. Here are some images of the other Titans:

On the other ones i found no colours changing according to team colour, probably just a beta thing.

No the orange glowing thing doesn t change colour:

March 5, 2012 2:59:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You deserve many a karma good chap!

March 5, 2012 3:11:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well sadly still bad screenshots, probably will do some better after my Statistics Exams. I will have some more time then.

March 5, 2012 3:18:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Still works for me. Interesting how little damage the Coronata does compared to the Eradica.

March 5, 2012 3:31:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The reason why your pictures are looking different  is the  released one is renderd at high settings from the graphic engine they use.

For exampel one faktor woud be the resolution. Your pic has the resolution of your Monitor  , the relesead picture is maybe rendered with  a resolution of 8000x8000 pix. the detail on the released one are much higher. In game every picture that you see is rendered for exampel at 1280x768(depends on what you set ingame), the reason is to keep your performance high to avoid any laggs. 

different colours: every pc have a slightly different gama calibration, this coud lead to this effekt. You can  tweak your gama at graphic settings, monitor settings..and ingame aswell. or later in Photoshop.

I guess the released pic is over-worked in Photoshop where you can tweak all that stuff.

I dont knew what render engine they use but i for exampel knew Vray. In Vray you can define with what Quality you render a picture. Vray  simultate naturel light under considering the physical laws.

Bescuase of this it is difficult to create the same render szene ingame, you woud have to position everything in the same way, distance form son to objekt, colours, incidence angle.... there a much more settings which you cant acces as a gamer.

If you want to get more intel intressting  keywords are "global illumination " ; "color bleeding" for exampel 

March 5, 2012 3:35:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting InvalidSN,
Still works for me. Interesting how little damage the Coronata does compared to the Eradica.

The Rebels are the most furious of the Advent factions. It is no surprise, to me at least.

March 5, 2012 3:48:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yottsu,

Quoting InvalidSN, reply 21Still works for me. Interesting how little damage the Coronata does compared to the Eradica.

The Rebels are the most furious of the Advent factions. It is no surprise, to me at least.

Alas, such is the cost of being able to Mind Control an entire planet

March 5, 2012 3:54:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting InvalidSN,

Quoting Yottsu, reply 23
Quoting InvalidSN, reply 21Still works for me. Interesting how little damage the Coronata does compared to the Eradica.

Alas, such is the cost of being able to Mind Control an entire planet

Be glad that the rebels do not get this ability, else they would go deep into your space, capture a planet, and then destroy it in an attempt to heavily damage the surrounding planets.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002250   Page Render Time: