Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Suggestion: automatic Z - axis construction via "formations"

By on April 1, 2012 3:32:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

sareth01

Join Date 08/2008
+42

Apply a formation function to tactical structures to give the player better control of how they are built.  Building a small "wall" of turrets to better help a player navigate around them so you have fewer instances of capital ships getting stuck on a turret(a very lame thing to watch..). 

Any actual capital ship would have a prescribed flight plan out of a tight nest of buildings, and would coordinate with the rest of the fleet.  While I don't see the pathing AI upgraded to this level of intelligence, I am suggesting that buildings have more order to them so that they can be placed more easily and sensibly within tight formations.  This primarily helps  capitals defending their structures from being sniped easily because they cannot leave the confines of their tight nest of defenses(when they should, space is 3d...this is ridiculous).  Better building placement would alleviate this to some degree. 

Yes i know the buildings already construct slightly in the Z-axis to some small degree, but finer placement options should be available.

Locked Post 5 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
TerribleNate
April 3, 2012 2:14:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Plus Karma, good idea not to mention would look really cool.

April 3, 2012 7:50:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There was in the original alpha newtonian physics, orbiting planets and 3D Z axis functions. I don't think even phase lanes existed back then. It was deemed not to be fun and dumbed down for the masses. The rest is history.

I too wish for better Z axis but believe unfortunately that it requires too much effort on the part of the programmers.

April 3, 2012 10:35:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh this suggestion isn't a "z-axis the crap out of the game please" request.

This is a request for finer building placement within the established Z axis in the game, so that its not random and looking like crap.  I think it would look cool to have a 3x3 -4x4 "wall" of defense turrets protecting your buildings.

April 3, 2012 10:38:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am surprised that no games really followed in Nexus and Homeworld's footsteps with full Z axis and formation control.

April 3, 2012 12:52:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree chronobomb.

Making planets larger, and at the same time dividing them up into regions that could be programmed to have an orbital assault aspect to the game would be very interesting. 

In this way movement and combat in 3d space would be made relevant, as you would attack the most vital aspects of a planets surface.

Naturally i'm implying that the developers would have to improve the mechanic of planetary acquisition to include using a form of randomized planetary combat.  I'm not suggesting 3d ground battles, but some form of planetary territorial conquest would be VERY engaging and add one more layer to the fight for an important planet.

This would also make Z axis control far more interesting, as important locations on a planet are fixed and would require a fleet to perch above them to begin the space to planetary "amphibious" assault.

This would also make planetary bombing far more interesting, as you would be actually bombing actual locations on the planet instead of having the planet rotate and you bomb the equator out.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: