Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD] SOASE Rebellion - SW Alliance - Released

By on November 27, 2012 5:50:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nomada_Firefox

Join Date 02/2008
+16

This will be my version from the Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption Alliance mods for the game Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion. The mod will add most of the space units from my other mods and probably more from other era. 

This mod will be release to the public by stages, the first stage will add the Empire and Rebel Alliance. Next stages will add the rest.

If you want know about the credits and what you will see, you can check the readme.txt from my las FOC mod.

http://firefoxccmods.com/Descargas/soasecredits.txt 

Because the SOASE mod is at development, I have not compiled a list from units and credits about it.

You can know more about my mods at http://firefoxccmods.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was my first question about SOASE at this forum. I have saved it because perhaps you found it interesting.

Hi, I was trying add a new model to the game following the iron clad documentation about it and when I was picking the texture_proyection1 for the tangent, I received this message from the program. 

I´m not very familiarized with the program because I have edited most of models from my mod with 3Dmax 8. At this case, I exported at 3dmax to obj a model with its own uv and I wanted add all the rest of the stuff at softimage.

Star Wars - Alliance Star Wars - Alliance

549 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 27, 2012 12:37:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Not to sure on the red error but it looks as though the tangent did not find its connection. 

I have had a couple issues with 3ds imports, it has been a while because I wrote a script that does it all.
Try renaming (by double clicking on)  Sample to Texture_Coordinates_AUTO

November 27, 2012 3:47:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks by the answer, when I renaming the sample, it ran one time but I did not see the exhauts points. All the other times the texture at game looked as if it had not a uv, it is strange.

November 28, 2012 5:38:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

At the end, I could convert the model, this time I tried delete everything from max because at first place I used the max files from my star wars empire at war forces of corruption mods and probably they added bad things. http://www.moddb.com/mods/foc-alliance-22x 

If you are curious, I´m editing rebellion for my own fun, if someday I finish anything new and different, perhaps I will release it but by the moment I like play the game with my very customized designs and yes many are from other creators as the great Evillejedi and many more, the list is very long, even I have models made by myself but all them (at least the space models) add very customized skins from a friend named Nawrocki and they look very very different. I recomend you take a look at my EAW mods, if somebody wants anything for a SOASE mod, only ask, I will be around here or at my personal site http://firefoxccmods.com

November 28, 2012 7:45:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do everything in max that I can and restrict activity in XSI to doing the following;

- Freeze mesh(s)

- Apply tangents to the existing UV's (yes, this means applying the tangent to the UV it's already defaulted to - if you DON'T do this, it doesn't actually apply and results in severe bugs. lolXSI)

- Remove unused materials

- Remove unused clips/sources

- Export to .XSI

The entire process takes maybe 20-30 seconds.

November 28, 2012 9:06:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That Endurance SD looks really, really nice.

November 28, 2012 1:03:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks by the tips, by the moment I could convert at least 5 models without big problems and I started to change other things as particles, I´m very surprised because compared to EAW, I find it easier of edit, of course I have a lot of resources, more of 3000 max files can help a lot. But it is easy. The unique thing that I do not like from SOASE, they are the lights from starships, perhaps I´m making some wrong but I can not find the way of make them as on EAW.

I have published screenshots from my progress and info here. http://firefoxccmods.com/index.php?topic=799.msg11354;topicseen#new

About the Endurance, if you have not seen it, I made two versions editing the fantastic models from Evillejedi, a Corellian Endurance and one KDY Endurance.

November 28, 2012 1:08:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with FirefoxCCMods.

As for the lights, do you mean the signal lights? Those are particles attached to hardpoints, actually.

November 28, 2012 1:23:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No, I was speaking from window lights. 

November 28, 2012 1:28:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Texturing scroll down to the -da.dds

November 28, 2012 2:03:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I see, I was not too wrong but if I´m not wrong, it has a fault, it does not show very small windows from starships but I think that it will be enough.

November 28, 2012 2:20:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins will show 1 pixel x 1 pixel window no problem

there are a pile if 1x1 windows here, and lots of 2x3 or 2x4

November 28, 2012 3:03:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Two questions more, how are the dds settings for the data? is there any guide about the shield mesh? 

November 28, 2012 3:58:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

how are the dds settings for the data?

Its on the link I just gave you. Please at least skim the page to see what info is there, save a lot of time.

is there any guide about the shield mesh? 

Should be just a spherical shape with a tangent map and no textures attached.

New scene, import final scaled model obj for size, no uv or materials, just want wireframe. Create a sphere, shape to ship, delete ship object mesh, add spherical UV, add tangent map to a spherical UV

November 28, 2012 7:34:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ah sorry I had not seen it but I was curious about two things more, is there any reason because the bump map must be grey or can it be purple? Must it be a DXT5 or can it be a DXT3? I ask only for the bump map because I have customized bump maps for many of the models at my EAW mod and if I saved them as DXT5, I will lose the original bump map from files.

About the data map, I read at a old tutotial some about how the dds could be a 1:5:5:5  ARGB (16 bit)? is this correct?

About the shield, very useful the information, I know that if I make it as the ship mesh, the size from the model will be higher but I have made it with the collision or shield mesh from the EAW models, they are very low poly and they are similar to the original ship.

November 28, 2012 7:46:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Nomada_Firefox,
Two questions more, how are the dds settings for the data?

Since you are familiar with Evillejedi's Defender/Nebula SD, here's an example of a regular/color texture (with 'CL' at the end) and the lighting texture ('DA' at the end).

Quoting Nomada_Firefox,
About the Endurance, if you have not seen it, I made two versions editing the fantastic models from Evillejedi, a Corellian Endurance and one KDY Endurance.

Hadn't seen the Corellian Endurance, just the KDY one. That one looks nice as well, but the KDY one is beautiful.

Quoting Lavo_2,
About the shield, very useful the information, I know that if I make it as the ship mesh, the size from the model will be higher but I have made it with the collision or shield mesh from the EAW models, they are very low poly and they are similar to the original ship.

EAW's collision and shield meshes serve the same purpose as Sins' shield meshes, just that Sins' meshes are in a separate model file.

November 28, 2012 7:50:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Nomada_Firefox,
Ah sorry I had not seen it but I was curious about two things more, is there any reason because the bump map must be grey or can it be purple? Must it be a DXT5 or can it be a DXT3? I ask only for the bump map because I have customized bump maps for many of the models at my EAW mod and if I saved them as DXT5, I will lose the original bump map from files.

About the data map, I read at a old tutotial some about how the dds could be a 1:5:5:5 ARGB (16 bit)? is this correct?

All the Rebellion models normal maps are grey, and its in a separate file. I save everything in DXT5. I don't see how saving it in DXT5 over 3 will change anything.

November 28, 2012 9:47:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks Lavo_2 by the file but there was not need of this, I looked the Warlords files at first place. In fact the origin from the textures that you added on the link is the Corellian Defender that you can find at my mod looking a little different.

but the KDY one is beautiful.[/quote]

Yes it is beautiful, I made it after the Corellian Endurance, the Corellian Endurance follow the design from a old sw guide named Cracken´s Threat Dossier, the KDY Endurance if I´m not wrong is a design from Fractalsponge following the design from the last Nebula SD.

EAW's collision and shield meshes serve the same purpose as Sins' shield meshes, just that Sins' meshes are in a separate model file.

It is similar but different, at EAW a model without collision can be selected, the shield mesh at EAW is not a collision, it is used mainly for a power to the shields ability. 

[quote who="GoaFan77" reply="17" id="3286280"]
All the Rebellion models normal maps are grey, and its in a separate file. I save everything in DXT5. I don't see how saving it in DXT5 over 3 will change anything.

Perhaps I have explained me bad. I have DXT3 files from customized bump maps for the models of my mods, they are a lot better than one bump map made by default but if I save them at DXT5, I will lose the customized bump maps.

November 28, 2012 10:21:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Someone who does textures for Sins correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can use DXT3-format image files in Sins, so there's no need for you to do custom bump maps all over again.

November 28, 2012 10:31:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Nomada_Firefox,
Thanks Lavo_2 by the file but there was not need of this, I looked the Warlords files at first place. In fact the origin from the textures that you added on the link is the Corellian Defender that you can find at my mod looking a little different.

Those are an example of how lighting works in Sins. There is the "main" texture, and the "light" texture, where the parts that emit light are green. I know that you don't need, or already have, the "main" texture.

Quoting Nomada_Firefox,
It is similar but different, at EAW a model without collision can be selected, the shield mesh at EAW is not a collision, it is used mainly for a power to the shields ability.

In Sins, a model without a shield mesh can be used as well.

Quoting SpardaSon21,
Someone who does textures for Sins correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can use DXT3-format image files in Sins, so there's no need for you to do custom bump maps all over again.

For EaW's blue bump maps all that's needed is to gray-scale them and add an alpha channel which is a copy/paste of the red channel. DXT3 should work fine.

November 28, 2012 11:24:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks by the answers. Only two more questions, can be the capital ship command points increased editing any file? what program usually use the people with sounds? 

Sorry I wrote badly this " at EAW a model without collision can be selected", at EAW a model without collision can not be selected. 

I told it before but if you want something from my mods, only ask me. 

November 28, 2012 11:31:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Nomada_Firefox,
Thanks by the answers. Only two more questions, can be the capital ship command points increased editing any file? what program usually use the people with sounds?

Yes, in the appropriate research files, like "RESEARCHSUBJECT_MAXCAPITALSHIPSTECH0.entity".

For basic things I think most people use Audacity. While all the Sins sounds/music are in .ogg format, which needs a codec, the engine does support MP3 files, just tell the game so when defining it in the SoundEffects file.

November 29, 2012 2:22:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Don't forget that sound FX are mono, or they will play over 1 speaker only. Music is stereo. I use mp3 for music so people can play the music in any player without having to get the ogg codec.

WAV is also supported, I use for testing. WAV files will fill up the 2 gig ram limit very fast though. Always keep your wav files for future editing and put the compressed ogg or mp3 in the mod.

November 29, 2012 4:30:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very useful information all this about the sounds, I did not know about the mp3 support, thanks. 

November 29, 2012 12:58:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also, is there a way to force Softimage to run on netbooks? My netbook can run 3DS Max 2012, and yet, Softimage gives me some bollocks about required screen resolution.

November 29, 2012 1:05:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nomada_Firefox, it looks like you've got a fair amount of models made and a pipeline to convert them into a Sins-usable format.  Any chance you'll end up releasing them as part of a mod?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: