Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Planets got bombarded

By on April 9, 2012 4:23:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cube1701

Join Date 10/2005

Hi,

I started the beta last day.

For me the game looks pretty cool but now I'm totally stuck. I always get to the point where the opponent starts to bombard my planets with some kind of a super torpedo. I have no idea what I can do against it.

I played 3 games and always the same.

Could someone please tell me how I can avoid being bombarded?

For a new player I think this is very annoying and frustrating. Maybe a better tutorial would help to let new player know how to counter this.

Another thing is, the tutorial font is quite difficult to read. I would prefer a wider font.

Regards,

Cube

19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 9, 2012 4:25:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You're probably talking about the Novalith cannon super weapon. It can do lots of damage and hurts your economy, but you can keep your planets if you have a starbase in orbit with the Axillary Government upgrade (or an equvivelent upgrade for nonTEC factions). As soon as you get the alert that a TEC player is building a super weapon, stop everything you're building and start building starbases on your important planets with this upgrade.

April 9, 2012 5:28:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you're also TEC you can get planetary shields, when upgraded it reduces the Novalith's damage from 3500 to 750. This along with disaster recovery can be a cheaper more proactive method if it isn't dozens of warheads being shot. If you are the advent trying to turtle the above method (starbase + government) is really your only choice if not going on the offensive and taking out the cannons yourself.

April 9, 2012 6:05:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm tired of these things, to be honest. I was just playing a game vs a single AI in Diplomacy on Orion's Belt. The AI out-expanded me by throwing pirate missions at me. Every two minutes I was defending myself from pirates. On top of that, I was getting hit by long range guns several times a minute. This was a Normal AI.

I guess that going against two or three is easier because they're fighting one another--not just you.

April 9, 2012 6:07:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also, you should be able to shut these things off.

April 9, 2012 6:19:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Auxiliary government keeps you from losing the planet, but there really need to be more counters to the population damage.  In particular the Advent rebels need something as novaliths can fairly easily diffuse Wail of the Fallen, which is arguably the rebel advent's single strongest and most game-changing technology.

Even for everyone else, novaliths can fairly easily and quickly cut the income of high economy worlds dramatically, really putting the hurt on the target's economy.  And there's not a damn thing the other player can really do to prevent this.  Oh they could attack sure, but fighting the TEC loyals on home ground sounds like a rather dangerous proposition, especially for the Advent who has no real answer to disruption matrix on the TLT even on neutral ground.

April 9, 2012 6:20:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Leuthesius,
Orion's Belt

April 9, 2012 7:19:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Keep scouting and taking out the research stations.  They can't build them if they lose their tech.  You can throw SWAT teams at them with anti-fighter, shield restore and torpedo ships.  Later in the game it's kind of fun to see how small a SWAT team it takes to achieve your goals.  Sometimes comp-stomping is too predictable but you can put artificial limits on yourself that make it an interesting problem.   If that fails send in the Borg!     (Sacrifice of Angels Mod is awesome!!!)

April 9, 2012 11:17:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also, I should point out I'm playing the distant stars mod. Pirates arent a few frigates for me. They are a minimum of five capital ships. I should have mentioned that.

April 10, 2012 1:44:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok Thanks for the answers.

I really think now that the game it way to hard for new players.

I did all the games vs. a easy AI. I could already build starbases and in the last game I had already two at my border systems but I haven’t researched the Auxiliary government. I already had some shield generators around the planet but this doesn’t helps at all.

How cheap are these Novalith canons? And how it the ai able to fire constantly these thing on my planets??

In the first to games I was completely busy with holding of the pirates. In my last game I was so happy that I could block the pirates in one system but this costs me nearly every resource in my empire.

I was also able to hold off the ai. I thought now I got it! And then the ai was shooting me down with this Novalith cannons!

This is really frustrating! And remember I'm playing vs. a easy ai!

As I read RedDwarf999's post I was wondering. I'm just able to build one big ship and some frigs at the beginning but I had never enough ships to do some damage to my opponent. I build some scout frigs to see what the ai is doing but the frig never got through one enemy system in one piece.

It would be nice to have a better tutorial how all the pieces play together and what’s important to research.

Also an optical feedback of the game events would be nice because I'm not playing all the time with audio and the tutorial doesn't tell me to listing during the game.

Ok, I will give it a new try and start to build starbases at the beginning...

However I like the community here. no posts how bad I am only helpful posts!

Thanks allot!

April 10, 2012 1:51:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Cube1701,
How cheap are these Novalith canons? And how it the ai able to fire constantly these thing on my planets??

They're fairly expensive, but the new TEC loyalist faction can get them a bit easier and cheaper. I think the real problem is the AI isn't very competent at this stage in the beta, so one of the only things it can do effectively is spam super weapons.

I made a map for the last version of the beta that allowed new players to play the game without any interference from the AI (sort of a sandbox game) where they could expand and experiment at their leisure. Really Sins has enough of a learning curve that no reasonable amount of tutorials will help, but I think an official sort of open tutorial like I made would help a lot. If you're interested I can update it.

April 10, 2012 1:58:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
I made a map for the last version of the beta that allowed new players to play the game without any interference from the AI (sort of a sandbox game) where they could expand and experiment at their leisure. Really Sins has enough of a learning curve that no reasonable amount of tutorials will help, but I think an official sort of open tutorial like I made would help a lot. If you're interested I can update it.

Sounds interesting. Would be nice if you could update it for the recent beta.

April 10, 2012 7:06:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I suggested this earlier and now again:

Please add a counter-super-weapon -weapon to shoot down novalith (etc). attacks or add some other means to weaken them (range, any1?)

April 10, 2012 7:57:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do agree with Marsujenherra, Add a counter weapon for the Super Weapon, like the Anti-Nuke in Supreme Commander, so for instance be able to build only (1) 'Anti-Superweapon' on only one planet were you have to pay for it to shoot 'at a cost of credits', give the player some MM (Micro-Management) to do, so upon an enemy shooting his SuperWeapon at you, you select your 'Anti-Superweapon' and click 'Intercept Superweapon' or something. Ofcourse give it a cooldown so you can't spam it.

Just a suggestion but we need something to stop this Superweapon spam that the AI more or less does every match.

'Coming from a 10 player match with that annoying 'A powerfull surge has been detected' getting spammed every 2-3 minutes.'

April 10, 2012 12:09:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you are advent you can alos get hardened cities it helps a little bit.

April 10, 2012 1:43:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting MayallCommunion,
an enemy shooting his SuperWeapon at you, you select your 'Anti-Superweapon' and click 'Intercept Superweapon' or something. Ofcourse

not really.  Auxiliary government can be used to make the planet damage not an issue.  The bigger issue is the unavoidable population damage & economy debuff gutting the economy of that world.

And the planets you're least likely to get auxiliary government on(small worlds such as asteroids & moons) can't upgrade their health above 2500, meaning that hardened cities will do nothing to save them from the Novalith cannon's 3500 damage(hardened cities would have to mitigate by about 30% reduction to save them).

In fact for the advent the issue primarily IS that hardened cities doesn't from any real sort of counter.  At least the TEC have shield generators which can protect against a single novalith shot fairly well.  The Vasari Loyalists will likely have the best counter(they can move income & population to their capital ships and end up abandoning worls anyway), but I suspect the vasari Rebels will have as much trouble mitigating novaliths as the advent.

April 10, 2012 5:42:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Cube1701,
Sounds interesting. Would be nice if you could update it for the recent beta.

Its now available, though its more a revision than an update. Its now much larger, and gives you a chance to fight against pretty much every ship in the game if you explore it long enough. Even veterans might find it fun to get to the end for the final showdown fighting all six titans.

April 12, 2012 9:16:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@GeoFan77 Thanks I will test it.

One thought, I think it would help if you would need some kind of a scout as a target painter for some time and only after some time (eg. 2mins) you can fire the novalith at the planet. So you may have a Chance to hide a Scout in the System when it’s not that advanced or you can use it during an attack with your fleet. This would make the use of the novalith much harder. And it would make the gun not completely useless when you have anti novalith systems.

April 12, 2012 9:33:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree, the Current Novalith can hit any planet you've ever scouted, but it should be able to only hit a planet that has been recently scouted that has an active sensor in it's well.  this would make defending planets away from the front line easier since a scout would have to get by all your defenses to plant an orb there.

April 13, 2012 3:16:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there any hope that the devs will listen??

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001141   Page Render Time: