Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

To SG modding team at invasion, zombie rus, and evil jedi

Personal mod

By on August 25, 2012 7:56:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

jason8648776

Join Date 07/2008
+1

Do you think all you guys could get together and make a sweet mod that includes Cylons, Colonials, Tauri, Wraith, Goauld, Empire, Rebelion, and the stock races and make them all ballanced?

I love playing the BSG mods however they get old all on there own

Stargate invasion you guys are great but alot of bugs and very unbalanced i find myself tinkering with the ships for hours trying to get it right but it would take going back to the basics to do it

Evil Jedi your mod is great but the planets and backdrop of the galaxy lag the game badly making it unplayable

now put your colective minds together and come up with a sweet totally awesome mod including features from all the mods

Preferable diplomacy and rebelion compatiable

Thank you!

Locked Post 30 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 25, 2012 8:02:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Considering each of those modders has their own vision of what they want to do, I doubt they'll cooperate to make the mod you want.  Your best bet is to make your own mod using your own vision.  Assuming you can get permission from the various mod teams to use their assets, the biggest hurdle to custom mod content has been jumped over and all that's left is coding which is relatively much easier than making all those models and textures, if time consuming and somewhat boring.

August 25, 2012 8:06:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is EvilJedi still around anymore I thought Lavo took over the entire project?

August 25, 2012 9:37:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I decomposed a little bit more reading this 

Seriously though here's my thoughts.

It's fun to dream of combinations. I wanted Star Wars Legos as a kid which eventually happened, but much to late for me

The real problem is all of these mods are extremely fluid changing on an almost daily basis. Trying to merge them would essentially stop all development on them. 

Plus it just doesn't sound like a fun process combining mods with such different approaches and I'm almost modded out at this point so i'd rather focus on actually finishing the colonials and cylons then being distracted by things that won't add to their development.

The only combo mod I would consider personally, way way way down the road, and only when they are finished would be Star Wars: Requiem, Stargate Races, Invasion, Blood and Chrome, Maelstrom and Fallen. Basically all the expansion factions so the real work would only be resolving dependency conflicts. The odds of this actually happening are very low, but just wanted to let you know I think about what would be cool to combo up too.

August 25, 2012 10:07:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Rovert10,
Is EvilJedi still around anymore I thought Lavo took over the entire project?

He's still lurking around, though he hasn't been actively participating in SoGE for awhile.

August 26, 2012 2:46:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

August 26, 2012 12:50:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Samaz, we don't exactly have room to bash crossovers considering our mod has the Galactic Empire going up against the Arilou and the Ur-Quan.

August 26, 2012 2:24:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am not a big fan of mixing genres. There is really no way to do it right where it makes any sense (not that a single genre in itself makes sense). Every time someone asked me to mix Star Wars into Star Trek in SoA 2 it gave me shivers, and i always responded with a loud resounding HELL NO! People that do mix genres must love the inevitable trolling flame wars that result.

It also disturbs me when i see people make presumptuous post which read something like "Make this mod for me!!". Like making mods is something that is so easy to do, and that we can whip something up in an hour. Oh sure. We have nothing better to do than to gather all the modders on this forum into ONE BIG TEAM (even the retired ones), and waste all of our precious free time to make a comical, and ridiculous multi-genre mod "just for you". So i will speak for all of the modders on this forum, and respond again with a loud resounding HELL NO!! I am sure the rest of the modders on this forum will agree.

I agree that the only mod here that successfully mixed genres is Requiem. It works, because they balanced the Star Wars factions to the Sins factions. they worked within the sins limits, and didn't try to "force" the impossible.

August 26, 2012 3:27:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,
Reduced 91%Original 600 x 480

So do I need to be drunk to play 7DS?

You may as well start posting Brony pics.

Quoting SpardaSon21,
Samaz, we don't exactly have room to bash crossovers considering our mod has the Galactic Empire going up against the Arilou and the Ur-Quan.

Samaz seems to be a bit out of it posting on this forum lately

August 26, 2012 3:33:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
I agree that the only mod here that successfully mixed genres is Requiem. It works, because they balanced the Star Wars factions to the Sins factions. they worked within the sins limits, and didn't try to "force" the impossible.

August 26, 2012 3:40:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
So i will speak for all of the modders on this forum, and respond again with a loud resounding HELL NO!! I am sure the rest of the modders on this forum will agree.

QFT

Sorry to be sour grapes but to do what you ask is extremely difficult to near impossible. Just trying to mix Distant Stars (a mod that expands upon the game) with anything that adds more races to the game is borderline insane. To mix several races mods together is just too much.

August 27, 2012 1:05:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i understand its difficult otherwise i would take my meager modding skills (If you can call it modding all i can really do is set up the weapons i want within a ship (Such as changing the 304 and the Battlestars to use anti fighter weaponry to reduce lag then change the effects to a heavier round) and its abilities that are allready part of a mod) and do it myself.

I wasnt demanding anyone to do it i mearly asked. I understand modding takes time but i know it CAN be done if people really want to (Look at the BSG starwars  crossover a small group of guys made in their spare time as an example it works but could use some tweaks and more races such as stargate)

And yes i like requiem because its balanced against the orrigional races (Even though requim lags badly on my cpu ) my dream would be to have BSG SG SW the stock races and hell if people want it Star Trek as well (However starship troopers would be cool as well lol)

If the answer is no so be it i just figured it was time for the request to be put out there on my own accord

August 27, 2012 1:26:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,

[grabbing Sparda's mouth and pinching it a bit to hold it open] *We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams.

August 27, 2012 1:33:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,

To be fair, 7DS is more of a Sith Empire-like Empire from what I can tell, seeing ships which aren't even in existence in the SW-equivalent of museums being used, plus awesome looking Force powers/abilities in play, so Samaz can play the "this is all silliness in good fun" card.

That being said, this thread is terrible and the OP should feel bad for making it.

August 27, 2012 4:21:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,

Quoting SpardaSon21, reply 7Samaz, we don't exactly have room to bash crossovers considering our mod has the Galactic Empire going up against the Arilou and the Ur-Quan.

[grabbing Sparda's mouth and pinching it a bit to hold it open] *We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams.

Best way to describe modders.. We are Movers, Shapers, Dreamers, and Makers, and know many things. (The B5 fans should recognize that quote).

If i came off as harsh i do apologize. I had a really bad day. I see so many "demands" it is unbelievable. I will stick to my guns about merging the genres though. Just because we "Can" do it doesn't mean that we "Should" do it. IMO it will just open up not cans, but cases of cans of worms. We tried Star Trek vs Star wars back in the Homeworld days. Let me tell you the relentless fanboy bitching, and flame fests over stat's, and canon were enough to drive the Dali LLama insane! Plus While we could make some stuff work. It looked absolutely ridiculous in game. Too ridiculous to merge 2 genres. So the Original SoA for Homeworld was born.

August 28, 2012 2:11:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well if no be thy answer mighty moders i will continue to learn and expand my skills and eventually make it on my own

I thank you all for the help

August 28, 2012 2:21:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The one thing all the *cough* possibly biased (and always pestered) modders didn't bring up is that creating a "just for fun" competitive mod would be possible.

Rather than add all the stars, planets, orbitals, ships particles, textures and abilities from everything--just having the primary ships (and possibly special orbital structures) available in the game.

You could even skip the research trees and the like and make everything instantly available.  You could make it even more manageable by making it require map templates to use the various ships--so anyone could play any ships they wanted and no production and research muss and fuss required.

Once you decided on which things you wanted in, you could balance them against each other in the way you felt was most fair.

I'd look at it as a cross-mod demonstrator and I bet it would be fun.

I wouldn't expect the modder's from other mods to do it for you though. It is a lot of work doing all the things that go in a mod--very few of us are good at all of them or even know how to do them--and most of us have day jobs too.

Learn yourself and it will be a snap (be sure to get permissions before you "borrow" anything though).

August 28, 2012 4:24:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What Sinperium said.

If you take the time, and have the patience to learn the skills needed for modeling, texturing, or coding, and script editing. You will thank us all later, because those skills will translate into modding other newer games you decide to mod in the future when sins is long done. Perhaps it can turn even into a real paying game developer job. Like it did for a few modders i know from the SFC/BC community.

There are tons of tutorials to learn from on the boards. Granted it is a pain in the ass to search through them all. I really would like to see everything consolidated into one topic. Look at the sticky posts. If you cant find what you seek there. Search the boards. Tedious yes, but here is where patience pays off.

We don't mean to discourage you from doing your own thing. Most of us have already been down that road before. In my case several times.

What i would really like to see in a mod is Original IP. Something that has never been done before.

August 28, 2012 9:01:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll second Sinperium. You can just make all the required research (planet access, star jumping, etc) one single research item and give it to every faction and then focus on ships. Alternatively you can make it a total conversion, with each faction, while having stuff from their respective canons, having different ships and fleets, and at the same time you can avoid doing things such as giving the Galactic Empire a Super Star Destroyer.

August 28, 2012 11:04:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The most fun part of it would be to really peeve fanboys with it by giving ST names to SW ships and vice versa.

"Commander Data, launch TIE shuttles!"

"Commander Needstrom, fire all phasers!".

Infocards could read things like, "Constitution class starship that made the Kessel run in 3.2 parsecs" and "Star Destroyers figured prominently in attempting to stop the Borg at Wolf 359".

Man, I can hear the outrage all the way over here.

August 28, 2012 11:42:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Or the laughter depending on your point of view

August 29, 2012 1:42:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm laughing but it's hearing the outrage that fuels it.

August 29, 2012 10:37:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd be both outraged and filled with laughter.

September 2, 2012 1:30:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lord Vader! V'ger went from suck to BLOW!! "I find her lack of faith "disturbing" Destroy her!... adm ozzel "Make it so!"

September 2, 2012 3:24:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hehe,

• "We are the Vader... rebelling is futile...your light saber's distinctiveness will be assimilated and added to our own."
  • "That's no starbase!"
  • "Captain Picard--sensors are detecting a disturbance in the force off the port bow."
  • "Jettison the mitachlorian core now officer LeForge!"
  • "Hmmm...why doesn't Starfleet use fighter craft?"
  • "Relax Luke. we'll just beam an antimatter bomb through that exhaust port for you."
  • "Transporters do not concern me commander."
  • "Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!...errr..what do you mean "transporter"?".
  • Captain, this battle will be a breeze, we've already eliminated the shields of all Imperial ships."
  • "Captain, we're being hailed by a "Yoda" but the universal translator seems to be having problems with his grammar."
  • So let me be sure I understand this...you Jedi guys fight with phasers that only have a three foot range and you have to swing by hand--is that about it?
  • "Han!  I will not give you oomax!"
  • Jar-Jar, I think you have a future working for me at Quark's Bar.  You're going to fit right in."
September 3, 2012 11:06:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

Quoting SemazRalan, reply 6Reduced 91%Original 600 x 480

So do I need to be drunk to play 7DS?

You may as well start posting Brony pics.

Quoting SpardaSon21, reply 7Samaz, we don't exactly have room to bash crossovers considering our mod has the Galactic Empire going up against the Arilou and the Ur-Quan.

Samaz seems to be a bit out of it posting on this forum lately

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: