Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

how to play with phasic weapons

and how to neutralize them in Rebellion

By on July 2, 2012 4:18:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

HouseRalan

Join Date 03/2008
+60

Entrenchment, Diplomacy, Rebellion

Any weapon can be modded to ignore shields, it's not just a property exclusive to phase missiles.  7 Deadly Sins has toyed around with this giving a variety of weapons "Phasic" properties -to bypass shields to some extent. Adding this line to any research subject and applying the appropriate

researchModifier
    modifierType "WeaponIgnoresShieldsAdjustment"
    baseValue 0.000000 [1.000000 is 100% shield bypass, 0.100000 is 10%, 0.350000 is 35% and so on.]
    perLevelValue 0.000000 [0.050000 is 5% per level, 0.100000 is 10%, and so on]
    linkedWeaponClass "" [insert appropriate weapon class]

Be sure to change the MaxNumResearchLevels and the researchFloatModifiers # to match the number of researchModifiers to avoid issues.

=============

I think Diplomacy, but definitely Rebellion.  Impenetrable to 'partially' impenetrable shields.

To defeat phasic weapons that bypass shields to x%.  Vasari can get 30% max shield ignore, but mods can buff that to more and screw around with all sorts of weapon class so anything can bypass shields -the trick is being able to bs well enough in the English.str file descriptions.

Just playing around with RESEARCHSUBJECT_SHIELDSTECH1.entity, I did this:

onlyWorksIfTierLabsExist FALSE [if TRUE, you don't need labs for it to work, also means baseValue apply at game start]
MaxNumResearchLevels 4 [was 2 levels, but I wanted to test 25% phasic blocking increments]
priority 1.000000
researchBoolModifiers 0
researchFloatModifiers 3 [there are 3 researchModifiers so gotta do the numbering right]
researchModifier
    modifierType "ShieldPointsMaxAdjustment"
    baseValue 0.000000
    perLevelValue 0.050000
researchModifier
    modifierType "ShieldPointsRegenAdjustment"
    baseValue 0.000000
    perLevelValue 0.050000
researchModifier
    modifierType "ChanceToIgnoreShieldsAsDamageTarget"
    baseValue 0.000000 [-1.000000 would be 100% blocking, but... that's for after]
    perLevelValue -0.250000 [25% phase blocking per 4 MaxNumResearchLevels]

When fully researched, phasic weapons don't get past your shields, but they will pound your shields down like normal weapons and chew into hull.
*if the baseValue for the "CTISADT" is set, for example, to 0.500000, then weapons will pass 50% damage to shields and 50% to hull.  If 1.000000, then all damage go straight to hull and you will die with shields up. 
**if the baseValue for the "CTISADT" is set to 0.3 and the "onlyworksiftierlabsexist" is TRUE, then once you get the labs, you get the base 30% phasic value.  If "onlyworksiftierlabsexist" is FALSE, you get the bonus when game starts -neat.
***perLevelValue, this determines how much boost per level.  0.010000 is 1%, 0.100000 is 10% and 1.000000 is 100%.  If you put in 5.000000 for perLevelValue, 500% might not mean 5x more damage, but who knows. 

baseValue -0.100000
    perLevelValue -0.050000

This means, depending on "onlyWorksIfTierLabsExist" TRUE/FALSE, you block 10% of phasic damage and with research gain an additional 5% phasic blocking per level.

If you want to make the Vasari even more unbalanced, give them this.  If you want to give TEC and Advent some reverse engineering of phase missiles to they don't get ripped by them, give them this.

We're doing this for the Empire in 7 Deadly Sins to fit canonically weak armor and strong shields and fluff material for them and realized other mods could benefit from this. 

Enjoy phasic weapons and blocking them.

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 2, 2012 4:23:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

July 2, 2012 6:27:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the info, one Small question... what does canonically Mean?

We're doing this for the Empire in 7 Deadly Sins to fit canonically weak armor and strong shields and fluff material for them and realized other mods could benefit from this.

the Dictionary days

1. Of, relating to, or required by canon law.
2. Of or appearing in the biblical canon.
3. Conforming to orthodox or well-established rules or patterns, as of procedure.
4. Of or belonging to a cathedral chapter.
5. Of or relating to a literary canon: a canonical writer like Keats.
6. Music Having the form of a canon.

and Google give you alot of "Mass in a church"
I am really not taking the piss or anything I Genuinely want to know.

Theorem The dual of G^ is canonically isomorphic to G, that is (G^)^ = G in a canonical way.

Canonical means that there is a naturally defined map from G into (G^)^; more importantly, the map should be functorial. The canonical isomorphism is defined as follows:

I want to know How I can get this into an Everyday Conversation!

July 2, 2012 6:41:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You'll never get canonical usage of the word in everyday conversation.

I've linked this thread to the Modder's Answer page.

July 2, 2012 7:24:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If one is making a passive ability (instead of a tech) that blocks weapons from penetrating it's shields, would one use this modifier set up in the appropriate buff file?

entityModifier
    buffEntityModifierType "ChanceToIgnoreShieldsAsDamageTarget"
    value
        Level:0 -1.00000

I could never entirely figure out whether setting -1 or 1 is the correct value, I think the former is, but I'd rather check it out.

July 2, 2012 7:27:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
If one is making a passive ability (instead of a tech) that blocks weapons from penetrating it's shields, would one use this modifier set up in the appropriate buff file?

entityModifier
    buffEntityModifierType "ChanceToIgnoreShieldsAsDamageTarget"
    value
        Level:0 -1.00000

I could never entirely figure out whether setting -1 or 1 is the correct value, I think the former is, but I'd rather check it out.

-1 is guaranteed blocking.

July 2, 2012 9:03:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Does he mean Jet Li, Neo or the Queen Mum?  That will really effect the answer to this.

July 2, 2012 11:01:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SilencedHawk... a variation of #2.  Star Wars movies are considered 'canon' or the holy verse of the church of the perpetually unlaid.  Their ships are shown having weak armor and actually powerful shields, so 'canonically' is 'appearing in the original form."  Star Wars novels and comics are considered 'non-canon' star wars material.  movies are 'canon'.

Sinperium, it's Neo.  He already sliced SOASE'R and found out he IS the ONE chasing the Vasari.  Jet Li was also 'The One', but he killed the Jet Li who was chasing the Vasari in that alternate dimension; so it's up to Neo.  The Queen Mum... she's having tea and can't be bothered making anything else at the present time.  Good day, sir.

Lavo, here's what we're using for Impentrable Shields:

http://pastebin.com/J7Ub6w3K  : Imperial Impenetrable Shields

http://pastebin.com/j5S8pjy5  : Arilou Ability + Damage Reduction (multidimensionality)

http://pastebin.com/EaHqe9pi  : Triad of Creation Antaran Dampening Field + small shield restoration

Each uses a different form.  Imperial is research with base (two research items, 1 after another (tier2 is base and tier3 then applies the 3 levels of bonus), Arilou is research without base, and TOC Antaran Dampening Field having no research requirements at all.  I'm sure you could also look at BuffAdaptiveShield.entity and the ability to see how the original functions for as a leveling capitalship ability.

When we apply Imp Shields to a capitalships, it's in ability-4, which plays hell in dev.exe but not in normal executable of game, and we have to tell people not to invest ability points in it.  AI, being an idiot, will do it.

July 3, 2012 12:01:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,
Their ships are shown having weak armor and actually powerful shields, so 'canonically' is 'appearing in the original form."  Star Wars novels and comics are considered 'non-canon' star wars material.  movies are 'canon'.

This isn't true. The ISD line has very good armor, for example. It just has the very notable flaw of having exposed shield generators, which make it a juicy target for starfighters. Also, the movies aren't the "only" material considered canon in Star Wars; they are merely the "highest" order of canonicallity. The order goes Movies > Novels > Others, iirc.

July 3, 2012 1:00:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
This isn't true. The ISD line has very good armor, for example. It just has the very notable flaw of having exposed shield generators, which make it a juicy target for starfighters. Also, the movies aren't the "only" material considered canon in Star Wars; they are merely the "highest" order of canonicallity. The order goes Movies > Novels > Others, iirc.

Indeed. The Rebels might have still lost the Battle of Endor if the Executor hadn't crashed into the Death Star. Even if the thing lost all of its shields it takes a lot of firepower to blow through 19km of Durasteel plating. The bigger issue is without shields, all of your external weapons become easy targets for turbolasers and proton torpedoes, so you can quickly lose a lot of your firepower without them.

July 3, 2012 2:19:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well, we've got jedi and sith holocrons and Emperor Palpatine recloning himself over thousands of years, then there are Thrawn clones leading wasteland fleets... and a Leviathan Sith BS.

Canon smanon... they kick ass.  We toyed with the idea of the Empire having Space Mines "crewed by the finest Ewok warriors in the Empire".  But, we nixed that idea -too dark.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time: