Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Pathetic, FUBAR, Pitiful, Embarassing Multiplayer System. Good Job Stardock/Ironclad!

By on May 28, 2012 6:30:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nightraid3r

Join Date 04/2008
+20

You guys continue to outdo yourselves with each attempt, or rather lack there of, at making your signature game, Sins of a Solar Empire, have a respectable multiplayer system.  Not only have you failed to provide anything but a bare-bones system known notoriously as ICO, what actually is there is a complete piece of trash.  On the last 15 multiplayer games I have played in the latest Rebellion beta patch, 14 ended in minidumps, desyncs, or both.  You can do the math.

You continue to say that you "fix every minidump that is sent in" or that "desyncs are hard to track down", which are just pathetic excuses for what you know is a complete lack of attention to the multpilayer aspect of your game.  Even if you admit that you don't actually fix the problems, you will still fall back on, "well nobody plays multiplayer", and the question I have for you is, "can you blame them?".  It is simply unplayable, and disgusting.

Sins of a Solar Empire could be a true "Mona Lisa" of a game, but you guys are too busy taking turns deficating all over the metaphorical painting to the point that a boxed copy of the game would be better used as a paper weight, than taking up  space on a harddrive.

/rant

[DT]Radioactive

P.S. I've spent more than 4 years playing the Sins series, and bought each one at full price.  I only wish you would spend half the time I spend in game fixing  your bug-filled piece of junk, or give me my money back. 

Locked Post 64 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 29, 2012 10:34:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I myself have had my share on the beta as for the original sins. I have to agree with nightraider. From what i have played I can conclude that i dont see a good future for the MP in this game. The minidumps and desyncs are the worst i have ever seen in a game and it seems that the community barely gets through to the devs(balance). I have yet to experience a 3v3 without a dysnc in less than 10 min.. You can say im ranting but if you advertise your game can have up to 10 players against each other, i expect it to work.

I had high hopes for this game and paid for it. I hope that they can fix it before it launches, but somehow i dont see that happening...

May 29, 2012 11:15:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

May 29, 2012 11:17:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wait.....P.S. I've spent more than 4 years playing the Sins series, and bought each one at full price.  I only wish you would spend half the time I spend in game fixing  your bug-filled piece of junk, or give me my money back.

You do know you could have gotten a discount why pay more???????

LIMITED TIME OFFER! Pre-order Discount: Owners of any Sins of a Solar Empire game can now receive Rebellion with a $10 discount, just login to apply.

May 29, 2012 12:50:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting upsurper,
Wait.....P.S. I've spent more than 4 years playing the Sins series, and bought each one at full price.  I only wish you would spend half the time I spend in game fixing  your bug-filled piece of junk, or give me my money back.

You do know you could have gotten a discount why pay more???????

LIMITED TIME OFFER! Pre-order Discount: Owners of any Sins of a Solar Empire game can now receive Rebellion with a $10 discount, just login to apply.

We are all discussing, somewhat argumentatively, the over all issues with sins and what we each think about it. We couldn't give two shits if op was a troll. And even if this was one giant trollception between everyone what difference would it make.

But anyway, yes SC2 is a very good online game and thats why its so popular, but despite what some people say about it not being a 5 minute rush and click fest, yes it is. Don't get me wrong im a big fan of SC2, iv'e loved competitive rts's for years but MOST games end in 5-10 minutes. Now if you come up against a player which is of an almost identical skill level as you, then yes games can draw out for up to 30 minutes, as its the superior skill or hard counter that wins the game in the end. Mainly iv'e found you get games like that in silver and diamond.

But sins would be a very popular competitive MP game if they balanced it right. The feeling of out playing someone or having a tense, well played game is unbeatable and especially the SC2 community for instance love strategy, but they don't love dysnc, minidumps, or balance issues. If sins got balanced and became stable, it could seriously make for great single start competitive MP games.

May 29, 2012 1:09:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Valkyness,

Quoting Sinperium, reply 46Really? You shouldn't.  There are starving kids in Africa and ones being gunned down in Syria and people unjustly imprisoned for crimes they didn't commit--pity them.

That is possibly one of the most retarded examples I have seen on the forums.

It was sarcasm at his over the top "I pity you" drama.  Sarcasm is a form of wit smart people understand and other sorts of people don't get it.

Now continue the amusement.

May 29, 2012 1:40:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pbhead,
 The thing is, appeasing the 15 % will only help to improve the game for the 85%.

If you look at steam's # of players that played steam and the ICO's online count at peak hours, it would suggust that more than 15% of the playerbase play multiplayer... and that doesnt include lan.

Id be willing to wager that 50% ish or of the people that start up rebellion these days are playing ICO or private games.

Id expect that number to drop when sins is officially released, as scores of new people start learning the game... but right now the number of players playing online and number of players playing... not a small slice.

What planet are you from?

1st The game is wayyyy too buggy to be discussing balance, I mean come on sometimes my ships can't tell port from starboard.

3rd After bug smashing, balance with the force will appease 100%

4th Appeasing the 15% to help the 85% really, if it doesn't work in something as grand as communism what makes you think it will work in a video game?

May 29, 2012 1:44:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
It was sarcasm at his over the top "I pity you" drama.  Sarcasm is a form of wit smart people understand and other sorts of people don't get it.

Oh, oh, im sorry if I didn't hear the sarcasm in your voice when you typed that.

May 29, 2012 2:12:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have not read entire thread, but based on the OP, one thing is certain  - these forums are hilarious. At one side youve got the ultimate apologists, who will defend any decision made by devs and would try to make you believe, that the beta is some kind of godsend, you should be unconditionally thankful for, conveniently ommiting the fact, you paid cold hard cash to get in...

and then youve got people like OP, who are going to complain about game being buggy in the beta. Really, could you at least wait those 2/3 weeks until its officially released? Which part of the word "beta test" did you fail to comprehend?

May 29, 2012 2:13:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I DARE ALL THE TROLLS HERE TO ASK FOR A  REFUND BASED ON A BETA WHEN THEY KNOW THEY WILL EVENTUALLY GET THE FINAL GAME AT A DISCOUNTED PRICE..

GO AHED TROLLS--ASK FOR A REFUND

DO YOU KNOW HOW I KNOW YOU WONT-NOT THAT YOU ARE PUSSIES BUT BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHEN THE GAME IS RELEASED IT WILL ONLY HAVE BALANCING ISSUES LIKE EVERY OTHER RTS GAME.

VENT, RANT--GET A REFUND. SEE IF WE CARE--but you wont  

May 29, 2012 2:19:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When video games were first made there was often little or no competition (sometimes a new product launch meant an entirely new genre was born), a larger part/focus  of the escape of playing video games was the story and the allure of seeing new technology in play and games had a much longer life expectancy.

With the internet as a forum for gamers and first a patching vehicle and now distribution platform for games, we've seen videogaming evolve.  This evolution in games and gaming tech brings with it the inevitable evolution of the gamer as well.

Spreadsheets can now be shared around with ease, stats regarding everything required to win a game can be discussed, theories tested, revised and yes perfected in no time at all.  What might have taken someone months previously to discover on their own can now be performed by a group of dedicated gamers in a matter of days.

There is no denying it.  Once you have played in a multiplayer environment against another thinking human being, playing against AI will forever feel "flat".  I remember the feeling clearly of playing my first multiplayer videogames.  There was no going back to playing against AI.  How could I feel good about beating AI when I knew beforehand what it would do, where and when?

Having said that, there is a problem with human competition online.  Some (those who are fearful of playing online in the first place) will never play it again if someone beats up on them too soundly.  There are those who (even against humans) prefer a casual "let's just play together" mentality.  Then of course there are the hyper-competitive metagame playing gamers who seek out build-orders, weapon stats and dedicated map knowledge.  For these gamers the game is often less of a game but more a vehicle to a win over someone else.  Someone asked what about those games that take days and days?  To this level of gamer something taking days and days to resolve to a win/loss is pointless and just delays what could/should have been decided in 20 minutes.  Why keep grinding away at something for days when the result (to those who study the metagame) is inevitable anyway?  Of course the filpside to that coin is that while metagaming may be fun for those for whom it really just is about the win; for others the fun is in just playing the game and naturally seeing things to their conclusion.

Therein lies a problem.  The metagamers who seek only the win, will be constantly looking for newer faster ways to achieve said win.  Everytime something gets hit with the nerf-bat their spreadsheets point out another possible avenue of achieving the same result.  This will be seen as a constant attack on the gameplay mechanics by those who are SP-only gamers or those who are casual friendly-MP'ers.  By the metagamers this will be seen as gameplay refinement and if there is any truth in my preceeeding statement at all this leads to great divides in gaming communities and eventually spells the decline of same.  I know of no solution to this problem. 

In the last 10 years of gaming I have bumped into many of the same names in the various online MP-enabled games I play.  I would consider myself as being a bit of a hybrid between the casual and hardcore MP-only gamer because while I do absolutely consider the metagame in any game I play, I stop short of scouring websites for spreadsheets and build-orders.  Unfortunately the problem with most game communities is a human problem and as such requires a human and not a digital solution.

May 29, 2012 2:40:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
It was sarcasm at his over the top "I pity you" drama. Sarcasm is a form of wit smart people understand and other sorts of people don't get it.

Now continue the amusement.

Actually sarcasm is an expression of deep anger.  There is nothing intelligent about sarcasm(it actually comes quite easily to most people), its used as a way for individuals who place a lot of value on social hierarchies to release their anger and have it seem like it is also humor.  Personally I find sarcasm to be a cowards way out, if you are going to oppose me then just oppose me outright, don't try to be sly and slink your way around the edges like a bitch.

Luckily, most of your post was in response because you seem to think that my pity is an insult.  Me calling you a bitch, that was actually an insult.

The thing is you have no power over my observational analysis of your state of being, except to provide effective writing.  I can see through your writing easily enough, just as i can see through opponents strategies while playing sins.  You are just upset because I saw something you didn't mean for all of us to see, and I pointed it out with astounding clarity.  I truly do pity you, its not some forum gimmick.  Based upon how your mind works i would assume you are a relatively small man who places his importance on his brain and puts his personal value in that area.  I would recommend developing your heart, because that is actually the most important part of your being.  That is why I pity you, because you haven't found that out yet. 

You can take it a different way, instead of responding in anger and making the decision to act on that anger instead of gaining more information, you leave yourself open for more assault. 

That is why the military doesn't act in anger, because military disasters are caused when emotion gets into the works.  Most members of the military that i worked with had weak, almost non existent hearts that made them weak to all sorts of problems, and as a result they weaken the entire military apparatus.

If you had asked why I pity you, you would be in a better emotional position to protect any possible counter sting from attack because you would have made the choice.  As it stands you are just reacting in anger in my post and truly are under my influence at this very moment.  The thing that makes you angry is that you chose to be there and you don't know exactly how that happened.

Also, the developers wouldn't want to choose a piss poor player to test their game, as you won't be able to really test the game balance because you are incapable of maximizing playing efficiency with this game.  If the developers were to choose you over me it would just be an indication of their emotional weakness and inability to deal with the guarenteed right on target constructive criticism that I provide.  Like it or not, i'm a provider of constructive criticism. 

Also, when developers find that core decisions they made while designing the game have come into question by the player base during a Beta, they should have been making more informed decisions.  Developers, being paranoid about their IP want to keep it secret, yet a game is a communal experience.  If you piss off your future community because of a piss poor decision you failed to gain enough intelligence on via testing, its your own damn fault.  Developers who just delete their forums are taking the cowards way out, and trying to circumvent the inevitable, that they in fact aren't gods, they are servants of the whole.

They are making themselves public figures, and providing a game that will serve the emotional and intellectual needs of their player base.  As such public figures will ALWAYS be under the thrall of the public when the public chooses to do so.  If they can't take the heat then they should start reading up on effective leadership strategies, because they failed at leadership.

May 29, 2012 2:47:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

When video games were first made there was often little or no competition (sometimes a new product launch meant an entirely new genre was born), a larger part/focus  of the escape of playing video games was the story and the allure of seeing new technology in play and games had a much longer life expectancy.

With the internet as a forum for gamers and first a patching vehicle and now distribution platform for games, we've seen videogaming evolve.  This evolution in games and gaming tech brings with it the inevitable evolution of the gamer as well.

Spreadsheets can now be shared around with ease, stats regarding everything required to win a game can be discussed, theories tested, revised and yes perfected in no time at all.  What might have taken someone months previously to discover on their own can now be performed by a group of dedicated gamers in a matter of days.

There is no denying it.  Once you have played in a multiplayer environment against another thinking human being, playing against AI will forever feel "flat".  I remember the feeling clearly of playing my first multiplayer videogames.  There was no going back to playing against AI.  How could I feel good about beating AI when I knew beforehand what it would do, where and when?

Having said that, there is a problem with human competition online.  Some (those who are fearful of playing online in the first place) will never play it again if someone beats up on them too soundly.  There are those who (even against humans) prefer a casual "let's just play together" mentality.  Then of course there are the hyper-competitive metagame playing gamers who seek out build-orders, weapon stats and dedicated map knowledge.  For these gamers the game is often less of a game but more a vehicle to a win over someone else.  Someone asked what about those games that take days and days?  To this level of gamer something taking days and days to resolve to a win/loss is pointless and just delays what could/should have been decided in 20 minutes.  Why keep grinding away at something for days when the result (to those who study the metagame) is inevitable anyway?  Of course the filpside to that coin is that while metagaming may be fun for those for whom it really just is about the win; for others the fun is in just playing the game and naturally seeing things to their conclusion.

Therein lies a problem.  The metagamers who seek only the win, will be constantly looking for newer faster ways to achieve said win.  Everytime something gets hit with the nerf-bat their spreadsheets point out another possible avenue of achieving the same result.  This will be seen as a constant attack on the gameplay mechanics by those who are SP-only gamers or those who are casual friendly-MP'ers.  By the metagamers this will be seen as gameplay refinement and if there is any truth in my preceeeding statement at all this leads to great divides in gaming communities and eventually spells the decline of same.  I know of no solution to this problem. 

In the last 10 years of gaming I have bumped into many of the same names in the various online MP-enabled games I play.  I would consider myself as being a bit of a hybrid between the casual and hardcore MP-only gamer because while I do absolutely consider the metagame in any game I play, I stop short of scouring websites for spreadsheets and build-orders.  Unfortunately the problem with most game communities is a human problem and as such requires a human and not a digital solution.

Translates to: Human players are more fun than ai's. Thank you for the long essay..

Anyway as i said before: If you don't like the beta version then:

1.wait for more updates

2.dont play it and wait for the final release.

3.ASK for a refund -which you won't

May 29, 2012 2:53:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RiddleKing,

Translates to: Human players are more fun than ai's. Thank you for the long essay..

Thanks for being an ASS........and for proving my point about these problems being human.   

May 29, 2012 2:58:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And done.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001313   Page Render Time: