Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Moon diversity

By on March 7, 2012 6:00:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

sareth01

Join Date 08/2008
+35

Moons need to be more diverse in both coloring and military/economic value.

as it stands they are just another asteroid by your HW.

Moons are incredibly diverse (just look at our solar system). 

A few ideas to spice moons up:

Mini volcano moons for higher tactical slots (maybe 4 more starting) ~ similar to Io

Special ability: 4 more tactical slots

Moons with atmospheres that can support life (higher population for taxes) ~ Still looking for these out there in space

Special ability: 20 higher population

Moons with abundant natural resources that would greatly aid in production (all metal resource asteroids)~ titan, ganymede

Special ability: 15% faster ship production at this moon

Ice moons that would be good for getting early crystal production (all crystal asteroids) ~ similar to europa

Special ability: 4 more logistics slots

Asteroid Belt 5 population max, 4-5 low yield resource nodes

Special ability: 10% more damage for all friendly ships in the gravity well using superior knowledge of the belt

Large moons:

Special ability: 1 more Hitpoint upgrade level bringing them to 4000 max HP

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 7, 2012 6:04:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I like these good job and I secound your first statement

March 7, 2012 7:29:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some nice ideas there, but I doubt we will ever see more moons in the main game (in a mod we will see more definitely, I don't doubt that).

March 7, 2012 7:34:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yet, since moons are pretty much given to players like asteroids are you run into a lack of random luck that will keep the game engaging for a longer period of time.  Resources are more plentiful because of this, so add a little diversity to starting planets so that players have a few more early options.  Early options help to balance the game making players the center of balance instead of developers.

everyone wins

March 9, 2012 9:28:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I like this idea a lot.

March 9, 2012 1:10:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Should the moons gain a buff specific to themselves like they draw in smaller ships to themselves and kill them(like the scouts and corvettes only) since our moon controls the tides on Earth. Just a fun thought so players that are unwary learn to micro manage fleets better

March 9, 2012 1:22:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting upsurper,
Should the moons gain a buff specific to themselves like they draw in smaller ships to themselves and kill them(like the scouts and corvettes only) since our moon controls the tides on Earth. Just a fun thought so players that are unwary learn to micro manage fleets better

Lol i think this a bit OP as a planet...perhaps a black hole that at the same time causes space time distortion that knocks out engines and sucks fleet into it.  Honestly it should take a while, a black hole would be a fun obstacle to deal with as long as the devs thought it out and didn't use oversimplified concepts of black holes(to make this a very interesting phenomenon).

Tides on the earth are caused by gravity, and since gravity (as we know it) is just a "magical" force that occurs when lots of stuff is crammed together, we can assume that all moons have it.  Therefore as is your idea doesn't really have any plausible explanation(though it is fundamentally a fun idea) when dealing with fleets that can move under their own power.  That being said I could be wrong tomorrow because we could find something interesting via kepler or the improved hubble or another collection device that throw our understanding of the universe upside down.

One way to improve your initial idea would be that if a ships propulsion gets knocked out it slowly starts to drift towards the aforementioned black hole.  If you keep it knocked out there is a chance that it could get sucked in (an another larger chance that it would achieve a small orbit around the mouth of the black hole).  In this way military strategy plays a role. 

Imagine how fun and at the same time angry you would be if you killed/lost a titan in this fashion.

Makes me want to build a different set of capital ships at the start .

Now back on topic, seems people like the moon idea so far, keep it coming with the feedback .

March 9, 2012 7:08:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

this can be awarded 100 internetz

March 10, 2012 10:03:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Shouldn't moons be in the same well as the planet? 

March 10, 2012 10:09:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting wbino,

Away with your non-sense!

March 10, 2012 10:19:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting wbino,

My thoughts exactly, it would gave the game more diversity than the way it is now. Planets with a moon can have more population and more logistic/militairy slots. This would make a planet with 2 or 3 moons incredibly appealing to take early on to make a forward base.

March 10, 2012 10:35:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting wbino,

Technically, yes. Otherwise naming them moons is nonesense. (It would make sense they are like astroides then, though). For gameplay purposes, I think a moon should be near a plant, like an overlapping gravity well. I have seen this with plantes on a few scenarios and I think even random maps. And I think it's cool. Some jump speed bonus (if any jump at all) from well to well would be nice.

Putting 4 starbases in close vicinity would make them like super-fortresses 

Edit: In this case, it would make sense to have a "moon abundance" slider for random maps.

March 10, 2012 11:09:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Overlapping gravity wells is the last thing I want to see... Way too confusing.

March 10, 2012 11:14:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well needless to say they won't have their own gravity well.

March 10, 2012 11:25:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

+1 for moon epicness!

March 10, 2012 11:28:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,
Overlapping gravity wells is the last thing I want to see... Way too confusing.

You have to select to planet/moon to build anyway, so where is the confusion?

March 10, 2012 12:03:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In the SOGE mod they have the moons in the same grav well as the planet. I think the DEVS threw us a bone and were tired of the "gotta have moons" crowd, and just turned some asteroids into moons.....basically the lazy way out.

These are just pie in sky and never will happen....But..

A tech to turn moons into a planet fortress were the moon must be defeated before planet.

Have moons able to project the planetary shield....

Surface to Air (space) defenses to protect the ships and structures in a friendly well.

Even more fun...allow enemies to capture your moon once defeated, and have a moon against planet wars.

March 10, 2012 2:31:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DerSenf,
You have to select to planet/moon to build anyway, so where is the confusion?
The confusing thing is that you cannot see which objects are in which gravity well in case of an overlap. I hope you understand that units in Gravity well A are unable to attack units in Gravity well B even when they are right next to each other. Which makes an overlap even more pointless.

March 10, 2012 2:52:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i personally am still rooting for a fun idea just to add some more charm to the game

March 10, 2012 9:04:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, give moons a more unique naming system.  A moon should be small enough for some space entrepreneurs to purchase them. 

Having moons named "dave's pitt stop" with flashing lights would be interesting and bring a more personal feel to each of the races.

So lets examine the scenario:

Daves pitt stop is under attack!!!

Commander: Men, we must protect Dave's moon at all costs, their corndogs are to die for and those advent bastards won't steal them from us!

LT. Someone: Cmdr! We have incoming vasari hostiles as well!

Commander: Hmmm seems they can't stand letting the advent gain access to such a morale boost, We will have to construct a starbase ASAP and see how things play out...

And the war over Dave's pitt stop continues....

March 11, 2012 2:59:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Check please!

March 11, 2012 3:14:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Maybe have moons present in in some previously uncolonizable gravity wells. For example, in magnetic fields etc. Gas giants in particular should have moons, since that's pretty common irl.

In regards to having moons in the same wells as colonizable planets, other than the engine issues stemming from overlapping gravity wells there is the question of shared territory. If one player owns the planet and the other the moon then how would you resolve things such as Starbase governments, logistics slots, culture, and constructors decommissioning buildings?

March 11, 2012 5:15:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sunlandic,
Maybe have moons present in in some previously uncolonizable gravity wells. For example, in magnetic fields etc. Gas giants in particular should have moons, since that's pretty common irl.

In regards to having moons in the same wells as colonizable planets, other than the engine issues stemming from overlapping gravity wells there is the question of shared territory. If one player owns the planet and the other the moon then how would you resolve things such as Starbase governments, logistics slots, culture, and constructors decommissioning buildings?

But then they wouldn't be moon would they?

I don't see why moons should have a gravity well, they should just circle in the planet's gravity well.

March 11, 2012 10:28:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why not make some of the asteroids around the planets, have the moon textures... and just make them the mining resource..? I was always wondering why there are asteroids around planets and not moons in the gravity wells.... just my .02 cents...

March 11, 2012 10:52:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why shouldn't moons have their own gravity wells? Moons do have gravity, much more so than asteroids. Moons' gravity wells should be near planets, but not overlapping, as that would make things confusing as Sunlandic said.

Also I'd just like to point out that while it would make sense for moons to be trapped in a planet's gravity well, that would make things unnecessarily complicated, if more realistic. Besides, what solar system is perfectly symmetrical real life? 

March 11, 2012 11:57:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting seal160,
Why not make some of the asteroids around the planets, have the moon textures... and just make them the mining resource..? I was always wondering why there are asteroids around planets and not moons in the gravity wells.... just my .02 cents...
Something like this should actually be doable. Though an extractor on a moon would look a bit weird. The extractors should be scaled down if this was implemented. But it would be an easy way to solve the lack of moons. Great thinking!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000468   Page Render Time: