Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[Feedback/Request] On Map Version 4 and the aspect of "Chance"

By on June 13, 2012 7:35:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lavo_2

Join Date 05/2010
+110

With one of the recent release builds of Rebellion, support for map version 3, which did not have the forced moveAreaRadius and hyperspaceExitRadius inserts, was cut. I feel that this lack of support takes much away from making maps.

As version 4 does not allow for the various Random objects to have an moveAreaRadius and hyperspaceExitRadius based off the entity of whatever spawns, taking away an additional form of chance or "randomness". For example, if one puts a WeightedRandom in a map, regardless of spawns, such as an Ice planet or a Dead Asteroid, they will have the same movement area. Plus, nor does it allow, for modders, the ability to put in suns of various sizes with different areas of movement.

Due to these, however futile it may be, I request that either map version 4 has some sort of option to let the moveAreaRadius and hyperspaceExitRadius be left blank or allow for a wildcard symbol (aka. the game loads these values from the planet/star's entity file as in the past), or that map version 3 support be re-added.

543 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 14, 2012 12:13:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

bump

June 14, 2012 12:19:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hmm--that's an interesting notice.  Yeah.  I think an unforeseen effect when they came up with the scheme.

June 14, 2012 12:32:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

signed/

June 14, 2012 3:54:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

signed/

Might be worthy of PMing a Dev

June 14, 2012 5:09:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

After doing some initial testing, it appears that if one updates a version 3 map up until the point of including the moveAreaRadius and hyperspaceExitRadius bits, the regular game will read and generate it correctly. I say the regular as the dev exe will spew an endless stream of errors once you go onto the map selection screen it's in.

Will save this particular map and reopen it in the dev exe to see what it does.

Quoting GoaFan77,
Might be worthy of PMing a Dev

Anyone you have in mind?

June 14, 2012 5:12:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Isn't Yarlen always the best choice?

June 14, 2012 5:24:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Map seems to be running fine in the dev exe, other than the occasional moveAreaRadius and hyperspaceExitRadius related error messages, in particular when autosave fires off.

June 15, 2012 4:20:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
After doing some initial testing, it appears that if one updates a version 3 map up until the point of including the moveAreaRadius and hyperspaceExitRadius bits, the regular game will read and generate it correctly. I say the regular as the dev exe will spew an endless stream of errors once you go onto the map selection screen it's in.

So it uses the lines from the entity file this way? Or are you saying thats all you have to do to convert files?

Also, if you're forced to use things that generate constant errors but not crashes for your mod, you can turn off the show errors option in your Dev RebellionUser.settings file. It works pretty well for me since I use Zombie's Eclipse plugin which is actually better at finding syntax related errors, which was the main thing I relied on the dev to catch. I only switch it back on when something clearly isn't working right or with crashes. Not sure if he has a Rebellion one yet though.

June 15, 2012 10:20:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
So it uses the lines from the entity file this way? Or are you saying thats all you have to do to convert files? 

The former. While the map currently doesn't work with base Sins, due to being based off a mod, here are the pre and post fixed up versions if you want to compare the two to see the lines that ought to be added.

Quoting GoaFan77,
Also, if you're forced to use things that generate constant errors but not crashes for your mod, you can turn off the show errors option in your Dev RebellionUser.settings file.

I figure I can do that eventually, though this early on in development, I'm trying to catch and squish whatever errors I find, if possible. Unfortunately my lack of familiarity with the dev exe's errors isn't helping much.

June 16, 2012 10:29:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the comparison maps--very helpful Lavo.

June 17, 2012 12:03:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

bumping

June 17, 2012 2:47:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm working a map now to see if this will fix it.

I noticed on your Rebellion map it still says Version 3--was that intentional?

June 17, 2012 3:02:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
I'm working a map now to see if this will fix it.

I noticed on your Rebellion map it still says Version 3--was that intentional?

I just didn't bother to change it... The version number isn't actually read by the game, to my understanding, it's just there as a reference.

June 17, 2012 5:26:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

signed/

June 18, 2012 12:37:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another day, another bump.

June 19, 2012 12:18:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Bumping again to try and get SD/IC to see this thread.

June 21, 2012 3:07:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Welp, this fell down to page 2, that's no good.

June 21, 2012 7:10:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dude it is obvious the dev's either don't care or just don't want to make any promises on this subject, but either way I'm sure they have seen the thread... No need to keep bumping it, no matter how sweet this idea is (I really do like it, don't get me wrong).

June 22, 2012 3:36:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

bump

June 22, 2012 10:57:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,
Dude it is obvious the dev's either don't care or just don't want to make any promises on this subject, but either way I'm sure they have seen the thread... No need to keep bumping it, no matter how sweet this idea is (I really do like it, don't get me wrong).

If it weren't for the 5 weapon cap and Titans I would have asked for a refund on Rebellion due to this. Particularly as this was done after the beta finished, there was no warning over this. I'm going to keep bumping this until it is acknowledged in some way by the devs, or I'm banned for bumping this thread too much.

June 22, 2012 12:06:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Suit yourself.

June 23, 2012 12:04:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

bump and signed.  Maybe they'll also look to fixing the fubar empire tree -split friendly to left, enemies to right... but maybe they'll also go 64-bit and multicore...

Options... SOASE has dem.

June 25, 2012 11:29:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Daily bump.

June 25, 2012 4:47:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey so maybe I have this wrong here... but don't asteroids still have smaller gravity wells than terrans?

Also you could technically use required planet bonuses to get around this too I think.

June 25, 2012 5:40:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Normally they do, but if you want this to happen on a pre-made map you will have to enter in the moveAreaRadius and hyperspaceExitRadius yourself.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time: