Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Will there be a Sins 2?

By on November 19, 2012 11:29:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

givemesomep...

Join Date 03/2012
+4

I know Rebellion came out 5 months ago, but do you think there will be a Sins 2? What would you want to see in the new game?

Locked Post 62 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 19, 2012 11:34:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

do you think there will be a Sins 2?

Maybe/Probably

What would you want to see in the new game?

Bigger explosions and even more anatomically suggestive Titans!

November 20, 2012 12:21:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know Rebellion came out 5 months ago, but do you think there will be a Sins 2?

Yes, but I don't think you'll hear about it for a while. Ironclad, the game studio, is working on their new game, Sins of a Dark Age, and Stardock, the publisher that did much of the work on Rebellion, just released Fallen Enchantress. I would not expect any formal announcement until Sins of a Dark Age has been launched.

November 20, 2012 6:55:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Will there be a Sins-2?  Who knows.  If so, I'd like to see:

Dual/multicore capability.

Better online multiplayer support and features.

Custom map and mod auto-download.

Some sort of a campaign that encourages the 99% of the players who are terrified of coming online to try the game online.

November 20, 2012 5:00:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If it comes...

More than 2GB of RAM
Kinda everything DirtySanchezz said
A campaign with the race chasing the Vasari(It doesn't even need to be a playable race if you ask me, just want to know what's chasing them )
More maps!
Even less lag!
Even less crashes!
More capital ships?
Prettier graphics (Like they did with rebellion, better graphics but same amount of lag)
Uhm...More game modes maybe?
Uhmmm....More diversity between the factions maybe? Or atleast some better balance between them.
It's hard to come up with more
Same/Better mod capability
Better ICO
More collectors editions!(I want to upgrade my fleet!)
Yeah...Now I'm kinda out of ideas

VERY IMPORTANT!
Another awesome intro like they did with Rebellion! Or maybe even a very long one(I know it's probaly very hard to make them that awesome ) because I just love watching the Rebellion intro fight (It looks VERY VERY Awesome!!)

November 20, 2012 6:19:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd like to see 8 factions in total. These would be the factions we got now (6) but all with their own ships and structures which would reflect their philosophy better, plus the new faction (which is then also spilt up in two subfactions).

Besides this, the multiplayer system needs a serious improvement. Also a matchmaking system would be very nice. The auto-map (and maybe mod also) download feature as Sanchezz suggested so many times would be very much appreciated. Furthermore, multicore and 64 bit OS support!

November 20, 2012 9:30:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There are really three routes Sins2 could go:

The first is revealing the enemy, the second is all three races moving on to a new galaxy, and the third is a continuation of the status quo.

The first, I feel, is the worst outcome. I feel that whatever is chasing the Vasari should be teased and hidden and hinted at, but never shown. It ruins the mystery of it.

The second brings with it interesting possibilities, New alien factions, potential new human factions (it can be assumed that human dysporia brought the species far away from the Milky Way galaxy), and a potentially novel setting (the galaxy has "quirks," like new resources or bizarre star systems). However, I feel that all three races working together to escape then starting up their old war when they get off the boat is kinda stupid and would require an entirely new casus belli and reduce the TEC to merely humans with a terran theme (and no backstory that matters anymore), the Advent to saying "well nevermind, I guess we really do want to kill or covert you all," and the Vasari to forgetting the reason they brought humanity along in the first place. It'd destroy all existing backstory.

The third option I feel is best. Same galaxy, the enemy hasn't come yet, and everyone is still at war. However, new factions, new alien races have emerged (i.e. discovered or been given FTL), and new systems are being colonized/drafted into the war effort.

I view the Sins franchise as being a less crazy version of Warhammer 40k. The apocalypse is always right around the corner, but it never comes. The situation just gets worse and worse and worse and worse and the conclusion to the war forever more distant.

I'd like to see a new planet type in Sins2, "war ravaged" - a world which has changed hands so many times it's become a radioactive wasteland.

November 20, 2012 10:02:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To be honest, I don't think a continuation is really the best route...because sins doesn't have a well developed "plot" or "storyline", the devs could totally get away with making a Sins 2 that has the exact same universe and lore as our current Sins...

Imagine this Sins 2 comes out 5 years from now...no one is going to care if it uses the same exact time frame as Sins 1, because Sins 1 has virtually no details and very little lore explanation....simply adding a campaign and actually developing a storyline would be more than enough for a second game....add on the enhanced gameplay and I really don't see anything to gain from changing the storyline/lore for Sins 2..

November 21, 2012 12:56:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Perhaps Sins 2 can be a sort of re-imagining of Rebellion/Diplomacy; expanding heavily on the lore of the universe, reworking and/or adding to the tech system, reworking the Titan set up, and expanding defensive options/structures/etc. I don't see any reason to make a "new" plot so-to-speak, not when the current lore is rather underdeveloped.

November 21, 2012 2:05:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No.  If it did come out, I'd wait a year until it dropped to $10 buck or less to be more in keeping with my expectations and so some decent patching could happen.

November 21, 2012 2:11:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins 2 i believe is inevitable considering the success of Sins. Like was said Ironclad is working on SoaDA. So i dont think we will see Sins 2 for a few years.

64 bit, and multicore support is a must have.

I would like to see Sins 2 implement what was planned for Sins 1, but didn't make it into the game. Orbiting planets, and moons. Stuff that was thought to not work like open maps, and travel range based on antimatter.

November 21, 2012 2:49:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Honestly, if they are gonna make another sins that is exactly the same as it is now, they might as well not call it sins 2, but Sins:*whatever* and make it another expasion. A real Sins 2 game should really make a difference from Sins: Rebellion otherwise they might as well release it as an expansion instead of a new game.

And honestly, I'd love if they would bring out a lot more lore, I just LOVE lore

But yeah, sins 2 should maybe bring in that mystery faction, or atleast be a bit different from what we got atm, but another expansion with a lot more lore I would support a lot

November 21, 2012 3:07:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They do need to keep the current sandbox style. However they can expand upon it by creating scripted "Historical Scenarios" simulation key battles of the TEC, Advent, and Vasari conflict. Where you must achieve certain objectives for victory. Like Liberate "this" planet, or destroy the Vasari prototype Titan before it finishes construction. That would be the closest thing to a campaign without actually having to create one.

The new game will no doubt introduce us to the "Unknown Enemy" that the Vasari have been running from that the past expansions have been leading up to this point. The minor races can play a role too if they are allowed to build, and expand instead of sit there as cannon fodder. Also we need a variety of minor factions. Not just TEC.

Diplomacy should play a bigger role. This "Unknown Enemy" could be powerful enough that one faction is no match for them. You must have allies to defeat them.

There is so much more that can be done with Sins that will not effect the existing gameplay, but expand upon it.

November 21, 2012 3:21:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Really good ideas there major--my thoughts exactly.

November 22, 2012 7:27:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally I don't think the game needs more races - I don't see how that contributes to a better game. I would like a single player campaign, more ship abilities (which would make you specialize even more), and more tech.

The amount of ships currently is ok for me. I would like more buildings with unique abilities and more customization of them.

Better grafics is also very high on the list, and specially the details of the cap ships, starbases and capships - Take a look at the X-universe ships, they look awesome.

I guess a lot of the modders would love a whole lot of stuff - so for their sake, try not to hard code to much stuff and limitations

November 22, 2012 11:33:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd like to see cruisers with more than one weapon type. Or even ships on which you can decide for yourself which weapons you would like to have on them (like being able to buy modules). Would add a lot to the diversity inside this game IMO.

Also, moving turrets!

November 22, 2012 1:02:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, really good thread this and some fine ideas.

Personally i would hope for keeping current subfactions, or at least some of them (i could see one faction comprised of TL, AR and VR with completely new ships and techs, then i would like keep TR, AL and especially VL as basically advanced versions of vanilla sins factions and then perhaps one new faction (but not what chases the Vasari).

I would like to see technical improvement of the engine (multicore, 64 bit, way better graphics), but artistic wise i would like to keep some of the current ship and structures (like my favs Kortul, Vulkoras, Orkulus, Vorastra, Ruiner, Kol, Marza, Argonev, Discord, etc...) just with more polygons and details on them... just because i consider these ships to be brilliant and therefore pointless to replace with something new and potentially less appealing.

Gameplay-wise, i want to see bit more life in the game, things like minor races or unique planets, all of that with their own special properties, abilities, ships and stuff....i mean, what bugs me most is, when you capture/bomb enemy homeworld, how it feels exactly the same like any random planet, you did the same with million times before, the game feels very repetitive and needs to be spiced up in this regard IMHO. Similarly i think some planets should have their own races/governments, basically as replacement for local militia with their own unique stuff...and you would be able to deal with them either in diplomatic or military way...some techs like currently Truce amongst Rogues would influence your ability to deal with them...

obviously for hardcore multiplayer these things would be possible to turn-off, to reduce the unwanted randomness, but for singleplayer/casual multiplayer i believe they would be great.

November 22, 2012 2:25:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Honestly, Way better graphics ain't needed, if you zoom in on things atm(Which rarely happens I think) the details are already quite high, higher graphics is fine, but not I'd have to pay for it with double the lag... 

November 23, 2012 5:34:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ezeltje299,
Honestly, Way better graphics ain't needed, if you zoom in on things atm(Which rarely happens I think) the details are already quite high, higher graphics is fine, but not I'd have to pay for it with double the lag... 

Oh, it is needed. If i zoom in, myself, i see desperate lack of polygons Seriously, i fairly like the current graphics and surely it is more than acceptable...but the game could definitely look way, way better. 

You dont have to pay with double the lag, if the game is multithreaded as it should. The lag for most people is most likely CPU-related anyway and graphics is more about proper GPU.... 

November 23, 2012 6:17:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,

Quoting ezeltje299, reply 18Honestly, Way better graphics ain't needed, if you zoom in on things atm(Which rarely happens I think) the details are already quite high, higher graphics is fine, but not I'd have to pay for it with double the lag... 

Oh, it is needed. If i zoom in, myself, i see desperate lack of polygons Seriously, i fairly like the current graphics and surely it is more than acceptable...but the game could definitely look way, way better. 

You dont have to pay with double the lag, if the game is multithreaded as it should. The lag for most people is most likely CPU-related anyway and graphics is more about proper GPU.... 

Still, I rather not get any more lag than I already am late game just for some better graphics, if i zoom in on everything highest, I find that ships look very nice atm... Oh well, We'll just see what happens I guess

November 23, 2012 2:15:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i think that planet size should be increased, lot there way to small i think

November 24, 2012 1:34:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Honestly, the only thing they really need is too multi-thread and 64 bit.

Playing the game is like looking at something ok closeup but there is this window that looks out to a great place.

There is alot here to have fun with but lag and lack of current tech usage is killing the game for me and friends.

November 24, 2012 2:37:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, SoSE is inevitable imo.

In SoSE "2", we need to see the Z axis integrated into the scheme of tactical deployment.  This single aspect could introduce an entire new dimension (pardon the pun) to the game dynamics, especially in the following manners:

The Z axis would really come into play in larger grav-wells, say "super grav-wells" at strategic choke points.  These super-wells could be the size of a star, and incorporate 2 or 3 collapsing spherical "boundaries" that could be their own mini planetary environments, complete with independent resource allocations.  Proprietors of the separate boundaries could build pji's, repairs, etc. just like a planet, but in order to utilize the connecting phase lanes, attackers would be required to control all spheres.  This would provide for huge battle arenas that would become key focus of opposing teams and allies.

Alternately, if ships were allowed to have "jump" abilities within grav-wells, using anti matter for escape or, tactical repositioning would become very critical decisions.

-Just an idea

November 24, 2012 6:00:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You mean combat on the "Z" axis. Z axis movement is already in Sins 1, but not really implemented very well for combat. If it were you would need true formations, and tactics like in Homeworld 1. Which i already suggested.

November 24, 2012 6:10:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
You mean combat on the "Z" axis. Z axis movement is already in Sins 1, but not really implemented very well for combat. If it were you would need true formations, and tactics like in Homeworld 1. Which i already suggested.
That's exactly right.  Oh, and did I mention multi-monitor support?  How cool would it be to be able to track different grav wells in addition to a separate empire tree interface in another monitor?

November 24, 2012 6:36:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just an engine upgrade would be enough for me. That the original was made before multicore and 64bit is nothing short of a tragedy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time: