Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

CHRIS ROBERTS--STAR CITIZEN UPDATES & INFO

Yes, awesome does exist.

By on September 19, 2012 3:15:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

Chris Roberts--the primary creator of Games such as Privater, Wing Commander and Freelancer is back in action!.

FROM THE CHAIRMAN:

Welcome!

If you’ve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, you’re still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.

With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If you’ve played my games, you’ll know that’s what I love to do.

I’m here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

I hope you’ll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.

If you register below you’ll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the game’s website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. It’s my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The link is here (and "42" is what will get you in if you get stuck).  Go enroll and let this guy know you are interested--this is the original scfi game maker who broke all the rules and did the things no one else would.

I would pay for this game in advance without even knowing what it was.

I believe the link gives you the chance to be an alpha-beta tester for the game during the next two years.  I'd highly recommend it.

I also think it would be fantastic if Stardock and Ironclad sent him a note of support (I'm just sayin'...) 

475 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 14, 2014 7:25:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting worldstrider,

When I destroy you, it will feel like fifteen of me are there...

Why?  Oh that's right, because there will still be wreckage floating around me from the other fourteen failed attempts.  So yeah, you're probably right, it'll feel like there's fifteen of you there.

EDIT: Live stream from GamesCom Friday, Aug 15th for anyone interested in checking it out 19 hours and 30 minutes from now...  Here's a link, it has a countdown so you don't have to do the math on when I post this to the time it starts...  https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14081-Star-Citizen-Live-From-Gamescom-2014

August 17, 2014 3:01:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Bison, looks like manning a turret is gonna be fun as hell.

August 17, 2014 9:25:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well I be damned!!!!

August 17, 2014 11:57:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There's also these for anyone who isn't actively following along the main RSI site:

Racing confirmed for Arena Commander version 0.9

Hangars are getting the room systems added as well as an overhaul which means that just because you qualify for a higher class hangar, doesn't necessarily mean you have to move into it.  For example, if you only qualify for the discount hangar, SelfLand's pretty much the only option, but if you qualify for the asteroid hangar, but prefer the sleek looks of the business hangar, you can go with an Aeroview hangar and entertain business clients in the proper setting.

And finally, a little teaser for FPS done by Illfonic...  I mean [Redacted].  Don't know why they keep calling it that when we've all known it for some time and CR himself has said it plenty of times.

August 18, 2014 12:59:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The FPS teaser was cool... apart from the fact that Pistol guy would be seriously dead.

You don't rush an enemy who is in a defensive position, with an automatic weapon and clear line of sight.
Even more so if you're armed with only a pistol.

R.I.P. Pistol guy

August 19, 2014 7:06:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, after having spent some time on the site and reading (or is that watching?) through the "About" section, I backed it.

I gotta say a lot of stuff is looking nice.  Now I just need to upgrade my rig....

August 20, 2014 9:49:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wintercross,

The FPS teaser was cool... apart from the fact that Pistol guy would be seriously dead.

You don't rush an enemy who is in a defensive position, with an automatic weapon and clear line of sight.
Even more so if you're armed with only a pistol.

R.I.P. Pistol guy

Well, you and I know that...  Unless he has a personal shield or he was counting on the other guy running out of ammo, or hoping to get lucky enough that his few shots are enough to keep the other guy from poking his head back out from cover to see him completely exposed like that...  He probably wound up dead and piled up in front of the other guy's cover only adding mass to that defensive position... 

Maybe things would have been different if he yelled SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Quoting furyofthestars,

Well, after having spent some time on the site and reading (or is that watching?) through the "About" section, I backed it.

I gotta say a lot of stuff is looking nice.  Now I just need to upgrade my rig....

Welcome Citizen.  =]

August 21, 2014 2:15:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,

That only works when one is utilizing no armor besides their oiled pectorals and abdominals.

August 21, 2014 4:46:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,

Quoting Stant123,

That only works when one is utilizing no armor besides their oiled pectorals and abdominals.

Movie Physics:
If you are wearing armor and you are not the main Hero, said armor will offer no protection whatsoever. It does not matter what type of armor you have. In fact, the heavier your armor the more likely you are to die from arrows, sword strikes and other weapons that the armor is supposed to protect against.

The less armor you wear, the more likely you are to avoid damage until near the end of the fight where you will take an epic wound, but keep fighting on until you get hit several more times.

Seriously. I've watched movies where a regular broadsword is slicing Gothic style plate armor like it's made of tissue paper.

:EDIT: the caveat of this rule is that hidden armor is always 100% effective. Usually the target will fall over and appear to be dead, but then he will get up as if risen from the dead, scaring the bad-guy. Then he reveals his hidden armor and the bad-guy rages. (alternate is allied good guys rush to their fallen friend only to find they are alive, cheesy and/or emotional dialogue follows)

August 22, 2014 4:45:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Wintercross,

the caveat of this rule is that hidden armor is always 100% effective. Usually the target will fall over and appear to be dead, but then he will get up as if risen from the dead, scaring the bad-guy. Then he reveals his hidden armor and the bad-guy rages. (alternate is allied good guys rush to their fallen friend only to find they are alive, cheesy and/or emotional dialogue follows)

you should write spoiler alert... I'm not not able to watch any major film now that I know the end.

I've decided to back this game due to this thread and the video showing other players manning the turrets in the big ships...

August 23, 2014 1:07:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

I've decided to back this game due to this thread and the video showing other players manning the turrets in the big ships...

Awesome, and just so you know, there's 6+ studios working on the game in parallel, so while the past 18 months has not had much to show for it, causing a lot of people to doubt, most of the modules being worked on are reaching a maturity level where things can and will be getting shown off, released and crowd tested.  Expect the next 6 months to have a lot of gameplay added.

Think of it like this, near the beginning of the project, the Murray Cup Racing was just filler background story material added by the lead writer just so he had something to keep the creative juices going in his head.  In a little less then 5 days, we'll be racing m50's and 350R's in public and private matches in Murray Cup Race Courses (or at least one of them).

Oh, and at that time we should all get and post our 'Friend Codes' so we can get matches together.  In Sinperium's case his code should be called "Code To Add If You Want Your Kill Count To Skyrocket". 

August 23, 2014 1:11:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Quoting Wintercross,

the caveat of this rule is that hidden armor is always 100% effective. Usually the target will fall over and appear to be dead, but then he will get up as if risen from the dead, scaring the bad-guy. Then he reveals his hidden armor and the bad-guy rages. (alternate is allied good guys rush to their fallen friend only to find they are alive, cheesy and/or emotional dialogue follows)

you should write spoiler alert... I'm not not able to watch any major film now that I know the end.

Oh man, sorry about the spoilers! =P

August 23, 2014 2:37:19 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

With all the stuff going on, I'm pretty excited to jump in right now. I had a slow computer when it was getting kickstarted and couldn't forsee getting a better one in the future (convincing the wife to drop a couple grand on a device that will absorb my time is a difficult task ) Now, that I've got a comp to handle it (and it handles it nicely. I'm enjoying looking at the expensive ships and saying... man can't wait till the game comes out.

Be nice if they include buying ships like at a car dealer ship where you can get in and walk around them (similar to the hanger module is now). Maybe do a arena commander type test flight for these potential ships I want to purchase, to see if I want to purchase it in game. Never liked buying a ship in freelancer and deciding that I should never have sold my other ship.

August 23, 2014 7:00:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't find the quote right now, but CR said buying ships in the game would be exactly like going to the dealer, looking at various models on a showroom floor, and getting into them to check them out.  I recall something about a test flight, but I think it was along the lines of they weren't sure how they were going to handle it if they allowed it.  Besides, there's people like me with a collection going on that you could always drop by and have a look around once we can do such a thing, even fly as crew on the bigger ships if you really want to see how it handles.

Also subscribers right now get a token each month where they get to use a ship they do not own in Arena Commander, so there's that option too.

August 23, 2014 7:56:04 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

While I can understand the interest in this game, I can't help but thinking back to the last Wing Commander game (4 I think) where the specs were so ridiculous it took 3 years for me to upgrade my computer to be able to play it. Those spending 1k (one thousand dollars!) for a game that isn't even remotely alpha blows my mind.

I hope it is everything you guys want, but I will definitely hold on to my wallet for now. 

August 23, 2014 8:05:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

That is great. As much as I like to support the game by subscribing, my salary doesn't support my habit that much.

Which ships do you have? My eye is on a freelancer. That cutlass is nice if it didn't have the pirate stigma attached to it

Do you know of a list of trade-able commodities?

August 23, 2014 9:10:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

That is great. As much as I like to support the game by subscribing, my salary doesn't support my habit that much.

Which ships do you have? My eye is on a freelancer. That cutlass is nice if it didn't have the pirate stigma attached to it

I just have an Aurora. I'd love to have some of the more fancy ships. But it will be fun building my PMC up from nothing.

The Cutlass is nice, I will probably try to get one or two for my PMC because I think it will do a good job countering pirates >=D

August 23, 2014 10:32:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You should get an organization set up.  I'll toss my Aurora in for pirate-hunting.

August 23, 2014 11:09:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Already have my own PMC; SeeD Military Solutions Specializing in covert operations but also offering regular security services as well.

August 24, 2014 4:32:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Blaze of Glory,

I hope it is everything you guys want

It will be, and then some.  And when you finally join in on the BDSSE, you'll have people like me to thank for funding it.  No publisher = no compromises. 

Quoting parrottmath,

Which ships do you have?

I've got a collection going.  For now, I have a 300I, 315P Explorer, 325A Fighter, 350R Racer, Aurora LN, Aurora LX, Aurora MR, Avenger, Caterpillar, Constellation Andromeda, Constellation Phoenix, Cutlass, F7C-M Super Hornet, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, Freelancer DUR, Freelancer MAX, Freelancer MIS, Gladiator Bomber, Gladius, M50 Interceptor, Retaliator Heavy Bomber, Starfarer Tanker, plus a Banu Merchantman, a Xi'An Khartu Scout, and a Greycat PTV to get from one end of the hangar to the other...  It's a long walk without it.  I've been offered an Idris to top off my collection, I just haven't decided if I want it yet.  I want a battleship, not a frigate.

Quoting parrottmath,

Sort of.  We know things like raw materials and finished goods will be vital to the economy and people will have to get them from one place to another, medical supplies, machinery, information and data, we know there will be a black market for trading weapons and other illegal tech, possible even small animals.  Specific items...  That we don't know yet.

I'm holding off on the whole organization thing for now.  As much as I'd like to be a part of one, I don't want to lock myself into a role only to find out I like something else better.  When we get the economy module to play with, it'll be much easier to figure this out.

August 24, 2014 6:33:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Stant123,

I'm holding off on the whole organization thing for now.  As much as I'd like to be a part of one, I don't want to lock myself into a role only to find out I like something else better.  When we get the economy module to play with, it'll be much easier to figure this out.

Exactly. I'm toying with joining an organization, but I really want to open a "bar" in space. Get some large ship and sell booze to people (either make it myself, or buy it). But that will be late in the game. In the meantime I need to figure out how to make money and to see if my "bar" in space is feasible.

"Just a simple merchant trying to make a living... working one job at a time till I can reach my dream of owning my bar."

My goodness you have an impressive collection of ships. You're hanger must be huge and probably take you 10 minutes to get from one end to the other (with that buggy). I hope to find you out in space, just to see this impressive collection

My little aurora will just be a fly on the wall when you fly that merchantman.

The frigate will be HUGE twice the size of the merchantman. Will there be a bigger player own-able capital ship at release?

August 24, 2014 11:37:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Quoting Stant123,

Exactly. I'm toying with joining an organization, but I really want to open a "bar" in space. Get some large ship and sell booze to people (either make it myself, or buy it). But that will be late in the game. In the meantime I need to figure out how to make money and to see if my "bar" in space is feasible.

"Just a simple merchant trying to make a living... working one job at a time till I can reach my dream of owning my bar."

My goodness you have an impressive collection of ships. You're hanger must be huge and probably take you 10 minutes to get from one end to the other (with that buggy). I hope to find you out in space, just to see this impressive collection

The frigate will be HUGE twice the size of the merchantman. Will there be a bigger player own-able capital ship at release?

Destroyers will be playable. Though it is not clear how getting one will work. The Bengal carriers will able to be player owned, but as far as I can gather you would have to actually capture one of the persistent military Bengal carriers and then hold it.

I'm hoping we can get some sort of civilian analogue of a battleship/carrier. Something like a huge transport barge with hangars and some point defence turrets. I'd love to use something like that as a mobile command for my PMC.
Failing that I will have to save up to get an Idris or one of those destroyers as my mobile command...
Though I'd prefer a large civilian freighter ship modified for the task...

August 25, 2014 12:51:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
But that will be late in the game. In the meantime I need to figure out how to make money and to see if my "bar" in space is feasible.

Technically, there is no late in the game since SC is basically a MMO.  Running a bar in space may be as simple as joining one of the bigger orgs that have every intention of taking control of a space station and funding your own little watering hole as part of the deal.

Of course, the Phoenix might be what you want if you want to travel and sell drinks.

Has plenty of room for the hard alcohol on the shelves, even has shadows of bottles already:

A nice little kitchen set up for beer in the fridge and glassware in the cabinets:

Has ample seating including this nice little hottub. 

Just needs mirrors to snort coke off of

We'll have to wait and see what the 890 Jump has to offer since that's supposed to be a luxury yacht.

Quoting parrottmath,

There's a "Giggity" and a "That's what she said!" in there somewhere.  Just post friend codes here and when we can visit hangars, hopefully I'll have one of mine all tricked out and looking pretty bad ass with a bunch of different rooms to hang out it.  And the buggy takes less then a minute to get from the starting point to the jumps on the stunt track on the far end of it.  It's pretty quick.

Quoting parrottmath,

The Merchantman supposedly has it's own storefront on it that you can sell from, which adds to it's size.  But yeah, 6000 freight units is pretty massive.  Can't wait to get inside of it.

Quoting parrottmath,

Difficult question to answer because it's based on your definition of 'player own-able', and 'release'.

There will be ships like the Bengal Carrier (estimated at 1 kilometer long) seen in the original promo video that are persistent in the universe (meaning you must staff it 24/7 or risk losing it without a fight since it doesn't log off when you do).  Battleships, cruisers, and frigates will be persistent as well, though the number of these is unknown.  We've been told 3 Bengals and nothing on the other ones.  I believe the Idris will be the largest non-persistent ship, but that was back when it was smaller and classed as a corvette, so things may have changed.  Probably not, but you never know, everything is still WIP.  Kind of also why I've been holding off on making that decision to buy it.  Want to know if I'm going to be paying PMC's to staff it with a couple of people in the Asian and European time zones when I can't be on.  If I have to do that, then I'm probably not going to want it.  My battleship on the other hand will have people begging me to be on it, so that shouldn't be a problem. 

So when the beta of the PU is opened up to all of us, players will be able to grab these ships and hang on to them until the beta has been completed, and since there will not be a wipe when the game is considered to be 'Released' yes, players will be in control of much much bigger ships, no they won't actually own them, unless you consider a group being in control of them ownership, then the answer would be yes, in that case.  Same with space stations.  Orgs can take over, but they'll have to be staffed 24/7 to protect them from others looking to own them.

August 25, 2014 2:29:50 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I always loved the interior of the Phoenix. I always imagined that as a place for meetings between corporate heads as they discuss plans for their empire. All the while it is escorted and fully manned complete with bar tender.

When the friend code system is in place, I'll definitely send you it.

So are these capital ships able to be destroyed? You know if they were able to be destroyed I wonder if any would be left by the games release

August 25, 2014 7:29:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

I always loved the interior of the Phoenix. I always imagined that as a place for meetings between corporate heads as they discuss plans for their empire. All the while it is escorted and fully manned complete with bar tender.

When the friend code system is in place, I'll definitely send you it.

So are these capital ships able to be destroyed? You know if they were able to be destroyed I wonder if any would be left by the games release

Well, I assume if a Bengal carrier is destroyed the UEE will build another =P

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000329   Page Render Time: