Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Weird custom map wormhole bug

By on September 11, 2012 8:51:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

nocturne1969

Join Date 08/2012

On custom map, created in map designer (not galaxy forge)

Ships are unable to use wormholes.   All research upgrades have been completed.   When ordered to enter wormhole, ship simply dies (stops) at edge. (but the center of the wormhole is selectable)

Note that have used wormholes on a different custom map with no issues.   Possible intermittent bug in map designer under some scenarios?

One interesting note - when I preview the map in map designer, there is no phase lane... but why would map designer sometimes create wormholes that work and sometimes not?

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 11, 2012 9:04:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Addendum - verified in map designer that in some scenarios working wormholes (e.g. with phase lane) are created and in other scenarios not... in same map...  no idea why.

September 11, 2012 9:16:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sometimes units are picky about going into the wormholes. Especially scouts, sometimes they want to explore before they actually finishing going through the wormhole.

September 12, 2012 12:53:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Its a good thought, but at this point extensive experimentation seems to indicate it's a problem with the map designer.   Specifically, if the phase lanes are shown in preview, it will work in game.  If they do not, it wont.

I've tried a very large range of scenarios - - the only thing that I can say for certain is that the "wormhole" option in the map designer does not work as expected.   In some random maps, some of the wormholes will work (but I have yet to see one with all).

The only thing that does seem to work (but defeats the purpose of a feature in a game that - - remind me -- isn't in beta anymore?) it to only allow wormholes to be created purely by using "random mix"... which again defeats the purpose of using the map designer to customize the features of the map....

Note that I have seen some other very strange behavior in addition to wormholes that "go nowhere" including wormholes with phase lanes pointing to planets or other objects (I'm not talking about the normal phase lanes, but the wormhole phase lane which can be seen by selecting the wormhole in map preview mode).  My assumption is that if you tried to use this in an actual game, it would create some sort of ugly error.

Bottom line: it's pretty clear this is a bug in the map designer.    Pretty much makes random maps unusable unless one is either willing to not use wormholes, or hope that random mix will give you what you wanted.

September 14, 2012 3:12:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nocturne 1969, i've got just the same problem as you. In random, custom maps, and galaxy forge maps, i can´t travel trough the wormholes. I suppose that is some kind of bug, don´t know. Even i reinstalled the game, but sadly, the problem persist... No one has a solution? maybe is some file or code that is uncorrect... is very frustrating play cool new donwloaded maps, and then you can´t play them

September 15, 2012 7:29:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

One additional thought / partial fix

I was able to get working wormholes in a limited scenario - I do not know which if any of these conditions are necessary or sufficient to make it work - I only know that this particular setup seems to work.

- Every star has the same number of wormholes

- The number of wormholes is fixed (e.g. 1-1 or 2-2, not 1-3)

- The wormhole listing is first in each planet group

- There is nothing else in a planet group except for Random Mix

Hope this is helpful.

September 29, 2012 5:58:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So, with this "rules" you get a full functional random map? I will check it out, and then i tell you how it goes. Thank you, Nocturne

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time: