Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

SOASE March 1v1 Tournament

By on February 14, 2013 4:47:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

slowreflex

Join Date 01/2013
+8

So one thing that seems to be missing is some organized tournaments.  As such, I'm going to start hosting some tournaments through Challonge.Com and see how that goes.  It's bound to be a bit rusty at first, but should improve over time.  I wasn't sure if we should do regional tournaments or global, but I thought we'd start of global and see how many people sign-up.  If a lot do then we can do regional.

Signup Page: http://soase.challonge.com/march

The idea is that you communicate with your opponent to arrange a game day / time.  This may be challenging with the timezone difference in a global tournament, but hopefully it can work.  After the match the winner is disclosed and marked on the bracket.

All skill levels welcomed to start with.  Again, if enough people, we can split into skill leagues or something.

Tournament Rules

Tempest Competitive Map - I evaluated all of the competitive maps and this is by far the fairest one.  It's under Medium Maps.

All Sub-Factions Allowed - No Wail, No Maw, No Jumping Starbases

No Pirates, Faster Game Speed, Quick Start On

Comments and feedback welcome.  Has anyone tried this before?  Any suggestions on how it should be run?  Other than that, please sign-up using the link above and hopefully we get enough people to give it a try.  Over time this will work better with seeding, but I don't know enough of the players to do seeding yet.

43 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 14, 2013 1:25:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wail and Maw both have a negative that balances them, If you haven't beaten either race by the time they have maw or a decent wail, you've been outplayed therefore deserving to lose.

I'd hesitate the say the same for jumping sbs, they aren't invincible especially after the nerfs

February 14, 2013 1:42:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ViaRed,
Wail and Maw both have a negative that balances them, If you haven't beaten either race by the time they have maw or a decent wail, you've been outplayed therefore deserving to lose.

I'd hesitate the say the same for jumping sbs, they aren't invincible especially after the nerfs

Well that just seemed to be the consensus of the forum.  I don't really care either way as I won't win the tournament and am just playing for fun. 

If others want to change the rules to include everything then that's fine with me.  The important thing is that we give the tournament a try and learn from it to make the next one better.

February 14, 2013 5:15:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ViaRed,

Yes, because Orky rushing and early game Advent fleets are totally awful...

February 14, 2013 6:29:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The only problem that I see would be, as you already stated, communicating appicable gaming times.  Those who would sign up would have to give their Steam username in order for communication to be the smoothest.  Then comes the question, how - or who - choses the matches for each player?  Are we seriously going to write a program to do it for us, or will be do it based off of ranking?  For instance, have a tournament of players between 0-100 games total, 101-200 games total, 201-300 games total, etc.  This will make it much more even for those who are interested in participating but not necessarily capable of going up against Quar or kbroke.  That would mean approximately, what, eight different "Levels of Combat" and a tournament for each level?  Then a finale for the winners of each Level to be proclaimed the "God of Sins" or whatever. 

To be honest, I absolutely love the idea of setting up a tournament.  But, another question is if we will get enough people interested?  I mean, honestly, how many peoply play SOASE that actually check the forums?  It would have to be a community-wide "organization" so-to-speak that would prep everyone for the tournaments. 

Again, I love the idea, but it will be time consuming for those who are nominated as the "Head Masters" of the tournament (those who would organize the whole ordeal).  I could easily see the forum posts and organization getting out of hand very quickly, that is, depending on the community's response...

February 14, 2013 8:57:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting KSSSWM,
This will make it much more even for those who are interested in participating but not necessarily capable of going up against Quar or kbroke.

I'm sorry to pick on this one sentence but it is quite hilarious for reasons I don't have to explain to ICO regulars...

I also love the idea of a tournament...and I even thought about trying to organize one myself back when I played more regularly but even then the idea of trying to get this community co-ordinated enough for it made me reconsider and just be happy we could manage getting some 5v5s going. I think the time for a large tournament in this game has passed but hopefully I'm proven wrong...I'm assuming this one here is intended for 1v1?

February 15, 2013 6:10:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@Ekko_Tek - Yes this is a 1v1 tournament.  I'll add that to the OP to make it more clear.

@KSSSWM - The website build a ladder and does all of that hard work for us.  Ideally everyone is given a seed and it uses those seeds to make the bracket in a standard way (like the Final Four tournament).  It tries to make it so that high seeds don't face eachother until the later stages of the tournament.  To start with though, it will just randomize everyone.  After a few tournaments the seeding should be more clear and people will know where they stand.  So yes, you could have one of the worse against one of the best, but I don't see anything wrong with that.  The best one "should" thrash the worse one quickly and move on to another opponent.

For communication, you can do this through the tournament website by PM'ing eachother.  Each tournament also has it's own discussion forum.

--

So people seem interested, but no-one has signed up yet.  Please sign-up and you will see the bracket start forming and it will make more sense.  Yes, it will be messy as the first tournament, but let's still give it a go and see what happens!

February 15, 2013 6:56:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think a lot of people are afraid we finally may get "proof" of their real skill...easy to hide behind a 5s team and blame other people for things....

February 15, 2013 8:38:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting KSSSWM,
not necessarily capable of going up against Quar or kbroke.

I lol'd

February 15, 2013 8:40:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Srsly though, I like this idea.  I'm a fan of 1v1s and I'm happy to put my record on the line against anybody (and I know there are many that can beat me, but I love a good challenging game).

Signing up.

February 15, 2013 8:42:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Um... reflex I registered at the site but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to actually sign up for the tourny itself.  Do you have to open registration or something?

February 15, 2013 8:58:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't think I will actually sign up for this as my very random playtimes, BUT I have to mention a thing. Match outcomes can really be influenced by bad maps, even competitive maps act like a teenage girl sometimes, and turn out to be even worse than a normal random map.. Last time I played a 1v1 against someone close to my skill, but because of his starting position I could easily defeat him like he was a really lower skill player and he stood no chance..

So be careful with map choosing.

February 15, 2013 9:42:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Turchany,
Match outcomes can really be influenced by bad maps, even competitive maps act like a teenage girl sometimes, and turn out to be even worse than a normal random map.. 

Agreed.  However, this is one of the aspects of SOASE....although having some perfectly equal maps would make the tournament much more balanced....

February 15, 2013 9:48:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Mr_Book,
Um... reflex I registered at the site but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to actually sign up for the tourny itself.  Do you have to open registration or something?

Same. I registered, but find no way to join...do I simply PM you?

February 15, 2013 10:00:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You should see a sign-up page now.  Let me know if you don't.  Thanks for joining in!

February 15, 2013 10:02:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's working now, thanks reflex and great work setting this up!

February 15, 2013 10:05:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Aye, good job!  I'm going to create an Event for this on the official Sins: Rebellion Steam Community as well.

February 15, 2013 10:29:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,
Aye, good job!  I'm going to create an Event for this on the official Sins: Rebellion Steam Community as well.

Awesome!  Thanks for the support.

February 15, 2013 2:22:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just signed up, and I must say, this is looking incredibly awesome right now!

February 16, 2013 8:18:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We have six sign-ups so far and it starts on March 1st.  I'm aiming to get at least 16 to have a nice tournament.  Remember this is for all skill levels.  Please spread the word about it.  Thanks.

February 16, 2013 10:32:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I had a quick thought as to the rules.  Should, for VL, we allow The Maw but ban Desperation?  The latter seems to be the one that most people have the problem with, since it can take out herds of corvettes and practically anything else.  This would make the VL titan, however, not particularly useful in comparison to others until it reaches lvl 6 for The Maw...

Just a thought.

February 16, 2013 10:36:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Or...a mod could be made that:

• Removes corvettes from the target filter of Desperation
  • Removes Starbase Mobilization tech
  • Halves damage of wail

I realize Vasari would still be strongest, but at least nothing would have to be banned...

February 16, 2013 11:03:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting KSSSWM,
I had a quick thought as to the rules.  Should, for VL, we allow The Maw but ban Desperation?  The latter seems to be the one that most people have the problem with, since it can take out herds of corvettes and practically anything else.  This would make the VL titan, however, not particularly useful in comparison to others until it reaches lvl 6 for The Maw...

Just a thought.

I'll go along with whatever others want.  I just did those rules as that's what most people seem to complain about.  We might just leave it to a vote on the rules closer to the start date.

February 16, 2013 12:07:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lol same old arguments. My point really addressed the time and resources, not to mention the planets that are required to get to wail. Whilst maintaining a fleet that can win. No I stand by my original argument. 

If you're letting a vasari player get his titan to level 6, you've probably already lost and it's just a matter of time. With or without using Maw.

February 16, 2013 1:07:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ViaRed,
Lol same old arguments. My point really addressed the time and resources, not to mention the planets that are required to get to wail. Whilst maintaining a fleet that can win. No I stand by my original argument. 

If you're letting a vasari player get his titan to level 6, you've probably already lost and it's just a matter of time. With or without using Maw.

Red,  I see where you're coming from and understand your point: if you suck bad enough to let the other player get to that point, then you should be eliminated.  But there are those players out there that have entire strategies revolved around Wail or jumping Orkies, strategies that can dominate practically anyone within the first few minutes of a game. 

Think of it this way, Wail is, what, a lvl 6 tech?  Well, you can get 4 labs up on just your HW without scuttling anything pretty quickly.  Colonize one more planet (the roid), and you have Wail.  Send your Progenetor to colonize the front lines, find the other player's fleet, and presto, you Wail, repeatedly.

Basically, same thing goes for Jumping Starbases, where you go straight military.  Yes, it does require more subsequent techs than Wail, but once you have it, all you need is one SB and you can dominate with a structure that can outperform most low-level titans relatively early in the game.   

Quoting Seleuceia,
Or...a mod could be made that:

Removes corvettes from the target filter of Desperation
Removes Starbase Mobilization tech
Halves damage of wail

I realize Vasari would still be strongest, but at least nothing would have to be banned...

I do kind of like this idea.  However, it would make it so that anyone who wants to play in the tournament has to have a specific mod, which may deter some players form participating.  Now, as for the idea that Vasari would still be the strongest...there's really nothing that we can do about that besides simply acceptance...

February 16, 2013 2:36:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You are aware that if that strategy was to be used, the other player would've scouted or atleast caught on. Using the others lack of expansion to expand rapidly. And if he's only got 2 worlds, with only one of which would produce a decent wail.. (hw) hes not really in a great position. Same story if he does send he prog forward, he needs to let the planet he plans to wail off of to get the required amount of populace to do sizable damage to the fleet.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001219   Page Render Time: