The problem is quantity. In a game such like WarCraft 3 it is much easier to resolve the problem, and even in StarCraft it is still OK. But in Sins, in such a relatively larger scale of battle, it will be either overpowered in swarm or in single.
And it is also similar in the reality, just to remind the history of WWII.
To solve such a problem, I think the solutions may include:
- all units require supplies to operation. And the resupply capacity of any single planet is limited. (But such design will of course ruins any RTS games. It is only appropriate for turn based SLG.)
- decrease the defense of units if they are massed in swarm, and decrease the dodge: due to the limit of on-field C4IS ability, and it is difficult to cooperate so many units in the battlefield. (This will still greatly change the mechanics. And it is also redundant considering the existing mitigation system.)
- if only concerns the bomber problems, introduce a third strikecraft "interceptor", with low maneuvability (low dodge rate and low turn rate), high linear accelerate rate, longer shoot range than bombers, and has extra damage to the bombers. (But it is really a disaster to balance even more unit types.)
- set the fighters and flaks as using different weapons: to ship, no change; to SCs only, use explosive salvos. (The "first-kicking-everyone's-ass-to-hell-attack-wave" problem is still there.)
- decrease the supply limit directly. (Ohhhhhhhh nooooooooooooo! I swear I will immediately create my own mod if they really do this!)
So currently I have no idea about the problem.