Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

(Suggestion) Rename subfactions

By on March 13, 2012 6:35:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Timmaigh

Join Date 05/2009
+44

As the title says, i would suggest rename the subfactions for each race. I mean the TEC could keep the Loyalist/Rebel as subfaction designation, but for other races these would be replaced with some other words, which would basically keep the meaning (at least in regard to lore), but will be different. For example you could replace Advent Rebels with Advent Apostates, Vasari Rebels with  Renegades, Vasari Loyalists with Extremists (given their new extreme measures), Advent Loyalists with...??? surely someone can come with something...

There are ofc others, perhaps better fitting possibilities, i am not english speaker myself, so take these only as rough examples.

The whole point in doing this would be to make future communication not only on these boards easier. Instead of writing for example Vasari Rebels you write Renegades and people will know, what are you talking about. It will simply prevent confusion, if you forget to specify, which race are talking about.  Right now, as people basically talk about TEC only, its bit irrelevant, but in future it might become quite handy.

Locked Post 20 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 13, 2012 7:42:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I actually think that this is a great idea and encourage Stardock to heed the words of Timmaigh and change the names of the Vasari and Advent sub factions. Personally, I think that "Apostates" is a great name, fitting the Advent like a glove. I am surprised that you are not an English speaker, Timmaigh, using great words like that. I have never even heard that word before, but it sounds really awesome.

I wish that I could give you a suggestion for an Advent Loyalist name, but I just took the CAHSEE today at school and my brainpower has been completely spent.

I think that this is a valuable idea and would make Rebellion a better and cooler game.

March 13, 2012 8:13:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Seconded. If each race has its own distinct play style and flavor, I would love for the factions to be categorized accordingly.
Along this same vein, I've another suggestion. For the TEC, it seems a bit odd to have the "Nithiem Rebels" be a Loyalist faction.
Could the devs see about re-naming some of the random faction names to be more fitting to their alignment?

March 13, 2012 9:14:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

TEC Loyalists / Rebels

Advent Fundamentalists / Apostates

Vasari I have no idea. It depends on whether you want to focus on their old empire and go with something like Imperialist, or their current nomadic ways.

March 14, 2012 4:56:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for your support and ideas, guys. Hopefully someone from Ironclad will take notice of this topic

In regard to Apostates, i had to use dictionary to find that word, hehe... i knew, what i was looking for, i mean synonyme to "renegade from religion", but tbf, never heard the word "Apostate" before myself as well 

March 14, 2012 5:23:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Simply Vasari Imperialists would be fine for their loyalists and I like the sound of Advent Fundamentalists. Or maybe one of the Advent factions could be Advent Zealots? That could be fitting with either. But I do love Apostates. Great word.

March 14, 2012 7:25:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I actually like "Imperialists" as a name for one of the Vasari sub-factions. I think that it would go better with the Rebels, though, because the Vasari Loyalists are supposed to destroy planets, not imperialize them.

I also like both Zealots and Fundamentalists for the Advent, but I think that Fundamentalists would go better with the Loyalists because they are keeping to the Advent fundamentals, whereas the Zealots could go for both sub-factions, and so I think it is a little less awesome. I also hear the word "zealots" a lot more than the word "fundamentalists", so I think that it is a bit too overused to be a sub-faction name.

Great suggestions though.

March 14, 2012 7:43:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree that "Imperialist" would probably go better with the rebels. They're probably setting up their second empire in this system, only using the other races to prevent themselves from getting diced.

For the loyalists, would "Harvesters" be a better title? Of course that's reminiscent of MOO3... "Nomads" could work in a pinch...

Ah! How about the "Itinerants"? Means the same thing as Nomad, but looks more original.

Edit: Itinerant Vs Imperialist also sounds cool IMO.

March 14, 2012 7:43:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ibnpatuta,
I also like both Zealots and Fundamentalists for the Advent, but I think that Fundamentalists would go better with the Loyalists because they are keeping to the Advent fundamentals, whereas the Zealots could go for both sub-factions, and so I think it is a little less awesome. I also hear the word "zealots" a lot more than the word "fundamentalists", so I think that it is a bit too overused to be a sub-faction name.

Great suggestions though.

Well the reason "Apostates" is so great for the Rebels is because they're pretty much a textbook definition of Apostates.

"(apostates) Members who seriously oppose or ignore cardinal teachings of the Church, publicly or privately."

The Rebels have basically become a splinter "religion" in direct opposition to the Loyalist teaching that their "destiny" is that they destroy the TEC and conquer the Universe, assimilating or destroying everything in their path.

Fundamentalist works because, well, yeah, they're just fervently sticking with the same old song with renewed vigor and rejecting any other possibility (like peace.)

I do hope StarClad read this thread, I think this (subtle) change would make the faction split a bit more interesting.

And speaking of which, how about changing the default acronym that the TEC Rebels get on their Capital Ships/Titans? "TDN" stood for "Trader Defense Network", which fits perfectly with the Loyalists, but not so much with the new militant "xenophobic lynch mob" that is the Rebels.

March 14, 2012 7:52:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So...

TEC - Loyalist/Rebels

Advent - (Orthodox, Fundamentalists, Zealots)/Apostates

Vasari - Imperialists/Renegades?

Sounds good to me. Sins has been pretty careful with its faction based vocabulary, certainly fits well.

March 15, 2012 6:38:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fundamentalists, while probably very fitting, is bit too long word in my opinion.  

And not sure about the Imperialists designation, neither for Loyalist nor Rebel faction of Vasari. Rebels now seem to be quite cooperative and "friendly", that is not a behavior you would expect from someone called Imperialist. While Loyalist are not building any empire for sure, they actually leaving their planets. I would stick with my original "Extremist" label for them. Or Radicals.

March 15, 2012 7:04:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think the "Renegades" for Vasari Rebels is a bit confusing (your average western culture guy may easily find the differences between "Renegade" and "Radical" rather subtle - the two factions should clearly oppose each other, like Orthodox Advent and Advent Apostates).

The name for the Vasari Rebel subfaction should convey the fact, that they want to cooperate with other races. I'm not native speaker, so I have trouble finding suitable word myself.

March 15, 2012 8:21:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The reason I and some others named the Vas Loyals 'Imperialists' is because the Vasari Loyalists are still loyal to the old Vasari Empire, its ideals (kill and oppress) and the ideals that developed when they fled the old empire (run like f^%k while gathering as much as you can). The Vasari Rebels are going all hippy on them and therefore even if they are building more of a structural empire, it is harder for us (and themselves) to picture the Rebels as the true descendants of the Old Vasari Empire.  

March 15, 2012 8:46:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think that Advent Orthodox is the best name for the Advent loyalists.

For the Vasari loyalists, the name Imperialists does work. Or, the loyalists could be called the Traditionalists because they follow the path that the Vasari Empire has always followed.

Vasari Radicals could work for the Vasari rebels because they take a different approach to their predecessors but the Vasari rebels are not more violent so it doesn't completely fit. Instead, the name Vasari Collaborators could work the best because the Vasari rebels seek closer ties to the other factions. It also more clearly shows their goals and standpoint.

March 15, 2012 8:55:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I was thinking that Advent Disciples would work well for the loyalist subfaction, I at least prefer that to fundamentalists, which sounds so.. uhh, non-threatening. The other reason is that I think Disciple/Apostate counter each other well.

March 15, 2012 10:58:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Disciples sound quite good to me.

March 15, 2012 12:41:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How about Advent Purists / Advent Apostates?

Otherwise, I like Orthodox. It has a slight Dune feel to it.

March 15, 2012 1:06:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Purists wouldn't work given that the Advent Rebels are supposedly the faction with the "purified" and uncorrupted unity.

I rather like Orthodox as well.

March 15, 2012 3:29:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What is plural to Orthodox?

March 15, 2012 3:39:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Orthodoxes, but Orthodox refers to the group as a whole, not the individuals like "Rebels" or "Apostates."

March 15, 2012 8:11:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here is my personal opinion of what the Rebellion sub factions should be designated as, taking into account all of the suggestions thus far.

TEC - Loyalists / Rebels

Advent - Orthodox / Apostates

Vasari - Itinerants / Imperialists

I think that all of these suggestions correctly convey the play styles and philosophies of their respective factions without sounding overused or vague or too focused on one aspect of their existence as a sub faction. I also think that Orthodox has a slight Dune ring to it, and Dune is awesome.

In the end, though, it will be Stardock who decides what the best names are for the factions, and I hope that they change the names of the Vasari and Advent to something here on this post or maybe something cooler that they come up with themselves.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: