Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Limit number of frigates per type.

By on April 20, 2012 5:28:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

trackpads

Join Date 05/2006

I have noticed, and it so annoying that once the computer or any other player creates a fleet with about 200 frigates then nothing will stop them.  The problem is that with say, 200 illuminators or any other small vessel is that the starbase or anything else can only attack a certain number of targets, no where near close to 200.  Which means that a maxed out starbase can be gutted in less time than it takes to lose a single frigate. 

There should be some sort of cap per type.  I would say 50 at most.  Otherwise it makes the end game a fleet chasing exercise.

Thanks again and I am sorry if this has already been addressed.

-Jason

Locked Post 89 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 2, 2012 3:55:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The reason people think this is ridiculous is because it cuts into the heart of the game. If you mean limit # of each ship (separate caps per ship type), fleet composition is absolutely vital to the strategy of this game. The purpose of fleet cap is to tie fleet strength to economic power, while allowing full control over what your fleet consists of.
If you just want less ships total, well, that's very easy to mod. Hell, there's an option that lowers fleet cap already in the game.

Since you don't play multiplayer (I don't either, to be honest), your best bet to fix something minor is to do it yourself. For example, I hate how planet exploration is practically worthless, and artifacts don't come up nearly often enough. So I mod out maps to have much higher rates of artifacts and resources- makes for more varied and interesting planets.

In this case, what you need to work on is changing fleet capacities- lower the base values/research boosts, and possibly increase the cap cost of all the "small" frigates- this will encourage using more powerful frigates, since you'll get more bank for your cap.

As for swarms being a problem- that's a tactical issue. It IS solvable, and it doesn't turn the game into a "shooter". Look around online for guides, don't forget to retreat to more advantageous positions, make use of abilities. Loosing a base or two happens.

Best of luck to your AI stomping!

October 1, 2012 4:46:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Quoting trackpads, reply 49Lastly, kids, if you dont want to read the thread then why post?  Are you acting a little childish and self serving?  "I dont like this thread but I am going to post anyway".

Fine, I'll play your game...

The problem is that with say, 200 illuminators or any other small vessel is that the starbase or anything else can only attack a certain number of targets, no where near close to 200.  Which means that a maxed out starbase can be gutted in less time than it takes to lose a single frigate. 

Let us grant that this is actually a problem, and specifically, that the reason SBs are so weak is that people can build too many frigates...

There should be some sort of cap per type.  I would say 50 at most.  Otherwise it makes the end game a fleet chasing exercise.

How does a cap per type help the situation at all?  For simplicity, let's just assume all ships are comparable on a per ship basis (ie one LF is equivalent to one HC in terms of resiliency/firepower)...now pick a number, any number...let's just say 200....

So at 200 frigates, your fleet can pretty much pop an SB almost instantly...how does limiting the cap per type change that??? So instead of having 200 LRFs, I have 50 HCs, 50 LFs, 50 Carriers (with 100 bombers), and 50 LRFs...I still have 200 ships!!!  The SB is still going to be destroyed very quickly and still have the same targeting limitations...

Your proposed solution does not even remotely address your stated problem...furthermore, your stated problem (that SBs are weak to late game fleets) isn't even a problem in the first place (if SBs were powerful enough to take on entire late game fleets, games would never finish)...

I'm not going to (and haven't) insult you or tell you you're dumb....I'm simply going to say that I think your logic here is fundamentally flawed...this thread was completely butchered and rendered pointless when the topic turned to first person shooters vs. RTS games like Sins, and I have no regrets in sharing my observations...

You know, haven't read this in a while.

Wow, kids, really?  If you don't like the idea then why spend a moronic amount of time replying?

Ah that's right, if we don't like an idea we should just continue to insult the poster.  Impressive...

-Jason

October 1, 2012 5:16:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

MONSTROUS NECRO FROM HELL!!!

October 1, 2012 5:58:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,
MONSTROUS NECRO FROM HELL!!!

We've seen much worse recently, but yes.

October 5, 2012 8:03:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Senza32,

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius, reply 78MONSTROUS NECRO FROM HELL!!!

We've seen much worse recently, but yes.

But resurrecting a semi-flame war is just bad. Think a smaller variant of the troll list getting raised from the dead.

October 6, 2012 2:59:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SOASE is not a game of strict fleet warfare. You can make maps where players start with a fleet of a set composition by way of scenario templates, labs and resources galore for that "Fleet Warfare" mode, but the game isn't made for it.

If you're going to necro, at least provide the brains.

October 6, 2012 7:30:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

2 things

1 all is fair in love and war, meaning ALL you or your enemy dose is FAIR. if your getting killed....meh try again and come up with new battle plan. 100 illuminators killing a SB? big freaking deal, come back whining when you get a titan and 2 orkies jumping into the same grav well during the same battle.

2 what the flying frak is a RTS Shooter? 

October 6, 2012 7:43:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

October 6, 2012 9:08:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm sorry did someone say something? I wasn't paying attention.

besides quick thing. 

huh the AI spams ship classes? i admit sometimes their fleet has a few more of one type than another but it always seemed kinda balanced to me. and well skilled at running away.

October 6, 2012 10:13:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is 100% troll bait...

September 18, 2014 2:48:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What a fantastic idea! Should limit the OPness of flak spamming.

September 18, 2014 9:50:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

This is 100% troll bait...

Quoting RoaringWarren,

What a fantastic idea! Should limit the OPness of flak spamming.

And, a troll has taken the bait.

September 18, 2014 12:11:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

...Only took him 2 years.

September 18, 2014 8:40:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How did I know Sinkillr was the one who necroed this so he could get some karma.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time: