Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Next Patch

By on April 19, 2012 12:24:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cbray

Join Date 01/2012
+10

Since many of the changes we make during the beta process lead to save games being incompatible with new versions, we're going to start giving a bit more warning as to when a new one comes out.  We estimate the a next patch will go live Tuesday, April 24th.  We can't be 100% certain of this date until internal testing is complete, so don't hold us to it

On an unrelated note, I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who's participated in the beta test, and especially those who have posted detailed information about bugs and gameplay feedback.  The quality of discourse in the Sins community is soooo much better than pretty much anywhere else on the internet. You're helping us enormously in making Sins: Rebellion the best Sins game yet!

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 19, 2012 1:22:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Will this be Beta 3 or 2b?

April 19, 2012 1:29:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And will it contain the Vasari?

April 19, 2012 1:43:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I want Vasari Favorite race evah!

They're so alien and 'evil' and yet so sympathetic too!

April 19, 2012 1:50:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you want to finish or replay saved games make sure to turn off the automatic updates in Steam.

April 19, 2012 2:43:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There was a month in between beta 1 and 2 I thought. This leads me to believe we have maybe another week after the patch on the 24th?

April 19, 2012 3:01:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It will be a patch with stability fixes, performance improvements, gameplay bug fixes, and gameplay balancing.  Exact change log won't be available until release.

Also, while it is possible to turn off auto-updates in Steam, we highly discourage it as any feedback is 'tainted' by the version being out of date.

April 19, 2012 3:32:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting cbray,
It will be a patch with stability fixes, performance improvements, gameplay bug fixes, and gameplay balancing.  Exact change log won't be available until release.

Also, while it is possible to turn off auto-updates in Steam, we highly discourage it as any feedback is 'tainted' by the version being out of date.

Lol damage managment for the post above? Good point though.

April 19, 2012 3:44:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

AI fixes? Frigates and no more armistice spam? D:

April 19, 2012 6:04:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting cbray,
Too true.   Just let go of those old saved games.  The new saved games are calling you.

April 19, 2012 6:07:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting scp121,
more armistice spam? D:

Armistice AI spam, like the Novaliths this was more of an AI issue than the ability being OP, so I hope they don't nerf the ability.

April 19, 2012 7:08:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Quoting scp121, reply 8more armistice spam? D:

Armistice AI spam, like the Novaliths this was more of an AI issue than the ability being OP, so I hope they don't nerf the ability.

I know, I just want to fight TEC ;_;

April 19, 2012 7:36:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting cbray,
It will be a patch with stability fixes, performance improvements

I really appreciate these two improvements. Thank you all the hard-working guys!

April 20, 2012 6:22:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When can we expect to see Vasari? Personally I will always play TEC, though it would be nice to have more variety in challenges.

April 22, 2012 5:20:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting cbray,

Here is hoping that the c++ run time errors I have been having will go bye bye with this patch.

and also...

can't wait for Vasari.

April 22, 2012 5:56:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am wondering if the AI is going to be sorted out in patches which are close?

I've played a number of test games against hard AI where their ability to build fleets seemed entirely broken. I watched some replays and specified different AI types to find different results.

Economy AI - these are fun to play against. They consistently build fleets with a decent mix of frigates and capital ships. I end up fighting against them first as they have provided a half decent challenge.

Defensive AI - they do what they say on the tin. No fun to play against, they don't attack or pretty much do anything all game except research and build a shed load of defenses that do not stand up to a fleet. If they are going to play so defensively, they need a decent fleet in there to keep things interesting.

Research AI - very frustrating. They seem to think they can play without frigates and wont attack until they have 16 Capital ships and a Titan. They play the same as Defensive effectively.

Aggressive AI - bizarrely, they play the same as Research AI. No frigates past very early game and wont attack until they have many Capital ships and a titan. Fodder.

Looking at replays, nearly every AI seems to research the 4 titan levels as the highest priority. They completely ignore some of the most important early techs. Most AI seem to research higher level ships very early on and don't priorities building early level ships. If I was aggressive enough, I could end every game early (but that's no fun as I want to play with the toys later on and see how they work).

This is how I think the AI should play:

Economy AI - best mix of low and medium level techs/ships, expansion should be level and never leave them over stretched. They should play like me basically!

Aggressive AI - they need frigates, and lots of them. I don't want to see highly upgrade Star-bases at the expense of actual fleets that are harassing and trying to expand quickly.

Defensive AI - focus on getting out Star-bases quickly at key choke points while mining the heck out of their systems is fine. They need to focus on getting defensive fleets in place though. Without ships to protect their defenses, there is no point.

Research AI - it is okay for them to tech up quickly like they do now. They do need to get a decent quantity of ships out though. I would expect these guys to try and get a Titan out quicker as that is the 'pinnacle' of ship design.

Sorry if this has been covered in depth elsewhere but I haven't read the forums as extensively as I would like. Hopefully the feedback will be helpful.

April 22, 2012 6:36:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When do we get the Vasari? It's one month left to properly balance the classes before release...

April 23, 2012 9:49:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

angryandroid - thanks for the info.  We're definitely looking into these issues, including the early researching of Titan tech.

April 23, 2012 11:22:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting gamer_ffa,
When do we get the Vasari? It's one month left to properly balance the classes before release...

+1

April 23, 2012 11:51:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm guessing sometime in may.

Just my guess though :/

April 23, 2012 12:59:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting cbray,
angryandroid - thanks for the info.  We're definitely looking into these issues, including the early researching of Titan tech.

Dont change the AI too much. Currently certain vicious ai can be hard to kill.  Their many cap plus titan combo is deadly along with constant armistice.  You have to be creative to kill them.

April 23, 2012 1:11:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting cbray,
angryandroid - thanks for the info. We're definitely looking into these issues, including the early researching of Titan tech.

Thanks for the update cbray!

With the upcoming release of the next patch for the beta, is there a general 'scope' or 'direction' that the design team is wanting to head for (how powerful ships are / how soon they can get ships out out / targeted ideal game settings / what are the roles of the titans)? Is the intent that the game revolves around the Titans (if you don't have one or lose one you're likely in trouble) or is it supposed to be more focused on balanced fleet composition where Titans are not necessarily needed in order to win? Is the ideal 'time to complete a game' going to stay the same as Trinity / Diplomacy or is it being sped up with game mechanics and ship play styles to attract more of the WC3, SC2, & C&C crowds?

If we better understand the scope and direction of the beta we can better tailor our feedback toward those goals instead of fighting amongst ourselves on the forum boards on which way the game should go.

+1 for the information so far!!! Thanks!

April 23, 2012 3:52:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree with angryandroid but with economy AI i don't. Sometimes yes, they get a big army with frigates, cruisers ... but most of the time the economy AI don't get more than 5 frigates or cruisers and build only capital ships and Titan. And sometimes i have the impression that AI get frigates but after a certain time of game. And when they are destroyed ---> no frigates or cruisers anymore.

April 23, 2012 3:57:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I haven't noticed any AI building anything but capitals after some time even on the highest difficulty level. The AI is no challenge at all as of now.

April 23, 2012 5:10:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting cbray,

Cool, thanks for the update

Nicos78, I know what you mean. I've had a few dud Economy AI's as well that do exactly what you describe. More times than not however, they have seemed akin to Sins of old that I remember. Admittedly, I haven't tried vicious AI yet but plan to play more over the next couple of days.

April 23, 2012 6:30:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Raketensegler80,
I haven't noticed any AI building anything but capitals after some time even on the highest difficulty level. The AI is no challenge at all as of now.

7 vicious AI locked teams against you is pretty hard. Was a cake walk in trinity but I havent beaten 7

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001390   Page Render Time: