Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion v1.04 Change Log

By on August 20, 2012 10:43:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yarlen

Join Date 01/2005
+228

Ironclad Games and Stardock Entertainment are pleased to present the 1.04 update notes for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion to customers. You may need to restart the Steam client if the update doesn't initially appear.

NOTE: VERSION 1.04 IS NOT SAVE GAME COMPATIBLE WITH PREVIOUS UPDATES.

Version 1.04 Change Log:

[ Graphics ]

• Added new loading screen image.
  • Fixed some button highlight bugs in the create mission system.
  • Updated UI not to display game speed Infocards in multiplayer matches.
  • Updated texture on Advent Rebel Titan.
  • Updated texture on Vasari Loyalist Titan.
  • Fixed Resource Drain particle on Vasari Colony capital ship that would start past moon/asteroids.

[ Gameplay ]

• Added five new maps:  Kabel, The Art of War, Triple Entente, Unstable Alliance and Random Huge - Ring. (Special thanks to Pbhead and Goafan77 for assisting with some of these.)
  • Added new Corvette weapon damage type which all corvettes now use for their fore/aft weapons.
  • Updated Corvette damage balance per new weapon damage type.
  • The maximum number of superweapons a faction can field is now based on the number of planets they own. By default a faction can field 1 superweapon for every 4 owned gravity wells.
  • The Frigate target filter will no longer improperly target Corvettes.
  • Fixed bug with aiUseTime - OnlyWhenAboutToDie that was causing it not to activate in some circumstances.
  • Changed all Flagships' Overload Engines ability aiUsetime to OnlyWhenMovingThresholdDistance; reduced cooldown from 300 to 120; increased duraction from 30 to 45.
  • Players may no longer contract Pirate missions (via Diplomacy) against TEC Rebel factions who have researched Truce Amongst Rogues.
  • Destroyed Titans now cost an additional 10% per level in resources and build time.
  • Steam Cloud saves are now fully functional in multiplayer.
  • Pirates -
    • Pirate raiders will no longer linger at the Pirate planet when their missions are complete. They will now despawn after returning to base.
  • TEC (All)
    • Corsev Battlecruiser: Capped the maximum number of targets on Demolition Teams to 25 from unlimited.
    • Corsev Battlecruiser: Updated Demolition Teams autocast to target Boarded vessels.
    • Updated Proximity Mines to have a small HP restore rate.
  • TEC Loyalists
    • Novalith Deregulation now allows TEC Loyalists to field 2 superweapons for every 4 owned gravity wells.
    • Fixed bug that caused the bonuses from Hardened Defenses to only be applied to Gauss Turrets.
    • Removed duplicate PlanetModule entry in Disruption Matrix target filter. This was replaced with a Titan entry.
  • TEC Rebels
    • Changed Snipe aiUseTime to IsCapitalShipOrStarbaseOrTitan.
  • Advent Loyalists
    • Changed Coward's Submission to no longer convert friendly ships, Flagships, starbase constructors or temporary/illusion ships.
    • The culture benefits of Global Unity will now properly dissipate if the player doesn't maintain enough research labs for the subject.
    • Fury of the Unity damage bonus increased from 10% to 20%.
    • Assimilated Populace updated to now provided 20 population every 60 seconds, three times.
    • Coronata Titan:  Unity Mass changes - aiUseTime changed to IsCapitalShipOrStarbaseOrTitan; antimatter cost changed from 65/70/75/80 to 80/75/70/65; base damage increased from 1000/1500/2000/2500 to 2500/3500/4500/5500; damagetype changed from Physical to Energy.
  • Advent Rebels
    • Expulsion now uses a new buff modifier and will only modify existing culture, not create new culture.
    • Eradica Titan:  Strength of the Fallen duration increased to 400 from 120.
    • Eradica Titan:  Unyielding Will re-designed - the effects now scale as the titan takes hull damage (75%/50%/25%), granting higher levels of ability cooldown, antimatter restoration and damage negation. When destroyed, the Eradica become invulnerable and may chase enemies down.
    • Updated string for Protection of the Unity to make it clear the effect only works within the player's culture.
  • Vasari (All)
    • Rankulas' Create Combat/Assault/Support Naintes and Reassemble abilities are now untargeted. The nano ship will appear adjacent to the caster.
    • Updated nanite swarm strings to indicate the ability is no longer targeted.
    • Changed Disintegration aiUseTime to IsCapitalShipOrStarbaseOrTitan.
  • Vasari Loyalists
    • Vorastra Titan: Fixed bug that caused the Maw's attract range to be slightly lower than its target range.
    • Vorastra Titan: Removed Corvettes from the Maw's target filter.
    • Stripped to the Core scuttle time is now dependent on the planet being stripped:  Asteroids/Dead Asteroids - 60 seconds; Desert - 240 seconds; Ice - 260 seconds; Volcanic - 280 seconds; Terran - 300 seconds; Home worlds - 400 seconds.
    • Stripped to the Core income is now affected by Fleet Upkeep penalties.
    • Shipboard Labs has been split into two research subjects:
      • Shipboard Labs (Tier 7) will grant 1 military lab per capital ship.
      • Empire Integration (Tier 7) will grant 1 civilian lab per capital ship.
    • Civilian Evacuations income bonus is now affected by the global Income Speed option.
    • The Capital Loss voiceover will no longer play if you haven't actually lost due to Mobile Rulership.
  • Vasari Rebels
    • Moved Starbase Mobilization from Defense to NonCombat tech tree with a pre-req. of Enhanced Tunneling.
    • Starbase Mobilization is now disabled if the player doesn't maintain enough labs for the research to remain active.
    • Vasari Rebel starbases now suffer a 25% weapon damage penalty for 60 seconds after exiting phase space.
    • Added an appropriate error message when a starbase fails to jump to a gravity well due to their already being a player starbase present.
    • Kultorask Titan:  Removed unintended 0 from AntiMatterRestoreRate passive upgrade.

[ Interface ]
  • Added new UI option: Empire Tree - Show Ships in Phase Space, which toggles whether ships phase jumping to other gravity wells are displayed in nodes in the Empire Tree. (Helps prevent the Empire Tree from 'jumping' around.)

[ Sound & Music ]
  • Hooked up phase charge and travel sound effects for Vasari Rebel starbases.
  • The Capital Loss voiceover will no longer play if you haven't actually lost due to Mobile Rulership.

[ Modding ]

• Added new Corvette ChanceToHitTargetType to gameplay.constants.
  • Added new Corvette weapon damage type to gameplay.constants.
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:CapitalShip 0.65
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:VeryLight 0.50
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:Light 1.5
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:Medium 0.6
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:Heavy 0.5
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:VeryHeavy 0.55
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:Module 0.35
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:Pirate 0.50
    • DamagePercentBonus:CORVETTE:Titan 0.7
  • Added cannonsPerGravityWellRatio to gameplay.constants.
  • Added cannonGravityWellRatioDenominator to gameplay.constants.
  • Added new buff modifier - CultureSpreadModifier.
  • New aiUseTargetCondition - HasBuff. Only autocasts on targets who have the specified buff.
    Form:
    aiUseTargetCondition "HasBuff"
    buffType "BuffMyBuff"
  • Increased iconBackdropDefs from 3 to 5.
  • New buffInstantActionType: ApplyBuffToFirstSpawnerNoFilterNoRange. Same usage as ApplyBuffToLastSpawnerNoFilterNoRange. 
  • Galaxy Forge Updates:
    • Added galaxy name to save file.
    • Updated GalaxyScenarioDef with planet bonuses and other additions for future maps.
    • Normalized some line endings.

[ Misc ]

• Fixed bug that caused some of the research achievements not to unlock.
  • Removed un-needed semicolon in gameplay.constants after enemyDPSInOrbitBodyISquadOwnerBuildRateScalar.
  • Fixed incorrect effect entry in PlanetAsteroidBelt.entity for Stripped to the Core particle.
  • Removed un-needed tilde from Effect_CoinDrop in SoundEffects.sounddata.
  • Truncated file locations from all particle files.
  • Various optimizations made to movement, IAttacker and rendering systems for improved performance.
  • Removed un-needed .mesh extension from Vasari Loyalist Titan Factory MeshNameInfo entry.
  • Removed un-needed .mesh extension from Vasari Rebel Titan Factory MeshNameInfo entry.
  • Minor string adjustments to clarify when a ship can't phase jump.
  • Increased formation distances between frigates and capital ships to prevent ships from clustering too closely during group phase jumps (which slowed things down while they waited for formation).
  • Potential fix for iHyperspace related crash bug - this was a major culprit of many crash reports.
  • Fixed AttackPlanet bug that caused the game to crash - this was a major culprit of many crash reports.
  • Fixed a Checksum crash bug - this was another major culprit of many crash reports.
Locked Post 175 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 25, 2012 2:49:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ibnpatuta,
For Chastic Burst, I would suggest a cap on affected targets.

My only gripe is that if Chastic Burst is to get it, all titan damage AoE's should get it. As almost every titan has one I think that would be a pretty radical change to titan balance. Maybe it would be a good thing, but it needs to be very well thought out if its going to be done, and should be done across the board.

Quoting Ekko_Tek,
As far as the maps go, what size are the ones besides the Random? Are they balanced for resources/starting positions?

Quoting Ibnpatuta,
Anyway, thank you GoaFan77 and Pbhead for assisting with the new maps. I'm sure they will be awesome.

I'm actually surprised they mentioned us, so I'm not sure what I'm allowed to tell you guys. It's still impossible to balance resources from just from the map files, but if you like large coordinated team matches I think you will like the new non-Randoms.

August 25, 2012 6:18:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My biggest concern is iust how people can not be alarmed by the massive buff the coranata got. It is already a survivor which now gets a over 200% damage boost to unity mass that makes it better than a ragnorv on a defensive and offensive stand point. Prove me wrong?

August 25, 2012 11:42:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

UM is definitely going to be the defining ability of the Coronata now..  5500 (base) + 3250 (fleet) = 8750 damage...  Thrown in with Malice, that's very deadly (2625 to afflicted enemies) and is effectively the same as Sniping a capital and then firing Missile Barrage.

The AL changes are the most interesting, I'll have to say..  Certainly not how I expected a buff to come to them, but I guess we'll see how things play out.  I guess it does help bring the Advent back to combat supremacy which was always the point of the race, though that got diluted through a load of nerfs over the course of the game.

I am curious as to what exactly the devs are going for with the Coronata though.  It's starting to seem like it's supposed to be the ship of the AL, even moreso than the titans for the other races.  It can effectively instagib+spawn ships (Subjugating Assault), neutralizes a huge chunk of enemy DPS (Suppression Aura), can nuke large targets better than anything else in the game (except a lucky hit by either of the CB's+Malice, but that is incredibly hard to do and requires a very stupid opponent), and can instacap planets.

I guess the point of this buff was to give the Coronata more teeth so that it's not just a tank that slowly eats away at your fleet and reduces your damage.  It probably does give the AL more power to be aggressive which they need, so I guess we'll just have to see how this plays out.

August 25, 2012 12:25:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Really happy with the announced changes. Can't wait to play the new updated game.

August 25, 2012 12:32:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting RiddleKing,
My biggest concern is iust how people can not be alarmed by the massive buff the coranata got. It is already a survivor which now gets a over 200% damage boost to unity mass that makes it better than a ragnorv on a defensive and offensive stand point. Prove me wrong?

Well lets see, the biggest criticism of UM was that snipe was better in every way. Now the DPS values look like this.

Unity Mass: damage 2500/3500/4500/5500 with 25 second cooldown, or 100/140/180/220 DPS

Unity Mass w/ Max extra damage: 3500/5150/6900/8750 still 25 cooldown, or 140/206/276/350 DPS

Snipe: damage 1200/1600/2200/2600 with 11/10/9/8 second cooldown, or 109/160/244/325 DPS

Snipe w/ Overcharge: 2400/3200/4400/5600 still 11/10/9/8 cooldown, or 218/320/488/650 DPS.

Now its true you don't need to use another ability to get the most out of Unity Mass like Snipe, and UM is probably more antimatter efficient. But you have to take into account Snipe's longer range and that it's uninterruptable. Also the Coronata has no unlimited cap AoE attack, which all other titans have, so I'd say the Ragnarov still kills it offensively, its just UM is now in the same ballpark as snipe.

Yeah they could also throw in Malice and other nasty Advent synergies, but keeping UM much worse than snipe just to make Malice not as powerful doesn't seem fair, not least because in theory any Advent/TEC Rebel team (and we'll probably see more AR players at least) could do the same thing with snipe.

August 25, 2012 3:41:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No nerf for Wail of the Sacrificed.

August 25, 2012 4:11:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I no longer feel like Wail of the Sacrificed needs to be nerfed personally. In a game where one faction has the Deliverance Engine and another has a gun that lets you shut down all planetary structures and ignore all the rules of the game by leaping all the way across the map any time you please to attack a HW and ignore space-time in general, it seems acceptable. I think other changes would need to be made before Wail would be next in line for the nerf hammer.

August 25, 2012 5:41:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Excellent, the patch is (soon) here! Thank you for your excellent work and continueing support! 

[ Interface ] Added new UI option: Empire Tree - Show Ships in Phase Space, which toggles whether ships phase jumping to other gravity wells are displayed in nods in the Empire Tree. (Helps prevent the Empire Tree from 'jumping' around.)

Awesome!

All the stuff in Modding

Increased formation distances between frigates and capital ships to prevent ships from clustering too closely during group phase jumps (which slowed things down while they waited for formation).

Very good!

Eradica Titan:  Unyielding Will re-designed

Awesome!

Vasari Loyalists
Stripped to the Core scuttle time is now dependent on the planet being stripped:  Asteroids/Dead Asteroids - 60 seconds; Desert - 240 seconds; Ice - 260 seconds; Volcanic - 280 seconds; Terran - 300 seconds; Home worlds - 400 seconds.
Stripped to the Core income is now affected by Fleet Upkeep penalties.

Fantastic! Now you have at least a change to take back that planet in before he eats it for breakfast!

Moved Starbase Mobilization from Defense to NonCombat tech tree with a pre-req. of Enhanced Tunneling.

A step into the right direction. I still feel it is too powerful (Firepower and durability - especially the combination with shared shield tech and armor restoration. Even without those you need a lot more than 60 seconds to deal with it.... even with your main fleet there. That it cannot move anymore without the labs is certainly helpfull, too. Finally the Vasari Rebels feel the strain of losing important planets. But for now lets see how it works out in multiplayer.

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
UM is definitely going to be the defining ability of the Coronata now..  5500 (base) + 3250 (fleet) = 8750 damage...  Thrown in with Malice, that's very deadly (2625 to afflicted enemies) and is effectively the same as Sniping a capital and then firing Missile Barrage.

The AL changes are the most interesting, I'll have to say..  Certainly not how I expected a buff to come to them, but I guess we'll see how things play out.  I guess it does help bring the Advent back to combat supremacy which was always the point of the race, though that got diluted through a load of nerfs over the course of the game.

Agreed. Although I find Malice generaly a bit overrated... ever since it got capped to a comparable low number of targets.

Yes, indeed... nobody fears the wrath of the Unity anymore... And Vasari only fear that they die from evil laughter when they phase missile another level 10 capship into oblivion in something like half a minute...

Quoting Ekko_Tek,
I no longer feel like Wail of the Sacrificed needs to be nerfed personally. In a game where one faction has the Deliverance Engine and another has a gun that lets you shut down all planetary structures and ignore all the rules of the game by leaping all the way across the map any time you please to attack a HW and ignore space-time in general, it seems acceptable. I think other changes would need to be made before Wail would be next in line for the nerf hammer.

Agreed. Advent have little answer to a skilled Vasari player in late game.

August 25, 2012 5:43:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ibnpatuta,
I think that Wail is fine as is, though it could give some kind of warning (I don't really have an idea for that). For Chastic Burst, I would suggest a cap on affected targets.

I don't really agree here.  Seems kind of silly that the only titan AoE with absolutely no secondary effects or utility become the only target-capped AoE.

That said I DO thing limiting the scope of the damage is a better route then reducing damage.  I'd prefer to see Chastic Burst balanced by reducing it's damage radius and/or cooldown.

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
....8750 damage...  Thrown in with Malice, that's very deadly (2625 to afflicted enemies) and is effectively .....

At the risk of being irritating my inner math geek demands I remind you that malice is calculated after mitigation to the main target.  Unity mass will generally be used on capitalships & titans(-25% ability damage armor type), which also have a minimum shield mitigation of 17%.

This means at the very least Unity Mass damage will be reduced to 5446 damage- and lower if the ship in question has more then 17% shield mitigation.  At 5446 damage at least 2200 is likely to be dealt to the capitalship's hull, which chaves off at least another 500 damage or so.  So at most we're looking at a damage of about 5000- which for malice will result in 1500 damage propagated(which is then reduced as normal by the secondary targets' defenses).

Of course that's still VERY respectable AoE damage, to say nothing of the enormous single target spike- I simply feel compelled to speak up when people forget that Malice damage essentially goes through mitigation twice as the 30% damge is taken post-mitigation to the original damage targets. My inner math geek can get a bit antsy about errors in number crunches  

August 25, 2012 7:54:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When is this going on Live?

NM Guess I need glases

August 25, 2012 9:14:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting just_jim,
This is just a pet peeve... lol... but can someone please address the Players "InGameName" option in galaxy forge... please???  I know it's a little thing compaired to balancing out the game, but I love making custom maps of different combat situations, and I would love to be able to actually use it and have the ability to name an opposing faction in a single player game, like it's supposed to.

Thanks! 
I have been wanting this since te first galaxyforge back in 1.02.

harpo

August 25, 2012 11:45:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I haven't been around for awhile but seeing this makes me very happy, I can not wait till Tuesday, very happy with yet another boost to the Coronata, teeheh I'm sure I will still be one of the rare AL players out there but now, you guys hated me before just wait now lmao, revenge awaits....

August 26, 2012 12:29:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, i'm glad to have been a small part of many the discussions where some of these changes were debated. 

I'm quite surprised and thrilled that even one of my suggestions made it to the page. 

Give this to the devs, they have come round and it seems that they respect their player's accurate inputs a lot more then they used to.

I'm quite surprised that they redesigned Unyeilding will on the Eradica, and Unity Mass on the Coronata. I'll be testing these asap to see how this changes the long term potency of both factions. 

Now you will hear the Coronata bells tolling your doom oh noobies and pros alike, and this time you will be afraid!

August 26, 2012 12:43:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting sareth01,
Well, i'm glad to have been a small part of many the discussions where some of these changes were debated.

I'm quite surprised and thrilled that even one of my suggestions made it to the page.

Give this to the devs, they have come round and it seems that they respect their player's accurate inputs a lot more then they used to.

I'm quite surprised that they redesigned Unyeilding will on the Eradica, and Unity Mass on the Coronata. I'll be testing these asap to see how this changes the long term potency of both factions.

Now you will hear the Coronata bells tolling your doom oh noobies and pros alike, and this time you will be afraid!

Indeed good sir, oh how I have waited for this glorious day!

August 26, 2012 3:53:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The coranata was strong when suppression was maxed but now its down right terrifying offensively esp with guardians.  

August 26, 2012 9:04:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting RiddleKing,
The coranata was strong when suppression was maxed but now its down right terrifying offensively esp with guardians.  

So maybe we'll have a titan that's competitive without being an AoE monster that trivializes frigates?

Well to be fair it's very possible Unity Mass could end up a bit too strong- but I'd sooner defer judgement until the patch actually comes rather then doomsay now.  

Besides, even if it is on the strong side I doubt it will break the Advent Loyals- they don't exactly have much going for them at the moment.  Worst case scenario they get a crutch to lean on until their kit gets some more love(we've long since seen with the Advent rebels that 1-2 somewhat OP tools can keep an otherwise unimpressive faction plenty competitive).

August 27, 2012 1:27:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

EDIT Note: I wrote this at 1:30 AM while half-asleep.  Take any absurdities I say hereafter with a grain of salt.

Honestly, if we go back to the days of yore, we have the three races, Advent, TEC, and Vasari, each with their own strengths and weaknesses as well as a focus in which they are supreme as well as a sub-component that added to them and made them less one-dimensional.  

TEC: economic supremacy with the ability to spam cheap quick units.  They get early trade and ultimately get Pervasive Economy and can use Novaliths for economic warfare.  Various upgrades also contribute to their ability to build quickly, including things like Industrial Juggernaut or even Colonize+ on the Akkan.

Vasari: unparalleled mobility with reliance on research.  It has always been the case that a late-game Vasari player is something to be feared simply due to the fact that Kosturas and Phase Missiles will mess you up.  They can be anywhere at any time and attack however they see fit.

Advent: combat synergy and assimilation.  The Advent at the beginning were incredibly powerful and between Illuminators, Guardians, the Holy Trinity (or the new Holy Trinity), and the Battleball in general, their fleets were incredibly difficult to take down while if they landed a single AoE on you, you would be doomed due to uncapped Malice.  They also would win culture wars, though this was never much of an impact on the game because as far as gameplay is concerned, this is just a "build a building to counter them" mechanic and requires minimal action by a player to deal with.  Clearly many of their tactics were OP or just bugged to be OP and so they received nerfs.  Nerf after nerf hit them until eventually there wasn't a whole lot left.  Illuminators were no longer undisputed kings of DPS, the Radiance fell to obscurity from the Malice cap, and various other changes occurred as well.

Barring an overhaul of culture which will simply not happen in Sins I (maybe Sins II, but idk how much more you could do with it before it becomes too 4X'y to be useful in a game with similar pacing), the only alternative buff for the Advent as a conceptualized race would be to buff their military.  It is known that the Advent suck economically.  Resource Focus is regarded under nearly every circumstance as a stupid idea and they do not have the economic boosts the other races have.  The Vasari can scavenge resources from dead ships and the TEC can pull money out of nowhere.  This is supposed to be the case I think.  Perhaps we have been trying too hard to pound the square militaristic Advent peg into a round hole that we think would be balanced.

With the advent of Rebellion (no pun intended), races were split.  TEC was split straight down aggression/defense.  The Vasari were split down research/mobility.  The Advent got a messier break.  The AR are effectively a new race to themselves.  They are no longer interested in assimilating or revenge.  Their sole purpose is now to transcend existence as we know it.  The AL was supposed to be the Advent we know and love, but really, because the AR got more military focus (Chastic Burst > most; Chastic Burst+Malice > all), the AL got relegated to the back seat: culture.

While culture may seem like a perfect idea for the focus of a race, it isn't in its current form.  If you had to manage it more, it would be.  It's a bit like diplomacy: build a unit; problem solved.  The lack of depth and more importantly activity required by the player to use it as a tool against the enemy is the problem.  If you spent 30% of the time you spent working on your fleet with culture once you got it up, it would  definitely impact gameplay and would make the AL's focus on it work.

This of course would take exorbitant amounts of time that the devs don't have, especially this late into the product's life-cycle.

The result is that the AL too must become more powerful in combat to make up for it's shortcomings elsewhere.  It's for this reason, that the more I think about the Unity Mass buff, the more I don't mind it.  So what if the Advent have the best military?  Wasn't that the original point?  So long as they are sufficiently weak economically (so TEC can beat them), they should be relatively balanced (as Vasari have Phase Missiles which neuter Advent ships).

Maybe it's just me, but I think the formula that the devs had at the beginning: economy, mobility, military for the races was a winning one.  It needed refinement of course, but it was something that could work wonderfully.  I think that with time, this formula got diluted and the point of the Advent in particular was forgotten.  I'm not saying they didn't need to be nerfed.  There were definitely severe balance issues with Vanilla, but I think by now you know what I mean.

Yes, I'm biased.  When I first got the game, I tried TEC and got my butt kicked consistently by the AI.  I didn't want to try the Vasari because I felt they'd have some funky playstyle that I wouldn't understand, so I played Advent and adored the race.  As time passed and nerfbats whacked them, I felt more and more like I wanted to play the Advent than I actually did if that makes sense.  I wanted to be able to play them as much as I wanted, and this is especially true of the AL.  Over time I shifted to the Vasari as I never could enjoy playing as the TEC very much.  I'm sure this bias is why I've adjusted the Advent more in Rebalanced Races more than the other races.

Even accounting for the bias, I still think that this may well be a good direction to go in.  Call me crazy, but honestly, the more and more I think about it, the more I'm fine with this change.

Anyways, it's 1:30 AM here and I'm rambling, so I'm having tons of typos due to sleepiness, so I'm going to stop now.  I hope my convolutions made sense.

August 27, 2012 5:10:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Good changes!!!

I still don´t understand Fury of the Unity.

Now it will be like 5 > 20%, right? BUt where does that 5% comes from?? Does culture give a 5% damage post without upgrades? : o 

August 27, 2012 10:26:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Vatticson,
Does culture give a 5% damage post without upgrades? : o

Yes...many research modifiers (virtually any one that is numerical in nature) have a "base" value and "per level" value...the base value allows you to grant bonuses to the faction that don't require the technology to be researched...the AR also have this with their tech that brings back destroyed ships...

August 27, 2012 10:27:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Which made me think of a bug....Reanimation has a base percent chance to reanimate destroyed enemy ships...however, there is no base value for the duration of the ship, so what frequently happens is that you get an enemy ship for half a second, but then it dissappears...most likely a bug, either the percent chance should have no base value or the duration should...

August 27, 2012 3:34:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just noticed that there is no mention of Phase Cannons or Pulse Waves on there.  I hope they come back some day..

August 27, 2012 4:41:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,
I just noticed that there is no mention of Phase Cannons or Pulse Waves on there. I hope they come back some day..

Only in mods. You are the only one that seems to care about them Volt, a bit like that guy who obsesses about the Korsev only firing nukes from one side.

August 27, 2012 4:48:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
Only in mods. You are the only one that seems to care about them Volt, a bit like that guy who obsesses about the Korsev only firing nukes from one side.

[e digicons]:'([/e]

August 27, 2012 7:36:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Quoting bilun, reply 19Also @Yarlen: I have a quick question I've been meaning to ask on the topic of the Advent Loyals:  Since implementation The Coronata's Repossession has never applied on-colonization effects, most notably Assimilated Populace, which especially now with assimilated populace being buffed is going to matter.  My question is this: Is this a bug as most people assume or was it a concious decision on the part of the development team to avoid that particular synergy?

This is intentional as Repossession isn't a 'colonize' effect, it is literally mind controlling the existing population permanently.

But how can that be if you don't get the population upgrades (IIRC, it's been a little while since I played AL)?  Are you just mind controlling a subset of them and then have to spend money arming them with cudgels to get the rest in line?

August 27, 2012 7:59:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Proletari,
vasari are fags

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time: