Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Make the Original Sins Free to Play with purchasable content

By on September 2, 2012 4:41:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

RiddleKing

Join Date 04/2006
+32

I need support on this guys!!!

Benefits

Drive a critical mass of people to play the game

Competitive Game play and experience due to a higher number of players and a low barrier to entry

Revenue

1. Micro Transactions:

Purchase Starbase

Purchase Capital Ships (Carriers and Battleships pack)

Purchase Titans

Purchase Super Weapons

Purchase Maps

Purchase Heavy Cruisers  (Enforcers, Kodiaks and Crusaders pack)

2. Ad e:Revenue:

Purchase to upgrade a game to not have ads

Ads on Sins Websites and Forums

Competitors on Steam

1.Now:

Team Fortress 2

Tribes Ascend

War of Immortals

Star Trek Online

Dungeons and Dragons

etc

2. 2013:

Command and Conquer Generals 2: Frost-Bite 2       

3.To Do list:

Strip purchasable content from Rebellion build 

Setup an easy platform to purchase content globally e.g Steam Wallet (US only)

Visa, Mobile, Paypal 

Language support and market to those korean gamers: Big market in Asia-huge 

Employ me

Marketing

Free marketing business model

Just trailers or not or gameplay footage from players lol

Quotes

Wikipedia:

" the revenue from free-to-play games had overtaken revenue from premium games that earn revenue through traditional means in Apple's App Store "

Locked Post 25 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 2, 2012 5:09:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

But why don't we make other frigates purchasable? You can only build LF with the free package

September 2, 2012 5:44:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

it would fail, just like command and conquer will

its common sense

unless EA somehow gets a hold of it

September 2, 2012 6:21:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It wont fail and the trick is making the game playable on the free package vs premium packages.

E.g you can still build a mother ship and fleet composed of frigates to defeat heavy cruisers and titans through the use of carriers.

You can further extend carriers with purchasable squadrons. 

Utility cruisers like Subverters, Command Cruisers and Subjugators are also purchasable content.

The game must be playable to create a critical mass in the number of people online.

Free multiplayer entry ofcourse will usher a new era of gaming with entry players from asian, african and other third world nations. 2 dollars for a capital ship is cheap. 4 dollars for a titan is also cheap. Its pretty much amazing to think about and with each purchase you strengthen your arsenal.

Quoting 501General,
it would fail, just like command and conquer will

its common sense

unless EA somehow gets a hold of it

Its been proven that revenue of free to play games to game companies is higher and has a more liquid life span than premium content at high price. Its how revenue is generated that has you confused. Ask your self how Gametrailers.com and Ign.com generate revenue with free content from their sites. These are million dollar businesses that extend beyond your wildest dream. Think about steam and its new gamehub and community features in beta. Same thing as facebook but a facebook for games with a platform to deliver an amazing game experience-for free.

edit:

ofcourse with maps and modding you can also purchase the galaxy and forge tools.

September 2, 2012 7:39:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

Benefits

Competitive Game play and experience due to a higher number of players and a low barrier to entry

Revenue

1. Micro Transactions:

e.g Advent

Purchase Starbase

Purchase Titans

Purchase Super Weapons

Purchase Maps

Competitors on Steam

1.Now:

Team Fortress 2

Tribes Ascend

War of Immortals

Star Trek Online

Dungeons and Dragons

etc

Competitors if you do that: Any game that is not pay to win. 

2. 2013:

3.To Do list:

Strip purchasable content from Rebellion build - ARE YOU CRAZY?

Visa, Mobile, Paypal 

Employ me

Marketing

Quotes

Wikipedia:

" the revenue from free-to-play games had overtaken revenue from premium games that earn revenue through traditional means in Apple's App Store "

I understand that you want to have more people playing online, but this is not the way to achieve this. Instead you would only split up the community even further, between those who have the full content and those who dont. Not to mention you might be considerable overconfident about what people are going to buy.

Because... lets face it... after a while it will be known what upgrades are worth it..... Nobody is going to buy your Deliverance Engine Upgrade... if you understand where I am coming from.

And balancing all those different game versions.... that simple impossible.

No, no no.

The best what Ironclad/Stardock could do in this direction is probably giving the original Sins away for free. Making more people addicted to it^^. And then a well placed Rebellion advertisement... thats the way I could imagine additional revenue generated by Sins.... not any other way.

Quote:

Free to play is often times

PAY TO WIN

And there are plenty of people who simple hate that.

September 2, 2012 9:27:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

September 2, 2012 9:31:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pay to win is free to play,

Either spend money on a titan or a soda and fries. Your telling me that you can't afford it? The problem only arises by the medium of purchase. Some people don't have credit cards and bank accounts.

When you talk about the deliverence engine then your talking about balance patches.

ofc we can go as far as custom paint jobs, logos and planet types.

Please remember content can extend so far from diplomacy to security. Free to play is the future where you pay for your game a dollar at a time. Its free to play and you get to interact with all your friends anytime and participate in games for free.

theres a catch:

The free to play version of sins is multiplayer only . No more piracy crap from you no cd crackers. Pay a dollar to win lloll

September 2, 2012 9:49:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I love RiddleKing's troll posts. They are very entertaining.

Unlike some of the other attempts.

September 2, 2012 10:40:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ryat,
I love RiddleKing's troll posts. They are very entertaining.

Unlike some of the other attempts.

So true...

September 2, 2012 3:08:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know you aren't talking about me.

Actually, I think giving away vanilla Sins as the free "demo" of all the games would be very cool and tying it to a slight discount would be great.

Maybe Stardock could make a "played enough vanilla Sins to earn a discount" achievement that would register.  

September 2, 2012 3:26:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Free to play for the original Sins and all of it's content actually could be a legit idea...if people wanted the expansions they'd have to buy trinity or rebellion....only feature I'd consider disabling for the free to play would be multiplayer...

September 2, 2012 5:02:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Free to play is frankly just a horrible idea for Sins. And original Sins had a demo and I'm pretty sure rebellion will have a demo since sins is lacking one now as vanilla is no longer available anywhere.

Honestly I don't have any idea what problem you guys think you are solving.

September 2, 2012 5:14:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In this case, fail.

I'm thinking long term.  I would have bought Entrenchment or Diplomacy based on playing the demo of Sins--in fact, I played the demo before deciding to purchase.  If there had been no demo I would not have bought the game even though it looked really appealing.  If they have a Rebellion demo that's great--but I am not counting on it.

The other thing is to attract new players who are really into the game (over the long term).  Being able to lan play with freinds and mod extensively is a great hook to make you buy into the franchise of Sins.

It also is great branding PR for a company that freely gives away something great and makes them a lot more attractive for future purchases.

Games people can own and hold are ones that get returned to over and over and that keeps them open for new potential as in new releases.

That's what I was thinking...gum rescinded.

September 2, 2012 5:27:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
In this case, fail.

Fail? Rebellion already broke several Stardock records for sales. I would assume a demo is forthcoming though. 

If I had my druthers the demo or free to play version as you say would be online play only and TEC race only to increase the online presence. If we don't care about online then just release a standard demo.

September 2, 2012 6:53:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
Honestly I don't have any idea what problem you guys think you are solving

Some of us aren't here to solve problems...

September 2, 2012 8:50:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Man...you guys are mean.

It's a simple idea--by having a complete content game floating around out there for eternity, the chances of people picking it up for the first time or again as time goes by is always there.

So five years from now, some person says, "Hey--I never played that game but I always heard about it.  Want to try it with me?".

He gets Sins and goes, "Holy Cow!" then Googles StarSteamClad and buys Rebellion or Sins II or whatever.

This is the reason that games like Freespace, Homeworld and Freelancer are still floating around today--and would have no problem selling if they introduced new versions now.

I've bought old games for the first time after they had drifted away becasue of this very thing.

What downside is there to it?

Sure, a Rebellion demo would be awesome.  And we can DL it where exactly?

September 2, 2012 9:00:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For the record Sinperium, I 100% agree with you....I would ammend my original statement and say that the free to play version of original sins should not include MP nor enabled mods...checksum check at start up would prevent people from trying to overwrite the files too...

September 2, 2012 10:03:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cool. they don't have to give away the store here--just leave a legacy game that keeps the flame alive.

It's also free full versions like this that attracts not just a casual player but hard core modders and developer types who want to contribute.  With a working copy on hand they can get started before they even find a community.

September 2, 2012 10:46:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why a Multiplayer only free to play game works:

You can verify the games validity and cd key

You can drive ads to it throughout the day

Each player online becomes a source of revenue by creating traffic in viewing online content and visiting other sins websites.

How to do this:

Conversion Rate;

Create a game that directly and constantly engages the users who don't pay for purchasable content in a period of 1 year.

e,g:

Invite them to register to be part of a prize drawing or tournament etc 

A Free to play Version has no:

mods, ability to do some diplomacy(feed. pacts) forge and galaxy tools, Titans, utility cruisers , heavy cruisers and has only 1 cap.

Built in content also includes free game engine updates 

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
Free to play is frankly just a horrible idea for Sins. And original Sins had a demo and I'm pretty sure rebellion will have a demo since sins is lacking one now as vanilla is no longer available anywhere.

Honestly I don't have any idea what problem you guys think you are solving.

Creating a flexible purchasing price plan will increase the games market share ten fold. When apple made it possible to purchase 1 song for a dollar in itunes then they changed the entire music industry and made it available for anyone to own a song and not a 15 dollar cd.

Edit:

Some content should be unlocked through experience points and achievements.

September 2, 2012 11:02:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ARESIV,

quoting post

Benefits

Revenue

1. Micro Transactions:

e.g Advent

Purchase Starbase

Purchase Titans

Purchase Super Weapons

Purchase Maps

Competitors on Steam

1.Now:

Team Fortress 2

Tribes Ascend

War of Immortals

Star Trek Online

Dungeons and Dragons

etc

Competitors if you do that: Any game that is not pay to win. 

2. 2013:

3.To Do list:

Strip purchasable content from Rebellion build - ARE YOU CRAZY?

Visa, Mobile, Paypal 

Employ me

Marketing

Quotes

Wikipedia:

I understand that you want to have more people playing online, but this is not the way to achieve this. Instead you would only split up the community even further, between those who have the full content and those who dont. Not to mention you might be considerable overconfident about what people are going to buy.

Because... lets face it... after a while it will be known what upgrades are worth it..... Nobody is going to buy your Deliverance Engine Upgrade... if you understand where I am coming from.

And balancing all those different game versions.... that simple impossible.

No, no no.

The best what Ironclad/Stardock could do in this direction is probably giving the original Sins away for free. Making more people addicted to it^^. And then a well placed Rebellion advertisement... thats the way I could imagine additional revenue generated by Sins.... not any other way.

Quote:

Free to play is often times

PAY TO WIN

And there are plenty of people who simple hate that.

Is this a sophisticated counter-troll, or someone actually taking Riddleking seriously?

September 3, 2012 12:00:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting OddskiBoddski,
Is this a sophisticated counter-troll, or someone actually taking Riddleking seriously?

This is sirious business.. free to play is sirious business even for Tim sweeney the CEO of epic games (unreal,gears of war , unreal engine) thinks so: The problem is peoples way to envision the future and predict market trends. As it stands now is some of you are like the disgruntled board members who think iv lost my mind for trying to provide the game for free and you don't seem to see the source of revenue and evision how to achieve that goal.

Quote from:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/06/27/epics-tim-sweeney-says-free-to-play-is-the-future-of-gaming-industry/

"

Epic's Tim Sweeney Says Free-To-Play Is The Future Of Gaming Industry

Will Western video game developers mimic the largely Asian business model of free-to-play games built around micro-transactions? Almost certainly says Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic. And he’s not alone.

Epic, the developer behind Gears of War and the Unreal Engine, is not known for free-to-play games. But that’s probably going to change if Epic CEO, Tim Sweeney, is at all accurate in his predictions for the future of the gaming industry.

Red 5 Studios CEO Slams Publishers, Consoles - Says Free-To-Play Is The Future Of Gaming Industry
 KainContributor

Will The Next Skyrim Be Free-To-Play?

“North American and European developers are far, far behind the state of the art Asian business models,” Sweeney said at GDC Taipei. “We’ve been building these games like Gears of War where you go into the store and you buy a piece of plastic! You just buy this DVD. That is going to change rapidly.”

Noting the enormous growth of mobile gaming and the increasingly powerful hardware inside devices like the iPad, Sweeney sees a real platform convergence on the horizon, with F2P games releasing on consoles, mobile devices, and computers concurrently. The future of the gaming market will be increasingly global, and the Asian business model which has moved more and more toward freemium online games, will push Western developers in the same direction.

“Asian online games are far ahead of Western games in terms of business model, but the Western games do have a real advantage in terms of production values,” he noted.

Sweeney is hardly alone, either, with CEOs from other studios saying much the same thing. Red 5 Studios CEO, Mark Kern, has already sounded the death knell for consoles, pinning his hopes to PC and mobile gaming. This, Kern says, is a good thing.

With consoles, Kern argues, “You’re either an indie game or you’re a massive AAA, IP-backed sequel with derivative gameplay that’s rehashed over and over again as it’s the only safe bet you can make when you’re spending hundreds of millions of dollars.

“The failure is that there’s no middle ground. All the games in the middle that could have been made but have been squeezed out and we’ve seen all these independent studios get closed down over the last few years.”

Free to play will change all that, giving new life to middle-of-the-road gaming once again, according to Kern.

To be quite honest, I hope Sweeney and Kern are both wrong – but I fear that they’re at least partly correct. The consoles probably aren’t going away any time soon, but the way we pay for and distribute games is going to change in huge ways, for better or worse.

I find almost every free-to-play gameextremely irritating. I’d much rather try out a demo of a game and then, if I like it, go buy the full game and play my money’s worth out of it. The F2P model allows you instant access to the game, but then locks down many of its features behind a paywall.

This incompleteness is almost always a serious distraction from the game. Occasionally it works out mostly all right, as with Valve’s Team Fortress 2 (though that game has its own pay-to-win problems) but more often than not, at least the MMOs I’ve tried under the F2P model have been huge let-downs, even as they’ve become better and better games over the years. Valve will also be releasing DOTA 2 as a free-to-play title.

Free-to-play online games have advantages, to be sure, including possibly longer revenue streams for developers, and the ability to allow players to spend less, if they want to, on a game – or spend no money at all if they don’t like it. Still, the limitations outweigh the benefits.

I tried Nexon’s Vindictus out for the first time and I can’t say for sure what I found the most off-putting about the game. For one thing, the art direction in the game (and in many other Asian titles) is a bit puzzling. Is it trying to be Western but stumbling inevitably into a sort of watered-down Anime? Is this on purpose? I want some sort of tangible, cohesive design throughout a game.

The cohesiveness is further thrown off by the freemium content. Lots of features are locked behind the Vindictus paywall.

Then again, I’m not a huge MMO fan to begin with, so this may be my own bias seeping out. Either way, I find predictions of a future where each game is ruled by microtransactions quite depressing, especially if this afflicts single-player experiences as well (and with the Diablo 3 always-online requirement another likely trend, don’t expect your single-player games to survive the shift.)

There are many wonderful advances happening every day in our gaming technology. It’s too bad the business model seems to be heading in absolutely the wrong direction. Oh, and does this mean we should expect a Gears MMO sometime in the future?

Follow me on Twitter or FacebookRead my Forbes blog here.

"

September 3, 2012 4:47:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"If you'd like to try your pistol now to defeat this boss, a pistol may be purchased through DLC by clicking here."

"Great. you've decided to buy the pistol!  Did you want ammo for that?".

"You are now equipped with a pistol--loading, aiming and firing skills can be purchased now in order to use it."

"Fantastic--you are now equipped and trained in combat with a loaded pistol!  Would you like to view the combat resolution with your pistol versus this boss? Select your pay-per-view options here."

September 3, 2012 9:49:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
"If you'd like to try your pistol now to defeat this boss, a pistol may be purchased through DLC by clicking here."

"Great. you've decided to buy the pistol!  Did you want ammo for that?".

"You are now equipped with a pistol--loading, aiming and firing skills can be purchased now in order to use it."

"Fantastic--you are now equipped and trained in combat with a loaded pistol!  Would you like to view the combat resolution with your pistol versus this boss? Select your pay-per-view options here."

Thats just the worst pay for free Scenario..lol

The game will give you light frigates, long range frigates and flak. You'll be perfectly fine offensively to counter any unit.

You won't have any repair or damage negation cruisers like hoshikos etc. Balancing could help make these units a must have in multiplayer games but you could do without them so long as you let ads get to you if your not going to purchase them.

September 3, 2012 10:15:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

By RiddleKing

No. Just....No!

September 3, 2012 10:22:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And that's not a good thing I assure you.

Free to play games always, always always go down in quality, PERIOD. I have been with several games that have gone FTP, and they have ALL suffered for it. Because FTP is a camouflage for really jacking up subscription rates.

Because the P2P games can't sell you on a 19.99 or 24.99 a month subscription, they are going to hide it in the cash store, in which the game becomes P2W or Pay to Win!

P2P games are in fact more costlier to YOU the player in the end. And yes you WILL be paying.

City of Heroes, The Old Republic and Star Trek Online, are just the latest examples of this. the only reason that COH ISN'T Falling in line with the others is because most if not all of it's content was developed BEFORE they went F2P, and they have a butt load of content, so THEY are a exception to the rule. But for the most part. ALL F2P games loose in the quality department.

Sins doesn't need it, I will SOONER send Stardock $1000 check then EVER EVER have sins go F2P.

Stardock, do NOT listen to this guy, you WILL destroy yourselves and I love you guys, I mean I really love this company, I have bought every game you have ever made because they are good, and I WANT to support you.

September 3, 2012 11:07:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd prefer to pay good money for a good game up front--not for pieces of one tacked together.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000766   Page Render Time: