Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD] - Dark Space - Rebellion (Beta Version Released)

By on June 20, 2012 6:49:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

mostly80

Join Date 08/2011
+8

Dark Space

This is a total conversion mod, at the minute there are only two selectable races, but I plan to add two more.

1. The Humans

Take control of Humanity in the year 2210. Starting with basic Space travel technology, progressing through to advanced Battleships.

United Earth BattleShip with Earth and The International Space Station in the Background.

2. The Swarm

An insectoid race incapable of negotiations due to their highly aggressive nature, existing only to expand the Hive.

A Swarm Hive Ship

Features

-Unique Hyperspace travel for both races. Humans with consistent hyperspace speed but can improve through research. The Swarm are fast in gravity wells and between owned worlds but slow to enemy or unowned planets.
-All new Abilities including - Nukes, Admiral on board, Mind control parasites and much more.
-Massive map representing the Milky Way Galaxy with real star names and positions (well sort of!).
-New Galactic wonders such as black holes, new stars, new worlds and worlds destroyed by a mysterious unknown force.
-Realistic SOL system with Earth, Mars etc.
-Massive gravity wells. Space is a big place after all.
-Completely new Planet modules and all new ships. The vast majority are from NEXUS -THE JUPITER INCIDENT (a great game, I highly recommend it).
-New sounds and music. The Swarm have all new sounds to give them a real alien insect feel.
-A universe without Shields!
-Antimatter replaced by Tactical Weapons for Humans! Abilities drain tactical weapon count, and can only be replaced at specially built resupply stations.
-Completely new Research tree unique to each race. Humans can make vast technology jumps, while the Swarm improve and expand the Hive.
-NO ERRORS!!!! I've spent days hunting down and correcting the error messages that pop up in the dev. This mod is error free!

This MOD is for Rebellion and is still very much a work in progress. Gameplay is still being balanced and new features are being added on a regular basis. Any constructive criticism or feedback is welcome.  

Alpha Version released 10 July 2013.

Beta Version  0.9 released 19 April 2015

New download link provided by harpo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8023186/sins%20mods/Dark%20Space.rar

125 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 20, 2012 6:57:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looking good.  Keep up the work.  

June 20, 2012 8:34:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

sounds interesting, best of luck finishing the mod

harpo

June 20, 2012 1:14:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looks very cool, and I love Nexus. Can I ask when you plan to release it?

June 20, 2012 1:50:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This mod does look extremely promising.  Only problem I can see is that the AI cannot handle it when ships cannot replenish their own antimatter, or tactical weapons in your case.  Rest of it sounds awesome, though.

June 20, 2012 1:55:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

nice looking ships!

June 20, 2012 5:38:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks guys. 

Spardason21 - Thanks, I never considered the AI struggling with the resupply of tactical weapons. I'll look into it, any suggestions?

Velisx - I still need to finish the research trees and add a few more Swarm ships before i even start looking at adding the two extra races. I'm not going to let it drag on for ages but I don't want to release a half finished mod. Work and family tend to get in the way too. I might release a beta in the next couple of months with just the human and swarm factions but I'm making no promises. 

Forgot to mention earlier:

-I'm also using wing commander models for several new human fighter/bomber units. I'm trying to give them a more important role in fleet battles.

-Certain planetary modules can only be placed near to planets, giving the impression of them in near orbit rather than scattered all over the place.

I'll post some more pics in the next week. 

June 20, 2012 6:18:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Since the AI is extremely hardcoded, the only thing you can do is just give ships antimatter regeneration.  Sorry.

June 24, 2012 10:11:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

PLEASE NOTE THE BELOW IMAGES ARE PRE-ALPHA VERSION. THE TEXTURES HAVE BEEN GREATLY IMPROVED FOR THE ALPHA RELEASE.

The Human faction or United Earth as I've called them in the game are almost done. Here's a sample of what some of the ships look like.

United Earth Destroyer

United Earth Cruiser

United Earth Heavy Cruiser

United Earth Colony Ship

The Swarm Faction on the other hand are still a work in progress. I'm not entirely happy with some of the models that I've used so far. Here's one example,

Swarm Warrior Hiveship

Any feedback appreciated on the Swarm. If anyone is interested in "donating" some alien insect looking ships that would also be greatly appreciated.

June 24, 2012 12:56:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've always enjoyed the human vessels from Nexus.  Your textures are a bit dark though so the details all look washed-out, plus the team color is pretty "splashed-on" I guess.  It also looks like you've got some shadowing issues so you should check your tangents.  Granted, these are a graphical so their impact on gameplay is nil, but if it is at all possible you should try and fix them.  Aside from that, your mod looks excellent for a first-time attempt.

June 25, 2012 7:34:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Really like the concept of your mod.

The Human antimatter thing:

Couldn't you use a hidden research for (very) slow antimatter regeneration which only the AI can use? I am sure the player wouldn't even notice the difference, if the AI don't need to recharg it's antimatter/Tactical Count at structures. And you could give the 'Refill Tactical Weapons' ability to a structure that would be build from the AI anyway. (Like Tradepost, Ship Factorys, Weapon Labs, Hangar Defenses or Battle Stations)

At last I want to ask, which role the Battle Stations will have in your mod. Will they be like the nativ BS or something different?

June 25, 2012 12:54:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When is it available for download?

June 26, 2012 4:45:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cool! another mod to play! Looks interesting, I do have to agree with SpardaSon21 and looks like the ships windows have team colour in them also. Should be fixable though without too much trouble hopefully. I could lend a hand there if you like.

Best of luck with it.

July 6, 2012 5:42:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Been away for the last week and a bit so haven't been able to do anymore work on my mod. Thanks for the comments.

I've had some major issues with the textures. The very first version of my mod had very simple textures with no detail. Through some brilliant tutorials on this site I've managed to progress a little further, but they're still causing me a major headache!

I might be taking up SZO's generous offer of help with the textures in the next couple of weeks. SZO I'll pm you to sort out details. Full credit will be given of course.

The tactical weapon/anti-matter problem is still being worked on. Vegas_Celest, thanks for the idea. I'm considering the research option but nothing definite yet. The Battle Stations are currently included as build-able structures. They range from the large Battle Station with large fighter capacity and lots of firepower to the smaller Orbital Stations, that can only be built very close to a planet and with fewer fighters and weapons. They aren't classed as star-bases, but this might change with the Battle Station. An idea I'm working on is to have the Battle Stations as Large Naval Bases for fleet operations.

I appreciate the comments on the Human ships, but what do you think about the Swarm? I'll be posting some Swarm pics soon, at the minute they're a collection of alien insect looking ships (including the reapers from Mass Effect).

July 6, 2012 9:09:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mostly80,
I might be taking up SZO's generous offer of help with the textures in the next couple of weeks. SZO I'll pm you to sort out details. Full credit will be given of course.

Yep! OK, I'll stay tuned.

Quoting mostly80,
I appreciate the comments on the Human ships, but what do you think about the Swarm? I'll be posting some Swarm pics soon, at the minute they're a collection of alien insect looking ships (including the reapers from Mass Effect).

I really like the look of the swarm ships. The planet in the background looks awesome also.

Looking forward to seeing more!

February 24, 2013 12:50:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This Mod isn't dead yet, I've just struggled to put the time in due to family etc....

I've managed to put some work into it over the past month.

I decided to try and learn how to texture myself rather than rely on SZO. He did provide an excellent example of his work, which was greatly appreciated, but I couldn't bring myself myself to rely on someone else for textures. Plus, there are a lot of texture files! I couldn't put all that workload on someone else.

Some changes have taken place:

PIRATES

I've taken a lot more inspiration from the game Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. I've put a lot of work into bringing the Gorg into play. They replace the Pirates and are pretty tough. 

They have their own abilities, planets, structures, Battleships/Cruisers/Destroyers, and Space Stations.

A Gorg BattleShip with Gorg Fighters at the Front

The

GALAXY

The Galaxy map has been changed radically. There are now two very distinct Galaxies.

The Milky Way: Contains the Humans and the Gorg.

Andromeda Galaxy: Contains the Swarm, linked to the Milky Way by a worm hole. This means that the Swarm are encountered much later in the game. 

An effort has been made to try and make the Galaxy map as realistic as possible, with actual Star names and placement. Game play has been kept in mind, strategy and tactics are now more important than ever.

Star Systems are now unique. Stars can now be colonized (with the right research). Star systems contain interesting discoveries, including new Alien species, new planets and new Stars. 

The Milky Way Galaxy (still very much a work in progress)

NEW TEXTURES

As I previously stated a lot of work has gone into learning how to texture and updating the existing models. 

A United Earth Battleship with the International Space Station and Earth in the background.

A United Earth Carrier, Fighters/Bombers now play a greater role in combat.

A United Earth Support Ship, this ship adds very valuable abilities to a fleet.

A Swarm Queen.

NEW RACE ATTRIBUTES

A considerable effort has been made to make the Humans and the Swarm very different. I've given them "Race Attributes", these are free instantly research items that define each race, such as hyperspace speed, the ability to colonize certain planets/stars.

This is also reflected in the structures and abilities available to each race. The Swarm have a focus on being a collective mind, they are slow to expand to new worlds but once a world is colonized they develop it very quickly and can move extremely fast between owned worlds.Their ships are born quickly, are cheap, but not very tough. While the Humans are slow but determined. They rely heavily on technological advances to expand. Their ships are expensive, slow to build, but heavily armoured and boast a fierce array of weaponry.

Let me know what you think?

February 24, 2013 1:13:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well Holyshit! Outstanding work!

February 24, 2013 4:56:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very impressive.

June 15, 2013 4:03:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey,

I've had this mods page bookmarked for months hoping for an update. The models and textures look awesome.

Is there any progress? I'm praying its not dead 

June 15, 2013 5:07:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Same here hoping to hear news

June 16, 2013 2:13:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Still alive and kicking.

I've been updating the files to work with the latest update.

I've been play testing a version with almost completed United Earth and Swarm factions. There are still some problems to iron out but it's coming along nicely.

There were some major problems with the Swarm that took up some time to sort out. I've also been heavily influenced by the Tyranids from Warhammer 40k. The Swarm have had a major overhaul, replacing a lot of the older models with Tyranid style creatures. This has taken up a great deal of time.

The research tree for the United Earth is almost complete, and the Swarm research tree is well underway.

I've had to scrap the idea of having two huge Galaxies on the map. This was due to the Swarm becoming so huge it was slowing the frame rate down and making the Swarm impossible to defeat. The map has been condensed to the Milky Way with the Swarm placed on the outer edges.

I've also been streamlining all of the textures so that the files are smaller and improve computer performance.

The Gorg as pirates are complete. They look great, sound great and are very challenging. 

I want to complete the research trees, and add a few more ships to both factions. I still don't want to give a date for release as there still is work to be done and I've got some major events coming up in real life too! 

June 17, 2013 6:46:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi Mostly80,

It's great news your still working hard, it would of been a  [e digicons]:'([/e]  shame all your hard work go to waste. I'm really looking forward to playing your mod. 

If you need any play testers i'd like to volunteer myself, if not I will be eagerly awaiting your release.

Thanks for all the hard work.

June 17, 2013 12:49:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi mostly,

This mod is looking to be very cool! I was wondering if you had any special super weapons in mind for both factions?

July 8, 2013 8:42:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm going to release an unfinished version of this mod in the next few days. 

It's far from finished but I'm worried that it will never truly be finished in my eyes. If I don't release an alpha version I'm never going to put it out there.

The swarm textures are not finished, the research fields are far from finished and I'm sure there are plenty of gameplay issues.

I hope you enjoy the mod as much as I've enjoyed creating it!

WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!!

July 8, 2013 10:54:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm quite interested to see what you've done.

July 9, 2013 2:56:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mostly80,
It's far from finished but I'm worried that it will never truly be finished in my eyes. If I don't release an alpha version I'm never going to put it out there.

That is definitely true. You will never think you're done. Best to release it so that it may actual do what it is intended for and so you can get user feedback as soon as possible.

Also looking forward to checking this out.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: