Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Limit number of frigates per type.

By on April 20, 2012 5:28:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

trackpads

Join Date 05/2006

I have noticed, and it so annoying that once the computer or any other player creates a fleet with about 200 frigates then nothing will stop them.  The problem is that with say, 200 illuminators or any other small vessel is that the starbase or anything else can only attack a certain number of targets, no where near close to 200.  Which means that a maxed out starbase can be gutted in less time than it takes to lose a single frigate. 

There should be some sort of cap per type.  I would say 50 at most.  Otherwise it makes the end game a fleet chasing exercise.

Thanks again and I am sorry if this has already been addressed.

-Jason

Locked Post 89 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 20, 2012 5:44:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

200 illums, or 50 illums, 50 heavies, 50 flacks, and 50 lights. doenst change anything as far as sniping a starbase. Expecially if you throw in enough advent corvettes to make that starbase deal 1/2 damage.

bad idea. horrible. people can use their fleet supply however they want. but making only one unit means they kinda tend to leave themselves to be able to be hard countered.

April 20, 2012 6:06:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I hate this idea. Don't like being hit by 100 long-range frigates? Then build your own 100 long-range frigates. Nothing is stopping you. Build a bunch of strike craft carriers. There are ways to answer spamming of one unit type. I tend to roll with balanced fleets that don't have issues dealing with such large numbers of long-range frigates or other frigates.

April 20, 2012 6:20:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow. First limit the number of super weapons and now limit the type of units?

They do limit the number by requiring fleet upgrades and a variance in supply cost per type of ship

I suspect the next request will be to limit the number of trade ports or culture towers and even factories

April 20, 2012 6:45:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That goes against the principle of having an RTS, this would be a bad idea.

April 20, 2012 7:17:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The problem is that with say, 200 illuminators or any other small vessel is that the starbase or anything else can only attack a certain number of targets, no where near close to 200

I don't understand why it's a problem that any single unit (like a Starbase) is unable to keep 200 targets at bay by itself.  If a fleet of 200 units (mixed or otherwise) jumps onto one of your assets and you had no idea it was coming, then yes, you've lost that asset.  Don't let that happen.  Scout (it's cheap).  Use your own fleet.  If you can't muster a counter, then you've been outplayed.

This isn't to say that there aren't potential balance issues but defenses being unable to wipe a fleet on their own isn't one of them.

April 20, 2012 7:42:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

TEC have great counter to that - RED BUTTON

Advent have great counter to that - METEOR SHOVER

Vasari have great counter to that SUBVERTERS + OVERSEERS

April 20, 2012 8:33:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh yes, let's limit the number of ships so everyone is forced to build the same number of the same ships. And lets remove Advent and Vasari, they are too different. Oh, and the TEC rebels, too. They are also too different. If everyone has the same number of ships with the same attributes then it'll be fair!

LRM spam can be countered by support carriers, Dunovs or Progenitors prolong the life of your structures and defensive fleet. If you know how to knock out one-unit spam the enemy just ends up feeding your capships.

April 20, 2012 9:14:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No way, that is bad to limited, and less replay value, it's better let everyone want than limited, if limited, it's so meaningless to had same fleet and same bored, it's more fun if unlimited, many diffent way, than same way.

April 20, 2012 9:16:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

One, very blood-thirsty level 6 Marza in the middle of that swarm would be the most epic thing ever.

If it could survive the first few volleys then then it wouldn't just be like a wolf among chickens... more like space guinea pigs in a giant industrial space blender. 

I've seen it done in smaller numbers with Missile Barrage and how it eats them alive, but, 100 packed into a small area would be worth filming,. 

April 20, 2012 11:40:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another reason why limiting ships is because players with less military labs (especially really early in the game) are only able to build one or two types of frigates. If they could only build so many of those, they never get a chance to expand and claim new territory.

April 20, 2012 11:47:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

trackpad im not impressed--please think things through. 

April 21, 2012 12:03:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lol you know I saw another post by someone from the super weapon post talking about how someone was gonna bring this up after we started down that path with the SW. lols

April 21, 2012 7:08:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh, and players should be unable to have so many planets. That's totally unfair. People are just spamming mass planets and have so much cash.

Limit planets per player to 2, ok?

April 21, 2012 11:12:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting rowanlad,
One, very blood-thirsty level 6 Marza in the middle of that swarm would be the most epic thing ever.

Try a lvl 8 Marza. Increase in damage and waves.

April 21, 2012 1:24:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ryat,
Quoting rowanlad, reply 9One, very blood-thirsty level 6 Marza in the middle of that swarm would be the most epic thing ever.

Try a lvl 8 Marza. Increase in damage and waves.
Easy way to counter a Marza spamming a Missile Barrage is by using an Ion Bolt on them. That really crashes the party.

April 21, 2012 3:53:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,
Easy way to counter a Marza spamming a Missile Barrage is by using an Ion Bolt on them. That really crashes the party.

Thanks for crashing the epic party.

April 21, 2012 8:14:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT YOUR GAME ON STEAM!

April 21, 2012 8:16:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT YOUR GAME ON STEAM!

I will slap you with a trout

*Throws white glove on the ground*

April 21, 2012 8:19:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting MayallCommunion,
Quoting SemazRalan, reply 17THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT YOUR GAME ON STEAM!

I will slap you with a trout

*Throws white glove on the ground*

....but you can slap him with your mind?

April 21, 2012 8:55:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pat_22_,

need a halycon to do the mental bitch slap.

April 21, 2012 9:16:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pbhead,
Quoting Pat_22_, reply 19

need a halycon to do the mental bitch slap.

Technically, any single Advent can be qualified to give just one mental bitch slap to a person. Doing it to a swarm of strike craft in outer space over great distances requires many Advent working toghether from the Halcyon.

April 21, 2012 9:17:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, wow, love the reactions.  Can we discuss not flame?

1.  I don't play against other players, dont have the time to do online so all I do is play against the computer.  When the computer swarms you with 100+ smaller ships it isnt realistic or fun at all.  I am not in it for a fast paced shooter with hundreds of ships blasting each other while I stare at the screen in tactical view. 

2.  Why not?  Seriously if its an option for some of us then why would it effect you?  Just like limiting the superweapons with a pregame switch.  If its an option then why in the hell would anyone care?  If you dont like it, dont use it.  However having no option means that instead of a strategy game we end up playing a shooter.  If I wanted that I would play gratuitous space battles or something else mindless.

3.  We already limit the number of ships.  Following some of the logic here means that the fleet cap itself is a bad idea.  why cant we have 1000's of ships then?  Exactly, its a strategy 4x, not just a shooter.

Sins is great, it just needs more depth and more ability to create the game you want to play. 

I have played everything since the original Stars!, MOO and galciv but Sins is a lot closer to what I see as the optimum of the genre.  Think Enders game, not command and conquer.  More detailed planetary systems, maybe some crew heroes and the ability to craft a game to your individual liking and its replay value is extended beyond the already predictable start - struggle and overwhelming march to the end that it has now.

-Jason

April 21, 2012 9:22:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I suppose that is true. But I figured I needed some work out time. This trout is really heavy...

April 21, 2012 9:29:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why dont you just mod the fleet supply to be really really low? that will make every single ship very special and important.

I always wanted to make a mod like that, where even losing a single cobalt would be about as painful as losing a lv 1 capital ship is now.

April 21, 2012 9:32:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting MayallCommunion,
I suppose that is true. But I figured I needed some work out time. This trout is really heavy...

I see. Plus there's the comical and insulting side of being slapped by a trout as opposed to an awesome psychic force.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time: