Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Countering "super-weapons"

By on January 31, 2013 10:23:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

shamanlord88

Join Date 05/2012

I'm a pretty inexperienced Vasari player, and whenever I play with my friends games invevitably end with my opponents building loads of defensive structures and making aggression basically impossible, and then eventually both sides get super weapons and I lose out because both Advent and TEC super weapons can literally destroy planets, while Vasari weapons are essentially a teleport, so my best bet seems to be to fire blind and hope that I hit a planet without too much defense that I can kill in time (which as you might expect doesn't generally end well). I do own Rebellion but I haven't played it much yet as my friends only own Trinity. Are these things that are balanced out in Rebellion, or is there an easy strategy that I'm just too noob to know?

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 1, 2013 4:50:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Advent superweapon is good for nothing, as the cultural impact is so weak, can be  neutralized by having a medium level culture in your empire.

Vasari has the second best superweapon, just shoot at the novalith planet, and take that out quick, then retreat. That's the strategy. It works to get starbases with government not to lose important planets, but it's better to kill the superweapons faster. Don't bother killing Deliverance engines as they rarely have huge impact, try to maintain strong cultural presence in your empire, having 1 broadcast center everywhere is more than enough..

Remember: there is no amount of defense that cannot be broken by offense. This is implemented to get rid of stalemate possibilities. Defense is always worse, as starbases can be killed without damage taken on your side, just think about bombers, they can kill all defense in no time.

Rebellion with corvettes and titans, I wouldn't say superweapons are more balanced, personally i hate the use of them, as Advent one is still ridiculously weak, Novalith requires expert micromanagement of defense, and the Vasari cannon cannot even be defended against, it will hit no matter what planet, and the unstoppable Vasari fleet will kill that planet even you get your fleet there in time..

February 16, 2013 7:15:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Turchany,
Advent superweapon is good for nothing, as the cultural impact is so weak, can be  neutralized by having a medium level culture in your empire.

Vasari has the second best superweapon, just shoot at the novalith planet, and take that out quick, then retreat. That's the strategy. It works to get starbases with government not to lose important planets, but it's better to kill the superweapons faster. Don't bother killing Deliverance engines as they rarely have huge impact, try to maintain strong cultural presence in your empire, having 1 broadcast center everywhere is more than enough..

Remember: there is no amount of defense that cannot be broken by offense. This is implemented to get rid of stalemate possibilities. Defense is always worse, as starbases can be killed without damage taken on your side, just think about bombers, they can kill all defense in no time.

Rebellion with corvettes and titans, I wouldn't say superweapons are more balanced, personally i hate the use of them, as Advent one is still ridiculously weak, Novalith requires expert micromanagement of defense, and the Vasari cannon cannot even be defended against, it will hit no matter what planet, and the unstoppable Vasari fleet will kill that planet even you get your fleet there in time..

What does Novalith require? 

February 17, 2013 6:07:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,

Step 1. Don't lose homeworld, so starbase it having emergency government.

Step2. Don't lose bigger planets, so starbase them.

Step3. If you like starbasing everything, starbase all worlds with the government upgrade, but you will still have no trade income from almost anywhere because the Novalith shot lasts 30 minutes (in theory, I think on faster settings lasts for a shorter period).

The key is not to let the other kill your planets, but this needs huge amount of resources, thats what I wanted to say, sometimes I have problems with English words and how to properly use them sorry sometimes I may write strange things.

February 17, 2013 12:48:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Turchany,

Quoting Timmaigh, reply 2

Step 1. Don't lose homeworld, so starbase it having emergency government.

Step2. Don't lose bigger planets, so starbase them.

Step3. If you like starbasing everything, starbase all worlds with the government upgrade, but you will still have no trade income from almost anywhere because the Novalith shot lasts 30 minutes (in theory, I think on faster settings lasts for a shorter period).

The key is not to let the other kill your planets, but this needs huge amount of resources, thats what I wanted to say, sometimes I have problems with English words and how to properly use them sorry sometimes I may write strange things.

Ok, that explains it. I am not native english speaker either. What nationality are you then, btw?  

February 18, 2013 4:26:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am Hungarian, and I have the highest degree (but not native speaker) in English, the problem is I got it many years ago and I cannot use it very often, mainly online.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: