Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Legendary Heroes–February review

By on March 1, 2013 4:39:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1117

SNAGHTML524315fLast month a lot of time was spent on Fallen Enchantress v1.3.  We also used that time to do a lot of play-testing of Legendary Heroes.  The more we play, the more we think players are going to like it. 

Memory

We are going to delay the beta one more week. We were planning on having it come out next Thursday. But after talking to the marketing team, it was decided that the question of 32-bit support needed to be answered by the time pre-orders start.  That is, will Legendary Heroes allow 32-bit users to play on the new “Huge” map size.   

So I’ll be spending this weekend doing memory profiling to see what can be done to see if 32-bit users (and yea, there’s  a lot of them out there) will be able to play these huge maps. 

More Game Help

The annual Stardock report is going to be coming out soon. One of the things it’s going to touch on is that Stardock used a lot of the money used from the sale of Impulse back in 2011 to create a fund to help launch new start-ups.  We haven’t announced any of these new entities yet and won’t be for awhile. But the bottom line is that there’s a lot of game projects floating around here and as I’ve said many times in the past, I don’t like designing games and Kael has crazy amounts on his plate and Jon is full-time on “At the Gates”.   So we’ve gotten some help…

We’ve brought on board someone many of you know – Soren Johnson (designer of Civilization IV) who has come to Stardock, at least for awhile, to oversee the design of all our games.  Obviously, my boss, Derek (Kael – I run Stardock but Derek runs the game studio and in the game studio I’m the lead programmer so I execute his directives, yes, it’s weird) ..anyway he will still be the one to ultimately approve and massage these designs but we’re grateful for Soren’s help.  So please give Soren a warm welcome.  I think his impact on our upcoming (think 2014/2015/2016) will be pretty obvious.

One last thing

This is going to be a big thing next week but Stardock has a killer app for Windows 8 that’s being announced and made available next week. Start8 continues to grow in popularity, I think this new app will be at least as popular.

We’ll keep you guys up to speed. We read the forums and try to incorporate what we can.   We’d like to send a particular shout out to the Penny-Arcade forums for coming up with the “Swarm” mechanic which has really changed (for the better) the tactical battle mechanics. 

That’s all for now. Cheers!

53 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 2, 2013 8:00:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am glad you are optimising your game but I wouldn't spend too much time making sure people with machines that are borderline obsolete can play your largest maps.

March 2, 2013 8:10:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Large maps with Max everything (including Quests) on Challenging AI and World Difficulty are fun and take a while and are quite enjoyable to finish.  I say make sure 32-bitters can play Large without trouble and leave Huge maps as a 64-bit-only feature.   After all, if there are too few incentives to upgrade to 64-bit operating systems, it will take even longer than they already have to come into prominence.

March 2, 2013 8:23:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol they are already pretty prominent. Finding a 32 bit machine locally would take some serious effort.

March 2, 2013 8:35:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not many games are being made with 64-bit requirements though.  I know all processors are 64-bit these days, but there are still a lot of legacy 32-bitter OSs around.

March 2, 2013 8:50:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting n0fo,

lol they are already pretty prominent. Finding a 32 bit machine locally would take some serious effort.

There have been some surveys done by marketing firms working for computer publications. This past year, at least, the Windows OS was still pretty evenly split between Win7 and WinXP, the edge going to Win7. Vista was completely out of the picture. Nobody has surveyed on how WinXP users split between 32-bit ad 64-bit, though. I certainly wouldn 't count the former out just yet. A year or two down the line: definitely.

March 2, 2013 8:50:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Welcome on board Soren! Thank you for Civ IV, it's the best. I'm looking forward to playing your new games. And please, be active on the forums

Froggy, what's your next move: will you hire Brian Reynolds? 

edit: what happened to my avatar? 

March 2, 2013 10:44:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Welcome Soren and thanks from me too for the countless hours i ve spended on Civ IV. Best of luck and bring us more good games

March 2, 2013 10:47:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting n0fo,

I am glad you are optimising your game but I wouldn't spend too much time making sure people with machines that are borderline obsolete can play your largest maps.

Even if only 33% of your sales come from customers running 32-bit PC's, would you really want to lose 1/3rd of your business sales based on what your perception of the market should be and not what it actually is?

March 2, 2013 5:53:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If they can make it happen then no reason not too do it.  Sales are sales and cutting out some sales because you think people need to upgrade is rather arrogant and you will end up losing out.  Look at World of Warcraft.  One reason that helped them was you didnt need a high end system to play it.  I had many friends that had low low end computers and played it fine, thus it added to Blizz's sales(though there were also many other reasons why WoW did so good, this is just one).  If Blizz would come along(and I actually think they did) up the requirements drastically they could lose out(and again I think they did do this in one expansion).  So if 32 bit can be added with a minimum of cost, why not?  Makes good business sense.  Bottom line is that they are a business and that means they need people from all over the spectrum to be buying their product.  If they can put out a high end and low end...good for them.  Im not a buisness guru but if it is minimal cost = some profit, I would think that would be a good thing right?  Cost vs profit?  All I know is im looking forward to this.

Also wondering will I have to buy this off Steam or whatnot or will i be able to purchase it directly from Stardock?  Im not turning this into a bash Steam thread, but with my schedule I like to just buy my stuff and then play it without having to worry about an internet connection.  I know you can put it into offline mode, but I like it where I dont have to worry about that.

March 2, 2013 6:02:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good points regarding the Huge maps.

I'm hoping it will let you run the game without Steam being connected, like the way it works for FE on Steam.  But it is possible if it is integrated that this will not be possible.  I've got my fingers crossed that it will be able to run without Steam involvement, but still require Steam for updates etc.

Devs, and Derek specifically, will the LH executable require Steam running, or will it be able to run separately like FE (and some other games) can do when bought from Steam?

March 3, 2013 4:37:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

welcome back to serious videogames Soren... it's about time you left Zynga

March 3, 2013 4:58:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,

Good points regarding the Huge maps.

I'm hoping it will let you run the game without Steam being connected, like the way it works for FE on Steam.  But it is possible if it is integrated that this will not be possible.  I've got my fingers crossed that it will be able to run without Steam involvement, but still require Steam for updates etc.

Devs, and Derek specifically, will the LH executable require Steam running, or will it be able to run separately like FE (and some other games) can do when bought from Steam?

Just to verify- FE does work on Steam without needing Steam to be connected?  Doing that to me is exactly what I want.

for the folks saying that Brad is going to lose sales- he won't- the folks who have 32-bit machines can still play LH, just not the largest maps.

March 3, 2013 6:02:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, Large maps can still be a heap of fun (for the 32-bitters).  Huge maps would be better when you have more than 8 players though, and more players requires more memory anyway.

One of the other forum members reported that they had the Steam version of FE and it doesn't require Steam to be on to run.  But it is not certain whether this will be the same for LH.  Hopefully it will, and just need Steam to update.

Frogboy/Derek, will LH need the Steam executable running to run, or will it be like the Steam version of FE which doesn't?

March 3, 2013 10:33:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there any chance you could implement some quick-n-dirty Hall Of Fame/High Score in the expansion? The score could be calculated in a similar way as in the Civilzation games (difficulty, holdings, units, buildings, money, research, victory date and land area could for instance be the basis of the calculation).

Ever since I first played Civ I the Hall of Fame has been among the only things that has increased the replay value for me, and the lack of it is what keeps me from truly enjoying Fallen Enchantress as much as I'd like to do.

I hope my voice goes through so this amazing game can become even better!

Regards

Ivar.

March 3, 2013 10:50:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With the release of LH, what happens to FE? That is, can I toggle between FE and LH 'modes', or does FE become LH after purchase?

I may want to play FE after purchasing LH (I might prefer a certain play style one day and another play style at a different time); will I be able to do so, or will FE as I know it become non-existent after installation of LH?

March 3, 2013 11:41:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting flagyl,

With the release of LH, what happens to FE? That is, can I toggle between FE and LH 'modes', or does FE become LH after purchase?

I may want to play FE after purchasing LH (I might prefer a certain play style one day and another play style at a different time); will I be able to do so, or will FE as I know it become non-existent after installation of LH?

It's my understanding that you will be able to toggle between the two. However, keep in mind that LH can only be purchased through Steam.

March 3, 2013 11:57:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Quoting flagyl, reply 40
It's my understanding that you will be able to toggle between the two. However, keep in mind that LH can only be purchased through Steam.

Actually you'll still be able to buy LH directly from Stardock, but no matter how you get it you'll get a Steam key that has to be used to play LH.

See quote below from Kael's LH FAQ's post: http://forums.elementalgame.com/439970 

Can I get Legendary Heroes on Steam?

Legendary Heroes is integrated with Steam.  So everyone that gets it will have it on Steam, no matter where they purchase it from (even if they purchase directly from Stardock).  Those players that will be receiving free copies will be receiving a steam key for the game.

March 3, 2013 12:41:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That is great news. Thanks Borg999.

March 3, 2013 1:39:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ivathoma,

Is there any chance you could implement some quick-n-dirty Hall Of Fame/High Score in the expansion? The score could be calculated in a similar way as in the Civilzation games (difficulty, holdings, units, buildings, money, research, victory date and land area could for instance be the basis of the calculation).

Ever since I first played Civ I the Hall of Fame has been among the only things that has increased the replay value for me, and the lack of it is what keeps me from truly enjoying Fallen Enchantress as much as I'd like to do.

Regards

Ivar.

I would second that. Have some kind of continuity between games is always good, now i feel once I hit that "main menu" bottom hours of my efforts are just gone with the wind.

For now dude, just print out a screenshots of the victory score screen and keep in a nice little binder for souvenir!  

March 3, 2013 3:08:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

for doubters, you dont need steam being active to run it.

I think just to register it.

additionaly,

how hard would it be to be able to get maps as scenarios for future games FROM SAVEGAME!

I had some perfect maps randomly generated in a few games....

March 3, 2013 3:11:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmm, can't edit or quote peoples on forum, I wonder why....?

anyway, forgot to add: good addition to the team, may you release a long and prosperous line of hits for good people that like games and that you listen to; and may you never become as obnoxious as those big game studios.

May you revolutionize the MOBA genre with Demigod 2 (my private fantasy...)

March 4, 2013 8:04:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We’ve brought on board someone many of you know – Soren Johnson

Wow, another great hire for Stardock!  Civ 4 is an outstanding game, and Soren's postmortem in the appendix of the Civ 4 manual is a must read for anybody interested in game design.

March 4, 2013 10:56:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ed98027,

Quoting ivathoma, reply 39

Regards

Ivar.

I would second that. Have some kind of continuity between games is always good, now i feel once I hit that "main menu" bottom hours of my efforts are just gone with the wind.

For now dude, just print out a screenshots of the victory score screen and keep in a nice little binder for souvenir!  

I would appreciate this as well.  Even just a more detailed score screen at the end...   maybe a history a la Sins.

What I REALLY want is someway to influence the next game, next game you start with a hero/an item/knowledge/an extra trait, a few cities, etc  Maybe a relative  of a past game - i.e. its the "2nd generation".  1st generation had no winner, 2nd generation starts with a couple heroes, some research and a few cities.  Something.

March 5, 2013 6:20:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent news about Soren. I really hope Kael and Frogboy have a good talk with Soren about how to tighten up the strategic game in FE/LH. IMO Civ 4 is the gold standard on how to balance the various strategic trade offs, particularly expansion vs vertical growth and military vs economy (not quite as dominant at the latter but still excellent).

March 5, 2013 7:36:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting athelasloraiel,

hmm, can't edit or quote peoples on forum, I wonder why....?

anyway, forgot to add: good addition to the team, may you release a long and prosperous line of hits for good people that like games and that you listen to; and may you never become as obnoxious as those big game studios.

May you revolutionize the MOBA genre with Demigod 2 (my private fantasy...)

Noticing that bug seems to be linked with flash for me.  It's definitely a forum problem from time to time.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: