Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD] Unofficial Gfx Patch (currently v1.5.05)

By on December 29, 2012 4:12:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Seleuceia

Join Date 01/2008
+238

This mod is to be used with Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (v1.5) in conjunction with the Forbidden Worlds DLC (compatibility for those without the DLC is not guaranteed).  The Unofficial GFX Patch fixes many small graphical inconsistencies or oversights in the base game.  Changes have only been made to graphics – there are no changes that affect gameplay.  This mod (in its entirety or parts thereof) may be freely used by anyone without need for acknowledgement or permission.

WARNING:  You may wish to merge this mod with others, and thus I have intentionally made sure that no manifest changes are necessary to make this mod work.  However, many meshes, textures, and brush references have adopted new naming schemes.  Some textures and meshes have simply been renamed and put in this mod for the sole purpose of maintaining compatibility with future official patches that could potentially affect assets modified by this mod.

Unofficial Gfx Patch v1.5.05 (released 6/21/13)

Unofficial Gfx Patch v1.1.01 (released 12/29/12 -- kept here in case someone wants to use my change log for a pre-Rebellion mod)

The download will include the mod as well as a detailed change log.  Below is a brief change log:

• Terran and Oceanic planet textures have been improved to be more realistic and less "like a map"
  • All planets now have appropriate pictures and icons to match with the new high-resolution textures
  • HUD icons from the Buttons_Research2 texture series have been fixed (they were all too small)
  • Fixed 2 errors that kept showing up in error logs due to some typos in a brushes file and 2 particle files
  • All Planet Bonuses now have unique icons
  • Dwarf planet nightlights now rotate at proper speed
  • Magnetic Cloud particle effect is now magenta (consistent with icons and pictures) instead of blue
  • Crystal Resource Asteroid mesh/texture now matches with icons and picture
  • All abilities for stars now have icons consistent with the associated star color...in the case of "Solar Regeneration" (which is on all stars), an unused icon is now used that is appropriate for any color of star...
  • Switched TEC orbital lab pictures
  • Switched icons for group shield and furious defenses

Please inform me of any other graphical bugs or oversights that you believe should be incorporated in this mod...

Locked Post 36 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 29, 2012 6:18:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Good Job! You found stuff that we missed in TSOP:R.  Plus i wanted to re-incorporate the old trinity planets too, but didn't get around to it yet. Would you mind if i incorporated this into the next build of TSOP? You get full credit of course.

December 29, 2012 6:28:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The hole in the Eradica.

I guess the Tech Siege frigate has issues firing from one side of it's launchers

December 29, 2012 6:46:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
Would you mind if i incorporated this into the next build of TSOP? You get full credit of course.

No problem...if you want more specific details on what was changed let me know...

In the future I may make additional changes to the "meshInfo" of each planet to make each icon/picture set appear with equal probability, as the current version was made simply to be functional...but, at the very least the proper matching of icons, pictures, and textures may save other people some time...

The icon selections for planet bonuses were also somewhat judgment calls...it seems that many of the bonuses using the cavern icon actually have two viable icons that seem to "make sense"...almost as if the devs were undecided as to which icons they liked best, and forget to finish the job...

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
The hole in the Eradica. I guess the Tech Siege frigate has issues firing from one side of it's launchers

I would like to fix these issues but I'm not sure how...I assume it's a mesh issue...if I recall, was there also not an issue with some capital ships firing from the wrong places?  Revelation and a Vasari cap I thought were affected by this, but maybe those got fixed....

December 29, 2012 6:55:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

AHHHH! I thought Stardock fixed the Eradica hole in 1.1! Along with the tech siege frig issue (From trinity TSOP). Damn! guess i better check ALL of the meshes again. The problem with the tec siege frig was one of the bomb nulls was missing. So i made a new one using the existing null, and mirrored the coordinates in the mesh file. If you have TSOP 0.7, or 0.8 the siege frig mesh is fixed in those versions.

The Marza, and Vasari scout capital were completely missing bomb nulls, but they were fixed in TSOP trinity as well. Ill compare the meshes and see what if anything is different.

December 30, 2012 3:09:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
Quoting ZombiesRus5, reply 2
The hole in the Eradica. I guess the Tech Siege frigate has issues firing from one side of it's launchers
I would like to fix these issues but I'm not sure how...I assume it's a mesh issue...if I recall, was there also not an issue with some capital ships firing from the wrong places?  Revelation and a Vasari cap I thought were affected by this, but maybe those got fixed....

I fixed this by symmetrizing the left side polygons to the right side. This also fixes the texture issue in addition to the GAPING hole on the right side 

Here's a shot of the bad texture and hole which is still broke in in the current version...

Here's the link to what should be the corrected mesh: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5790092/tsop/Titan_PsiRebel.mesh

December 30, 2012 1:51:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks zombie. I didn't include the fix in TSOP, because it was supposed to be fixed in the 1.1 patch (according to the patch notes). Ill work on getting this stuff incorporated, and see what else if anything was missed.

December 30, 2012 2:10:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
Thanks zombie. I didn't include the fix in TSOP, because it was supposed to be fixed in the 1.1 patch (according to the patch notes). Ill work on getting this stuff incorporated, and see what else if anything was missed.

I didn't see any mention of that in the 1.1 patch notes.

Also, last I talked to Yarlen the Art guy wasn't able to fix the Eradica. I can't recall if it was a technical issue on his end or he just wasn't available. I'm leaning towards the latter iirc.

Regardless my fix is fairly straight forward with all the original null points copied from the original file.

December 30, 2012 3:10:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Gotcha. Mesh is in. I could have miss read the patch notes. Wouldn't be the first time lol

January 6, 2013 1:57:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Major, you may have already known this but, here goes....

The "Infocard" references for artifacts (located in InfoCardIcon-Planet.brushes) are completely unused (easily noted by the fact that they all reference the same 0,0,0,0 region)...also, the "Infocard" references for planet bonuses (also located in InfoCardIcon-Planet.brushes) are duplicates of the original planet bonuses (those that existed before the new ones added in expansions) and thus are also unnecessary....

March 25, 2013 3:55:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I discover this mod and would try it next time I play. I like such attention put on details. Great!

March 25, 2013 4:00:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When I get back to modding sins, I'll add a few changes I have in mind...I'll also fiddle more with the meshInfo for each planet to make each texture equally likely to appear...

March 27, 2013 10:45:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Be warned that we removed the extra planet textures due to memory issues. You may run out of process space with them all present and crash out of the game.

March 27, 2013 12:24:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Be warned that we removed the extra planet textures due to memory issues. You may run out of process space with them all present and crash out of the game.

Can probably make up most of that converting all the particle effect textures to compressed DDS.

March 27, 2013 12:38:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Could you replace the icon for the Dark Fleet Beacon tech with the old icon representing originally planned "Charybdis Dark Fleet" tech, which was replaced by the DFB? 

I liked that picture  . Not to mention i dont like how the Dark Fleet Beacon and Returning Armada for VR have the same icon, when they are not the same tech.

June 6, 2013 5:29:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll look at it, but to be honest I don't really remember what the old icon was....

Anyway, I will hopefully be able to release a new gfx patch soon...it will include the relevant fixes of course from the current patch, but it will also include pictures/icons for all the new planet textures...

I'll probably switch the icons for furious defenses and group shield, and maybe recolorize them....I may fix some of the gfx inconsistencies with pacts, but that's really pushing it....I will also probably shift all the buttons that come from ResearchButton2...in case no one has noticed, they are all offset by a few pixels....

June 6, 2013 10:01:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, we chose not to dds the particles because they're not that big to begin with and doing so makes them look terrible (lots of compression artifacts). We only dds'd things where there wasn't a huge visual quality hit. Even so, it did save us quite a lot of precious RAM.

June 6, 2013 3:51:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

I'll look at it, but to be honest I don't really remember what the old icon was....

It was a small picture of Vorastra above a planet. It can be seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90D44l8qiBM

4:20 

June 6, 2013 3:56:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That icon still exists, so it is possible...

June 6, 2013 4:08:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Would it be possible to use your mod in addition to other mod? Just yesterday i installed the one improving shield effects based on the hit direction and i quite like it, so do not want to give up on it.

June 6, 2013 4:56:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

At the very least, my mod will make changes to some brushes files and will change the Icons_planet texture sheet...it will also make a few changes to some particle files (related to magnetic cloud and stars)....some other entities will necessarily be affected since they will have to refer to new brush references....

I may make changes to the planet entity files and a few other entities (such as any structure or ability that has its icon/picture swapped) that could be deemed as "optional changes", but I haven't decided yet...I want the mod to be as minimal as possible in terms of file changes, but I also want my mod to be easy to understand and "efficient" in case it gets used in TSOP...

There may be two versions of it that are identical in terms of in-game features, one is easier to mesh with mods and one using a more logical naming scheme for icons and pictures that I redid...

There will be no manifest changes unless something else comes up, so that is a huge help....

June 6, 2013 5:03:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As an update, I have planet pictures done/redone for the following planets:

• Terran
  • Ice
  • Desert
  • Volcanic
  • Oceanic
  • Ferrous
  • Barren
  • Greenhouse
  • Dwarf (both of them)
  • Gas Giant (both of them)
  • Occupation Planet

I will likely only be using one mesh for the asteroid (and the 2 corresponding sets of icons/pictures).  Dead asteroid will be like it was in first patch...

I will be working on HUDIcon/MainViewIcon and UndetectedMainViewIcon next...

June 6, 2013 10:48:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Be nice if this got rid of the low res/ugly asteroids (regular and resource ones),  I don't see the need to include them when we already have good looking ones in the set.

June 7, 2013 12:37:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm no 3D artist and I really can't add any new meshes or corresponding textures...best I can do is recolor existing textures or fix 2D art...

I'm not actually aware of anyone tackling the asteroids in a mod...is there even a mod where they have better asteroids?  All the mods I've seen just improve the planets...

June 7, 2013 5:22:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

I'm no 3D artist and I really can't add any new meshes or corresponding textures...best I can do is recolor existing textures or fix 2D art...

I'm not actually aware of anyone tackling the asteroids in a mod...is there even a mod where they have better asteroids?  All the mods I've seen just improve the planets...

Not all the regular and resource asteroids look like shit.  I'm not sure how many different models there are for each, but a few are decent.  Just needs some tweaks on the .entities to correct them from loading.

June 7, 2013 8:18:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is only one metal resource asteroid mesh and only 2 crystal resource asteroids...I will be omitting the crystal asteroid that does not have any corresponding picture/icons (in my opinion the one I'm keeping happens to be better looking)...

As for the asteroids, I will be using the 3 that have corresponding pictures and icons...one of these will be the dead asteroid and the other 2 will be normal asteroids...in my opinion, this happens to include what I think are the 2 best looking asteroids plus an okay asteroid...but, that is of course a matter of opinion...

If a compelling argument was made to make icons and pictures for the other 2 asteroid meshes or other crystal resource asteroid, I would consider it but it would not be an immediate priority....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time: