Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Novalith Cannon

By on July 7, 2012 10:15:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

stevestalion

Join Date 07/2012

Just came here to say one thing. Remove the novalith cannon. I will not play the game until it is removed.

Thanks

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 7, 2012 10:16:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lol, come on... really? you can only build 4 now. And it's incredibly easy to counter with a starbase... 

Instead of complaining about the game, perhaps you should re-evaluate your play style? The game shouldn't change because you don't want to play it as intended.

July 7, 2012 10:25:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There's a couple other posts on how to deal with the Novalith, or mod it off.

Edit, links:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/419170

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/428088

I love superweapons myself. They're easy to deal with, or if they're not, they make the game end faster.

July 7, 2012 10:31:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sacrificing one upgrade point from a starbase is not a bad tradeoff for making novalith spam entirely useless. Has the added bonus of frustrating AI players into trying to attack the planet with the SB on it. Easy capship xp, just hang out by the SB. 

July 7, 2012 10:47:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Steve, before demanding something be removed, perhaps you should instead ask how you may adapt your playstyle to handle it.  People doing what you are is one of my pet peeves.  People assume that because they can't figure it out, obviously it must not have a solution and must be eliminated from the game. 

The Novalith can be countered very easily once you know how to using starbases with Auxiliary Government.  Start by building them with this upgrade on your border worlds and capital and then proceed to put them throughout your empire.  The AI is stupid and will almost always fire on border planets, even if you already have a starbase with Auxiliary Government.

Now you as many have said before you could say, "But that's a dumb idea!  Starbases cost money which puts me at a disadvantage!" but you would be forgetting the massive economic boosts a starbase is capable of having, particularly in longer games.

Novaliths can be dealt with very easily.  Unfortunately, it isn't something that the singleplayer community seems to discover on their own, leading people again and again and again to come rant and rave on the forums instead of just asking for help..

July 7, 2012 11:31:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Maybe he's just against massacring millions of innocent lives....

July 7, 2012 4:11:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The novalith seems to be a problem, but really there are 2 more fundamental problems:

1. The other superweapons are not nearly as strong:  the DE is awful, its culture is too easy to counter and even if that weren't the case, allegiance changes so slowly that it takes forever to damage the enemies economy...the damage bonus it gives is nice, but it's only for 3 minutes and these days titan abilities, microing abilities like repulse/malice, and kiting your fleet are far more crucial than raw DPS from weapons...the kostura is very useful, but not powerful...a novalith can one shot a planet and halve trade for a long time (30 min IIRC), but the kostura only disables structures for a short period of time....again, like the DE the disabled structures is useful for a battle but in the end, the ecnomic attrition that the novalith causes is far more powerful than what the other two weapons bring...kostura + planet eating is almost as good as novalithing, but requires far more work, risk, and time...
  2. The cheating AI gets massive resource bonuses, and can get novaliths far earlier than any human player ever could...if you aren't a solid MP player, expanding fast enough and ecoing quickly to support the endeavor of SBing important planets just is not viable by the time an unfair (or higher) AI can bring novaliths to bear...

So basically, the real issue is that novaliths are the strongest superweapon and the AI cheats...

July 7, 2012 4:19:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ituhata,
Sacrificing one upgrade point from a starbase is not a bad tradeoff for making novalith spam entirely useless. Has the added bonus of frustrating AI players into trying to attack the planet with the SB on it. Easy capship xp, just hang out by the SB. 

Its more tedious than actually bad.

July 7, 2012 8:49:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I wouldn't say that Novas are the strongest, just the easiest to use.

July 10, 2012 9:17:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Unfair AI with Novas has never been a problem for me. Cruel and Vicious get them sooo soon though. But they also get the other races superweapons as fast, the DE easy to counter and the Kostura the AI doesn't know how to use effectively, or else I would fear the AI getting that more then the Nova.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: