Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Pbhead is psychic?

By on May 3, 2012 4:41:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

TheEvidence

Join Date 01/2010
+3

pbHead said in the Adjudicator balance thread:

"...I feel, that if I were to change something within the box, it would be reducing their target count and upping their damage to compensate. reducing the target count to 4, and setting the damage to 75, would give adjunctators a single target dps of 37.5. At max upgrades, this almost ties ogrov's single target max upgraded dps, (~56 vs 58.5) they would still be behind on a per supply basis, so thats ok."

In the 0.90 patch:

"Solanus Adjudicator damage increased from 60 to 70; Targets per Bank reduced from 5 to 4."

That's a prediction with ~97% accuracy. 

If I buy him a ticket to Vegas do you think he'll split the winnings with me?

Locked Post 20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 3, 2012 4:44:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Only "nearly".  Pssssh!  I am psychic.

May 3, 2012 6:28:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alternate Theory: One of the devs mentioned they take the good ideas on the forum then print them out and discuss them.

May 3, 2012 6:31:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That isn't the first time that the devs have inserted user feedback into the game after minor tweaks.  Take the Antorak's Phase Out Hull dealing damage to shields/healing shields.  That was my idea.

They do actually listen to us. 

May 3, 2012 6:51:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's simple--they are stealing all my mod ideas.

May 3, 2012 7:43:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
It's simple--they are stealing all my mod ideas.

Psh!!!! You do realize that if this is the case, then they are 'making your mod' for you? 

May 3, 2012 8:32:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hmm--yet it lacks my models, ideas and flair.  Apparently my greatness is lost in translation.  Infidels!

May 3, 2012 9:07:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also this isn't the first time they've buffed the Adjucator by reducing the target count and increasing the damage.

It's a pretty clear solution whent he adjucator's chief problem is that it's only strength(a ton of targets) is impractical being that your rarely have more then 2-3 structure targets clustered together you actually care about destroying in a given situation.

Not to say Phb isn't psychic *puts on tin-foil hat*, but I'm not sure I'd call this one supporting evidence- the tricky mindfreak has done a pretty good job of erasing his trail.... Also on this topic I demand a forum emoticon wearing a tin-foil hat!

May 4, 2012 6:41:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
Take the Antorak's Phase Out Hull dealing damage to shields/healing shields.
Thats stuff still doesn't seem to work at all though. At least for me it has never healed any shields on friendly ships and never actually damaged enemy ships at all so far. Playing with that Capital ship since Vanilla Sins...

May 4, 2012 1:31:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,
Thats stuff still doesn't seem to work at all though. At least for me it has never healed any shields on friendly ships and never actually damaged enemy ships at all so far. Playing with that Capital ship since Vanilla Sins...

Umm..  It does..  It's a small amount so you may not notice it a whole lot, but in the mod that I play with by default, I've got it dealing/healing 200/300/400 which is certainly noticeable.  It's always worked for me.  I can try a quick test though..

*opens up dev*

Yep, it works.  It just performs the heal at the end, so you must have just not noticed.

May 4, 2012 1:40:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You guys crack me up.

May 4, 2012 2:14:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pbhead does not have a crystal ball nor is he some sort of genetically gifted individual.

From what i know hes many things more than a fortune teller:

His search for buff and nerfs is determined by what makes him happy-not for the benefit of the community. An answer may sound right but it does not exactly mean the change is warranted.

Remember that malice works with structures and Energy amplify aura boosts the adjusticators dps. Do the maths and you have the most powerful mass Structure busting unit esp once you've researched all the plasma upgrades.

Ever seen 5 adjusticators attack with highest researchable plasma rate of fire...with malice

However:

I for one asked for the illum front beam buff and got it back in diplomacy--

Same could be said for so many people-e.g the revelations guidance is now buffed up thanks to a recent thread by others.

Now we could argue since these 3 units are similar: Defense vessels, Adjusticators and Illums in terms of weapons banks then is it not safe to ask for the defense vessel to have a stronger front laser cannon to follow the pattern of buffs?

May 4, 2012 3:16:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, the Defense Vessel is an anti-SC ship, so I don't think a buff to it's forward bank is really necessary.

May 4, 2012 6:51:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Only "nearly".  Pssssh!  I am psychic.

I knew you were going to say that 

Not to diminish this victory, but it was a solution that didn't hurt to throw out there and try. We all had discussions about how to go about making the ship more useful, and while I'm still partial to some of my solutions, I acknowledge that they are far more radical in terms of implementation.

I feel that this might not be the final solution, but it's a step in the right direction, and some improvement is better than none. I do not pretend to hold this as my final judgement though, as I have yet to thoroughly test the Adjudicator and have not asked pbhead what I think about it a month from now...
May 4, 2012 8:43:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Special Thanks

Michael 'Pbhead' Kidd
Michael 'Zoomba' Crassweller
Michael 'Dash' Emmerd
Randy 'ZombieRus5' Laffoon
David 'Sinperium' North
Ryan 'kyogre12' Bull
John 'Thrawn2787' Plaisted
Alex 'Annatar' Veltchev
Jim 'Major Stress' Morgan
Ron Lugge
Reuben 'boshimi336' Robie

Got a lot of "psychics" there.

May 5, 2012 1:12:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pbhead Salutes

I do a lot of math when it comes to these things. A lot of forum reading too.

and as far as the maths with malice? 30% of 60 on 5 buildings = 30% of 75 on 4 buildings... except your more likely to get all 4 of the buildings in on the malice if it is a low level progen. ... 70 on 4 buildings is a little bit less obviously.

And. if you are wasting antimatter on malicing buildings, and 90 fleet supply on anti-building ships... and you have max plasma ungrades... Chances are you prolly already won. Or your enemy is a turtlefest like no other... in which case you prolly already won.

Now. if you want psychic... hmm...

I predict that... The Vasari will become a playable race... on or before 6-12-12

ok, that was worthless. let me try again.

Ah.  Here we go.

Some submitted desync error info will soon bear fruit.  >:]

May 5, 2012 1:18:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

good... I'm hungry and have a taste for pears...

May 5, 2012 1:51:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Heh.

I seem to make something approaching that second face a lot when marking first year assignments.

"What is this I don't even...?!"

But yeah, you seem to have a solid grip on the way the devs approach these things. gg, pb!

May 5, 2012 7:57:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
Well, the Defense Vessel is an anti-SC ship, so I don't think a buff to it's forward bank is really necessary.

its labelled anti-sc but we all know it takes on all units- decimates lrm, siege,scouts and corvettes . kills every other unit type when in great numbers.

May 5, 2012 1:34:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
It just performs the heal at the end, so you must have just not noticed.
My God... I have always assumed the damaging / healing was an instant effect. I indeed never bothered glancing at changes to the hull and shield points when the abilities' primary effect ended. Thanks a lot for clearing that up! Now I might just use that ability more often from now on.

May 5, 2012 8:04:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz, reply 9It just performs the heal at the end, so you must have just not noticed.My God... I have always assumed the damaging / healing was an instant effect. I indeed never bothered glancing at changes to the hull and shield points when the abilities' primary effect ended. Thanks a lot for clearing that up! Now I might just use that ability more often from now on.

Nope.  It has to be at the end.  If you try doing it at the beginning, you'll notice that entityBoolModifiers (such as invulnerability) seem to have priority over InstantAction's, meaning that if you tried to do it at the beginning, it would do nothing because of invulnerability.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time: