Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

I MAY HAVE DISCOVERED WHAT'S CHASING THE VASARI

By on March 23, 2012 6:56:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

OK, the dev's said there will be a clues in Rebellion as to what is chasing the Vasari and apparently it's not Sam Neil returning in a ship that vanished into a black hole for fifty years.

They also suggested that they thought it was possible some might get it rather quickly. 

To this end, I posit my guess.

I kept noticing in the varying screen shots the new Vasari ships.  We know the Vasari are quite happy to have institutionalized slavery and to force it on advanced but less powerful empires.

There's one theme in all the ships I saw..."Bugs Mr. Rico...zillions of 'em!".

I suggest the Vasari "assimilated" a space-faring insect species and experimented on them to gain their weapons and travel capabilities. 

Ever poke a stick into a wasp hive?  I did once.  There was a wee hole in the ground about three inches deep with a single yellow jacket in the bottom of it.  I killed it with a stick and then discovered that it was the entrance to a hive. 

Ever see the cartoons where the moving swarm comes out after the cartoon character? That's what happened.  A massive "nanite" cloud of angry wasps came out and chased my brother and I to the back door of my grandmother's house.  She wouldn't open it  because they were bouncing off the screen like machine gun bullets.  We ran to the front door on the other side of the house and when she got there, she couldn't open it either as they had followed us around.

Finally my aunt let us in and threw wet blankets over us and brushed us off with brooms.  I had been stung 32 times and had wasps in my nostrils, the corner of my eyes, between all of my fingers and dozens embedded by stingers in my belt, shoes and jeans.  The city sent an extermination crew out the next day and after gassing the hive dug it open.  It was 4 feet deep, 15 feet wide and 32 feet long.

I believe the Vasari poked a stick into a hive and now the swarm is after them.

If I am vetted officially at some point as being correct, I prefer to be thereafter referred to by name with the honorific, "Most  Mighty and Wise" prefacing it.

Thank you.

307 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 23, 2012 7:34:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If I am vetted officially at some point as being correct, I prefer to be thereafter referred to by name with the honorific, "Most  Mighty and Wise" prefacing it.

After admitting to poking a wasp hive? Man you make me laugh! Can't say I'm any wiser though, but at least I put on some goggles and a balaclava, when I poked a bees nest. & there was a sweet delicious bounty.

March 23, 2012 8:07:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pansies, real men don't wear protective gear, or run!

The key to playing with yellow jackets is simple.  Jab nest, sit and wait.  Proceed to merrily exterminate them one by one bare handed, while calmly sitting in the midst of the cloud.  Only a few will actually notice you as your hands dart around smashing their brethren.  You can kill more than you get stung.

You can use something that vibrates to distract them too, but that's no fun. 

March 23, 2012 10:09:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

March 23, 2012 10:13:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fools!  I know the secret the SEEEECREEEET!

March 23, 2012 11:35:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A insect like faction would be unoriginal and lame though.

March 23, 2012 12:27:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If they execute it beautifully in Sins 2 an unoriginal race can still be extremely satisfying to play or to fight againt. Would make for some interesting new strategies when this new race enters the battlefield. Though that will probably be in 2016 or something...

March 23, 2012 12:37:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does this sound familiar? [e digicons]:grin:[/e]

March 23, 2012 12:52:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
Does this sound familiar?

I knew it! I knew he got this wasp thing somewhere--

March 23, 2012 1:17:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Do you want to know more? Click Here!

March 23, 2012 2:05:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know what is chasing the Vasari, but I'm not telling.

March 23, 2012 2:20:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The landlord, they have this bad habbit of scrapping the stuff they rent.

March 23, 2012 2:26:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Tyrranid's/Zergs will always find their target

March 23, 2012 2:28:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting crisaron,
The landlord, they have this bad habbit of scrapping the stuff they rent.

Enjoy some karma.

March 23, 2012 4:19:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I saw a brilliant post in which it was stated that the Vasari WOMEN were chasing the men, and they were fleeing from them.

March 23, 2012 4:42:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd run.

March 23, 2012 6:10:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

its the wave

but lets count the facts:

there was one ship which survived the enemy and the crew gone insane. we know the run from self created terror.

so, if the enemy is a type of selfconstructing vasarinanites they should identify that the damage at the ship was made from there own technology.

so. what can drive a vasaricrew insane ? 
by the way, why would a complete crew will go insane? 

what would destroy their probes one by one and why ? just to release some terror ? or just because its a notbrained enemy ?

why is it slower than a vasariship ? 

someone know how long they are on the run ?

why there is no leak for this secret for around 4 years now ? maybe noone knows what chasing the vasari. So take the chance to tell the developers which story they can use. They just say its in the code to let our brains work for them  

and please, dont come with spacemonsters or eternal gods. the vasari dont fear monsters and a superbeeing god would at least  know that there is no reason to kill an entire lifeform. 

March 23, 2012 6:30:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,
If they execute it beautifully in Sins 2 an unoriginal race can still be extremely satisfying to play or to fight againt. Would make for some interesting new strategies when this new race enters the battlefield. Though that will probably be in 2016 or something...

Regarding 2016, hope not.

For Sins 2, i think i would prefer if they actually kept current subfactions, but made them even more different and unique. I mean more different techtrees, more unique units and unit classes and models etc...

March 23, 2012 9:07:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You all might probably be wrong, maybe.  Here is my official theory, in dramatic form:

"What if there is just one pursuer?  A lab experiment gone awry?  An ultimately powerful physic being, able to destroy planets and control trillions of people with ease?  A nearly immortal vengeful creation, bent on destroying all Vasari, and freeing their slaves, traveling with the mind-controlled Dark Fleet?  The living embodiment of dominance, a billion times more powerful than all the Advent combined?  Coming this way?"

Wadduyathink?

(By the way, the Vasari created him on accident; he is not a god, just very powerful. What they did is a sin, thus the Sins in SOASE)

March 23, 2012 9:09:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also, for a bunch more theories, go to http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/418779.  It is where people put Vasari pursuer theories.

March 23, 2012 11:59:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
Does this sound familiar?

lol the youtube title says starcraft troopers. it should be starship troopers!

March 24, 2012 12:55:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's Lost again. And if you don't get what I mean I'm envious.

March 24, 2012 9:15:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I wouldn't have guessed what I did as "my guess".  I'm going on the premise that Rebellion itself has specific clues to indicate what it is.

So just saying, "I think it's this" or "I think it's that" isn't deriving anything directly from Rebellion.

Rebellion itself has to correlate with your answer--and do so in a way that couldn't be derived from previous expansions alone.

So--looking specifically into Rebellion...what's there--that was not in previous releases--that backs up your theory(s)?

@unic...

I don't disagree necessarily with you but I can poke your logic.  If confronted with a genuinely "Godlike" being, the very fact that it defied anything conceivable by the Vasari could be enough to drive them insane. 

My own idea prior to Rebellion was the nanites--but let's think about it a second.  This is "Sins" of a Solar Empire.  What's the "sin" in nanites?  We could guess hubris, over-dependence, immoral usage or the like but that's just speculation.  If it's unleashing the grey dust that will destroy everything then why is there no lore from other races about their colonies vanishing or fleets being lost?  We could say, "It hasn't reached their space yet"...but that's back to pure, unsubstantiated speculation...and nothing that requires Rebellion in order to guess.

So what I did notice was how every new Vasari ship we've seen so far looks extremely bug-like.  What would be a "sin" would be to capture a species and experiment on it--or even mutate it into your ships--so you could use it's power.  What if the whole of Vasari technology is based on using the organic form of a sentient insect species?  So their ships--particularly the new Titans and capitals--might actually be lobotomized sentient insects used by the Vasari as ships.

The fear would be that if the insectoids were seeking retribution or were evolving to throw off Vasari incursions (either intelligently or merely instinctively) that not only would they be fighting the Vasari, they'd effectively be fighting the entire basis of their advanced technology--their actions would cause the Vasari would lose everything and be reduced to nothing.

As to the insanity, it may be the that the "dead" insect ships actually weren't and began to work against their supposed masters.  or perhaps the witnessing of a world being consumed by billions of living insects was like seeing a vision of the end of the world to the Vasari.

This is all speculation too--but I think the key is the insect-like look of the ships.  The only other new and distinctive features that might qualify would be the capability to reduce worlds or some new nanite functions--but the Vasari seem quite comfortable using nanites and have them well controlled.

@Ravagus...

Lol--I do get it....sadly.  Though in my defense, I stopped watching in season 3 as it became obvious.  I did tune in for the last of the final season though.  I should have known better.  I'm hoping Stardock isn't trying that route.  They claim they aren't.

March 24, 2012 6:04:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Perhaps they are running from the idiots who are asking when the next patch is.

March 24, 2012 11:16:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"The Darkness is coming."

Apparently.  hehe.

I always thought it was a nanite race with an obsession with revenge.

I've never seen the Vasari ships as insectile.  I mean, to me, an Orky or a Kortul or a Jarun Migrator isn't insectile.  I still support the idea of Grey_Goo.  Nanites can only be controlled by their programming.  And while the Vasari probably have great control over their programming, there are many other ways in which something could have gone wrong.  I'll remind you all of the destroying of the lab at Kron in the Diplomacy opening cinematic.

So, I think it is Grey Goo.  If the Vasari ships were insects that were semi-sentient, then we shouldn't be able to build Vasari ships, because all the ships of the Dark Fleet rebelled.  Two, the ships of the Dark Fleet were destroyed, not converted to the other side.  I will note that the new Vasari cap is supposed to have nanite abilities and is supposed to be made of nanites.  So I still advocate the Grey Goo principle.

March 25, 2012 1:31:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting unic,
so. what can drive a vasaricrew insane ?

Brain Bugs!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time: