Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Ability Possibilities

By on May 22, 2012 10:54:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SequelFredLed

Join Date 05/2012
+1

Is it possible to make an ability that constructs other ships on a delay? How about an ability that gives a ship something like the novalith cannon? Or an ability that can be toggled on/off?

Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 22, 2012 10:58:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes.

May 22, 2012 11:09:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All of these are possible.  InstantActions are applied onDelay, so just set the delay.

The novalith shot is an ability that could be applied to any other unit.

Toggleable abilities already exist: Subjugating Assault and Charged Missiles.

May 23, 2012 1:22:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Sova's combat turret ability already does this...may not seem apparent since the ability spawns a turret, but in reality it is spawning a frigate (which happesn to have 0 engine speed and looks like a turret)...

The abilities used by things such as the TEC broadcast tower (for calling pirate ships) or the fleet beacon (Vasari's returning armada) may also be of interest in looking at...

May 23, 2012 7:44:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wonderful, that helps me out a lot. I didn't even know the broadcast tower had any abilities...huh.
I knew about the Sova's turret ability, but I didn't know if there were any limitations. Can you spawn capitalships as well? I would assume not. Considering there is only a "spawnfrigate" action.

May 23, 2012 8:24:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Strikecraft squadrons have their own special instant action (look at scramble bombers)...mines and SBs obviously have their own methods too...

Capital ships and Titans have to be spawned using something similar to the fleet beacon ability (Returning Armada)...Goa would know more about that...

May 23, 2012 8:33:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

http://code.google.com/p/soaseplugin/wiki/Ability

helped me alot..

its a list of all the things you can do, if they are Instant action, Entity mods, over times etc  you also get a list of all the Buffs and the correct Syntax for each

"an ability that can be toggled on/off?"  simply right clicking an auto cast ability in game toggles it on/off?

but if you want it on or off Via research or XP or... other things?

May 23, 2012 8:52:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting silencedhawk,
"an ability that can be toggled on/off?" simply right clicking an auto cast ability in game toggles it on/off?

I think he might have meant a toggle ability like charged missiles (on kanrak/sentinel) or resource focus....

May 23, 2012 10:25:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting silencedhawk,
http://code.google.com/p/soaseplugin/wiki/Ability

That site is awesome sauce. Who put that together?! 

Also, note the link you gave is for Diplomacy syntax.

The rebellion specific syntax is here:

http://code.google.com/p/soaseplugin/wiki/RebellionSyntax

May 23, 2012 12:13:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't have rebellion, I only have original sins right now because the gamestop app won't work on my pc. When is rebellion scheduled to be released?

Okay, so capital ship can be spawned through fleet beacon type abilities...very nice. What I was thinking of for the toggled ability would be a "shields up" type ability that is toggled on during combat, and off when out of combat.

May 23, 2012 12:33:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SequelFredLed,
I don't have rebellion, I only have original sins right now because the gamestop app won't work on my pc. When is rebellion scheduled to be released?

June 12th...beta can be entered at any time since then though...know that the expansions have added new modifers, ai use times, autocast conditions, etc. that you wouldn't be aware of if you just worked in original sins....

If you plan on getting rebellion, you might as well just get it now so you can see how entity files and the like work in rebellion....as far as modding is concerned, it will save you a lot of time going from one version of rebellion to another than going from original sins to rebellion....

May 23, 2012 12:36:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
June 12th

I thought it was the 10th?

May 23, 2012 1:12:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

12th...which is a tuesday (as usual, big day of the week for SD)...

May 23, 2012 2:15:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SequelFredLed,

June 12. If you got Rebellion now you would be using steam, not gamestop. Also there was a promotion that anyone who had any version of Sins got the $10 discount on Rebellion, if that's still going it might be your best chance to get it for a while. And you don't want to be modding original Sins, trust me.

Quoting Seleuceia,
Goa would know more about that...

Yeah. You can't spawn capitalships like frigates, as in they appear right next to the creator as with missile turrets, but you can have them warp into the planet like with returning armada. You must have the necessary fleet supply for it though. Capitalship slots are ignored currently in diplomacy but its now fixed in Rebellion (there is now an official ability that creates a capitalship).

May 28, 2012 10:49:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
s, as in they appear right next to the creator as with missile turrets, but you can have them warp into the planet like with returning armada.

You're talking Star Trek modding, Goa.  Sins doesn't use warp space.

We use phase space.

May 28, 2012 10:56:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ImperatorPavel,
You're talking Star Trek modding, Goa. Sins doesn't use warp.

We use phase space.

I've barely watched any star trek! Its just warp is easier to type...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: