Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Rebellion pre-order and regular game

By on March 8, 2012 11:14:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

sirwill72

Join Date 03/2012

Hi, I am considering purchasing Sins Rebellion pre-order.  I don't have any other version of the game.  I was about to buy it for 19.99 then I found out Rebellion was coming out and figured why not get that if it comes with all older content, right?

My question is, if I get the pre-order will that allow me to play the regular old game until release?  Or just the beta content? Or... what?

Edit: Actually now I'm confused after reading some other stuff.  Does Rebellion come with all the older content?

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 8, 2012 11:46:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Rebellion is a stand alone expansion. All the stuff the expansions added (Starbases, more diplomacy etc.) are in it, but the expansions aren't available by themselves as of right now. You'll only be able to play the Rebellion beta, and won't be able to play the earlier game for mods or more balanced multiplayer.

For your money Rebellion is still the better deal, it just may take a bit for you to get the full enjoyment out of it until its finished (and thus all the races are playable) and the mod and multiplayer communities transition over.

March 9, 2012 1:25:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So just to be clear, Rebellion will include all previous Sins content, I just won't be able to play the older stuff until release of Rebellion?

Thanks

March 9, 2012 1:39:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting sirwill72,
So just to be clear, Rebellion will include all previous Sins content, I just won't be able to play the older stuff until release of Rebellion?

When you are playing Rebellion it has all the old stuff + the new stuff, but as of right now, you won't be able to just play the old stuff (also only one set of factions is in the beta as of right now, but the others will be added in later). And since they haven't said anything about it so far, I doubt that will change. But if you don't care about any older mods that might not go to Rebellion or have friends that have the expansions but won't get Rebellion, you have nothing to lose.

March 9, 2012 11:06:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting sirwill72,

Thanks

All expansions of sins including rebellion comes with the previous content. The difference with Rebellion is you do not get separate executables for Vanilla, Entrenchment and Diplomacy. Trinity however includes 3 different executables for the original game and each expansion. 

One way to look at purchasing Trinity right NOW is it will only cost you $10 IF you plan to buy Rebellion as you'll get $10 dollars off that purchase. The advantage here is you will get all 3 executables as well as Rebellion (assuming you pre-order now). 

Having all 4 executables opens you up to a wide range of gaming possibilities which GoaFan pointed out.

Diplomacy is currently the MP standard (might change with rebellion).

Mods that MAY make having all 3 executables worth your while:

Dawn of Victory (original version, not released but looks good)

Sins of the Prophets (Entrenchment)

Sins of a Galactic Empire (Entrenchment)

7ds beta (Entrenchment)

Maelstrom (All versions)

Distant Stars (Diplomacy)

Star Wars Requiem (Diplomacy)

Sins of the Fallen (Diplomacy)

Sins of the Fallen: Blood and Chrome (Battlestar Galactica) (Diplomacy, work in progress)

Stargate Races (Diplomacy)

Stargate Invasion (Diplomacy)

Star Trek: Sacrifice of Angels 2 (Diplomacy)

Babylon 5: Sins of the Younger Races (Diplomacy)

Goa's 4x mod (Diplomacy)

If you like mods the released mods alone are worth the extra 10 bucks.

March 9, 2012 1:22:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the info!  I haven't had much success with mods in other games (Total War, etc) so I'm not historically a mod type guy but that is still good to know.

Edit: Upon about 30 seconds' reflection, I am going to buy Trinity right now.  

March 9, 2012 2:41:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mods are very easy to use once you figure out the hidden location imposed by Microsoft.

Most the mods for Sins are very well done too so I personally think it's worth it to have the older exe's despite the pending Rebellion release. It will take some time for the current mod set to move to Rebellion if they even choose to.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: