Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Why I Post

(the way I do)

By on August 2, 2012 10:21:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

Just wanted to pass this along for those that wonder what is his deal? (I get a lot of that).

When I first came aboard the forums, getting help or answers in the modding department was like mining for diamonds on an active volcano.  If you didn't know someone and weren't already active in the MP or modding communities, then most players responses were, "Meh...noob.".

I run my own business and don't have a programming background so I have to plink away slowly and steadily on things to get where I want to be. Posting is easier than trial and error modding in ten minute segments during a workday for me.

So as I was plinking, I noticed something else...a lot of really helpless new players would come on and leave almost immediately.  Sarcastic comments, disdain and even insults were pretty normal and I could tell a lot of these new players were kids--still in school, still finding their way and just wanting to hang on the forum to be with the "cool kids".

Unless they had a lot of drive, patience and/or talent, most of them just drifted away.

I also noticed a real malaise over the pro MP crowd at that time.  A lot of "this game is dying" posts and "I've been here since 1846 but now it sucks and I quit" stuff too.

Being a science fiction addict and an old school wargamer back from the days when you did it with a pen and paper or die cut counters, I'd have died for a game like this in my youth.  So I felt a little motivated to look after it where I could.  I  started just by showing an interest in the new guys--mainly through a PM, karma or a brief comment when they posted. I could name a few who were ready to just move on and have since stayed as a result and I could name more who wanted to stay but left because no one seemed to give a rip if they were here or not.

When Major Stress started TSOP, he was the first "old hand" I'd seen who seemed to be working from the same mindset.  he was determined to be positive, contributed something and valued the game protectively.  In fact, his efforts moved the devs in no small way to bring us the very late game fixes in Diplomacy and then to bring out Rebellion.  All while a lot of other people were booing and bitching.

We have a lot of new people now who would like to be involved in what they perceive as a community.  Getting recognized or accepted by those who seem connected goes a long way to motivating them to stay.

I'm a moderate modder with a lot of incomplete or messy work, a fair modeler but lost on Sins texturing and I'm relatively new myself compared to many of you guys.  I don't post to get "noticed" or see my ego puffed (though Zombie will fall before me in the karma war).

I just really like this game.

So I think there are two kinds of people here on the forums--and only two...the ones who are helping and the ones who aren't.  I do what I can, mainly cheerleading and goofing a lot but at the end of the day, I want other people to feel like there is something good here and something for them.

There isn't anyone I dislike on this forum--though some of you post things that I have to slap my own forehead over.  We're all part of the community.  I think it's cool.

(This is what happens when I wax philosophical and have to sit by a phone waiting for a client when I'd rather be out.)

Locked Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 3, 2012 12:08:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you for sharing that great statement with us.

Several of my friends went through exactly that and left just because they were rebuffed in the forums.  (although i think they took it too personally and forgot they were anonymous)

These forums need more people like you.  

I go cry now...

August 3, 2012 12:21:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

YW.  Yeah, people leave for all their own reasons too.

Sins is really a unique game.  I've said it before but it is the closest thing to a bonafide wargame on a computer that I have ever seen.

August 3, 2012 12:25:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Age of Empires, look over here!  We don't need to fit 200 people into a barracks,  we got planets!

G'night yall!  

August 3, 2012 2:27:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hehehe

People leave because the game isnt pretty and not easy to learn,there's no matchmaking and not enouph population to play any time of  the day

You can meet every newcomer with flowers and kiss him in the butt for every friend he brings over.. it wont help because this game is not for casuals.

oh and an average match takes at least a hour.

August 3, 2012 2:43:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yep i remember when u gave me the first karma point [e digicons]:')[/e]  u believed in me sinperium and that actually made me want to contribute to the sins community more! we need more ppl like u!

August 3, 2012 5:52:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We need more Qu4rs and Mechas to prepare the n00bs for the harsh reality known as ICO...we also need more trolls for entertainment, I think most people leave the forums out of shear boredom...I mean, if you aren't a Brony, what thread right now is there to get your kicks...

Which reminds me, the "Dear Devs forum game" semifinals are coming up soon...

In all seriousness, Sinperium, I do appreciate what you have done...if nothing else, the Modders Guide you made is a fantastic starting point for newbies and certainly saves us modders from explaining the same thing over and over...well, mostly....

August 3, 2012 7:48:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That was the idea.  I also field an amazing number of PMs from spanking new players that never make the newspapers.  The majority of them deflate when they realize the effort involved in modding.

As to the fluff posting--that would be the fault of the old hands more than the new ones.  Go read some old posts.

I personally would love to have a more strictly moderated "professional" part of the forum for the game itself. 

A big part of the issue is Joe User forums being integrated with Sins.  We can't stop the crossover.

The "Dear Devs"--posted intentionally in the actual gaming part of the forum does bother me very much personally.

What is really needed is for people to take possession of parts of the forum and set the standards there.  

Start posting actual content on a regular basis.

If we don't we'll end up with the uneducated posting the bulk and the useful stuff about the actual game fading away and that's a big part of the problem now--quietness on the part of a large number of the core fans (other than complaining).

I try not to dis' young enthusiasm here--even when it is misguided--but I myself do come froma little more disciplined forum background.

My post here was just to communicate that I see the game as the end reason--not the posting.

August 4, 2012 4:57:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You get this instead of Karma for this post!

August 4, 2012 5:06:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why wouldn't you criticize them if they're wrong?  They should ask questions instead of just saying something and expecting someone to take it into account.

August 4, 2012 5:36:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
The "Dear Devs"--posted intentionally in the actual gaming part of the forum does bother me very much personally.

Well in all fairness, you sort of started the ring of troll threads...and it wouldn't be proper trolling unless it was in the Sins forum groups....

August 4, 2012 7:01:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AseOfSpadez,
Why wouldn't you criticize them if they're wrong?  They should ask questions instead of just saying something and expecting someone to take it into account.

You don't see old people wtfpwning toddlers with their walkers at the mall, do you?  Same for forums.  Newbies are just that.  I have to remember that every now and then too and remember they are people, not points like cats that stray into the street.

to nurture, not per smack to their forehead.

August 5, 2012 10:29:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Of course--what is really best in life:

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

August 5, 2012 10:56:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i did quite enjoy reading that, very nice...

August 6, 2012 12:48:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

So that must be what the space ponies are for...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time: