Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Adding fighter wings to ships

By on July 30, 2012 5:50:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

justinas91

Join Date 07/2012

Hi

I cant find how to set the number of wings the ship can create i have already added wings to ships that did not had wings before so the wings are grey.

How do you set the number of creatable wings?

Thankyou

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 30, 2012 8:43:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Only carrier frigates can field them without using an ability.  Capitals and titans all can though.  The variable in the entity file is commandPoints IIRC.

July 30, 2012 10:08:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks

July 30, 2012 10:22:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
Only carrier frigates can field them without using an ability.  Capitals and titans all can though.  The variable in the entity file is commandPoints IIRC.

All frigates can hold strikecraft without requiring an ability.

The variable is maxNumCommandPoints on Frigates to control how many strikecraft they get. Look at the Carrier Frigate for an example.

Also, the mesh MUST have a Hangar hardpoint or the strikecraft can spawn in unplayable areas of the map.

July 30, 2012 12:10:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

On that note Zombie, can you set your hangar ability point somewhere outside the mesh itself?  I'd like to have one spawn well behind the model in-game.

Would it be possible to create a "ring of fighters" around a model with multiple hangar points?

Also, what sort of weird spawns happen with no hangar points?  How far away and the like?

July 30, 2012 12:24:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
On that note Zombie, can you set your hangar ability point somewhere outside the mesh itself?  I'd like to have one spawn well behind the model in-game.

Would it be possible to create a "ring of fighters" around a model with multiple hangar points?

Sure, I think the limit is still 10 hangar points though.

Quoting Sinperium,
Also, what sort of weird spawns happen with no hangar points?  How far away and the like?

The can spawn out in deep space. What's funny, or not so funny, is flak register them as in the gravity well and start their 50,000 year sub-light journey to engage the strikecraft.

July 30, 2012 1:58:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
The can spawn out in deep space. What's funny, or not so funny, is flak register them as in the gravity well and start their 50,000 year sub-light journey to engage the strikecraft.

I think you've just given Sinperium a terrible idea for his troll mod.

July 30, 2012 5:19:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This does have promise....yessss.

I have a use for immobile fighters but am not liking the aesthetic.  Being able to set them in a pattern would help perfectly to solve my problem.

July 30, 2012 7:28:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh, sorry about that.  I thought it was related to role type.

July 31, 2012 12:04:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Not sure if it is related, or not, but if others have done it, and it worked. Then i guess its not related.

If you assign strike craft the ship mesh MUST have hangar points. The hangar null MUST be outside of the ship mesh, or the strike craft will spawn in an unplayable area like was said before. You dont have to mesh a new null in. How i cheated on this was to convert the mesh to text format, then copy the "Above" null info, Then paste it as a new entry, then rename it to "Hangar". Edited number of nulls on top to match. Then boom! A hangar null without having to open a modeling program.

The RoleType determines how the AI makes the ship behave in game. The StatCountType tells the AI how many of that type of ship is on the map, and if the numbers are low the AI builds more. Do not forget statcounttypes when you mod ships.

July 31, 2012 12:17:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
If you assign strike craft the ship mesh MUST have hangar points. The hangar null MUST be outside of the ship mesh, or the strike craft will spawn in an unplayable area like was said before. You dont have to mesh a new null in. How i cheated on this was to convert the mesh to text format, then copy the "Above" null info, Then paste it as a new entry, then rename it to "Hangar". Edited number of nulls on top to match. Then boom! A hangar null without having to open a modeling program.

Good info for those who may not be familiar with adding points.

March 17, 2014 9:54:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Modding my SOA2 to add strike craft to the Romulans capital ships and its not working for some reason.

So I go into CAPITALSHIP_ROMULANCOLONY.entity

added the lines for the squads:

squadTypeEntityDef:0 "SquadRomulanCombat"
squadAntiMatterCost:0 75.000000
squadTypeEntityDef:1 "SquadRomulanBomber"
squadAntiMatterCost:1 125.000000
squadTypeEntityDef:2 ""
squadAntiMatterCost:2 0.000000
squadTypeEntityDef:3 ""
squadAntiMatterCost:3 0.000000

:

:

CommandPoints
StartValue 2.000000
ValueIncreasePerLevel 0.000000

checked the mesh file and there's a Point for the Hanger already in there

But, when starting a Romulan campaign, the capital ship shows 2 points of strike craft selectable but no icons for the fighter or the bomber...  What am I missing?

The Romulan fighter / bomber works fine for the hangers, can select to build fighter/bomber.  Just no buttons to build fighter/bomber for the capital ship.

March 17, 2014 10:05:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No idea why you're having a problem with this, strike craft have already been added to that particular ship in the development version using the same entries you show.

March 17, 2014 9:47:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Weird, had to change the anti-matter cost to match that of the hanger, then can choose to build strikecraft.

March 18, 2014 6:24:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another question, how do we change the speed of strikecraft?

I open up SquadXXXBomber for example and don't see any lines about MaxLinearSpeed like in the Frigate or Capital Ship entity files.  Do we paste those lines over?

March 18, 2014 5:50:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

mitpaladin, from what I remember the strikecraft speed is controlled inside the individual strikecraft entities and not in the squads, just as the ship speeds are controlled inside the frigate/capital/titan entities and if you add unrelated lines to an entity you might be lucky and have it load but complain, or you might be unlucky and get the minidump, but most likely it will refuse to load the entity then minidump due to the error (unhandled lines) in the entity.

harpo

March 19, 2014 8:42:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cool, got it!
overlooked the individual strike craft entity files

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000016   Page Render Time: