Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Did the devs really put clues in the game's code?

By on June 20, 2012 12:29:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Polistes

Join Date 02/2008
+19

As the title states did the developers REALLY put in clues as to what the vasari are running from in the games code? The fact we have not seen any legitimate answers is rather suspicious... Nor the fact that the serious modders have not yet found anything either.

I certainly hope that little tidbit was not merely to hype the game, because then I would be sad.

Locked Post 136 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 20, 2012 9:05:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, that was a horrible idea

June 20, 2012 4:31:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personaly I believe they are holding the race of which the vasari are running from for a new Rebellion DLC. adding a whole new layer of gameplay.

June 20, 2012 6:14:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It had better not be something that requires decompiling..  First off, I don't think doing so is even legal.  Next, that's awfully mean because we'd have to learn the game code despite everything having names like int1, string2, char5, float10, etc.

And of course there's always the potential that he had a brain fart and stuck in in the code as a comment or an unused string lol which means that it isn't in there.  Honestly, unless they're programming in assembly (which I really doubt), even the structure of the code is going to be quite different because modern compilers pull all sorts of magic when making making an executable.

The above means that you aren't going to have any dead-end strings as the compiler would simply rip them out (not to mention I've already searched the executable for this sort of thing and while it's possible I missed it, I did check).  Really it honestly seems like the only options remaining are things hidden in the game itself..

Of course, I suppose they could manually write a block of assembly code that contains the secret..  This is probably the most likely scenario because I don't think compilers touch assembly code with their magic but I suppose I could be mistaken.

June 21, 2012 3:07:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Isn't decompiling the core code a EULA violation?  Saying modders just love going through data files to reverse engineer?  Wrong phrasing.  Modders love going through to make SOASE better.

If we could reverse engineer the core files where the Easter Egg is, we'd get spanked for it. 

Nothing is chasing the Vasari, there is no Sins II, probably at best a Rebellion II, it's a scam!

June 21, 2012 3:16:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lockerd,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90D44l8qiBM go to 15:10

Dang. They are intentionally hiding it from us modders.

I don't think decompiling it is needed to find it either. Its probably a true easter egg in that you find it after some bizzare conditions are met in game, sort of like a secret achievement that'll then reveal whatever the heck it is.

June 21, 2012 3:38:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If we find out it's the space ponies and they've been with us the entire time, I'm gonna rage

June 21, 2012 4:24:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
I don't think decompiling it is needed to find it either. Its probably a true easter egg in that you find it after some bizzare conditions are met in game, sort of like a secret achievement that'll then reveal whatever the heck it is.

Someone try researching All for One, getting an AR and TL ally and build a Kultorask?  Maybe throw in a mobile Orky?

I've heard that whatever it is is supposed to take seven minutes...  Construct a Kultorask (six minutes) and then scuttle homeworld (1 minute) without colonizing elsewhere?

June 21, 2012 4:44:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's bugs Mr. Rizzo--the Loyalist titan is a giant insect.  They have enslaved the Insectoids I tell ya!

June 21, 2012 4:59:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The fact is, history tends to repeat itself. What the Vasari no longer realize is that whatever they were running from is long dead.

HOWEVER, in their quest to avoid this danger they have now become the new Harbinger of doom with the Vasari Loyalists and the Stripped to the Core mentality. 

June 21, 2012 5:02:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
The fact is, history tends to repeat itself. What the Vasari no longer realize is that whatever they were running from is long dead.

HOWEVER, in their quest to avoid this danger they have now become the new Harbinger of doom with the Vasari Loyalists and the Stripped to the Core mentality. 

I don't think so. In original Sins, it stated that the Vasari left warning beacons behind them, and that those beacons continued to fall silent no matter how far they ran. I think that the Vasari are evacuating Trader space now because their last pre-war beacons have fallen silent, and they are scared as heck about that.

June 21, 2012 6:20:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, something scared the mars bars out of the toughest warriors in the Dark Fleet so the idea that the batteries in the sensors died doesn't hold water.  They either pissed off something extradimensional, created something horrific (nanotech, biological or hybrid that enslaved them -take a guess), or the didn't listen to Q (TNG: All Good Things Theory) and blew a frakking hole in the universe and disrupted the first molecules attempting to form amino acids way back in the past and time is slowly erasing them from the galaxy.

Me, I'm voting for the Q angle.  Check the Vasari combat lab meshes, I'm better there is a little square in there with the letter Q on it.

June 22, 2012 10:10:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,

I've heard that whatever it is is supposed to take seven minutes...  Construct a Kultorask (six minutes) and then scuttle homeworld (1 minute) without colonizing elsewhere?

You might be onto something.

Sinperium, dang it give us hints!!!!!!

June 22, 2012 10:36:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

June 22, 2012 11:50:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My commanding officer swore blind that the entire planet was in emanate danger of being eaten by an enormous mutant star goat

June 22, 2012 11:53:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Please don't let be zombies. I will spit fire and burn everybody to the ground if i see another zombie game or dlc.

June 22, 2012 1:03:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some race they had previously enslaved rebelled and coming at them with a vengeance!!! lol either that or the Xel'Naga

June 22, 2012 2:46:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As was mentioned several times on the boards, people think they're running from giant insectoids and thats why theyre ships are shaped as they are. (Corvettes, Titans, Jarrasul)

If thats the case, I vote that theyre running from a fleet of giant RAID canister's.

RAID

June 22, 2012 2:54:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's the TAV - Tec-Advent-Vasari Coalition. In the future, near the end of the universe (dying of old age - or perhaps a phase 'energy leak' is sapping it?) they were trying to open a humongous phase gate to jump to another universe, but found out they would no longer be able to harness enough energy, because it was too spread out in our universe.

Because they fought for too long before they joined their forces to flee from a dying universe.

They then settled for the next best solution - use phase tech to fold time instead of space and go back, to fight they ancestors as a mean to cause them to unite sooner against a common enemy. This way all 3 races would be able to unite sooner, in time to create a multiversal phase lane, harness enough energy to power it and escape our dying universe.

The 'dark unknown' is actually an ally in disguise.

Multiverses are great. Each PC is the player's personal universe. Multiversal phase lane is a good way to justify multiplayer in-lore (for Sins2).

June 22, 2012 2:56:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok--I was going to NOT spoil this but I can see the short-bus riding modder's need a boost.

First, green stars are still in the game for a reason.

Secondly, a certain texture on a certain ship at a certain angle will--if zoomed in on--reveal a certain clue (think "Prometheus and ancient caves".

You MUST have all graphics settings on "Highest" and bloom MUST be enabled.

Do NOT PM me as I am NOT going to spell it out but smart people will get it.

Yes, do my mod for me and I will do a full reveal.

June 22, 2012 2:57:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I keep thinking of the Shivans from Descent 2: Freespace. Badass space fighter game. Multi-Armed Zero Gravity-Based Race with superior technology and spooky as hell.

Bugs. Space Zombies (I ain't going nowhere near Reaver territory). Space Goats. Rosie.

Hope its something more exciting than that.

June 22, 2012 3:11:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Ok--I was going to NOT spoil this but I can see the short-bus riding modder's need a boost.

First, green stars are still in the game for a reason.

Secondly, a certain texture on a certain ship at a certain angle will--if zoomed in on--reveal a certain clue (think "Prometheus and ancient caves".

You MUST have all graphics settings on "Highest" and bloom MUST be enabled.

Do NOT PM me as I am NOT going to spell it out but smart people will get it.

Yes, do my mod for me and I will do a full reveal.

i knew it! lol sinp! i knew it! and i pm'd u along time ago about it! k im happy now 

June 22, 2012 3:16:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Robotic space goats piloted by zombie bugs

June 22, 2012 6:00:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why does there have to be trollers?

Come on, I am pretty sure the devs will reveal this eventually, of course, they can be a bunch of jerks and not reveal it.

At least some people have an idea on what it is.

June 22, 2012 6:32:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I still think it's an enslaved bug race that is coming after them for revenge.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000421   Page Render Time: