Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD] - Dark Space - Rebellion (Beta Version Released)

By on June 20, 2012 6:49:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

mostly80

Join Date 08/2011
+8

Dark Space

This is a total conversion mod, at the minute there are only two selectable races, but I plan to add two more.

1. The Humans

Take control of Humanity in the year 2210. Starting with basic Space travel technology, progressing through to advanced Battleships.

United Earth BattleShip with Earth and The International Space Station in the Background.

2. The Swarm

An insectoid race incapable of negotiations due to their highly aggressive nature, existing only to expand the Hive.

A Swarm Hive Ship

Features

-Unique Hyperspace travel for both races. Humans with consistent hyperspace speed but can improve through research. The Swarm are fast in gravity wells and between owned worlds but slow to enemy or unowned planets.
-All new Abilities including - Nukes, Admiral on board, Mind control parasites and much more.
-Massive map representing the Milky Way Galaxy with real star names and positions (well sort of!).
-New Galactic wonders such as black holes, new stars, new worlds and worlds destroyed by a mysterious unknown force.
-Realistic SOL system with Earth, Mars etc.
-Massive gravity wells. Space is a big place after all.
-Completely new Planet modules and all new ships. The vast majority are from NEXUS -THE JUPITER INCIDENT (a great game, I highly recommend it).
-New sounds and music. The Swarm have all new sounds to give them a real alien insect feel.
-A universe without Shields!
-Antimatter replaced by Tactical Weapons for Humans! Abilities drain tactical weapon count, and can only be replaced at specially built resupply stations.
-Completely new Research tree unique to each race. Humans can make vast technology jumps, while the Swarm improve and expand the Hive.
-NO ERRORS!!!! I've spent days hunting down and correcting the error messages that pop up in the dev. This mod is error free!

This MOD is for Rebellion and is still very much a work in progress. Gameplay is still being balanced and new features are being added on a regular basis. Any constructive criticism or feedback is welcome.  

Alpha Version released 10 July 2013.

Beta Version  0.9 released 19 April 2015

New download link provided by harpo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8023186/sins%20mods/Dark%20Space.rar

124 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 7, 2014 6:33:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi MajorVader111. There haven't been any updates recently because I've away from home on business quite a bit but in the last week I've managed to progress the mod a little. 

Still no definite release date as there is still some work to do. 

I'm working on a huge map of the Orion arm which is looking really cool. There are over 200 planets spread over 16 star systems, and it's still growing. I'm currently trying to change the way collecting resources works but I'm having some problems. I've removed resource asteroids from all gravity wells except for asteroid belts. This has increased the strategic importance of capturing and holding them. Plus there are now structures available that give resources, although these are expensive and take up nearly all logistic slots. I want to add an ability to planets that gives resources (representing mining operations on the planet surface) but when it's applied to neutral planets causes a mini dump. I think this is because the buff is trying to give resources to a player that doesn't exist. Anyone got any ideas around this? EDIT: GoaFan77 has helped me resolve this. Cheers.

I also want to create another map that covers a different part of the Milky Way galaxy, but has the Humans fully advanced. The idea being that it's the 2nd chapter in the Human Swarm War, with the humans pushing back the Swarm advance. Is there a way for a player to start with full research without using the dev.?

July 7, 2014 9:56:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cool looking forward to it

July 8, 2014 12:45:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mostly80,
Is there a way for a player to start with full research without using the dev.?

Sadly, no, not without a separate mod.  That would be boring in a lot of ways; however, as you immediately start with access to everything and can just start spamming that one powerful ship or combination of ships right off the bat.

August 26, 2014 3:22:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hows it going mostly, hows progress doing, do you yet have a estimated release yet?

October 3, 2014 6:29:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's going, slowly. No release date yet, but will be in 2014. It will still have a load of unfinished aspects. This year has been unexpectedly very busy with work and family stuff, so the good progress I was making at the start of the year has slowed dramatically. 

I'm probably going to release it as a beta. Then hopefully have a final release in 2015!!! 😵😲

October 4, 2014 6:40:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mostly80,

It's going, slowly. No release date yet, but will be in 2014. It will still have a load of unfinished aspects. This year has been unexpectedly very busy with work and family stuff, so the good progress I was making at the start of the year has slowed dramatically. 

I'm probably going to release it as a beta. Then hopefully have a final release in 2015!!! 😵😲

I'm really looking forward to the beta, I'd be happy to carry out testing for you. I really enjoyed playing your previous release and can't wait to see what improvements you've made. 

October 5, 2014 10:46:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cool, thanks Barn0. I've made loads of changes.

The gameplay is still very slow, it takes a couple of hours before the Gorg show up and start to give you a major headache, and then it's hours later until the Swarm make an appearance. However, I know most people won't like that but I love it. I really enjoy the slow building up and exploring phase of the game and then all of a sudden aliens show up and it's all out war to save the human race.

The humans look great at the minute. Loads of ships and structures, an almost full research tree, loads of cool abilities. I've changed the back story, you now start with the humans in modern day. With the International Space Station and Hubble telescope in orbit. A shuttle is launched from Earth which can deploy astronauts to build and so begins the exploration of space. If the devs would open the trigger function up I've got loads of cool ideas to improve gameplay. The beta will only have the humans as a playable race in single player mode because of AI issues, basically, building structures in space is a big deal for humans and needs careful management and the AI can't cope with it. There are some workarounds but I don't want to compromise on them.

The Swarm are horrible and unstoppable. But again I love this! During playtesting, albeit after a good few hours! A Swarm scout showed up in one of my outer colony systems. Within an hour a huge Hive fleet was running amok and required my entire fleet to stop it. I then had Gorg raids to deal with and the creeping dread knowing that the Swarm would be back.

I've removed some of the critical damage system function. If human or gorg ships are damaged to certain point they can start to loss functions such as engines, weapons and abilities. I've removed the critical damage bit which would cause an explosion which damaged nearby ships, simply because I was losing entire fleets to a chain reaction of explosions. Which was cool at first but became a major pain due to the lack of being able to control ship fleet formations.

Watch this space!!!

October 7, 2014 4:29:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sounds like its gonna be a lot of fun, I love slow games where you get to build up your fleet and defenses for the inevitable attack. Really like the idea of starting off in modern day and researching up to a multi-planet empire.

January 20, 2015 6:32:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

so mostly hows progress kinda forget about this mod, hope its all good?

January 23, 2015 1:06:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I kinda forgot about it too at the end of last year I'm sorry to say. I've started on it again in the past week. I've had a change of heart about the Swarm for the tenth time. I'm looking to replace the current models with just a few organic looking huge leviathan type creatures. However, my modelling skills aren't up to the task so I'm looking for some help with that. The Zerg leviathan ships from Starcraft are the kind of thing I'm working towards. Can anyone help out or point me in the direction of where I can get some models like that? Tyranid style Hive ships would also be great!

Has anyone worked out how to get the AI to use stripped to core yet? I ideally want to have the Swarm as a nomadic locust type race that strip worlds and then move onto the next. I'm not holding out on this though, I'm pretty sure the AI can't use it.

I've added Mystic Angel's fighter squadron management to the mod too. This docks all fighters unless there is an enemy in the gravity well, which cuts down on memory running costs greatly, especially later in the game when there are some large fleets about.

Still no release date, sorry.

January 27, 2015 5:45:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hey when u plan to relise a new version

January 28, 2015 10:12:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Uh did you even read the post he just made?

Because Still no release date, sorry. Is pretty clear in what it means in terms of a release date for a new version.

January 28, 2015 10:54:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

that could be a full release

March 31, 2015 12:12:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Where can i find a download link to this mod. this looks really fun!

April 3, 2015 1:19:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's still being worked on. so no links at the moment.

April 7, 2015 11:57:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just looking around and this caught my eye. It looks really fun. Ill keep praying for some sort of download for it.

April 19, 2015 1:36:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here it is then, the latest version 0.9. It's still far from complete, the incredibly initial slow game play is the main concern, but hey space exploration is a slow process. 

Research trees still need work, abilities need to be added to the Swarm and they have been removed as a playable race. Maybe in the next 3 years I'll sort it out but until then enjoy the unfinished product.

Download Link available on the front page. 

Any constructive criticism is welcome.

April 29, 2015 8:51:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Since the game is designed for a long season, is the drop in game speed in longer gameplay, very disturbing.

I've reduced the Fighter with the ships and bases, which is nevertheless limited.

On the map size, it is not, I have tried several.

But otherwise a good mod. Some ship models might change, but that's a matter of taste.

September 19, 2015 7:30:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey Mostly, how's it going?

I've just tried to download your mod after upgrading my rig and it's been removed! Really appreciate it if you (or some other kind soul) could post a new link.

September 19, 2015 7:47:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

barno, as mostly80 has not been seen in the last few months, I will upload a copy to my dropbox, of the mod that I downloaded on the 17th of april, and when it is uploaded I will reply again with the link to the rar

Harpo, the GhOSt NON_subscriber

September 19, 2015 9:53:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks Harpo, your a legend!

September 19, 2015 3:08:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm still here. If harpo wants to post a new link that's cool with me.

September 19, 2015 7:05:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ok finally uploaded to my dropbox

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8023186/sins%20mods/Dark%20Space.rar

Harpo the GhOSt NON-subscriber

August 20, 2016 4:21:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What's with the mod, when it will update?

Cool mod, the idea is very interesting, for a long time waiting for the continuation, and its all there!

Very much I hope, that mod has not died!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: