Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Kol/cobalt/javelin spam counter

By on March 4, 2013 10:45:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

r4mmr0d

Join Date 06/2009
+1

Hey guys, 

My friends and i have been playing a number of 5-6 hour 2v2s with Entrenchment.  In the last couple of games the TEC guys have simply spammed un-upgraded cobalt/javs and slowly amassed 3-4 Kol capitals each and we are having a lot of trouble countering the spam effectively.  It seems like even focusing the javs (vast numbers of them) isn't fast enough to avoid a total wipe of our fleets.  I've been trying Ilum/disciple/a few guardians spam to counter but i'm usually hurting for crystal (Despite upgrades) and their capitals slowly attrition the ilums.  The funny part is that my teammate and I usually get more econ upgrades then them early, so i would have expected that we would out-sustain them.  

The annoying part is that they spam for the duration of the game, so they genuinely end up only building three unit types/a support capital or two by the end of four hours.  I'm sure there are more effective combos but it seems hard to counter the sheer mass they can acquire over the course of an hour or more.

TLDR:

1. How to counter 2 player Kol/cobal/jav spam early/mid/late game (its all they do, wave after wave)

2.  Race is unimportant, we will roll anything that can counter it.

3. Game Version is Entrenchment

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 4, 2013 11:03:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Step 1: buy Rebellion

March 4, 2013 11:18:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have it.  2 of the guys don't.  If you're offering to buy it for them then i'll give you my paypal, if not then i'd appreciate some form of constructive input.

March 4, 2013 11:44:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

if you are seeing kobalt and jav spam then you have to counter act to what is being spammed. you do understand that javelins counter kobalts and flak frigates or fighters counter javelins. so there you have it. its scissors and rocks vrs scissors and papers. don't jump in a fight with out an addiquit supply of fleets. the reason why i said that is because kobalts can also counter flaks. if your still having problems then i strongly suggest you and your friends to read up on sins training manual. the manual itself will provide you the knowledge of what each ships are capable of and what they can be countered against. very effective and highly recommended. you will also be given a clue to the mysterious device called gravity well inhibitors origin which is currently unknow by all factions of sins.

March 4, 2013 5:14:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How do LRFs + flak counter LFs + LRFs? 

Your LRFs will start beating on their LFs, which will simultaneously be beating on your flak....because the flak vs. LRF is the softest of the three counters and flak is the least useful unit for focus firing on SBs and caps, the LF + LRF fleet will always have an advantage...add in the fact that flak build slowly and are expensive, and it just doesn't make for a good fleet composition unless your opponent goes all LRF or is swarming with a ton of fighters (neither of which seem to be the case in the OP)....

I would say that pure LRF would be much better...you go toe to toe with their LRFs while creaming their LFs, giving you the advantage....additionally, you have much better focus firing capabilities than your opponent...

March 4, 2013 6:52:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I tried massed LRF and the cobalts kill it pretty fast :/.

March 4, 2013 10:36:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

LRFs counter cobalts, and counter them hard...pre-rebellion, it is probably the hardest counter in the game other than flak vs. fighters....

Either you are vastly outnumbered or you are being vastly outplayed....pure LRF should beat a comparable fleet made of LRF and LFs...if you are Advent and using illuminators, you must absolutely micro your units so that all three beams on each ship are firing...that means moving your illuminators into the middle of the fight...

You also need to make use of your Advent capital ships...malice on the progenitor and vertigo on the rapture are your friends (prog is a better cap to lead with)...these will help your ships outperform the enemy...

Remember that LRMs will beat illuminators in a straight fight unless you have cap abilities and really good micromanagement...

If you are getting to the late game, honestly you could just use heavy cruisers...of course the problem with that is bomber spam rapes HCs, but sometimes you can gain the necessary momentum with HCs to prevent an opponent from getting to that stage...

March 5, 2013 12:57:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you Seleuceia  and Civer, I appreciate the advice.

March 31, 2013 2:08:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

it just means his eco macro/micro is so bad and because of it he hasn't built enough lrm to counter lf..

April 2, 2013 2:47:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Javelins are Battlefield. Tpoy mcuh?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: