Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Vasari first impression

By on May 16, 2012 12:09:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fyrstar2002

Join Date 03/2009
+8

Ugh.... can anyone say OMGOVERPOWERED!?!?!?!

Econ to beat TEC, unstoppable ships, why would you play anything else?

I ROLLED over the AI.  Didn't even try.  Me vs 3 UBER hard computers=roflstomp.

Locked Post 26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 16, 2012 1:43:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

were you rebel or loyalist? I went Loyalist and found the titan to be sub par compared to other titans.

May 16, 2012 8:31:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I went Loyalist

May 16, 2012 10:28:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What is your opinion on the Vorastra's combat abilities?

May 16, 2012 10:45:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just finished a game as the Vas Loyals last night. I thought the Vorastra was pretty good but definitely needs some work. The stacking passive is awesome now that its been fixed (up to 60% weapon cooldown buff at level 4 of the ability, splash damage, and a small constant incoming damage decrease). That said, other than the Maw (which still isnt working quite right) it has no offensive abilities. I dont think any of its current abilities should be replaced though. Honestly all I think it needs is an addition of an AOE damage effect to the in-well phase jump ability. Something like: ships/structures within a radius around the titans arrival point take 500, 750, 1000, 1250 damage upon the titans return to normal space and ships have their engines disabled for 4, 8, 12, 16 seconds. Plenty of ways to write that infocard too .

May 16, 2012 11:15:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That would make it very powerful indeed.  However, that's more powerful than chastic burst with more range, so I'd say maybe half that.

May 16, 2012 11:21:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
That would make it very powerful indeed.  However, that's more powerful than chastic burst with more range, so I'd say maybe half that.

True. The cooldown on the jump ability is a lot longer than for chastic burst though(iirc).

May 16, 2012 11:43:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I still don't think it justifies it.  Chastic Burst is dedicated offense.  MPJ in your idea would be offensive or maneuvering, so it should be weaker.

May 16, 2012 11:51:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fair enough. After a bit of thought (this is what i think about while im at work ) I'd rather have it do, as you said, half the damage I posted earlier (so maybe 225, 350, 475, 600) and give the titan a 10 second boost to turn rate. That way its useful when running away and when attacking stuff. Also, please please (devs) make the titan use regular wave cannons, not the pulse waves. Makes little sense that the titan cant make use of one of the Vas Loyals best unique techs.

May 16, 2012 12:08:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting JJBuck2,
Fair enough. After a bit of thought (this is what i think about while im at work ) I'd rather have it do, as you said, half the damage I posted earlier (so maybe 225, 350, 475, 600) and give the titan a 10 second boost to turn rate. That way its useful when running away and when attacking stuff. Also, please please (devs) make the titan use regular wave cannons, not the pulse waves. Makes little sense that the titan cant make use of one of the Vas Loyals best unique techs.

By regular wave cannons you mean those beams, fired by Kortul for example?  

May 16, 2012 12:15:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,
Quoting JJBuck2, reply 8Fair enough. After a bit of thought (this is what i think about while im at work ) I'd rather have it do, as you said, half the damage I posted earlier (so maybe 225, 350, 475, 600) and give the titan a 10 second boost to turn rate. That way its useful when running away and when attacking stuff. Also, please please (devs) make the titan use regular wave cannons, not the pulse waves. Makes little sense that the titan cant make use of one of the Vas Loyals best unique techs.

By regular wave cannons you mean those beams, fired by Kortul for example?  

Actually I meant like those that the Enforcers fire. The titan is using pulse wave cannons, similar (I think) to what one of the weapons on the Egg used to be. These 'wave' cannons arent affected by any research as far as I know and seem fairly weak .

May 16, 2012 12:26:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Only the Vorastras Pulse Guns (which don't fire forward) and Pulse Beams (it's AA guns) can be upgraded.  The majority of it's damage comes from the unupgradable Pulse Waves and Phase Cannons.

May 16, 2012 3:33:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

These are really minor concerns, but they are my first impression. As I mentioned in another topic, I didn't care for the voices. I like the tone, but not the raspy quality. Also, the ship design didn't grab me for either sub-faction. Not a fan of the SB either (Coridane takes cover as Vasari enthusiasts open fire). There were, however, things I did like (shouting over the gun fire).

I will enjoy the challenge of fighting the Vasari - especially with their cool ability to drain a planet of resources, or their ability to jump without a phase lane. Personally, as I told a friend of mine, I prefer the travel limitation inherent of TEC and Advent. While the Vasari's jump capability is awesome and will sometimes save the day, I like being limited because it's a greater challenge, forcing me to better manage controlled space. Plus I have to fight through several worlds to reach the capital instead of just jumping to the capital (using the Kostura). I will learn Vasari one day and, when I do, I will have to develop strategies that utilize that capability. For now though, as I try to become a better player, I want to start with traditional space travel.

Don't get me wrong, the game will still be a challenge to players who choose Vasari. It's just not my favorite thing about the Vasari. Still, it's pretty cool. Anyway, what bugged me were the little things - raspy voice overs and ship designs.

May 16, 2012 4:21:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Coridane,
These are really minor concerns, but they are my first impression. As I mentioned in another topic, I didn't care for the voices. I like the tone, but not the raspy quality. Also, the ship design didn't grab me for either sub-faction. Not a fan of the SB either (Coridane takes cover as Vasari enthusiasts open fire). There were, however, things I did like (shouting over the gun fire).

I will enjoy the challenge of fighting the Vasari - especially with their cool ability to drain a planet of resources, or their ability to jump without a phase lane. Personally, as I told a friend of mine, I prefer the travel limitation inherent of TEC and Advent. While the Vasari's jump capability is awesome and will sometimes save the day, I like being limited because it's a greater challenge, forcing me to better manage controlled space. Plus I have to fight through several worlds to reach the capital instead of just jumping to the capital (using the Kostura). I will learn Vasari one day and, when I do, I will have to develop strategies that utilize that capability. For now though, as I try to become a better player, I want to start with traditional space travel.

Don't get me wrong, the game will still be a challenge to players who choose Vasari. It's just not my favorite thing about the Vasari. Still, it's pretty cool. Anyway, what bugged me were the little things - raspy voice overs and ship designs.

Good for you.  Contrary to you, i enjoy the ability to go mobile and forget about planets and defenses immensely. It makes me think about Cylons and their Colony, when i first saw it, in the last Galactica episode, i thought automatically about Orkulus orbiting some Wormhole.... and now, it does get even better, i get Vorastra as my version of Cylon Colony! 

My ultimate wet plan is to scrap all my planets, move to a star, spawn several phase Stabilisers, build 4 Orkies there to protect those and lay ton of mines there. Then use those stabilisers to instantly replace my lost ships, as i would lay waste across enemy worlds with my uberfleet. And if something goes wrong, just spawn the stabiliser in enemy gravwell and then whoosh, jump the Titan/the fleet back to the safe place. 

May 16, 2012 4:28:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do get the feeling that stars will become a VL's best friend due to the ability to have four online Orkies simultaneously.

May 16, 2012 4:33:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,
Good for you. Contrary to you, i enjoy the ability to go mobile and forget about planets and defenses immensely.

When I originally replied to this, I misread. Yeah, some people are into that, which is good. When I learn Vasari, I might appreciate it more, but just not my thing right now. One day, I hope to be that guy who can set my race to random, but who knows - I might get good at all races/sub-factions, but deep down inside, be a TEC guy at heart.

May 16, 2012 4:50:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Amen to TEC

May 16, 2012 4:56:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Coridane,

Quoting Timmaigh, reply 13Good for you. Contrary to you, i enjoy the ability to go mobile and forget about planets and defenses immensely.

When I originally replied to this, I misread. Yeah, some people are into that, which is good. When I learn Vasari, I might appreciate it more, but just not my thing right now. One day, I hope to be that guy who can set my race to random, but who knows - I might get good at all races/sub-factions, but deep down inside, be a TEC guy at heart.

Yeah, the diversity is good. What you choose, is not the only thing, that defines you, the fact, that the others can and will choose something else is as important and makes things so much more fun.

May 16, 2012 5:00:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Absolutely!  Thats what makes sins so unique compared to the other games.

And then Distant Stars just increases that difference...

May 16, 2012 5:02:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
I do get the feeling that stars will become a VL's best friend due to the ability to have four online Orkies simultaneously.

vs 5 fully upgraded tech station in spider repair, with massive drone host... not sure...

May 16, 2012 5:04:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting crisaron,
vs 5 fully upgraded tech station in spider repair, with massive drone host... not sure...

What does that even mean?

May 16, 2012 5:27:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think crisaron is talkign about those four Orkies going up against 5 fully upgraded Advent stations with spider repair and a lot of drone hosts.

May 16, 2012 6:14:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What does spider repair refer to?

May 16, 2012 8:55:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
What does spider repair refer to?
Why, the spiders repairing the starbases of course!

May 16, 2012 9:13:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz, reply 22What does spider repair refer to?Why, the spiders repairing the starbases of course!

lol the first time I read through that, I thought you were serious.  Seriously though, what does it refer to?

May 16, 2012 9:28:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

365 years in ms paint.

The circles represent repair platforms, and the criss-crossing, "spiderweb" pattern, represent them repairing eachother.

Of course, since one target can't receive repairs from multiple bays, spider tank doesn't really apply for Sins.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time: