Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

CHRIS ROBERTS--STAR CITIZEN UPDATES & INFO

Yes, awesome does exist.

By on September 19, 2012 3:15:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

Chris Roberts--the primary creator of Games such as Privater, Wing Commander and Freelancer is back in action!.

FROM THE CHAIRMAN:

Welcome!

If you’ve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, you’re still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.

With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If you’ve played my games, you’ll know that’s what I love to do.

I’m here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

I hope you’ll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.

If you register below you’ll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the game’s website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. It’s my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The link is here (and "42" is what will get you in if you get stuck).  Go enroll and let this guy know you are interested--this is the original scfi game maker who broke all the rules and did the things no one else would.

I would pay for this game in advance without even knowing what it was.

I believe the link gives you the chance to be an alpha-beta tester for the game during the next two years.  I'd highly recommend it.

I also think it would be fantastic if Stardock and Ironclad sent him a note of support (I'm just sayin'...) 

475 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 3, 2013 10:43:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm really looking forward to SC, it will be THE space sim.

August 28, 2013 5:42:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So......    Hangar module is going to be released tomorrow.

• I will be sitting in my ships playing with the flight controls and making various 'flight noises' for my own amusement. (Now with 150% more pew pew)
  • I will be driving my buggy around like I stole it in preparation for the first buggy race.
  • I will find at least two ways to kill my character forcing a patch to prevent it.
  • Tomorrow means all of the nay-sayers and doubters can suck a fart out of my asshole.
  • All of you non pledgers need to go pledge now.

Why are you still reading this shameless promotion?  Go!  Pledge!  Now!  Buh-bye. 

August 30, 2013 2:47:35 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

I'm not trying to be a downer on this but mainly trying to understand.

It was asked on the first page but I didn't see anyone respond. Maybe someone thought it was a trollish post. IDK.

Anyway, the question was asked about this being the same Chris Roberts that created the movie. I ask because it was the only movie I've ever left the theater for. It was seriously that bad.

Chris, if you're reading on this, I understand what it's like to overcome some silliness in your past so if this is offensive, please accept my apologies. I'm just wondering what you may have learned in this time off.

And I do mean I can relate to this. I took about a decade off from the public eye, myself.

No, this is not a troll post. Just seriously wondering about this and if the movie itself contributed to the time away.

August 31, 2013 3:59:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes it is the same Chris Roberts.

The same CR who made Wind Commander, Freelancer, Privateer, etc.

The movie was his first attempt at doing movies after leaving the game industry.  He went on to produce several others including The Punisher, Lord of War, and Lucky Number Slevin...

His decade off was to allow the technology to catch up to his vision of what games should be able to do.  It was nothing about silliness.  His games are extremely successful.  The movies he produces are hit and miss.  He's back to making games.

September 1, 2013 12:49:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,

Yes it is the same Chris Roberts.

The same CR who made Wind Commander, Freelancer, Privateer, etc.

The movie was his first attempt at doing movies after leaving the game industry.  He went on to produce several others including The Punisher, Lord of War, and Lucky Number Slevin...

His decade off was to allow the technology to catch up to his vision of what games should be able to do.  It was nothing about silliness.  His games are extremely successful.  The movies he produces are hit and miss.  He's back to making games.

Huzzah!

September 1, 2013 8:31:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

While Star Citizen sounds interesting, I won't worry about it until I can get a ship...

September 2, 2013 5:47:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ImperatorPavel,

While Star Citizen sounds interesting, I won't worry about it until I can get a ship...

The hangar module has been released which allows you to move around outside of as well as inside your space-ship. Does this count as 'getting a ship'? 

September 2, 2013 11:42:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You've been able to get a ship for a year now.

You've been able to go inside of it for about a week now.

In 3 or 4 months, you'll be able to fly the ship...

Another 3 to 4 after that, the planet side/social module.

3 to 4 after that the FPS module, and about mid next year, the full on alpha.

But it's cool if you wanna wait until later.  Nothing we get now can't be gotten later...  Well, except for the GamesCon trophy and a couple other little hangar decorations, but to anyone who doesn't really give a damn about decorations, those things don't matter.

However, I would tell you to at least buy a skin for $5 and become a backer.  You won't get access to anything, but you'll still get all of the freebies that happen as each stretch goal is unlocked.  Free is good right?  No point in not taking advantage.  For $5...  One stretch goal alone is worth more then that.

Edit: Here's a free give away you can enter to maybe get a ship and access to the alpha and beta.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/48682/atomiku-s-super-star-citizen-giveaway-pt-3

September 3, 2013 9:57:18 AM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Stant123,

You've been able to get a ship for a year now.

You've been able to go inside of it for about a week now.

In 3 or 4 months, you'll be able to fly the ship...

Another 3 to 4 after that, the planet side/social module.

3 to 4 after that the FPS module, and about mid next year, the full on alpha.

But it's cool if you wanna wait until later.  Nothing we get now can't be gotten later...  Well, except for the GamesCon trophy and a couple other little hangar decorations, but to anyone who doesn't really give a damn about decorations, those things don't matter.

However, I would tell you to at least buy a skin for $5 and become a backer.  You won't get access to anything, but you'll still get all of the freebies that happen as each stretch goal is unlocked.  Free is good right?  No point in not taking advantage.  For $5...  One stretch goal alone is worth more then that.

Edit: Here's a free give away you can enter to maybe get a ship and access to the alpha and beta.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/48682/atomiku-s-super-star-citizen-giveaway-pt-3

You do make a rather convincing argument. 

September 3, 2013 4:14:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,

So......    Hangar module is going to be released tomorrow.

I will be sitting in my ships playing with the flight controls and making various 'flight noises' for my own amusement. (Now with 150% more pew pew)
I will be driving my buggy around like I stole it in preparation for the first buggy race.
I will find at least two ways to kill my character forcing a patch to prevent it.
Tomorrow means all of the nay-sayers and doubters can suck a fart out of my asshole.
All of you non pledgers need to go pledge now.

Why are you still reading this shameless promotion?  Go!  Pledge!  Now!  Buh-bye. 

There is no point in my pleding to something that I am not likely to ever be able to play for a very long time, even after it comes out, otherwise I would have as soon as I heard about it. I have computers that are all too old to even handle anything after the mid to late 2000s.

September 8, 2013 1:19:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Zeta1127,
I have computers that are all too old to even handle anything after the mid to late 2000s.

Zeta, just from a curiosity standpoint and hoping to be of some help.

What would be your computer build budget say, by Christmas next year? The reason that I ask is that in the last year or so prices for good performance have dropped significantly. I'm not trying to pressure you or anything, just trying to gaugehow up to speed you are with the newer pc market-place and where you may be at with a hypothetical budget.

September 8, 2013 4:24:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My budget will be $3500 or better, and all I did was put out a jar to collect change from people that come over and gave up eating fast food for lunch while at work.

Goes a little something like this.  Fast food costs about $8 a day, usually closer to $10, but it doesn't really matter.  $8 is the amount I established as what it costs, this way if we decide to go hit up a place for lunch on a Friday, I don't feel guilty about going along since I underestimated my cost.  So, $40 a week, except that I now buy bread, a meat and cheese and packets of condiments, bottled water and cans of soda to have a sandwich and some stuff to drink.  Overly estimated to costing me $16 a week on groceries which it really doesn't, it's less then half of that, but again, in case the crew decides to go somewhere for lunch I can go along and not feel guilty about being there.  Also holidays wouldn't count so this makes up for that too. So I put $24 away each week.  104 weeks over the span of 2 years and I put away $2496.

Now I started collecting change back in January.  Just have a jar out that has a note on it that asks "Spare Some Change?"  I've gotten about $400 from that already and we're just starting September.  Assuming over the next 16 months, I collect half as much I'll end up with $800 from that.

So that's $2496, plus a very modest $800 more, and I'm at $3296.  Kick in $4 more just to make it a nice round number and I'm up to $3300.  Now, I have every intention of giving my nephews the computer I'm currently on.  It's a pretty good system as is.  Vista 64bit, Core2 Quad 2.66 Ghz, 8GB ram, 2gb GTX 650 graphics, 500gb hd with plenty of space in the case to add a couple more drives, and a 500 watt psu keeping everything running.  (My current system does in fact play SC, but I'm going to get a new one anyway.)  So my current system is waaaaaaay more then a 8 and 11 year old (presently) need and considering the PC they have now is just disgustingly pathetic, 2 cores, 1gb of ram, integrated graphics...  They only play minecraft and my old Command and Conquer games on it, my sister said she'd give me $200 for my current one.  It's worth a hell of a lot more, even a year from now, but I was going to give it to them for free, so I'll take the $200 with a smile on my face and a skip in my step.  It's a great deal for them and I get a little bit more.

So that gives me $3500.  (Can be much closer to $3900 if the change I collect stays at its current pace, and well over $4000 if I wasn't so modest with how much I I save by not having fast food for lunch.)  I believe that'll buy me a pretty damned good system and all I did was pretty much nothing at all...

TL;DR
If you motivate yourself properly and put a good solid plan in place, you too can have a bad ass system by release time.

September 9, 2013 10:10:51 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

If you never did and couldn't afford to eat out every day, then you can't have a bad ass system by release time.

September 9, 2013 7:51:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I did say that was MY budget and did say that "If you motivate yourself properly and put a good solid plan in place, you too can have a bad ass system by release time."  There is always something you can do to cut back somewhere.  You're on the internet and taking the time to be a smart ass, clearly, you don't live in the 3rd world.  That means you wastefully spend somewhere.  All you have to do is find it, motivate yourself to not be wasteful in that area, take the money you would have otherwise wasted and put it away, and stick to the plan no matter how much you want to fall back into old habits.

Me not wasting money on fast food helps me save a lot of money, however the thing that's getting me to stick to it is the fact it was a healthy choice to make.  I've slimmed down some, lost 15 pounds, not that I was fat or anything to begin with, but dropping from 195 to 180lbs really does make a difference.  As much as I ignore it, I still like hearing my daughter tell me that her friends mom's are checking me out. 

September 11, 2013 6:12:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

<grin>

October 22, 2013 7:30:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Okay guys, seriously...

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13329-Introducing-The-Anvil-Hornet-Lineup

Watch the video in all of it's awesome glory.

October 22, 2013 7:34:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Makes me glad to have a Hornet. Also makes me want that bottom turret... I know what is second on my ingame "to buy" list now!

October 22, 2013 8:20:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game is like getting random surprise presents in the mail.  I forget I'm a backer for a while, remember, look in on it and find more awesomeness every time.  

Great video.  Makes me wish I had a hornet.  Of course, the next video will be just as good and will make me wish I had whatever ship that one features. 

October 22, 2013 11:55:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I grabbed the M (Super Hornet) and S (Stealth Hornet) models.  Anyone wanna ride in the back seat of my super hornet and make the pretty pew pew lights fly at some poor bastard? 

Edit: Oh, and Lavo, the Super Hornet's ball turret is pretty sickening too.  It's not in the video.

It's even more disgusting when you get right up next to it and see all of the little details. 

October 24, 2013 9:00:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dude, your hanger is insane...How many ships you have now?

October 24, 2013 9:08:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm pretty sure that's not the right ball turret, judging by the F7A. I'd rather leave the top turret swapped out for a cargo hold, at least until I get a Freelancer or something similar.

Quoting G_Bison,
Anyone wanna ride in the back seat of my super hornet and make the pretty pew pew lights fly at some poor bastard?

I'll take you up on that!

October 24, 2013 9:34:55 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

So I have two questions. 1) what does this have to do with CalCivIII? 2) Is StarDock seeing this? Is it legit? Or is it a joke? or a scam?

October 24, 2013 11:41:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting G_Bison,

Dude, your hanger is insane...How many ships you have now?

18 so far.  Feel free to stop by when the capability is there.

300I, 315P, 325A, 350R, Aurora LN, Aurora LX, Aurora MR, Avenger, Caterpillar, Constellation, Cutlass, Freelancer, Gladiator, Hornet-M, Hornet-S, M50, Retaliator, Starfarer.

Quoting Lavo_2,

I'm pretty sure that's not the right ball turret, judging by the F7A. I'd rather leave the top turret swapped out for a cargo hold, at least until I get a Freelancer or something similar.

That's the turret that comes with the Super Hornet.  Twin Gatling guns.

Quoting Lavo_2,
I'll take you up on that!

Awesome!

Quoting Lucky Jack,

So I have two questions. 1) what does this have to do with CalCivIII? 2) Is StarDock seeing this? Is it legit? Or is it a joke? or a scam?

You actually have 5 questions.

1 ) It has nothing to do with galciv 3, why would you even ask?

2A ) Stardock has seen it.  Hopefully they're backers.  If they love the PC they should be backers.
2B ) It is legit.
2C ) No not a joke.
2D ) Not a scam.

It's Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Starlancer, Freelancer, Privateer and others as well as a slew of movies). $24.6 million (so far) given to build the best damned space sim ever.  http://robertsspaceindustries.com/  Check it out.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time: