Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[1.03-1.82 BUG] Advent Corvettes not shooting their rear and side guns after a save-load sequence

Now 100% repro

By on July 4, 2012 9:02:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

RespawnedTi...

Join Date 07/2012
+7

Thanks to the various people participating below, I've made this 100% reproducible for me. Steps:

1. Quick start a new game as Advent (Loyalist or Rebel does not matter).
  2. Build a military lab and research corvettes.
  3. Build some corvettes and send them to a nearby world to fight the militia. For now, the corvettes' side and rear guns should fire properly. (We'll break that in a moment.)
  4. While the corvettes still have something to shoot at, save the game.
  5. Load the the game from the save you've just created in the previous step.
  6. The existing Advent corvettes no longer shoot their side or rear guns. Any new Advent corvettes built from this point forward also have non-functional side & rear guns.

The bug does not happen if you save/load before any of the corvettes are built, even if the research for them is complete. Which probably explains why they work fine in new games. Also, only the save game seems to contain corrupted state; simply saving the game does not trigger the bug in the working/memory copy; you have to load the bugged save game for the bug to happen. The bug also does not happen with either the TEC or the Vasari corvettes, but only with the Advent ones. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version; Advent corvettes are bugged for me (as described above) in 1.82.

My original post from 2012 is below.

I'm not sure if this was the case in the previous versions, but in 1.03 the Vespa corvette is not shooting its rear guns at anything. I've only seen its forward beams firing. I remember that in 1.02 the TEC corvette was shooting both forward and aft guns.

Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 4, 2012 10:18:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Vespa has three weapon types...the front weapon is the beam which is easy to see...the side weapons are laser point defences while the rear is a laser, and the effects are quite similar...both weapons fire in pulses and the colors are close so it's hard to distinguish between the two...to make it even more difficult, each weapon has a firing arc so you can't even tell by the angle if it's a rear or side weapon...

It seems though that both are properly firing...you can test this by changing/removing either the side weapons or the rear weapons...it seems that the rear weapon is a little more on the blue side while the point defence is a little more on the green side...

July 4, 2012 10:23:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've not seen the side weapons fire either. Only the forward beams.

July 4, 2012 11:07:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What graphic settings are you playing at, and what is your graphics card?  This may not be an issue with the ship or effect, but a compatability issue...

Also, you may need to bump this thread on Monday so that the devs see it...it's a holiday week now so they may not be "watching" the forums...

July 4, 2012 11:11:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

GTX 560 SE, all visual set to highest. I don't hear any sound effects for Vespas' other weapons either. The lasers from the other Advent ships work fine.

In contrast, even in 1.03, the Shriken fires every mount, laser, autocannon and missiles. So, definitely a bug I'd say.

July 4, 2012 11:15:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting RespawnedTitanL10,
I don't hear any sound effects for Vespas' other weapons either. The lasers from the other Advent ships work fine.

Okay they definitely should have sound effects, that is not a good sign....

Can you get them to appear on any other graphics setting?

July 4, 2012 11:58:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, I've tried this in the developer exe. "Show Entity Info" > "Show Target Lines" & "Show Weapon State" show up to 3 targets for the Vespa allright, but the side and rear weapons on the Vespas still don't fire at all, even when they have a target acquired.

Alas there's no debug info for the weapons actually firing, but I think the best proof that they are not is the huge difference in "True DPS" displayed for the Shriken vs. the Vespas. A Shriken has for example a "Target DPS" of 8.31 and a "True DPS" of 7.439 whereas a Vespa even with all four targeting lines lit (it has four banks despite having only 3 weapons) has only a "True DPS" of 3.261 out of a "Target DPS" of 8.81.

July 4, 2012 3:17:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Did exactly what you did (for both Advent corvettes), most certainly am not getting the same results...it would actually be better if the thing was just bugged for everyone...

I can clearly see the blue pulses coming from the rear and the viridian pulses coming from the center (towards left or right)...both damage values were also comparable, and there are listed DPS values for all 4 weapon banks...

I don't know what to tell you, this is really really weird, definitely make sure you get dev attention...

May 24, 2014 11:59:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sorry for the thread necro, but as far as I can tell the bug still exists in 1.82 BETA. It seems worse in fact, I've not seen them shoot anything but the front beam now (tested with the Loyalist flavor).

May 27, 2014 10:13:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some troubleshooting thoughts (I can't say that I've observed this and as I am at work, am unable to test):

1. Try it with ALL mods disabled (if any were enabled)
  2. Completely dump the game from your PC and then reload it from Steam.  Note: I'm not talking about file verification from Steam.  I mean uninstall/delete all files associated with the game, including everything in the "Documents/My Games" area and any straggler files after uninstall in the "Program Files/Steam/SteamApps" location.  Make sure to save copies of any mods/saved games/etc you want, but don't reload them in until after you've had a chance to test if the problem has cleared up.
  3. While I doubt this is the cause, try to update your graphic's drivers anyway.  It may (potentially) even be a situation where you need to downgrade the drivers to a much older one (Knights of the Old Republic had this issue with nVidia).

I'm also curious if this problem ever cleared up for you between versions 1.03 and 1.82?

May 27, 2014 2:04:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When graphical effects aren't being played or graphics aren't being shown, it's usually because you don't have enough memory...this could be memory in your graphics card, but more likely an issue with the size of your paging file...try increasing the size of your paging file and see if all graphics appears...

Back in the day, the common "bug" was enforcers not seeming to fire anything...of course they were, some people's computers just weren't loading them because of memory issues...

May 30, 2014 6:10:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting furyofthestars,

Some troubleshooting thoughts (I can't say that I've observed this and as I am at work, am unable to test):

Try it with ALL mods disabled (if any were enabled)
Completely dump the game from your PC and then reload it from Steam.  Note: I'm not talking about file verification from Steam.  I mean uninstall/delete all files associated with the game, including everything in the "Documents/My Games" area and any straggler files after uninstall in the "Program Files/Steam/SteamApps" location.  Make sure to save copies of any mods/saved games/etc you want, but don't reload them in until after you've had a chance to test if the problem has cleared up.
While I doubt this is the cause, try to update your graphic's drivers anyway.  It may (potentially) even be a situation where you need to downgrade the drivers to a much older one (Knights of the Old Republic had this issue with nVidia).

I'm also curious if this problem ever cleared up for you between versions 1.03 and 1.82?

First I want to thank you and Seleuceia for the detailed tips. I haven't actually played the game between versions 1.03 and 1.80 because I was too busy with other stuff. If I play a replay from the "pro" thread (http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/454491/page/1/#3469005), I see the Advent corvettes there fire all their guns, sides and rear included. (There is indeed a graphics difference between these two, though not a big one; the side guns seem to shoot more densely spaced blobs.)  So it seems the problem is only in my own SP games rather than a general graphics issue with the game. I'll upload a short recording (30s or so) from a SP game of mine and maybe someone will be kind enough to tell me when they play back whether they see the rear & side guns shooting or not...

Alas, if I disable all mods, the vettes spawned with dev exe seem to shoot fine with all their guns. But my SP games use the Artificial Unintelligence mod (http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/451274/page/1/) because the SP AI/game is way lame otherwise. It would be strange if that mod causes the graphics to glitch (does no modifications to corvettes that I can find). Alas I cannot load save games that use[d] that mod with the mod disabled; doing that crashes/minidumps the game engine...

Strangely enough, I experience the problem during gameplay in the production exe even with all the mods disabled, but not in the dev exe, unless I'm watching a recording created with the production exe. So, I've uploaded a pair of save/recording to http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/69411389/file.html, which requires no mods to load (both were created with zero mods enabled, albeit the save game was made with the dev exe in order to save time, and the recording was made with the production exe, which is the only one creating issues for me now). In the recording I see the Advent vettes at the Vasari homeworld fire only their main beams (it doesn't matter for me with which exe I watch the recording with). On the other hand, if I load the save game in the dev exe, the vettes start shooting their other guns too. I'd be grateful if someone can test the following (neither should take more than a minute):

• does playing back the recording (doesn't matter in which exe) in your installation show any side/rear guns of the vettes firing?
  • does loading the save game in your production exe result in the vettes firing all their guns?

Thank you in advance.

May 30, 2014 11:03:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Definitely perform suggestion 2 from my post above.

I loaded up your replay and saved games both in my production exe and saw the bug for myself in both cases.  However, when I start a fresh game of my own, everything is fine.

May 31, 2014 4:06:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Talking about things that don't shoot, the Combat Nanite Swarm spawned by the Vasari Rankulas Battleship doesn't shoot at all. It just sits there, lol.

May 31, 2014 6:39:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting furyofthestars,

I loaded up your replay and saved games both in my production exe and saw the bug for myself in both cases.  However, when I start a fresh game of my own, everything is fine.

Thanks and wow... I'm not that crazy or poor sighted. What's most miffing in this whole shebang is how the save game can be bugged that way. I can easily imagine the recording simply not having any events recorded for the side/rear guns shooting if my game engine files are bugged somewhere. But what on earth could be wrong in the save game?? I don't expect each ships' individual guns to be saved there, but rather pulled from the entity files. Now I'm so curious I'll actually try that feature which switches save games to text mode to see if anything looks suspicious there. Otherwise, it looks indeed like I need reinstall...

June 1, 2014 3:25:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting furyofthestars,

Actually, the last sentence of your post made me finally figure out to make a 100% reproducible bug report for this. I've updated the OP for the devs to see easier how to repro this. Basically, the bug only happens if you save the game after at least one Advent corvette has been built and then you load that save game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: